Home

Why can't anyone just PLAY?

arto94

Originally posted by Jeff 42

My clan's server is an FFA all-weapon server with no silly rules about "laming" or anything like that. It's usually empty (which is kind of sad, because the JK2 FFA server was the best one out there and was typically near full capacity for several hours each evening), but sometimes there are some good games going there.

[oE] The Obsidian Empire ^1FFA ^5TX|49ms|66.98.178.12:25000

The Obsidian Empire (formerly Cardassia Prime when I played on it in JK2) was one of my favorite servers (along with HuntingWabbits.com) when I first started playing JK2, and was one of the inspirations for my first Chop Shop server. The oE guys are some of the most amazing players I've ever seen, and I feel great when I see Redstar, Eidolon, and Firezombie coming by to play on my servers. If you go to the oE server you will be guaranteed a great game, with no worries about being called a "lamer".

I will show my gratitude to you guys by promoting your server on my servers with my infamous automated server messages. If there are any other server operators running no honor code, no whining, true FFA servers, list them here or private message me and I'll do the same for you. Players who like to really play the game need to know where else they can go if their favorite server is full or down, without having to worry about being called "lamer" or being punished for "killing" someone in a "dishonorable" way.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chop shop owns.

I cant wait to get JA.

It better not be full :)

As soon as I install it im going strait to Chop Shop. :)

Things I love about Chop Shop in jk2:

1. Time limits. ctf doesnt go on forever.

2. NO lag.

3. one time there was an admin problem but thats ok Amidala responded instantly to my complaint.

No abusive admins

4. Great variety of maps and gametypes.

5. I like the name :)

Amidala:

your pm inbox is full so I cant send you any mesages.

yeah i noticed that myself in a FFA the other day... I'm still fairly new to the game --however I do know the difference between duel and free for all-- it's kinda of self explanitory. everyone was standing around watching 2 ppl duel at a time some sabers off some sabers on.... so I did exactly what the game said- I went free for all and sabered everyone mostly the ones with sabers on and still got you f---ing lamer and stupid noob... the way I look at it if you want 1v1 there are tons of servers for that purpose, dont waste space in a game to spectate when you are not meant to- go to a duel server and spectate and wait your turn there... ima kill everyone I see standing around in a free for all game unles they are chat boxed maybe then theyll get the hint to go to the appropriate game( if the players in this game are anything like the ones on battle.net- then this message will probably go in one ear and out the other and continue doing stupid **** regardless of what you try to get them to do.

Yea i play on there a fair amount, when im looking for some fast action. killing two or three guys in a group with one swing is so satisfying :) plus alot of the ppl there are fairly good so its never easy to win, normally half the server at a high tier of kills, and the other half have only a handful ;)

Originally posted by saurumonk

yeah i noticed that myself in a FFA the other day... I'm still fairly new to the game --however I do know the difference between duel and free for all-- it's kinda of self explanitory. everyone was standing around watching 2 ppl duel at a time some sabers off some sabers on.... so I did exactly what the game said- I went free for all and sabered everyone mostly the ones with sabers on and still got you f---ing lamer and stupid noob... the way I look at it if you want 1v1 there are tons of servers for that purpose, dont waste space in a game to spectate when you are not meant to- go to a duel server and spectate and wait your turn there... ima kill everyone I see standing around in a free for all game unles they are chat boxed maybe then theyll get the hint to go to the appropriate game( if the players in this game are anything like the ones on battle.net- then this message will probably go in one ear and out the other and continue doing stupid **** regardless of what you try to get them to do.

And no matter what bull**** people try to feed you or whatever insults they toss your way, you did NOTHING wrong.

What happens to guys like him ^ on public servers is the exact reason why I can't stand admin mods and honor dorks.

They (the honor dorks and admin mods) drive guys like him out of the community. They just can't let this guy enjoy his game like a normal person.

He's butting in and tainting their perfect little structured Jedi Fantasy world and he must be cast out.

And what kind of guy is he?

Just some dude looking to play a game he bought.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

And no matter what bull**** people try to feed you or whatever insults they toss your way, you did NOTHING wrong.

What happens to guys like him ^ on public servers is the exact reason why I can't stand admin mods and honor dorks.

They (the honor dorks and admin mods) drive guys like him out of the community. They just can't let this guy enjoy his game like a normal person.

He's butting in and tainting their perfect little structured Jedi Fantasy world and he must be cast out.

And what kind of guy is he?

Just some dude looking to play a game he bought.

Yeah, really. People should be allowed to connect to servers and play the game as it was intended.

What this guy described is what I went through when I first started JK2. I mean I really don't see the thrill of standing somewhere in the map with your saber off and chatting to people. Can someone who likes doing this actually explain this to me?

