Home

ROTK Thread [Possible and likely Spoilers]

Darth Homer

Ok, official thread for people who have seen ROTK, spoilers will no doubt be posted, go read/reread the book(s) if you really want to know what happens.

Well, furst let me say WOW!!!

and secondly [Cartman]OW! MY ASS!![/Cartman]

it seems that the theater I go to needs to redo it's seats...

oh yeah, the movie...

What can I say but I believe that this makes the trilogy the best movie set ever. Yes, you read that right...LOTR is better than Star Wars. At least until the next movie ;).

Post away! :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God, how I hate people who say

"Go read the books if you want spoilers!"

I'm sorry but that is not always true

Look at the movie Jurassic Park...THAT WAS NOT LIKE THE BOOK.

Look at many books turned movies, they do not always stay true.

Besides....I DON"T HAVE TIME TO READ THOSE DAMN LONG BOOKS!!!

Sorry I'm venting

I'm stilled pissed off about teh Keiko thread in the swamp.

Please Devuldge Homer

I want to know what happened.

Fine fine, just a few!

1. I teared up many many times.

2. There's a scene where huge fire beakons are lit all across a mountain range; Gondor's signal for help. It was one of my favorite scene.

3. "THAT STILL ONLY COUNTS AS ONE!" :D Best Gimli line evar. It happens after Legolas single handedly takes down a giant elephant full of baddies, then lands right in front of an awe struck Gimli.

4. The army of the dead was so very cool. They ferociously swarm in battle.

5. There's SOOOOOOOO much music in it that isn't on the ost. I want an ultimate edition of the ost or something. :D

6. You know ho wthe average movie has a highlight sometime near the end of the movie wear you're like, "WOW!"? RotK is like one of those, over and over and over again.

7. Man there ARE a lot of endings. (Screen goes black for like five seconds then something else comes) :D I didn't mind any of them though.

8. I'm not sure how it got a pg-13 rating. There was extreme violence throughout. Heads being chucked, people being crushed all over the place, blood everywhere, TWO cases of someone being burned to death and much more!

9. When you see Denathor end himself, remember to think of my MST3K line for when he does it.

"Eh, I give the dive a ten but I doubt he'll stick the landing"

Oh how I amuse myself. :D

10. Everyone has lots of screentime.

11. I cannot WAIT for the EE edition for I know it will somehow manage to be even better than this version.

Now Peter, Bring on da Hobbit!

First, my appologies, STTCT, I didn't realize it would anger you.

Second, I didn't post spoilers at that time because it was 3:30am or so and I was rapidly becoming very tired.

so, here we go:

I absolutely loved the battle for Minaztirith(sp?)

The best part for me was when the Riders of rohan showed up and just sliced through the orc lines.

Then the elephant charge, the ghost army, just awesome!!

I really like where the ghosts take down the elephant in the background.

When Eowyn stood up to the Witch King was the first time I had ever heard an audience clap during the middle of the movie...they litterally cheered for her.

I'm definitely going to see it again! :D

MINAS TIRITH. AKA Tower of the Sun and AKA the White City.

The movie was f'n awesome, but as a fan of the book a few things disappointed me.

1. Why the hell didn't we get the Gandalf/Witch-King confrontation?! It was even in the first f'n teaser trailer! What the hell? I was DYING to see Gandalf with his "You shall not pass" line again...

2. I didn't like what they did with Sam at Shelob's Lair. I wanted to see the sneak attack by Gollum and Sam, and Sam squashing him.

3. No Mouth of Sauron?

4. No Saruman?!

5. No Ghan-buri-ghan? (Kidding! :p )

6. Why don't see a decent death of the Orc Captain outside of the White City? We saw all the other orc and enemy heroes die...

7. I'm guessing the EE will show the 3 Elven rings on the hands of Elrond, Galadriel and Gandalf at the end. And hopefully everything else that I just mentioned...

But it still f'n RULED! Bring some tissues if you cry easily... or even if you don't! It's sad as all hell at the end!

I'll have to agree here, I am a Star Wars fan hardcore, books, comics, games, movies... you name it.

But the LOTR trilogy tops the Star Wars movies for best recent trilogy. Blows the prequel trilogy out of the water and earns a spot right next to the classic trilogy, but it's hard for me to say one is better than another since they were made like 25 years apart... but it definately ties if not beats the classic trilogy. The only thing that is keeping it from being my numero uno movie right now is the fact that it's too long and I'm a history fan, not a literature fan.

