Home

ROTK Thread [Possible and likely Spoilers]

Darth Homer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no...I think the book did do a better job of Aragorn's arrival. I didn't know he was on those ships in the books...they had all of the people thinking "Oh crap...reinforcements of the army of Mordor...we're screwed...WAIT! HOLY HECK IT'S ARAGORN!!!!!!"

at least that's how I remember it...has been a while...

you people are so mad about the denethor planatir thing, but he does talk about it when he was saying stuff like: "The eyes of thw white tower aren't as blind as you think" and "I see more than.." something like that, but he does talk about it.

and about frodo: Fellowship book, the Shadow of the Past, page 42, "As time went on, people began to notice that Frodo also showed signes of 'preservation': outwardly he retained the appearance of a robust and energetic hobbit just out of his tweens. 'Some folk have all the luck,' they said; but it was not until Frodo approached the usually more sober age of fifty that they began to think it queer.", and I believe Elija Wood is "just out of his tweens"

so please do your homework before you decide to put down the movie ;)

P.S. Who is this Eets you speak of? :confused:

Originally posted by darthfergie

no...I think the book did do a better job of Aragorn's arrival. I didn't know he was on those ships in the books...they had all of the people thinking "Oh crap...reinforcements of the army of Mordor...we're screwed...WAIT! HOLY HECK IT'S ARAGORN!!!!!!"

at least that's how I remember it...has been a while...

I love you Fergie. You took the words right out of my mouth. You naughty boy.

you people are so mad about the denethor planatir thing, but he does talk about it when he was saying stuff like: "The eyes of thw white tower aren't as blind as you think" and "I see more than.." something like that, but he does talk about it.
Actually I thought he was referring to his own talent at perceiving what other people think. It is mentioned many times in the book. But I guess he could be referring to the palantir... either way, we never see Gandalf and the others discover that he was using one.

P.S. Who is this Eets you speak of?
*roasts newbie* anyone want a bite? ^_^

P.S. Who is this Eets you speak of?

What the f.. :indif: *beats IG-## over the head with a flail*

Actually, Eets was very nice about it and respected my opinion. He understood my point of view and I understood his.

No, I just didn't want to start another LOTR argument. :p You're still going to get cluster-beaten.

No reason for Denethor being the way he was in the movie? It was obviously conveyed to be the outcome of the death of his son in the movie. Perhaps in the EE they'll involve the Palantir again but it was clearly started by Boromir's demise in this cut of the film.

Even in the book his depression spiral was started by the death of his son. Add his utter distaste for Gandalf and you have perfect reasoning for the way he acted in his scenes. His crazyness was only ever supposedly having to do with what he saw in the palantir.

Can I get a huzzah and an amen? Thank you.

Perhaps your judgement of this scene is clouded by your knowledge of the book.

While yes, it didn't take me long to figure out that these weren't reinforcements, I still didn't know it was Aragorn who was commanding the ships at first.

I think you frickin' Tolkien-nazis those of you who read the books and are viewing this movie as anything less than a cinematic milestone need to step back and shove the book up your ass take a look at just how damn good this movie is, Tolkien-esque or not.

You guys have to stop being rude to new people. :) You'll only drive them away further solidifying the opinion that you guys are trolls. Who is the Eets, anyway?

So, just came back from watching the movie:

Groovy :D

I can't say I saw anything with disgust, but I guess that was because I went in expecting so much and felt like I got so much. I sat through three and a half hours of movie goodness forgetting about such important things as the fate of my bladder! :eek:

The ghost army. I forget how it was supposed to be in the book, but I frankly care little. Groovy. The way they storm the battlefield and just run over the Oliphaunt was sweet.

Legolas's handling the Oliphaunt. I thought this was somewhat silly. The fact that he makes it look so easy reduces the feeling of accomplishment. But the look on Gimli's face afterward - priceless.

