Home

Jedi Academy Reloaded (admin mod for JA)

zERoCooL2479

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark this day on your calendars everyone, 12/4/03 is the day that just being able to connect to public servers and play without being put to sleep or being turned into a wombat because you pissed of some 9 year old with rcon, has now come to an end.

I personally don’t care this time around because base game play bores me to death, but I do feel sorry for a lot of you who just like to connect to servers and play the game.

Uh, guys. Chosen One stated that he got the picture and had removed all the abusable functions....unlike xmod2 or Omnimod.

EDIT: Before all the xmod2 groupies show up to complain, I honestly don't remember if xmod2 has abusive admin functions or not. I appaligize if it doesn't.

I read the readme for Jedi Academy Reloaded 1.0 and compared it to the readme for Jedi Academy Mod 1.4 for JK2.

While keeping the benign\useful features from JA Mod 1.4 (client IP logging, moving banlist out of g_banips, multiline MOTD, psay, /ignore so players can ignore chat from spammers/killtracker users/racists, etc.), cHoSeN oNe

REMOVED the following commands that were in JA Mod 1.4 from Jedi Academy Reloaded 1.0:

removed slap

removed punish

removed explode

removed empower

removed terminator

removed bunny

removed protect

and to be fair, even xMod 1.2.0 had commands like:

x_ckill <client> Will kill a client with a lightning effect

x_cslap <client> (<vel1> <vel2> <vel3> <damage>) Will smack a client with option damage and direction

x_cprotect <client> Will protect a client like they just spawned in

x_csleep <client> Will put the client to sleep or wake them up

x_ctrip <client> Will knock a client down like they were kicked

x_cfreeze <client> Will freeze client or unfreeze them

so there is less potential for player abuse with Jedi Academy Reloaded 1.0 then there was with either Jedi Academy Mod 1.4 or xMod 1.2.0 for JK2, and far less than the new OmniAdminMod 1.1, which retains "features" like:

- amslap <clientnumber> - slaps <clientnumber> across the room

- amslay <clientnumber> - kills <clientnumber> exploding them

or DCMoD which will have:

Improved explode, all body parts flinging off

Silence players, Sleep players, freeze players

Toggle peoples saber on and off

bantoggle (when set to a player it cant ignite/turn off saber)

/amrob , robs all weapons from a person

/amget (teleport a player to you)

/amtakemeto (teleport to a player)

empowerment, terminator (999 ammo, all weps) banforce...

/amfly and /amland, allows logged in admins to fly around the map as if in spectator mode (invisible)

Isn't better, if admin mods are going to be used (as we know they will be), that Jedi Academy Reloaded is there to compete with abuse-prone mods like DCMoD and OmniAdminMod?

I applaud cHoSeN oNe for removing those abuse-prone commands. He certainly didn't have to. Let's give the guy some credit for moving in the right direction. It takes a big person to realize and admit they made a mistake, and take corrective action.

Thank you cHoSeN oNe.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

I read the readme for Jedi Academy Reloaded 1.0 and compared it to the readme for Jedi Academy Mod 1.4 for JK2.

While keeping the benign\useful features from JA Mod 1.4 (client IP logging, moving banlist out of g_banips, multiline MOTD, psay, /ignore so players can ignore chat from spammers/killtracker users/racists, etc.), cHoSeN oNe

REMOVED the following commands that were in JA Mod 1.4 from Jedi Academy Reloaded 1.0:

removed slap

removed empower

removed terminator

removed bunny

removed punish

removed protect

and to be fair, even xMod 1.2.0 had commands like:

x_ckill <client> Will kill a client with a lightning effect

x_cslap <client> (<vel1> <vel2> <vel3> <damage>) Will smack a client with option damage and direction

x_cprotect <client> Will protect a client like they just spawned in

x_csleep <client> Will put the client to sleep or wake them up

x_ctrip <client> Will knock a client down like they were kicked

x_cfreeze <client> Will freeze client or unfreeze them

so there is less potential for player abuse with Jedi Academy Reloaded 1.0 then there was with either Jedi Academy Mod 1.4 or xMod 1.2.0 for JK2, and far less than the new OmniAdminMod 1.1, which retains "features" like:

- amslap <clientnumber> - slaps <clientnumber> across the room

- amslay <clientnumber> - kills <clientnumber> exploding them

Isn't better, if admin mods are going to be used (as we know they will be), that Jedi Academy Reloaded is there to compete with abuse-prone mods like OmniAdminMod?