And this movie does that without me even being a fan of Lord of the Rings before the movies... and I still aint one. I just thought the movies rocked seriously.

That having been said, a few of the things I liked...

1. Teh battle of Minas Tirith was teh roxxor.

2. Gollum/Smeagol deserves an Oscar of some sort.

3. When the army of the dead took the oliphant down... did it look like they were a pack of mice jumping on something?

4. And then Gron came on!!! :D (I've heard of the books several times from my friends about that part)

5. There were many male life-partner scenes involving Sam&Frodo&Gollum and Merry&Pippin and Gimli&Legolas... and I laughed at all the MST3King going on. :D

6. Kudos to Rhett, the jumping scene was funny enough without the commentary.. but it fits so perfectly. :D

7. I laughed, I cried, my bladder nearly ruptured itslef down Eets leg without me even buying a drink... go see this movie.

And I saw Last Samurai last night also and it was an awesome movie in its own right... but this is just a WOW movie... or as we say here in the south, it was a humdinger of a flick. :)

I LOVE YOU ROTK!!!!!!!!!!!

I love ROTK enough to marry it.

SOOOOO FRICKIN AWESOME...soooooo frickin awesome...I didn't even notice how long it was because I enjoyed the movie so much.

As people have already said, there were alot of scenes that made you want to cry...hell I cried when the Riders of Rohan made their huge charge because the scene was so PERFECT...down to the orcs moving out in front as skirmishers to slow them down...something you'll never see in a Star Wars movie (I'm refering to the masses of droid armies in Episode one that bugs the freaking hell out of me because it just cuts down troops and is totally NOT what they would use...twas all just for show...where as ROTK, twas not). Sure they may have pushed a few things too far...like Gollum...his performance was a far cry from what he did in Two Towers...it was a tiny bit dissapointing, but it didn't detract much from a near perfect movie.

I LOVE YOU ROTK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I watched the movie with 3 elves, 2 halflings and a rider of rohan (no I am not joking...full outfit)...and I watched it at 2:30 with a sold out crowd...on the way out we saw even more costumed people lined up outside the door...twas 6:00.

BEST LOTR MOVIE!!!!!!!

holy ****....just got back from it...must...see it again!!!!!

some funny parts that werren't meant to be funny (made possible by the ****tiest and only theatre available in my area!)

THERE WAS A ****ING INTERMISSION RIGHT AFTER THAT GUY THREW HIMSELF OFF THE BUILDING!!!!

When Frodo is showing sam his book, and it goes to "by bilbo baggins and-then while he continues, the music gets all ****ed up and it sounds like a 'o yeah right' part of the movie, that prevented me from tearing up at all throughout the rest of the movie cause i couldn't stop laughing about it!

my favorite parts were (warning major spoilage ahead):

1. When the king jumped off the cliff...

2. When Frodo was holding the ring for the longest time (i swear my heart was racing)

3. when frodo turned to the dark side and put the ring on!!!

4. When the witchking got fragged...BY A GIRL!!! AND BLONDE AT THAT!!!

In the words of our Neo.... HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THINGS HOLY! er... I mean "woah."

That movie was perfect.. well....

Maybe I wanted to see the hobbits fight back for the shire, but I'll survive

This movie is priceless. The Battle at Minas Tirith pwned.

I will have to see this manymanymanymany more times.

*steps up*

Fine. As usual, I'll be the one to be ruining the party. Slightly. I will not hide behind anything nor dodge your arrows. I am just asking you to only fire them once you're done reading my whole post. By the way, my review contains spoilers that I'm not going to mark, so just skip if you don't want to be spoiled.

When I first began watching it (Sméagol's scene), it looked promising. I liked the fact that they finally showed the origins of Gollum, and they did it pretty well from what I can remember of the book. It's been a long while since I read FotR and TTT, but I only started reading RotK a week ago. I didn't finish it, but I got past the Mount Doom chapter, then decided I knew enough to go see the movie.

I do not regret my decision, it was a good timing. However, I was stunned at the first half of the movie, and not in a good way I can assure you. I knew about the lack of closure of the Saruman story, and that did not bother me. I can live with cuts; I understand they are necessary. Even some modifications of the story, I can let them pass. But when they modify HUGE chunks of the story uselessly, it really gets to me. While Faramir was totally different in the movie version of TTT, he was still likeable.

That change was nothing compared to the utter raping of the character of Denethor in Return of the King.