The whole theatre (atleast the women) squealed with joy when Eowen took off her helmet saying, "I'm no man. I'm a woman," and smote the evil Nazgul. I thought that was neat :p Of her, not of the women in the theatre. :indif:

Finally, I seem to have forgotten the orientation of fingers, but didn't Frodo's finger get bitten off? But then when he's writing the book, it seems whole again! Left hand, right hand? :indif:

Final words: good movie. See it. What a start to Winter break!

to me the timing of Aragorn's arrival was easy to spot. Namely because of it's timing in the book. In the book Gandalf and the Witch-King are about to go head to head and... huh? what's that? horns? oh look! Rohan has come in the nick of time! :p

And you know that Aragorn has the army of the dead following him already (which seemed creepier in the book as did Shelob's Lair (because they're supposed to be PITCH BLACK!) so it was kind of just time for Aragorn to re-appear when he did in the book. Then again that's just me.

My biggest complaint was still the lack of Gandalf-Witch King confrontation.

To a lesser extenet, the botching of Faramir in TTT. The few things they could have done to help explain Denethor's nuttiness.

IE: He's THAT crazy because of his son's death to NOT call for aid by lighting the beacons or sending the red arrow!?

I also didn't like the way they handled Sam in Shelob's Lair. I just wanted to see him squash Gollum. And I could have SWORN I saw a clip of the 2 of them in there at the same time at one point....

Now, something I haven't heard people speak much of yet.

I loved Merry and Pippin in this movie. Moreso Pippin.

Them being wasted and baked when the crew arrive at Isengard in the beginning was hilarious! "The salted pork is particularly tasty!" As Merry puffs some of South Farthings best. Classic!

And Gandalf saying "Of all the inquisitive hobbits, YOU ARE THE WORST!" Ha! Excellent!

well, TECHNICALLY ;) he meets them before the flooding of Isengard the night before and calls him a "tom-fool of a Took!" but that's nitpicking! :p

and theoden's speech to the Rohirrim before the charge was AWESOME! and Arwen's quoting of the dream culminating with: "the crownless again shall be king" were great touches!

Originally posted by pbguy1211

(which seemed creepier in the book as did Shelob's Lair (because they're supposed to be PITCH BLACK!)

they were pitch black to the characters in the movie but not to you because you have the power of movie magic :p now wouldn't it be boring if you couldn't see anything? Remember in moria when they had it black at the start so they could show gandalf's lighting staff and then the rest was perfectly light? movie magic...

I saw it today. I liked it. (Of course.)

When the movies started I decided to make sure I judged them on thier own merits without concentrating too much on how they differed from the books. Obviously many changes had to be made for the films to work. Something that reads exciting may fall flat on the screen, and anything you show on screen has to be explained somehow, either by talking about it (Boring!!! "Matrix Reloaded" anyone?) or usually by showing it... but that takes screen time to do and makes the movie even longer.

The writing team had an unenviable and almost impossible task in adapting these books into movies, and I think for the most part they did an excellent job. Go back and watch the cartoon version of LOTR again and you will appriciate how well these movies came out. I'm sure they agonized over every change and cut that they made that would be noticed and harped upon by the Tolkien fanatics out there.

But no movie adaption of a book this deep could ever really be 100% true and accurate down to every detail... and trust me, only the most die-hard Tolkien freaks would be able to sit through it if it were.

Very few of the people I know who rave about how amazing these films were have ever read the books. When they ask me if the books were as good I always say "No. They're better! But different."

A slow decent into madness is a very difficult thing to show on screen, especially when you have a limited span of time to show it and are trying to tell several other storylines at the same time and still have to leave room for a world-shattering epic battle scene to play out.

Just saw the movie 2 days ago... it's pretty great.

*Point of view of someone who didn't read the books*

And I thought that the battle at the end of TTT was huge... When I saw all the orcs near Minas Tirith, I was like :eek:

The battles were really nice, and Minas was really well done (didn't read the book, but I think it was great).

My two biggest disappointment :

The lack of use of magic. I know, if the wizards don't use magic in the books, they shouldn't in the movies... but I really liked the Saruman/Gandalf duel in FOTR, and I think that Gandalf should have unleashed his so-said powerful magic on all those stupic orcs! Perhaps if we had the Gandalf vs Witch-King duel, there would be more magic, but anyways...

Second, NO SARUMAN??? and why the hell did they take off the scene at the end with Saruman and Wormtongue??

