Home

NWN : HotU Review

DarthMuffin

Well, I bought the 2nd x-pack a week ago, and I think it's a good time to post my thoughts and opinions.

First off, this one is a real x-pack. SoU was just something they released to keep us interested in the game while they were working on HotU. So if you lost faith in Bio after buying SoU, go get HotU and KotOR to see what they can do :)

The game adds 6 new prestige classes : Shifter (for druids shapeshifters), Champion of Torm (pally/fighter all in one), Pale Master (a necromancer), Dragon Disciple (for sorcs and bards, this one gives you crazy stats, and the wings you get look pretty cool O_o), Dwarven Defender (makes your dwarf a meat shield) and Weapon Master (your old Kansai type from BG2). These are all pretty nice classes, and you can create some interesting mixes. Those of you who addictively played BG2 with the fighter/mage multiclass, you can now add Dragon Disciple levels for a large boost. Overall, I think those are really superior to the ones introduced in SoU.

EPIC LEVELS : you're no longer stuck at level 20. You can go to lvl 40. Do I need to say more? Yes : starting at level 21, your char becomes "epic", and you can choose epic feats. I won't list them here (too many), so check Bio's page for more info.

Five new tilesets : 4 from the underdark, and one "frozen landscape" type. If you like the Underdark, you'll have a good time.

The OC is pretty decent, far better than NWN's. You get to mess in the Underdark for quite a long time, and there are two new henchmen, plus one from SoU (yes, it's Deekin) and 4 from NWN. Also, you need to be level 12-15 to play (the game will give you levels if you don't meet the requirements), and the campaign will take you to the late 20s.

I haven't checked the editor a lot (it's just too complicated for me :) ), but it looks like there are some improvments.

Graphics are improved, but my crappy cpu only runs on lower settings, so I can't really comment on that.

Spellcasting classes can get 5 epic spells, which are pretty nice, but can only be used once a day... Ah well...

If I think of something else, I'll add it later. Overall, it's a really nice x-pack, and it's worth your $$$. I'd give it an 8.5/10

Ouch... it's gonna be a RPG winter for me... Can't get enough of KotOR and HotU :D

I have HOTU. It's great, kids! Y'all should get it (Provided you already have NWN)

I have a Paladin/Champion of Torm going and I'm in the middle of Chapter 3, it's fun but....

How in the 8th of 9 hells do I get the mimic to give me back my stuff?

It's worth the 30 bucks you'll have to fork over

It *is* better than SoU, right?

While SoU is a pretty good improvement on the environment of NWN, I found the story to be far less motivating than I like in a story.

It felt like NWN, only in a different place. I nearly immediately got bored with it, and cracked open them cheats to give me some of that fun factor. The last few levels with mad cheats is pretty fun, though.

Another thing I didn't like about SoU is the whole boss-of-a-boss-of-a-boss thing again.. In NWN I could handle it, but come on people, enough's enough..

On the flip side, Deekin was friggin' awesome. :D

So naturally my reaction to

plus one from SoU (yes, it's Deekin)

is "**** yeah, ladies!"

SoU isn't quite what I'd call my favorite RPG. NWN is my second-favorite RPG. SoU falls to about #5 on that list.

I'll still play SoU with my buddies online when they get it, but I really hope HotU is more of an improvement.

The story is zounds ahead of SoU... Chapter 1 is kinda slow, but it really picks up in Chapter 2, then a very very big twist leads you into Chapter 3, where I am now.

I can confidently say that Chapter 2 of HOTU is the best chapter of any NWN game.

@ Eets : I know how you feel... When I played SoU for the first time, I was really disappointed. The fact that the lvl cap was still 20 just pissed the hell out of me.

HotU looks like a real x-pack; maybe not a complete new game, but all the new stuff (and the crafting skills, for example) really adds new content to mess with.

I'm still in chapter 2, but so far the story is great (and you can have two henchpeeps at the same time, which makes the game more party-ish (a la BG2)) and I wouldn't mind going through it (well, chap1 so far) a second or third time, which wasn't the case with SoU.

@ Clef : Sry, still in chap2; can't help you :)

---------However---------

If I had to choose between KotOR and HotU, I'd get KotOR ;)

Finished it yesterday! Very awesomeriffic, and some comments about the game in spoiler tag

Deeken+Red Dragon Disciple= Awesomeness!

The puzzles in Chapter 1 are really easy, I'm suprised some people on the NWN boards at the bioware site need help with them

Having three henchmen at the end of chapter one was cool

The music in the Underdark is quite catchy

Cool having Aribeth in your party (either good or evil) in Chapter 3

Originally posted by Clefo

Finished it yesterday! Very awesomeriffic, and some comments about the game in spoiler tag

That's great :)

I'm at the end of chapter 2, pretty good as of now.

Btw, do you play MP on a PW or something?

I never played NWN online, and I just don't understand how those servers/PWs work (I posted something at Bio's forums, but I don't get much help :( )

I just finished HotU not more than 5 minutes ago.

I've gotta say, every time I thought it couldn't get any better, it just kept coming back and kicking me in the balls. :D

HotU is no expansion pack, it's a gift from god. ^_^

The only complaints I have are the lack of Metal/Leather dyes in chapter 2, and the Turn Undead skill wasn't as helpful as I had hoped it would be against hordes from the underdark...

****ING MEPHOSTOPOLES! He turned Aribeth to his side! Dirty bastard. She was hot :(

Originally posted by Clefo

If you don't have a high persuade skill, then try to buy Aribeth's true name, if you have enough gold

My persuade was through the roof! I was a bloody Champion of Torm, for pete's sake! :D I didn't want to buy her name though, because when I asked about it she got rather upset..

Originally posted by Eets

Well, I used the love angle whilst persuading her, and when I asked the Knower of Names what my true love's name is, she told me that I was destined to live my life alone. :\

Just finished the game also....

I bought Aribeth's name (just in case), but my pally/champion of Torm with about 18~20 charisma and about 23 in persuade got her back at my side. Guess you weren't lucky.

I found meph to be pretty easy... Everybody at Bio's board were saying he was like impossible to kill, but I only used about 3 heal pots... not bad.... Maybe it was because of my ultra-uber Enseric Long Sword, with a +10 enchantment, haste, true seeing, keen and vamp regeneration? :D ---> that's just horrible, sooo overpowered :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'm also destined to live without a true love... I dunno if it's possible to actually have one.... the epilogue said, however, that I lived with Aribeth till my death... strange...

Well I just finished the first chapter of SoU in MP with Sherack.

I gotta say, it was alot more fun than when I SP'ed it. Of course, we were also purely role-playing as we went. :D

He's a half-demon, and I'm a celestial elf, so it kinda made things interesting. :D

Archived