Anyone who remembers the book clearly enough (as you already know, it was very fresh in my memory) will agree with me that every scene he was in was a total disaster. They stripped the character from every ounce of his grandeur and power. And that's not all: not only do they make him mad from the start, they also cut his REASON for becoming mad! How can anyone like him?! In the book, Pippin offers his service to Denethor out of respect and amazement for this man. There's none of that in the movie. He relunctantly gives his service to repay Boromir's death, only to regret having done that a few seconds later.

My second complaint (out of three) is much less significant. It was just a little complaint I have about the Frodo side of the story (which overall was marvelously done). I'm not sure I can explain why, but I definitely didn't like Gollum trying to turn Frodo against Sam. That didn't happen in the book, and it seemed out of character for Frodo (don't give me the influence of the Ring, I thought about that already). I thought the way the book handled this was more subtle (and certainly could have worked in the movie).

My third qualm is about Aragorn's quest in the Path of the Dead. I didn't think too much of the fact that the army of Rangers didn't accompany him. Again, that was a cut, and it was a good reason. I also didn't mind the fact that the undead actually reached Minas Tirith (in the book, Aragorn sends them away after the ships have been taken). They obviously had to give Aragorn an army, since they cut the rangers. No, my complain was inside the actual Path of the Dead. In the book, the dead never spoke, and they never became hostile toward Aragorn. They actually didn't appear until they were *out* of the Path of the Dead. The scene where Aragorn makes them join made me go "wow... this movie is made for those who didn't read the book, not for me".

All these things increased my dissatisfaction about the movie, and I began to fear that I would downright dislike it. At Denethor's death scene, I was so disgusted that I was about to walk out of the theater.

I didn't. And I am very glad I didn't! Because everything that followed the arrival of the Rohirrim on the plains of Pelennor was considerably better! Things really started looking up from there. What followed, I liked very much. Especially Frodo's side of the story: I believe that saved the movie. The ending was perfect (although I haven't read that part of the book yet :D) and I did tear up at the end, although for personal reasons.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. I hope the extended cut will lessen the undescribable evil that were the Denethor scenes... at least giving him back his REASON for becoming mad (the palantir) would help!

...you can fire your arrows now :D

my biggest bitches: no gandalf/witch-king confrontation and the lack of sam vs. smeagol in shelob's lair.

that being said... they've done a lot more to frodo's character than have him fight with sam.

main differences from the first 2 movies...

A: He's 50 in the book when they first take off.

B: He leaves with Sam and Pippin and meet Merry later and then take off.

C: They never go to Osigiliath with Faramir. and then doesn't give in to the Ring and Nazgul THERE! THAT should be the biggest complaint is that he doesn't give in until the end.

D: He never draws his blade on Sam.

also in ROTK

he gets stung on the back of the neck/shoulder blade area by Shelob.

he doesn't fight Gollum on the cracks on doom and almost fall in.

he's nekkid after the orcs get done with him...

shall i go on? that being said... sh*t happens and we all have to deal with it.

as far as Denethor... it's tough to disagree with you there too. he's obviously gone mad, but in the book they explain clearly by his revealing of the palantir from the white tower. he sees only what sauron wants him to see when he looks into it, so he has no hope left for anything. they don't exactly explain why he's gone mad.

hell, he's lit the beacons in the book and sent the red arrow to theoden. but you have to admit that the lighting of the beacons was a really cool f'n sequence! (even though one of them is above the clouds and there's no way the fire could be seen or the people lighting it could see another one! ;)

the army of the dead? eh... no big deal. hell, he sees the corairs by looking into the stone and we don't see that. we also know that in the book he has Anduril by the time he leaves Imladris.

AND that the main point of him leaving is to go to Minas Tirith with Boromir in the first place! :) but sh*t happens... can't wait to go see it a third time soon!

but you can't deny the fact it's one bad ass movie!

Originally posted by krkode

Pbguy

A. A 50 year old hobbit doesn't necessarily look like a 50 year old human. Bilbo is eleventy one, and he doesn't look like a hundred and eleven. Suspension in disbelief, my friend. Although I realize this wasn't a problem for you, just addressing it.

um...sry Krk...but they apparently do...remember...Bilbo's life was suspended and he was granted long life thanks to the ring's effect to streach out someone's life. So in Fellowship he looked normal and unchanged...but in ROTK he looked very much like a 115 year old.

krkode:

in TTT:EE they mention that though they changed a lot in TTT, they had BIGGER changes in FOTR. the biggest of all ebing Frodo's age. And i think bilbo lived to be 129 when he went u know where... that was the oldest of any hobbit. so they should age similarly to humans in theory and oh my god... i can't beleieve we're having this discussion...