I was not aware that there was some ultimate law of the land that said ALL people and servers MUST encourage players to play EXACTLY HOW THE GAME TELLS YOU TO.

Is there some reason why a server cannot tweak their gameplay to allow players to do something other than what the game was intended for? IMO, just constant killing and killing gets boring after a while. Humans are social creatures.

And the reason we dont just host a duel server is because it's better to be able to do a little of everything. A little FFA, a little dueling, a little chatting, a little role playing, is that so much to ask?

The server is paying for the service, they should be able to set what rules they want. And people should respect these rules, because no one is forcing you to stay there. If your idea of having a "fun time" in a video game is going around disrespecting people and making people's gaming experience misreable then you need to consider rethinking your life. :)

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

I was not aware that there was some ultimate law of the land that said ALL people and servers MUST encourage players to play EXACTLY HOW THE GAME TELLS YOU TO.

No there isn't but there are more servers with the honor laws than normal gameplay servers. I find it weird.

Is there some reason why a server cannot tweak their gameplay to allow players to do something other than what the game was intended for? IMO, just constant killing and killing gets boring after a while. Humans are social creatures.

The IRC argument stands true with this statement. It's a game, people.

And the reason we dont just host a duel server is because it's better to be able to do a little of everything. A little FFA, a little dueling, a little chatting, a little role playing, is that so much to ask?

It gets confusing when you connect to a server labeled FFA and you get cursed at for killing people and then the next second you get /amsleeped and an admin is standing over you telling you that you're a mother****ing lamer and that u have no honor. At least get someone to do a mod for you guys so your servers are clearly labeled "RPG Honor Server" or something. By cursing at newcomers for killing someone, you're driving them away from a perfectly fun game. It's not really obvious to newcomers that you guys are honor people and don't like it when others kill you because this defies yoda's code of jedi honor.

The server is paying for the service, they should be able to set what rules they want. And people should respect these rules, because no one is forcing you to stay there. If your idea of having a "fun time" in a video game is going around disrespecting people and making people's gaming experience misreable then you need to consider rethinking your life. :)

I'd hardly consider killing people in a video game where you're supposed to kill people making someones gaming experience miserable. If this really does make your "e-wellbeing" and "e-life" so miserable, bring it to court or something. Yeah, admins can make their own rules but being total assholes to newcomers is pretty lame.

Originally posted by g//plaZma

No there isn't but there are more servers with the honor laws than normal gameplay servers. I find it weird.

Yes, that does seem to be werid, but it just shows that most players are, as you guys put it, "honor nerds".

The IRC argument stands true with this statement. It's a game, people.

Some people find chatting in a 3D video game more interesting than chatting on a square box on your internet browser.

telling you that you're a mother****ing lamer

Good "honor" servers don't do that sort of thing. Just because one bee stings doesn't mean that the whole hive is responsible. (is that how that saying goes? *shrugs*)

I'd hardly consider killing people in a video game where you're supposed to kill people making someones gaming experience miserable. If this really does make your "e-wellbeing" and "e-life" so miserable, bring it to court or something.

First of all, if you don't want to fight, and the server has rules protecting those who do not want to fight, you are expecting not to be attacked. So if you are then attacked, your experience with the game becomes less pleasant.

Yeah, admins can make their own rules but being total assholes to newcomers is pretty lame.

Good "honor" servers don't do that sort of thing. Just because one bee stings doesn't mean that the whole hive is responsible. (is that how that saying goes? *shrugs*)

The simple fact is though, there are few respectable honour servers. Most of them will end up resulting in a person who listens to the FFA part of the server name being cursed at, kicked or banned. There is no doubt a handful of good servers out there that say "you killed me, please don't do it again, this is an honour server where no killing is requested at certain times" or words to that effect, most servers get the very first thing said to a person to be "**** of n00b, you lamer" - and we all have seen that.

The point is, unless the title of the server (the only bit that many people ever see) is clearly stated to be "honour" then anyone who comes in killing should not be treated the way they are. Admins have a right to set up their own rules...they have a demand on them as a human to respect others...it may be just a game, but the language and insults used on people is certainly not a game. It is a real person saying a very real thing and puts newcomers off and can even lead to people becoming angry or upset.

Why must people speak how they do, if someone breaks a server rule, tell them politely, if they continue to dis-obay, get an admin to warn them, there is no need for kicking, banning or cursing unless the newcomer tells you to screw yourself. Then kick him for foul language on a clean server. Don't kick him because he's playing FFA on a FFA labelled server.

when people complain to me about being lamed, i just encourage them to go find whomever 'lamed' them and just kick their butt :) and if they cant, well i guess they should pratice more... of course on the few no (honorz) rules servers there are whenever someone complains about being lamed, the whole server usually gets on their case :p

thats what clans/fansites are for.

if you want to do roleplaying go buy nwn and get/make a SW mod for it. hell if you REALLY want to roleplay do the old pen/paper or LARP style. ****load more fun than sitting around in a game talking to someone.

