Home

JA+ Mod 1.4 (admin mod)

slider

(this ie been used from tons of people,but i probly used that one before any1 =P)

I am a newbie,And i just bought JKA

I install it,Patch it,Setup my control and such

and ready to go,First try,KIKO FFA SERVER

Rule:No laming please

I get in the server,and start attacking people,....WTF IM STUCK UNDER A BRIDGE AND IM CONSTANLY LOOSING HEALTH

...hmm must be a glitch,there i go i kill 2 guys this time BOOM *you got kicked by console* wtf....

Ok il try another one, Pimp Evrything Clan FFA server

^repeat what happen on previous server,

I tried 10 server in total,and now i want my money back

This might sound stupid but it probly how it happen and why it dies,sorry but the saber down rule destroyed 2 great game.Why am i saying it death?

cuz i cant play FFA without gettin kicked,and im death tired of playing CTF in fact i might start playing Duel ..i was going for FFA but i cant

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^^^^^

îm a newbie,i have some gaming experience,so i assume laming mean ''no camping'' or such

i seriously didnt expect people meant by no laming=Saber down dont attack,and i tried over 10 FFA server,how can i even play that game beside SP,i wanna try MP

Originally posted by Admiral Chemix

Sometimes people want to fight and chat and keep their points. By killing someone with chatbox up or saber down you are taking away their fun from the game to gain your own. You are being selfish and rude. Do these things mean anything to you.

:confused: Points don't get subtracted for kills, only for suicide and killing your own teammates. Besides, if they have 50 health and 10 shields, then both people get the benefit! One gets back up to 100 health and 25 shields.

You are taking the fun out of the game someone spent their money to get. It's no fun to get killed again and again by people when you have no defense.

Then they should defend themselves! It's not hard.

People have a right to chat, to talk, and to explore the server, they need not always fight. You must take a look from the other perspective. The honor code was erected so that all could enjoy the game, without it chaos erupts and the game dies quickly.

So then Quake 3, Unreal, Battlefield 1942, Counter Strike and many other games would have died quickly if that was true, but I don't see that happening.

Somepeople wish to enjoy the game for more than a month. Not everybody has the money to go buy a new game every week.

I do. The game is deep and complex, including stealthy sabering: hide in a corner with saber off, no one sees you. Do a blue style uppercut when a victim nears.

Not to mention the moral issue. You see it as merely a game. What are games for if not to have fun.

Shooting people, hiding in a corner to ambush people, and slashing away indiscrimanately is fun.

You are taking away their fun for your own enjoyment. It's basicly like cheating. They have no defense so you slaughter them.

Cheating? They can press the attack button and defend themselves.

There is no challenge.

They can defend themselves and make it a challenge.

There is a community at stake here and you risk it all for a few seconds of enjoyment.

So hack away at your opponents!

Toggleable anti lamer protection

30 seconds after chatbox is put up or saber is put down the player enters invincibility mode, as soon as his/her saber or chatbox is down the inviciblity mode is disabled and they are in danger of attack, the 30 second timer prevents those who would use this while in a duel to prevent dying.

Can be abusable, especially by snipers.

Honor seems to be less and less important with people these days.

You mean to say that JO/JA has less honour rules than games in the past? Like Pac Man? Should I not eat the ghosts when I have a power pellet, since they are defenceless? In a racing game, should I not pass another player who has a flat tire? Why are these examples any less valid? Why should honour apply any less to them? What makes JO/JA so different that the goals of the game should not be adhered to?

Sometimes people want to fight and chat and keep their points. By killing someone with chatbox up or saber down you are taking away their fun from the game to gain your own. You are being selfish and rude.

Hello Kettle? This is Pot. Your black. Of course, those who sit on a public server and chat and demand not to be interfered with and kick/ban/amslap those who do are taking away the fun of players who want to actually play the game. Why are those players less important?

You are taking the fun out of the game someone spent their money to get.

Do "lamer" players spend any less money? No. Are "honour" players taking the fun out of the game for them? Yes. People are buying this game, reading the rules in the manual, and going online and getting verbally abused for playing the game. You are claiming that it is okay to do exactly the same thing to other players that you don't want done to you.

It's no fun to get killed again and again by people when you have no defense.

But they do have a defense. It is provided by the game. You (the general you) are refusing to use the defenses provided to everyone and then complaining that they have no defense. If you want some defense, press "1".

People have a right to chat, to talk, and to explore the server, they need not always fight.

And people have the right to go on a public server and play the game according to the rules specified by the gametype in the manual. People do not have to fight, but they should have to live with the consequences of that decision. What are you exploring on a server?

You must take a look from the other perspective.

You should do the same.

The honor code was erected so that all could enjoy the game, without it chaos erupts and the game dies quickly.