*hangs self* :p

Well, sorry to rain on the parade again, and i won't bother with spoilers, but i just didn't think it was that great. A good movie, to be sure, but certainly not the greatest movie of all time *cough*Rhett*cough* ;)

Some of the battle scenes were cool, but for someone who hasn't read the books and is only a casual fan of the movies, it just wasn't that great, especially...well...just about every part except the battles. And because it was so long and so much had to be cut, we didn't get any really good, long dialogue sequences. There were a few decent one or two line quotes that i liked, but overall it wasn't satisfying in terms of language/dialogue.

Oh, and i was very disappointed in the music. The trailer music is just about the coolest music ever, but they didn't use that at all in the movie, even for action. Eiethr that or the music volume wasn't mixed very well. It all seemed really slow and unecciting, and while i do like some of that, the upbeat and epic stuff is alot better.

Oh, i HATE it when people clap for events in the movie. I just wanted to stand up and tell everyone to shut up, that it isn't actually real. Argh!

No reason for Denethor being the way he was in the movie? It was obviously conveyed to be the outcome of the death of his son in the movie. :indif: Perhaps in the EE they'll involve the Palantir again but it was clearly started by Boromir's demise in this cut of the film.

Even in the book his depression spiral was started by the death of his son. Add his utter distaste for Gandalf and you have perfect reasoning for the way he acted in his scenes. His crazyness was only ever supposedly having to do with what he saw in the palantir.

(don't give me the influence of the Ring, I thought about that already)

So you're essentially saying, "Don't give me the correct answer to my question, I thought about that already." :indif: The ring was making him extremely paranoid. Gollum knew this and took advantage of it. I'd have been disappointed if that angle wasn't worked.

I'm sure in the following days Eets and I will take turns cluster-beating this all into you. :wavey:

The army of the dead appearing inside the cave instead of outside is an issue? Who the hell cares? :confused:

And there's nothing wrong with clapping during scenes of a movie, Tie. You're just mad that there were no Vong. :p

Sincerely,

Rhett, Return of the King is the best movie ever, Peterson

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

No reason for Denethor being the way he was in the movie? It was obviously conveyed to be the outcome of the death of his son in the movie. :indif: Perhaps in the EE they'll involve the Palantir again but it was clearly started by Boromir's demise in this cut of the film.

Even in the book his depression spiral was started by the death of his son. Add his utter distaste for Gandalf and you have perfect reasoning for the way he acted in his scenes. His crazyness was only ever supposedly having to do with what he saw in the palantir.

Wrong! In the book, right after his son dies, that's what triggers his impulse to look in the palantir, and only after that does he really abandon all hopes. Read the book again Rhett; you said it yourself, you needed to read it again. You'll see how much more subtle it was, much more beautiful.

So you're essentially saying, "Don't give me the correct answer to my question, I thought about that already." :indif: The ring was making him extremely paranoid. Gollum knew this and took advantage of it. I'd have been disappointed if that angle wasn't worked.
The correct answer is in the book: there was no such thing :p And the angle *was* worked in the book. And I prefered the way the book handled it.

I'm sure in the following days Eets and I will take turns cluster-beating this all into you. :wavey:
Actually, Eets was very nice about it and respected my opinion. He understood my point of view and I understood his.

The army of the dead appearing inside the cave instead of outside is an issue? Who the hell cares? :confused:
Well I obviously do, or else I wouldn't have mentionned it. My main complaint was about Denethor; the rest were mostly nitpicking that I wanted to point out for those who didn't read the book... or those who can't remember much of it.

Also, I'd like to mention something else. Surprisingly, the book made me feel many more emotions than the movie did. I honestly didn't expect that to happen, because I usually am a very visual person, and the music really moves me. But, I'm not sure why, there were three moments in the story where the book left me in awe, and the movie didn't:

1. When Merry stabs the Nazgul

2. When Aragorn arrives on the Pelennor fields, saving the day

3. The destruction of the Ring, obviously.

Originally posted by darthfergie

um...sry Krk...but they apparently do...remember...Bilbo's life was suspended and he was granted long life thanks to the ring's effect to streach out someone's life. So in Fellowship he looked normal and unchanged...but in ROTK he looked very much like a 115 year old.

oh. :indif:

My bad, then.

That said, according to the stuff at the back of the book, Aragorn is supposed to be 84 at the time of the events of the Lord of the Rings...

Archived