Originally posted by WadeV1589

The simple fact is though, there are few respectable honour servers. Most of them will end up resulting in a person who listens to the FFA part of the server name being cursed at, kicked or banned. ... most servers get the very first thing said to a person to be "**** of n00b, you lamer" - and we all have seen that.

True... see, these are the servers that give the honor code style servers a bad name. Sad, IMO.

The point is, unless the title of the server (the only bit that many people ever see) is clearly stated to be "honour" then anyone who comes in killing should not be treated the way they are.

Well when servers start to get admin mods up, a joining player will be able to see the rules stated on the MOTD. So if a server has the rules stated in the MOTD, a joining player is expected to read this, and obey it.

there is no need for kicking, banning or cursing unless the newcomer tells you to screw yourself. Then kick him for foul language on a clean server. Don't kick him because he's playing FFA on a FFA labelled server.

Well, if someone continues to break server rules, such as attacking players with their saber off, you can't just let them go about breaking the rule. Although cursing at a rule breaker is unacceptable.

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

when people complain to me about being lamed, i just encourage them to go find whomever 'lamed' them and just kick their butt :) and if they cant, well i guess they should pratice more... of course on the few no (honorz) rules servers there are whenever someone complains about being lamed, the whole server usually gets on their case :p

The reason someone wouldn't just go back and kill whoever lamed them is because THEY DON'T WANT TO FIGHT! They shouldn't have to drop everyone they were doing (or not doing) to deal with someone who could easily be dealt with by an admin.

At the JK3Files server, people are encouraged NOT to retaliate, because that often envolves laming on the retaliator's part, and the lamer has no idea that he is doing something not permitted by the server.

Well when servers start to get admin mods up, a joining player will be able to see the rules stated on the MOTD. So if a server has the rules stated in the MOTD, a joining player is expected to read this, and obey it.

I miss Jk2files server already :( , cant wait for JAR to have that, ...<_< >_> i hope it does :rolleyes:

True... see, these are the servers that give the honor code style servers a bad name. Sad, IMO.

Indeed. But the majority of honor servers are like this.

Sure but not so long ago I was an admin for a clan server (g// when it was still around) and well, we had rules stated against running around calling people "lamers" and sitting around chatting. Yet, I still saw people running around calling eachother "lamers" and using the server as a virtual chatroom. That's honor people for you.

Well, if someone continues to break server rules, such as attacking players with their saber off, you can't just let them go about breaking the rule. Although cursing at a rule breaker is unacceptable.

This is why god invented the kick command and the usage of verbal warnings. Trust me when someone is breaking your honor code the last thing they want you to do to them is /ampunish, /amsleep or /amslap. That just gets them angry.

The reason someone wouldn't just go back and kill whoever lamed them is because THEY DON'T WANT TO FIGHT! They shouldn't have to drop everyone they were doing (or not doing) to deal with someone who could easily be dealt with by an admin.

Eh, sorry but in my experience with JK2/JA, people who get "lamed" tend to stalk the guy who "lamed" them while spamming their "OMG LAMER!!!!!!111111" bind everywhere. Anyways, I really do not see the point of connecting to a server if you don't want to play or "fight" as you describe it.

At the JK3Files server, people are encouraged NOT to retaliate, because that often envolves laming on the retaliator's part, and the lamer has no idea that he is doing something not permitted by the server.

In truth, the JK3/JK2Files.com server was one of the last servers I'd have expected to be so biased with this honor stuff until I connected to their server. It's like a poor man's The Sims Online redone StarWars style.

Indeed. But the majority of honor servers are like this.

And it spreads like communism.

we had rules stated against running around calling people "lamers" and sitting around chatting. Yet, I still saw people running around calling eachother "lamers" and using the server as a virtual chatroom. That's honor people for you.

You had every right to kick them... they did not listen to server rules. Unless you wanted to keep 'em around for easy kills. ;)

This is why god invented the kick command and the usage of verbal warnings. Trust me when someone is breaking your honor code the last thing they want you to do to them is /ampunish, /amsleep or /amslap. That just gets them angry.

I am an anti-abuse person. I believe that NO admin should EVER cause damage to a player using powers that regular players could not get. Although, sleep is very needed. People just DO NOT listen to chat commands. Sleep is the only way to get someone's full attention. Plus, if you see a problem, you want to stop the problem before it gets any worse. Trust me on this - if you were an admin at an honor style server, you'd understand.

