Home

Computer problems

MandalorianRage

For some reason windows is messing up for me, so I can't get into my computer right now. I'm on another comp right now, and I'm running a thorough scandisk on my comp that's at home. Hopefully it will be fine tonight, and if it isn't, my friend is going to let me use his windows disk, to reboot windows. So, if anyone needs me for anything, post in this, rather than e-mailing me.

Okay, when I turn the computer on, it loads, gets to the Windows 98 loading thing, and then, the screen goes black, and says "There was a protection error with Windows" or something like that, and tells me to restart the computer. I restart the computer, it goes to the Windows loading thing, then goes to a black screen, with the choices of normal mode, safe mode, etc. If I choose normal, it takes me to the protection error thing again. I can use safe mode. I've used scan disk and disk defragmenter in safe mode, but it still screws up. I've tried QuickRestore, but I have faulty disks, and tonight I'm going to try to reload windows itself. If that doesn't work, I'll just buy Windows XP.

The link I found isn't working, so I'll just paste it all here...

Definition of Windows Protection Error Messages

Windows Protection error message occur when your computer attempts to load or unload a virtual device driver (VxD). This error message is a way to let you know that there is a problem with the device driver. In many cases, the VxD that did not load or unload is mentioned in the error message. In other cases, you may not be able to determine the VxD that caused the behavior; however, you should be able to find the cause of the error message if you use clean boot troubleshooting.

Windows Protection error messages can occur in any of the following situations:

* If a real-mode driver and a protected-mode driver are in conflict

* If the registry is damaged

* If either the Win.com file or the Command.com file are infected with a virus, or if either of the files are damaged

* If a protected-mode driver is loaded from the System.ini file and the driver is already initialized

* If there is a physical input/output (I/O) address conflict or a random access memory (RAM) address conflict

* If there are incorrect complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings for a built-in peripheral device (such as cache settings, CPU timing, hard disks, and so on)

* If the Plug and Play feature of the basic input/output system (BIOS) on the computer is not working correctly

* If the computer contains a malfunctioning cache or malfunctioning memory

* If the motherboard on the computer is not working properly

* If you installed Microsoft Office 97 and you are using the Novell Client 32 software

For additional information about Windows Protection error messages, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Q149962 How to Troubleshoot Windows Protection Error Messages

Basically a bunch of bad stuff. Personally I'd backup my stuff one way or another and reformat.

Make sure you follow that link too. It looks like it has some good info and maybe an easier way to fix the problem.

gah. well grask was helpfull :)

uhm x'ero. since you cant get in game.

uhm might we use your cantina for a huge party next week friday?

about 50 people will show up is my guess :)

if i send the invites early enough.

you may have to rearange the furniture a little tho... but ill leave that up to you.

well on top of all that stuff grask researched... its just windows 98. This stuff happens because with windows Me and earlier (includes 98) There is no HAL. (Hardware Abstraction Layer) Which, though its a pain for a hardware interface devolper, its really beneficial for a standard user because it doesnt let the operating system or the user directly interface with the hardware. That makes these sort of conflicts go away for the most part.

So yes, best solution would be to Buy or get your hands on a copy of 2000 or XP.

Suggestion: If thats not possible format and reinstall windows. Unless you recently added a device or changed a driver for something right before this started happening. In which case remove it.

Otherwise thats a long list of possibilities and alot of it you wont be able to test or fix easily... and 95/98 has always just been... "quirky".

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I bought myself Windows XP update, but I can't use it without a Windows 98 disk. Tonight I'm supposed to get a Windows 98 disk from my friend, but I just heard that he went on vacation... Sooooo... I might have to wait a bit longer before I get back in game. Froobuk, Richton if you don't mind, please keep the maintenance up on the cantina. And when I get back, could anyone loan me 50k. I'll need that for maintenancee on my house until I can get money up. Thanks for helping...

Archived