But don't you see that the honour code is making it so many cannot enjoy the game? It is making it so there is no game. The honour system encourages not playing the game at all. And chaos erupting, as in a Free For All, is exactly what will keep the game going, as it what the game is designed to provide.

Some people wish to enjoy the game for more than a month. Not everybody has the money to go buy a new game every week.

And non-honour players also want to enjoy the game for more than a month, and do not all have the money to buy a new game every week. But why did you buy the game if all you want to do is chat with your friends. Surely there are cheaper alternatives. What does JA provided that isn't available elsewhere? For non-honour players, it provides lightsaber and Star Wars combat.

Not to mention the moral issue. You see it as merely a game.

Because it is a game.

Video games are games. They are not real life. Many rules that apply in real life do not apply to video games. I do not apply my moral code to video games. If I did, I would have a hard time killing people since I tend not to do that in real life. I realize that if I kill someone in a game, the person controlling that character is still ok. I understand that if someone kills me, I am okay and I spawn back in right away, no harm no foul. No need to get upset. I realize that playing by the game's rules does not reflect my moral character. What does reflect my moral character is how I treat others that I play with. That is why I don't degrade into calling people racist and sexist names, or use derogatory words like "lamer" and "newb". That is much more of an indication of what kind of person I am than sticking a pretend lightsaber through a pretend character.

What are games for if not to have fun. You are taking away their fun for your own enjoyment.

As are you from theirs. It goes both ways.

It's basicly like cheating.

But doesn't cheating mean not playing by the rules? The rules in my manual say kill opposing players to get the most points. All things being equal, honour players are following the rules provided by the game less than others.

They have no defense so you slaughter them.

But they do have a defense, they just choose not to use it. Are you not complaining about being handicapped after choosing to be handicapped?

There is a community at stake here and you risk it all for a few seconds of enjoyment.

There is a community at stake. It may help to look in the mirror, as the honour side's hands are just as bloody as anyone else's.

Well,they can defend themselve,they can explore the map without any prob,it not like any newbie would hurt "'the honorable'' people to the point where they gonna quit the game look what im trying to say is why do you even care if someone killed you cheaply it a game afterall,dont suicide pal,you can kill the newbie pos back

And having a bunch of new people in JKA would be great,and could help a tons to bring more competitive clan =),we all started as a newbie,but if i woulda started in 1.4 i would play CS right now.

not everybody enjoys constant fighting, so your going to punish them for it? And you say they are anoying

But then why are they playing a game that is designed for constant fighting? If they don't want fighting, certainly there must be other games that aren't for constant fighting. Why not play those, since it seems JA is not intended for what you want anyway.

As for ignoring saber down people, if it was only a few people per server, I would. But joining servers where most or all have them down, that pretty much kills the game, doesn't it?

that where the freakin problem is godamit,90% OF THE FFA SERVER ARE RUNNING THAT RULE

and it not evry1 that got the money to run a server,of course people that are running one got the right what they want but,there is a consequence on how they run them,cmon you cant deny if people would play more it would bring WAY more people into this game,and it could be really a blast

cuz right now all the admin that run a server are screwing up newbie around to the poin that they quit the game,they are not annoying,their just giving a shot for the the first time on JKA

woa !!!

Admiral Chemix,

i began to wonder if there were a normal person here who is enough open minded to understant both parties...... :)

well in order to resume the situation without insulting :

*** class 1 :some people like servers where the rules is no rules .

** class 2 : some like server where the rulees is not kill ground, no kill saber doown, no chat kill ....

*** class n : some people like server where the rules is RULEn

ok i each case when u come on a server respect its rules.....

****for the class1; the server admin can disllow all cmd admins

**** for the class 2 : the server admin must choose carefully its future admins and take a look on him

*** for the classN : well it depends on your RULESn :)

for the class 2, accoding to me, server owners mustn't give the council pass execpt to very steady people

I should onlu give the knight pass and define himselp admin cmds that take no risk of abuse and then give him later more rights when he knows him better............

but to conclude, THE MOST IMPORTANT IS TOLERANCE,

YOU MAY ACCEPT DEFFERENT POINT OF VIEW

We are all differents, and there are anough server to find the one which is adapated to its point of view

SPecialy for Admiral Chemix, your proposition is very cool....

but i diceded to wait a moment before adding new stuff...

i will concentrate on remove bugs, imporve existing features....

and then i have project to devlop a very nex gametype

but later.....

so i keep the contact with u

send me a previte message and i take u in my msn list

my solution is to provide a rcon system to disallow the admin cmd u want....

That won't achieve much I'm afraid - assuming your aim is to keep the 'I-just-want-to-play-the-game-as-it-was-designed' crowd somewhat happy.