Eh, sorry but in my experience with JK2/JA, people who get "lamed" tend to stalk the guy who "lamed" them while spamming their "OMG LAMER!!!!!!111111" bind everywhere. Anyways, I really do not see the point of connecting to a server if you don't want to play or "fight" as you describe it.

Well those who try to get even are, IMO, just as bad. Like what the Clan [LC] server rules say: If someone has broken a rule please inform an admin right away. You are welcome to try and straighten out the problem, however disrespecting any rule in doing so is prohibited. (Example: If you are attacked with your saber down, telling the lamer what they did wrong is good sportsmanship. Going back and laming that person will be viewed as equally wrong and you will be dealt with as such.)

In truth, the JK3/JK2Files.com server was one of the last servers I'd have expected to be so biased with this honor stuff until I connected to their server. It's like a poor man's The Sims Online redone StarWars style.

Biased? I'm not sure I fully understand... :confused:

BTW, I think I'll post some screenshots soon of what goes on in the JK3Files server. Maybe it'll change your mind about us.

Ahh, the eternal jedi knight dilema.

So, people play JA to have fun.

There are mostly two ways of doing it, following server honor codes and not following them.

The problem here, between lamers and rpgers, is that both of them have very strong points to explain their acts. Both of them are absolutely sure, they are right and the others are wrong.

They are both right.

I mean, you can do whatever the **** u want, but you have to accept the consecuences of your acts. Its ok to lame but you will probably get kicked or baned.

What is wrong for sure is to force people to be the way u want them to be. Complaining is ok cause its a way of expresing your disaproval, but rules are rules, and **** are ****.

With time you balance your gameplay, and you learn when to lame and when to chat.

[Edit: Don't bother trying to dodge the profanity filter, k'thanks. ]

I guess it all just comes down to how much of an anal retentive person you are, and how deep you are trying to immerse yourself in a fantasy world.

I play these games much in the same fashion that I would watch a television show or read a book.

It's just a form of entertainment for me, and the last thing I want to do is play a video game where I have to listen to a 12 year old playing the role of a "virtual hall monitor" while bitching and moaning about his stupid little fruity made up virtual world rules.

I'm going to toss a monkey wrench in this conversation and argue the other side. Many of the servers you guys connect to are run by people. Yes they are made available to the gaming public, but as they are privately run the people that run it and by extension the regular crowd therein can do whatever the hell they deem to be normal in their servers. If you guys go in there and ruin everybody's fun, as foreign that concept may be to you, what do you expect? That they would make sweet passionate love to you? It's all well and good for you people to claim that they are whining about existing elements of the game, but the flipside of that is that you could stop whining about bad servers and try running your own for a while. It's really just a question of perspective.

I also really fail to see the problem with having honor in any form. I don't stab people in the back because that is the coward's way out. That's not some irrational "jedi" thing. As far as I am concerned anyway, all jedi except Sammy L. need to get their badass meters adjusted as it is. It's simply an ethical thing. You guys play as you want and let others play as they want.

In a sense I agree with the chatting thing and the options thing. It's like people who complain about getting killed while they are typing. The obvious solution is to stop typing in the line of fire. In the same sense though, if that is the algorythm of the server your on and you don't want to play nice, find another server where people don't play nice.

well thing is you people assume that we just saw people doing honor **** and decided to start invading servers. this is _not_ the case.

honor **** invaded every server bitching and complaining the entire time till they got every washed up nub to either 1. play their way or 2. pissed off everyone else.

after that we started going to honor servers and ones taht were run by the 12-year old admins on powertrips (99%) of them, we tore them up. simple as that.

Originally posted by Rumor

after that we started going to honor servers and ones taht were run by the 12-year old admins on powertrips (99%) of them, we tore them up. simple as that.

I see, so then you come here and complain about them complaining and kicking you out. That sounds a bit like pissing on something and then wondering why it smells like piss. Again, the obvious answer, find a server where there are no "honor ****," where there are specific rules against it, and play there.

Is ok if straight guys are honorable though? What about women?

I'm sorry, but the irony of your post made me laugh Rumor. You go on about how twelve-year olds are annoying by turning around and pasting a gradeschool insult on that same group. Is "fag" one of the three insults you use? Next to "jew" and "gay?" Am I a "jewbag" now for disagreeing with you? My my I can't count today, that's four insults.

All I'm saying is that it's a wide internet with a lot of odd people out there, and they have as much a right to do what they do as you do to do your own thing. So suck it up and move on.

Originally posted by Rumor

vegeta what happened to that challenge. i saw you in the [siN] server and i gave you several mm1's and mm3's and you never responded. running scared?

What? SIN server? when was that?

My current online names are O2 and VegetA, both in light blue and white, and reborn blue skin, are u sure it was me?

If it was me, i am sorry and ill be pleased to duel you anytime. PM me to set a day/hour/server.

Archived