----> In short, I found the movie excellent, but was disappointed because no C.Lee. I'll probably go see it again during the holydays though

Saw it last night, very very good. And I'm NOT gonna get anal-retentive about movie-book continuity. (You know who you are) I don't go to the movies to nitpick every detail, I go to the movies to be entertained, and entertained I was. I can't pick out a certain part, it was all good, yo.

Originally posted by Darth54

Just saw the movie 2 days ago... it's pretty great.

*Point of view of someone who didn't read the books*

And I thought that the battle at the end of TTT was huge... When I saw all the orcs near Minas Tirith, I was like :eek:

The battles were really nice, and Minas was really well done (didn't read the book, but I think it was great).

My two biggest disappointment :

The lack of use of magic. I know, if the wizards don't use magic in the books, they shouldn't in the movies... but I really liked the Saruman/Gandalf duel in FOTR, and I think that Gandalf should have unleashed his so-said powerful magic on all those stupic orcs! Perhaps if we had the Gandalf vs Witch-King duel, there would be more magic, but anyways...

Second, NO SARUMAN??? and why the hell did they take off the scene at the end with Saruman and Wormtongue??

----> In short, I found the movie excellent, but was disappointed because no C.Lee. I'll probably go see it again during the holydays though

LotR Fact: Actually, they are not really wizards, thats just what they call themselves, they were just powerfull guys made by the gods to stop sauron if he ever came back

Originally posted by pbguy1211

krkode:

in TTT:EE they mention that though they changed a lot in TTT, they had BIGGER changes in FOTR. the biggest of all ebing Frodo's age. And i think bilbo lived to be 129 when he went u know where... that was the oldest of any hobbit. so they should age similarly to humans in theory and oh my god... i can't beleieve we're having this discussion...

*hangs self* :p

Actually, having just read the Hobbit (yesterday :D I can read the books now that I've seen RotK! Wheee! Ya, ya, no Hobbit movie yet, but who cares, it's a prequel) I can tell you that some Took lived to be 130 way before Bilbo was born, and 100 is not an uncommon hobitty age to live to. ;)

Not that I'm an expert or anything :p

Since I haven't got to the RotK book (barely finished the first chapter of FotR) yet, all this whining about how it wasn't exactly like in the book is kinda baffling to me. :D

I loved this movie. So, so, pretty...

My favorite parts:

1) Pippin singing when Faramir and co. were riding to their deaths. THAT scene is going to stay with me for a long time. o.o

2) "You bow to no one."

3) Eowyn with girl power! :D

Also...Merry and Pippin came off as far more unique. In Fellowship, they were "indistinguishable backup hobbits". In TTT, well, you knew who they were, but you just didn't care. In RotK, well...they were awesome. :D

Things I could whine about:

1) Just a teensy bit more of the pretty (ironic) green army of the dead...

2) Couldn't the Witch-King have had a bit more to do? I mean, he/it (I'm betting not she) was awesome in his/it's few scenes, but... Also, I loathed Denethor far, far more than I ever could have loathed Sauron, but they weren't fighting the war against HIM! ;)

3) Too many false endings! ^^ I loved them all, but couldn't they have been handled slightly differently? ^_~

A last, very small nitpick: The trolls looked computer animated. The troll in FotR didn't. To me. Anyway. And no one else cares. Anywhere. ^_~

Who the bloody is Radagast the Brown?! I keep hearing jokes about him, and I know he's a wizard, but...what exactly did he do? Did I blink at the wrong moment during Two Towers or something? :xp:

Originally posted by Redwing

Who the bloody is Radagast the Brown?! I keep hearing jokes about him, and I know he's a wizard, but...what exactly did he do? Did I blink at the wrong moment during Two Towers or something? :xp:

Basically he runs into Gandalf and says, "Hey! Saruman is looking for you, dude!" at which point Gandalf runs off, only to get imprisoned at Orthanc.

They left him out of the movies. I guess they didn't want to introduce yet another character who would only have a few seconds of screen time, just so he could tell Gandalf to get moving.

I suspect there will be more Witch-King in the Extended DVD. In the book he and Gandalf have a cool confrontation at the first gate of Minas Tirith.

Archived