You might cut down on the 'bad' servers (from the non-honour point of view) a bit, but only slightly.

The 'proper' solution would be one of these two:

a. Don't include 'abuseable' admin commands in the first place.

b. Require a client-side download. Then you can add all the 'abuseable' admin commands you like ...and whichever ones the 'honour' players / clans like too. It just means the effects of these 'features' get cleanly and clearly restricted to those who actually want to play with harshly restricted honour rules...

I really don't see the major problem with the second option - apart from the honour crowd perhaps being too lazy to download a small file before they play...!

But just think of it - once you've download the file, the servers this allows you to play on will be 'lamer' free - garuanteed (because 'lamers' obviously will not have bothered to download the file to play on those servers).

So both sides win as far as I see.

THe honour guys get 'lamer-free' servers, with the admins rarely having to punish people at all - because the people who would cause trouble won't show up in the first place.

...newbs can't accidently stumble into an 'honour' server and get bashed around for following a code they have no idea about.

And seasoned non-honour players don't have to keep track of honour / non-honour servers. As long as they can join a server, they can be sure they aren't gonna have 'abusive' admin commands thrown at them.

...I really think this would be the ideal solution for all...

So slider -when you say this:

i began to wonder if there were a normal person here who is enough open minded to understant both parties......

THis is EXACTLY what I am trying to do. Requiring a client-side download would make DAMN SURE both honour and non-honour / newbs could play the game in peace without butting heads with each-other all the time...

If the intention of your mod is to stop so called 'laming', then I can't think of a more effective and efficient way to achieve that goal than to require a small client-side download to play on your servers...

GO TO A DIFFERENT SERVER THEN INSTEAD OF RUINING THEIR FUN FOR YOUR OWN. Or better yet instead of anoying people, buy your own server, just for lamers

Hey, I'd love to go to other servers that are for "lamers". Thus I tend to go to the Chop Shop a lot. I don't want to ruin fun for others. All I am saying is that honour players are also ruining fun for others. It has to work both ways...

Originally posted by slider

woa !!!

Admiral Chemix,

i began to wonder if there were a normal person here who is enough open minded to understant both parties...... :)

well in order to resume the situation without insulting :

*** class 1 :some people like servers where the rules is no rules .

** class 2 : some like server where the rulees is not kill ground, no kill saber doown, no chat kill ....

*** class n : some people like server where the rules is RULEn

ok i each case when u come on a server respect its rules.....

****for the class1; the server admin can disllow all cmd admins

**** for the class 2 : the server admin must choose carefully its future admins and take a look on him

*** for the classN : well it depends on your RULESn :)

for the class 2, accoding to me, server owners mustn't give the council pass execpt to very steady people

I should onlu give the knight pass and define himselp admin cmds that take no risk of abuse and then give him later more rights when he knows him better............

but to conclude, THE MOST IMPORTANT IS TOLERANCE,

YOU MAY ACCEPT DEFFERENT POINT OF VIEW

We are all differents, and there are anough server to find the one which is adapated to its point of view

SPecialy for Admiral Chemix, your proposition is very cool....

but i diceded to wait a moment before adding new stuff...

i will concentrate on remove bugs, imporve existing features....

and then i have project to devlop a very nex gametype

but later.....

so i keep the contact with u

send me a previte message and i take u in my msn list

[Edit: Please don't resort to flames to express your opinion, thank you. ]

Edit:no wait il keep posting,im the most bored man ever created

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

...newbs can't accidently stumble into an 'honour' server and get bashed around for following a code they have no idea about.

I would say that that is where most of the problems are as both kinds of players encounter each other more than they'd like. And that's when problems arise. I don't go around looking to bother honour players, but at the same time I don't like having to connect to 10 servers before I find one that has what I want. If I knew where to go right away I would be happy.

That my whole point,

how can a newbie enjoy the game if he got absolutly no idea what a good server,hes gonna try ...let say 5 server and might fall on one where evry1 is playing and having fun,but he got lucky to find such a server,if i would tried 5-10 server i would try another game right away

Slider,

You have an opportunity here to work with and benefit the WHOLE community...

...rather than FOR half of it, and AGAINST the other.

Make your mod require a client-side download

Sure, you may have a few people moan at you.

But once they've spent the 5 mins it takes to download the client-side file, they won't moan anymore. And you will have made a mod which - in the long run - will benefit a hell of a lot of players WITHOUT getting a whole bunch of others pissed off.

...I hope you see the light on this one dude... ;)

side the one man french army.

:p

how about this?

put an icon in the in-game browser for honor servers, kind of like the way you have icons for saber only and such.

It can be a bright pink icon with a rainbow in the background and in the middle it can have two "life partners" holding hands with chat bubbles over their heads.

Archived