Home

Why can't anyone just PLAY?

arto94

(Please excuse any errors in my post, I have 2 broken fingers on my right hand)

I got Jedi Academy for a reason, because I like killing people with my lightsaber/gun. Most of the lower ping servers are either empty, or have people just standing around.

WHY WILL NOBODY FIGHT.

So, apparantly, a game, in which the purpose is to kill others, if you kill somebody with their saber down or their chat box up, it's unethical.

If you people want to chat, go on IRC, that's what it's for.

If you dont want to fight, then simply DON'T PLAY! It's not hard! I can't get a decent game in, because on most of the servers, you get kicked/banned for playing the game! If you use force powers alot, it's considered laming, and some of the time, you get a server kick. Gripping off a cliff is laming, using guns is laming (on a gun server too!)

Somkeone's gotta help me. If you know any servers that are servers for playing the game, PLEASE, tell me! I'm tired of joining a different server every 5 mins!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh we all suffer from this idiocy since JK2. The only advice I can give you is to find a good server and stick with it. Chop Shop, =X=, and basically any server run by a competitive clan or an admin who won't tolerate this honor bullsh1t is good (Kurgan's server). That's what I do for my pubbing.

On my server people play the game, or they don't play. ; )

I'm not heavy handed about it, just no-nonesense... and thus they know what to expect on my server: lots of explosions and slashing and dying, as the developers intended!

Amidala seems to subscribe to this philosophy as well, I'm happy to say. Just look, there are some good servers out there, and when you find them you'll be happy!

If someone doesn't want to fight, and the server lets people chat, duel, role play, etc. then they don't have to fight.

My advice to you:

Find a server for fighting, *Kurgan's Meatgrinder* and Chop Shop are examples of the type of server's you'd probably be interested in.

I thought the point of a F/TPS game in multiplayer was to fight.

If I wanna chat, I'll go play a free MMORPG like Tibia or something. The Jedi games aren't places for group role-play - they just aren't made for that.

I guess a good "action" game that you can group role-play is Multi-Theft-Auto, the multiplay mod for GTA3 and Vice City... buggy, but still fun... and given the relative humor of those environments, goofy role-playing and chatting while in a gunfight outside an Ammunation seems somehow right. :p

But not the Jedi Knight games. It's fighting. If I want a character or story, I'll play SP episodes, and slowly complete my own.

Hey Kurgan - does your server have a name? Just out of curiousity, b/c you only ever show your IP address. Maybe if I ever get to play online, I'll go there, but I'm going to recommend it to friends, and if it has a name it'll be easier.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.

The name varies, but usually it's *Kurgan's Meatgrinder* (for general FFA mayhem and CTF) or *Kurgan's Assault & Battery* (Siege). If it's named something else, chances are I'm running some whacky mods or some such. ; )

I went to the JK3Files Server tonight, just to see what another server was like. It was FFA on the mp/ffa3 map, Tatooine City. Out of about a dozen people, two were having a saber fight outside. The rest were in several groups, saber off and chatting.

Some were pretending they were running the cantina, complaining that "the stupid jawas were late with the food supply". Others were pretending to be patrons in the cantina, and were ordering Bantha soup and AT-ST rum drinks. Everyone was very calm and well-behaved. They seemed to be having fun, I guess that's all that really matters.

As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating".

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

I went to the JK3Files Server tonight, just to see what another server was like. It was FFA on the mp/ffa3 map, Tatooine City. Out of about a dozen people, two were having a saber fight outside. The rest were in several groups, saber off and chatting.

Some were pretending they were running the cantina, complaining that "the stupid jawas were late with the food supply". Others were pretending to be patrons in the cantina, and were ordering Bantha soup and AT-ST rum drinks. Everyone was very calm and well-behaved. They seemed to be having fun, I guess that's all that really matters.

having LARP'd often and played dungeons and dragons quite a bit, i can see how this is fun, but i would only do it with very close friends (as in irl friends -- tho i think you can make very very good friends over the net) and if it wasn't on LAN it would be in a pw'd server and i wouldn't be using my normal name ;)

Originally posted by SpecialForces

If I go on a server and no one is playing, I just screw them and lame everyone until I get kicked!!!

And I do not do it if there are people playing, not even if one person is playing. There are allways ways to have fun :)

Cut SpecialForces some slack guys, his got a CRAP PC, isnt allowed to get JK3 unless he gets straight A's, and wont be gettin a new PC anyway because the money is spent on his sisters horse ! Read his sig and feel the young mans pain !

Remember this special forces...

....that horse will one day be glue, and in 2010 you will own your own souped up gaming PC, and be playing JK6 at 400fps on your 3GB video card..... :D

MTFBWYA

If you ever see a server starting with WadeV1589 or Scotty79 check them out, they are servers who's only rule is "never say lamer/laming/lame"...and believe it or not some people come in and can't accept that one rule! It's like "you can't kill me with saber down, you can't kill me chatting but by God I can scream lamer as much as I want even if it's the only rule you enforce"...

As for the JK3Files server, if Shroom is in there people obey the rules, there was one admin in there last time I was in who enjoyed using the word lamer and hardly fighting which I find disappointing. JK3Files is only good when the admin is there to watch everyone, otherwise it turns into what you said...saying that JK3Files has the "saber down and chatting means no kill" rule...which is usually 70% of the people in the server...I hate that rule, it ruins servers.

What?! I MISSED IT!!!!!! :mad:

;)

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Cut SpecialForces some slack guys, his got a CRAP PC, isnt allowed to get JK3 unless he gets straight A's, and wont be gettin a new PC anyway because the money is spent on his sisters horse ! Read his sig and feel the young mans pain !

Remember this special forces...

....that horse will one day be glue, and in 2010 you will own your own souped up gaming PC, and be playing JK6 at 400fps on your 3ghz video card..... :D

MTFBWYA

YAY!

something to look forward too!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Bones would have said "Jim, let's blow these dorks all to hell".

;)

The rpg guys are cool, I don't bother them.

Most of our beef (and I assume the same as the guy who made this thread) is with "Jedi Chatters".

Chatting in a FPS is no big deal.

Where the problem lies is when those said chatters get touched/killed/looked at the wrong way, and flip out on people (voting them off the server, banning them).

And this is the weird part I don't get...

If you are not playing and just chatting, why do you care what another player does to your "body"?

Chat messages will still get broadcast, you don't have to stand face to face to talk (other than mm3).

their reasons defy all logic of man, space, time, or god. I dont know that for sure, but im betting it does :D I for the most part try to leave chatters alone just so i dont have to listen to them complain, unless they are shooting their mouth off or something, then its open season :) course, i usually get kicked from pubs before too long anyway :p

My clan's server is an FFA all-weapon server with no silly rules about "laming" or anything like that. It's usually empty (which is kind of sad, because the JK2 FFA server was the best one out there and was typically near full capacity for several hours each evening), but sometimes there are some good games going there.

[oE] The Obsidian Empire ^1FFA ^5TX|49ms|66.98.178.12:25000

Archived