Home

Beneath Monkey Island, part 2

MJ

Please post feedback here for Beneath Monkey Island, Part 2. Hope everyone likes the different style of music I chose to take for this part. I'm a bit worried about it's reception.

If it doesn't get good response, I'll replace it with more appropriate monkey island material. So please, be honest.

So does everyone like the series so far? Any direction people would like to see it heading, or predictions?

Just general chatter. Commence! :D

It was quite good, some of the voice acting was hit or miss but as as the actors are spread out around the world recording with what ever they've got It's understandable.

Quite funny in parts though it dragged a bit in the middle. The beginning was a riot. Glad you brought the Line Drawing bit back (sorta).

*applause*

Hahaha. I love the epsiode. Was laughing out loud. SCUMM Bar was hialrious as well.

Swashbucklin'... hehe.

Very good music in both episodes.

I dunno if it's cause your in different hemispheres or what, but is it possible to tighten up the space between some of DeCazzador's lines and the ones immediately following them? I realize in a few places a pause is very appropriate (Specifically his tangent near the end), but it seemed a bit long in a few places. Also, a couple of his lines were drowned out near the end. What was he whispering?

This story is great! I would like to here more!

The voices are great as well.

The first part has better quality than

the second and sounds more professional.

The music should be a bit more monkey style,

but it is still ok.

I am currently writing a fan adventure

based on Monkey Island. If someone has a

good story, this is what is still a bit missing

in this project.

So if you want to exchange ideas about a story line,

feel free to email me.

Keep up great work!

Okay. Let me take this one at a time...

Sanspoof: Indeed there is. Part 1 went online not long before the blackout of 2003. :)

Adventurer: I agree, the middle dragged somewhat, mostly because of Carl's recruiting speech. I just have bad self control, and found the entire concept of the 'keep your eyes on me' and swashbuckling and merchandising really funny. Most of that wasn't scripted.

Holdy: Can be tightened. Will have a look at it when I get home tomorrow night. Glad someone was laughing about it. :)

The drowned out lines by DeCazador was in reference to drinking your urine once the water runs out. He comments that it isn't as bad as you would think, he's been swigging his own for weeks.

Al: I'd love for you to give DeCazador's go another wack, if you're willing. They can be dropped easily into the places of the other part (I saved the template) and re-uploaded. But yeah, unfortunately the quality difference was noticable.

Thilo: Welcome to the forums, little brother! Unfortunately I can't offer any ideas, I'm keeping mine in reserve for Beneath Monkey Island, a potential spinoff, and a potential sequal.

Al: Yeah, the games are probably worth playing. :)

I'm glad that the music is, apparently, well recieved. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the song's called and who's singing it? It doesn't count if I've already told you across messenger! :)

After listening carefully I have following

tipps for enhancements:

- more background sound effects to realize at which location you are

Especially at the Scumm Bar. I mean,

it is a pirates bar with drinking, mumbling,

shouting and swashbuckling, not a public library.

There need to be some noise in the background like breaking glasses, mumbling pirates, pirates hitting the table etc. The music should be more pirate style like accordeon and stuff.

Especially when the swordmaster asks for attention,

there should be some "human" noises of pirates

Great effect would be, if the music does not fade out

but the musicians stop to play, maybe with some

wrong and disharmonic notes.

Outside it should be a bit windy, or e.g. at the beginning

when the swordmaster get the mission could be a market or

bazar background with people noises.

- some dialogues are a bit to long, should be a bit

tightened

- apply a bit more dynamic compression to the voices, it will make them more understandable and less overdriving when it comes to loud passages.

BTW, from where are you guys ? The accent of the swordmaster sounds a bit

like "Fenster" from "Usual suspiciuos" to me, very cool!

I'll start by getting this off my chest: IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 'YOHA', NOT 'YO HO'!!!

I feel better now.

I think The Adventurer is right that the middle section seems to slow things down, but I don't think it's all that bad. I think mainly the problem is in the swashbuckling part. Usually Carl fires off words like a Tommy gun, but he slows down and falters there for a bit. But if some of the swashbuckling part were cut (say from the end of 'anybody who wants to be a swashbuckler' to before 'we're gonna be out there on the decks') the rest of the recruiting speech could stand as it is and probably wouldn't seem too long.

Thilo: 8 is pretty much on his own assembling each episode. The background noises are bound to be a bit spartan. Though I was hoping there'd be the sound of Guybrush tripping as he got off the barstool since it would have given something obvious to provoke Carl's 'Yeah, you're finely honed'.

One thing no one seems to have brought up yet is the strange duplication of lines: both Carl and Guybrush say that Guybrush is done recruiting. Only one needs to and I think it should be Carl.

The only other 'bad' thing is that the background sound at the end drowns out some of the dialog. Surf noises really shouldn't be all that audible in a harbor, anyway.

As for the music, it's totally out of place and inappropriate for anything involving pirates. So I think it works perfectly. ;) In fact, it's given me an idea for a 'sea shanty' for DeCazzador...but first I'll need to find the lyrics to 'In the Navy'.

Just in case you don't know how to use the internet... :p

IN THE NAVY

Where can you find pleasure, search the world for treasure,

learn science, technology?

Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true

on the land or on the sea?

Where can you learn to fly, play in sports or skindive,

study oceanography?

when your team and others meet.

In the Navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas.

In the Navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.

In the Navy, come on now people, make a stand.

In the Navy, can't you see we need a hand.

In the Navy, come on, protect the motherland.

In the Navy, come on and join your fellow, man.

In the Navy, come on, people, and make a stand.

In the Navy, in the Navy.

They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!

If you like adventure don't you wait to enter

the recruiting office fast.

Don't you hesitate, there is no need to wait;

they're signing up new seamen fast.

Maybe you are too young to join up today

but don't you worry 'bout the thing

for I'm sure there will be always the good Navy

protecting the land and sea.

In the Navy...

..But..but..but I'm afraid of water!

..hey..hey..look, men...

I get seasick even watching it on the TV!

They want You! - Oh my goodness!

They want you! - What am I gonna do in a submarine?

They want you! They want you!

In the Navy.

In the Navy... (fade out)

• 2 months later...

Archived