I applaud cHoSeN oNe for removing those abuse-prone commands. He certainly didn't have to. Let's give the guy some credit for moving in the right direction. It takes a big person to realize and admit they made a mistake, and take corrective action.

Thank you cHoSeN oNe.

well cs has slay, freeze, slap and other commands of the like but they aren't abused because everyone focuses on playing the game. just like ctf servers, where xmod was, people focused on playing cuase if they stopped and chattered a bit their team would likely lose.

it's not just the functions in the mods.... it's the people who will be using them.

Who is going to use =X= mod?

Competition players and serious players.

How often do you think that people will stop in the middle of a league match to /msleep a player on the opposing team because some player had a saber down?

You have to look at things in perspective, and the bottom line is =X= mod could have 7868768768768686876876 admin punishment commands, but the people who will run that mod on their servers are not exactly the types of players who bitch, piss and moan about "lamers".

Now look at who is going to run this Academy mod:

Honor newbie’s and emote junkies.

Mark my word; give these retards the ability to "point and click ban" and Jedi Academy is going to end up just like Outcast did after all these mods landed in our laps back then.

Like I said, I feel real sorry for you base JA players and all the bull**** you are going to have to put up with due to this mod.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

it's not just the functions in the mods.... it's the people who will be using them.

How often do you think that people will stop in the middle of a league match to /msleep a player on the opposing team because some player had a saber down?

You have to look at things in perspective, and the bottom line is =X= mod could have 7868768768768686876876 admin punishment commands, but the people who will run that mod on their servers are not exactly the types of players who bitch, piss and moan about "lamers".

Mark my word; give these retards the ability to "point and click ban" and Jedi Academy is going to end up just like Outcast did after all these mods landed in our laps back then.

Like I said, I feel real sorry for you base JA players and all the bull**** you are going to have to put up with due to this mod.

LMAO, your tottaly wrong. maybe thats what you will do if your an admin, but WHATS THE POINT OF RUNNING A SERVER????

to get admin powers!!

All admin powers will be abused, wheather you will or not, is NOT the problem!

No mod is SO cool that a 9 year old admin wont abuse powers. And yes 9 year old kids do have mods like xmod on there servers.

Originally posted by SpecialForces

LMAO, your tottaly wrong. maybe thats what you will do if your an admin, but WHATS THE POINT OF RUNNING A SERVER????

to get admin powers!!

All admin powers will be abused, wheather you will or not, is NOT the problem!

No mod is SO cool that a 9 year old admin wont abuse powers. And yes 9 year old kids do have mods like xmod on there servers.

/to the rest of you reading this

This is the part where a person normally would say "I told you so".

Actually, since all those commands have been taken out of the mod itself, it is great for all purposes. Since I know all the commands due to me being an admin, what is left to abuse isn't much at all. Sleep is pretty much it. I can be used in bad manners but I don't know if anyone would get a kick out of sleeping people because sleeping makes them invincible so it is not like you can sleep kill. Also, do you really think it would be fun just to sleep someone then wake then and sleep. It just gets boring so with less options to use, the less likely it will be abused (note the rhyme). Anyway I applaud Chosen for his mod and I hope it goes well.

I know most you other people who dislike this mod are people who probably are very stuck in their ways and what I said above will have no affect and you will continue to banter. But this is ok. But it was the most used mod in the JKO community and from the servers that I played on that used it, it worked very nicely. The majority of people doesn't make it right, but also the majority of people doesn't make it wrong.

