Home

I already posted this but...

sroerick

Actually, I was thinking of the Kill the Fool With the Ysalamari game mode from Mysteries of the Sith. It was essentially like jedi master, but instead of picking up a lightsaber and becoming superhuman, you picked up a ysalamari, and became invulnerable to force powers. Much harder to stay the fool than it is to stay the jedi master.

I guess that scoring is the same as JM? That would be the only difference from Capture the Ysalamiri.

Sorry about my not knowing, I have MotS, but never played online with it (just got it a year ago). Been too busy with Outcast/Academy... :D

RazorAce probably know if it can be done easily. He had been making the old gametypes playable in Academy, so I imagine he would be able to tell you if it would be possible without too much effort.

KFY the MotS gametype was essentialy the OPPOSITE of Jedi Master.

Jedi Master you tried to get kills as the super poweful Jedi.

KFY you try to run away and hide, staying alive as long as possible while everybody tries to kill you (you can fight back, but you'll be quickly overwhelmed since you lack speed, jump, healing, etc).

Everybody starts out with their usual Jedi Level force and sabers and all weapons that you can normally use in a FFA.

However, once you pick up the Ysalamari you lose access to all Force powers. However as long as you hold onto it you steadily gain points (you also IIRC gain a bunch of points the first time you pick it up).

There are other significant differences between that in the Ysalamari behavior in JK2.

The Ysalamari was on a "branch" in a predetermined location of any FFA map. When the map was loaded, for the first 30 seconds NOBODY could grab the Ysalamari (to prevent the first player from just grabbing it and hiding while he racked up points). After that anybody could until the map ended.

The Ysalamari gives off a constant "chirping" sounds (like a chirp every second) so you can "find" it in a map.

It also gives off a red "bubble glow" when a person is holding it (sort of like the gold bubble glow in JK2 when you have it).

Also the Chirping sound was continuous. So if somebody tried to hide with the Ysalamari, you could follow the chirping sound to find them. Kill them and they drop it and it can be immediately picked up.

Not only does it negate force powers of the person holding it and prevent powers being used on them, it also negates powers of people CLOSE TO HIM (within maybe 4 feet of him).

When a person gets close so his own powers are negated, a Ysalamari icon appears on his screen until he gets out of range.

There was one bug wherein a person could stand far enough away and use a ranged attack (like Force Destruction) and still hurt the person, but I think this was unintentional.

If the Ysalamari was dropped and nobody picked it up for like 30 seconds (or if the person who had it dropped down a bottomless pit or something) it would respawn back on the branch and be up for grabs again.

KFY (Kill the Fool with the Ysalamari) had two "Modes."

Team Mode ("Friendly Mode") was such that you could NOT harm each other. It was like you were all on the same team (but you retained your normal skins). Only the Ysalamari guy could be harmed by regular guys and vice versa.

The goal was to kill him and take the Ysalamari then survive as long as you could while building up points. Set the score limit to 300 or so and see who reaches it first.

Normal Mode ("Unfriendly Mode") was more like a regular FFA, because anybody could kill anybody, but you only got 1 point for killing somebody just like normal. Holding the Ysalamari gave you far more points, obviously. But you could kill people to prevent them getting the slug (as we called it) before you did.

To compare to JK2/JA.. their Ysalamari looks different (more like a furry lizard.. the MotS one looks more like a cross between a baby seal and a bug). The JK2 slug doesn't chirp, gives off a golden glow (or a blue/red glow in CTY) and only negates the powers of the person holding it and prevents force being used on them.

However the CTY/Ysalamari in JK2 stops you from doing rolls and the wall walk/run, but doesn't stop you from doing katas or force sapping special moves (lunge, dfa, etc).

The JK2 Ysalamari (not the CTY one) also "wears off" after a time (it does from mishandling?), but like any powerup, if you kill the guy before it wears off, you can grab it and use the "time left" on it.

I think the MotS slug was much cooler, but its behavior was much more complex and would require more work.

Still.. would be awfully cool and nostalgic!

Let me reiterate... KFY != CTY.

CTY is just CTF with JK2 style Ysalamari's as flags (that don't wear off until you capture).

KFY is the opposite of Jedi Master with some different slug behavior.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that since this was MotS, you didn't have to play with only Jedi. You could also use "personalities" (the classes of MotS).

So you had a Scout, Bounty Hunter and Soldier with different levels of pre-set (low level) force powers, pre-set weapons (guns) and pre-set speeds and damage ratios for stuff. They could pick up lightsabers, but they could have them pulled away by Jedi. The Jedi were not the highest level Jedi, but the second highest (to make it more balanced).

Archived