Since Rcon is very limiting, I believe this is the best choice admins.

Originally posted by SpecialForces

to get admin powers!!

No...you are the one that is totally wrong.

I as well as many others, especially the FK | run servers so other people who play the game seriousely have a place to do so. It has nothing at all to do with admin's having "emote powers".

Your as lost and clueless as Rosh Penin.

Actually, the functions in a mod are what attracts the people using them. If xmod did indeed have that many admin powers, the "honor newbies" will chose it over all else.

However, I do see the potential of abusive admins overrunning this game :(

I agree with your sentiments, though I sincerely wish you (And pretty much everyone in this board) would phrase them in a more friendly manner...

The only things I was looking for in a jedi academy server mod are multi duels, a true ingame motd and moving the banlist out of g_banips. Now hopefully xmod will provide that in the near future and I'll be able to use it in my server, otherwise I'll have to install this one and have my server unfairly generalized as is standard around these parts.

Oh well...

This is what I've been thinking lately (and isn't it obvious?):

Admin Mods are created and promoted by people who subscribe to the "Honor Dueling" model of JA/JK2 online play.

Now that's not to say that an admin mod can't have other uses (as Amidala points out), such as keeping a running tally of people that have been banned, or using black names or hilt/skins and stuff that's packed into a mod like this.

But the main point of the mod seems to be to have an Admin with "godlike" powers to "deal out rewards and punishments" to players in a way to enforce an "honor code" (whatever that code of honor is).

The gamemode itself is setup to encourage "honorable dueling" that is, a game type that is in all ways identical to "Duel" except that instead of being in spectator mode, the other players are wandering around with their avatars in the gaming world.

They're supposed to either be dueling, or standing around "role playing".... talking to each other, using emotes to "pretend" and such like that. Though the emotes seem to be intended to "negotiate" with the admin (they're supposed to use the "beg" command to apologize after the scolding the admin gives them with the slap and other punishments) and to "role play" during a duel.

Since this style of play is totally alien to the original intents of the Raven developers, people who like to play the base game modes (CTF, FFA, Duel, Siege) such as myself have no use for an admin mod and in fact find them annoying, especially in their abuse (ie: Admins being jerks, using commands to cheat, or take out their petty frustrations on players who can't do anything to defend themselves). The "honor" system to me is pointless.

The game already has all the tools necessary in order to have two players saber dueling one on one with no interferance and a level playing field. Admins already have the power to (more or less) permanently remove players they don't like from the game.

*Muses*

The only real benefit I can see in an admin mod is the ability for more than one group of people to duel at once, thus (theoretically) eliminating the "line waiting boredom" syndrome prevelant in popular Dueling servers.

However, this option alone could be used apart from all the other "stuff" like the slapping and sleeping and emoting and whatnot. It's too bad somebody doesn't just release a stand alone "multiple duels allowed in FFA" mod, then people wouldn't be forced (or tempted) to use all this other nonesense.

And theoretically XMod would cater to competative players.

However, I haven't (yet, and I know the mod is far from finished) seen any real evidence that this would be so for Xmod.

The presence of a (partially functional) flip kick would theoretically lead to more combo possibilities and options for sabers only ctf (as we've been lectured about numerous times already).

But somebody could just as easily play Xmod with this option turned off could they not? So somebody could download and use xmod simply because they don't like Pull+Throw.

The "goal" of Xmod2 seems to be to restore in the minds of former JK2 "elite players" the style of gameplay they liked in the previous game as opposed to JA. Good luck to them and I hope they are successful in their quest.

Though, conversely, somebody (like Amidala) could theoretically use an Admin mod just for one or two features it offers rather than as a way to enforce "honorable dueling" in a FFA setting.

I'm sorry if I come across abusive but these mods are just pure garbage on so many levels and it really pisses me off to no end that these mod makers keep making these types of mods when they know full well the damage they cause to the overall community but turn a blind eye.

Look let's ignore all the stupid commands like "sleep" for a second and focus on the biggest problem with these mods:

Point and click banning.

The whole "rcon is too confusing/limiting" argument is just plain absurd.

/rcon status

(gives you the client IP and client #)

/rcon addip <IP address here>

/rcon clientkick <# here>

That's all it takes to permanently ban a client in a quake 3 engine game.

How hard was that?

If you have admins on a server that are too damn stupid/lazy to remember/enter those 3 simple commands, then you have people who are not qualified to be running a server... running your server.

The thing is most server owners would NEVER give full rcon to a 9 year old kid.

Why?

Because the chances are he would screw things up all to hell.

Yet we give this immature, temperamental child the ability to point and click ban every person who enters the server at his will?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees just how ass-backwards of a mentality that is.

And that's exactly what happened on public servers that ran this mod in Outcast and it is what will happen again.

Every time some brat does not get his way, you can expect a /kickban.

And the sad part is, much of the time the server owners have no clue what all the "sub admins" or whatever they are called, do to people.

Now on to the sleep command.

Why is this needed?

Other than to give 9 year old brats a means to stand over helpless players, and call them "faggots lamers" before they ban them...

Maybe if you read the Readme or knew 1 thing about this mod for JK:JA, you would know that I have:

a) Not added any emotes other than unlocking the ones Raven gave us for ffa.

b) Got rid of admin empower, terminator, punish, protect, slap, bunny.

c) There are no added abusable commands.

Bottom line, this mod is safe and not destructive like the predecessors. The only person you should be ranting and raving about is the person that has not seen through this and has decided to release abusive crap to the community again. Sorry, but you really need to point the finger elsewhere this time!

PS: In case you didnt know, you can only ban a certain amount of ip's before flushing the server to make room. The cVar was replaced by an external file (which doesnt reset when you restart the server) called banIP.dat. The reason secondary admins were made is cause we dont want people to have the ability to shut the server down or nerf cvars. Giving them enough abilities to do what is right on the server in case someone is being a complete d-head.

Originally posted by Kurgan

And theoretically XMod would cater to competative players.

However, I haven't (yet, and I know the mod is far from finished) seen any real evidence that this would be so for Xmod.

The presence of a (partially functional) flip kick would theoretically lead to more combo possibilities and options for sabers only ctf (as we've been lectured about numerous times already).

But somebody could just as easily play Xmod with this option turned off could they not? So somebody could download and use xmod simply because they don't like Pull+Throw.

The "goal" of Xmod2 seems to be to restore in the minds of former JK2 "elite players" the style of gameplay they liked in the previous game as opposed to JA. Good luck to them and I hope they are successful in their quest.

Though, conversely, somebody (like Amidala) could theoretically use an Admin mod just for one or two features it offers rather than as a way to enforce "honorable dueling" in a FFA setting.

Yes, =X= mod could be abused.

Hell, I'll shoot totally straight with you on this, I personally don't like the way the official =X= server is run to be 100% honest.

I think there are some people there with admin that are quite immature and childish and are what I would call "kick happy" admins.

And I do think a lot of the admin things that were put in =X= mod should not be there.

But that said, let's be frank, what are the chances of you seeing people put to sleep on an =X= server and then insulted as opposed to that situation happening on an Academy reloaded server?

The whole "rcon is too confusing/limiting" argument is just plain absurd.

Now on to the sleep command.

Why is this needed?

If you were an admin of an "FFA duel server" you'd understand. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a lamer or n00b's attention with simple chat commands. Often people don't even read chat so they have no idea that an admin is speaking to them. Putting a person to sleep gives the admin the time to explain the rules to the person and make sure that there is no confusion. I can assure you that at JK3Files we never stand over a sleeping person and scream how much of a f***ing lamer n00b they are.

And I'm not even allowed to ban people because if the ban file gets too big... guess what? The server crashes!

Archived