Home

ROTK Thread [Possible and likely Spoilers]

Darth Homer

Saw it twice, very good movie. What's keeping it from being one of my all-time favorites/best movie ever/biggest orgasm is that I already knew how it was going to end and wasn't all that concerned about the characters. I'm pretty sure it would have been a lot cooler for me if I never read the books, but that's not how it happened. That, and the fact that I just generally prefer science fiction over fantasy keeps Star Wars over the LOTR movies.....or at least the OT over LOTR. However, I will say that when it comes to the creators, it should be Tolkien>Lucas>Jackson.

Not showing Denethor's palantir kinda pissed me off, but I could have lived with him if it wasn't for his RIDICULOUS BUNGEE JUMP OF SUICIDE when he's supposed to be burned alive on the pyre! This wasn't just a matter of the movie contradicting the book, but it was just the sheer outrageous way they changed it.

I was also disappointed that there was no Gandalf-Witch King confrontation. When the orc commander asks, "What of the white wizard?" and the Witch King replies "I will break him," you kinda get the feeling that they're gonna have a fight, but....er....I guess not.....

The whole thing with Aragorn and the Army of the Dead hopping out of the Corsairs really surprised me, since that scene kind of confused me in the book. When Aragorn appeared in the book, I was like, Oh yay! Aragorn found some ships of his own! But they're still gonna have to watch out for the pirates. :o There was cheering at many parts in the movie, which is something I don't encounter too often, and this was one of the parts that I had to agree with (but I didn't clap).

Overall, cool movie, I just prefer sci-fi and lasers over fantasy.

Edit: I almost forgot, the left out the scene where the Nazgul evaporate. That disappointed me as well. ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Redwing

3) Eowyn with girl power! :D

*Imagines Redwing removing his helmet, with his long, flowing golden locks of hair dancing in the wind, whilst he says in a confident and victorious voice: "I am no man!"*

Originally posted by Billy Shears

I almost forgot, the left out the scene where the Nazgul evaporate. That disappointed me as well. ;)

"'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord kin. Begone , if you be not deathless! For no living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him.'

The winged creature screamed at her, but the Ringwraith made no answer, and was sighlent, as if in sudden doubt. Very amazement for a moment conquered Merry's fear. He opened his eyes and the blackness was lifted from them. There some paces from him sat the great beast, and shadow of despair. A little to the left facing them stood she whom he had called Durnhelm. But the helm of her secrecy had fallen from her, and her bright hair, realesed from it's bounds, gleamed with pale gold upon her shoulders. Her eyes grey as the sea were hard and fell, yet tears were on her cheeck. A sword was in her hand, and she raised her shield against the horror of her enemy's eyes.

Eowyn it was, and Durnhelm also. For into Merry's mind flashed the memory of the face that he saw at the riding from Dunharrow: the face of one that goes seeking death, having no hope . Pity filled his heart and great wonder, and suddenly the slow-kindled courage of his race awoke. He clenced his hand. She should not die, so fair, so desprate! At least she should not die alone, unaided.

The face of their enemy was not turned towards him, but still he hardly dared to move, dreading lest the deadly eyes should fall on him. Slowly, slowly he began to crawl aside; but the Black Captain, in doubt and malice intent upon the woman before him, heeded him no more than a worm in the mud. Suddenly, the great beast beat his hideous wings, and the wind of them was foul. Again it leaped into the air, and then swiftly fell down upod Eowyn, shrieking, striking with beak and claw.

Still she did not blench: maiden of the Rohirrim, child of kings, slender but as a steel-blade, fair yet terrible. A swift stroke she dealt, skilled and deadly. The outstreched neck she clove asunder, and the hewn head fell like a stone. Backward she sprang backward as the huge shape crashed to ruin, vast wings outspread, crumpled on the earth; and with it's fall the shadow passed away. A light fell about her, and her hair shone in the sunrise.

Out of the wreck rose the Black Rider, tall and threatening, towering above her. With a cry of hatred that stung the very ears like venom he let fall his mace. Her shield was shivered in many pieces, and her arm was broken; she stumbled to her knees. He bent over her like a cloud and his eyes glittered; he raised his mace to kill.

But suddenly he too stumbled forward with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went aside, driving into the ground. Merry's sword had stabbeed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk had pierced the sinew behind his mighty knee.

'Eowyn! Eowyn!' cried Merry. Then tottering, struggling up, with her last strength she drove her sword between crown and mantle, as the great shoulders bowed before her. The broke sparkling into many shards. The crown rolled away with a clang. Eowyn fell forward upon her fallen foe. But lo! the mantle and hauberk were empty. Shapeless they lay now on the ground, torn and tumbled; A cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed, and was never heard again in that age of this world."

Does THAT "disappoint" you?!

Quick lesson in English: in "the Nazgul evaporate" Nazgul is plural. If I meant singular, it would have been "the Nazgul evaporates." Just to clear that up. ;)

The thing that I was talking about that was missing was:

"And into the heart of the storm, with a cry that pierced all other sounds, tearing the clouds asunder, the Nazgul came, shooting like flaming bolts, as caught in the fiery ruin of hill and sky they crackled, withered, and went out."

I think they showed one of them getting hit by some of Mount Doom's explosion debris, but that still leaves 7 left. :p

Originally posted by Redwing

Since I haven't got to the RotK book (barely finished the first chapter of FotR) yet, all this whining about how it wasn't exactly like in the book is kinda baffling to me. :D

What's baffling to me is that you label some of the arguments here as "whining" when you haven't read the books yet, since this is what the argument is about.

My point is simple; the book made me go through a real rollercoaster of emotions, whereas the movies (while still great) did not.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Billy Shears

I think they showed one of them getting hit by some of Mount Doom's explosion debris, but that still leaves 7 left. :p

I always assumed the got f'd when going towards mount doom... BUT you could assume a couple of things.

1. When the ring was destroyed, they died also.

2. When the ring was destroyed, most of the orcs and creatures dominated by Sauron's spirit basically went nuts ans started killing themselves. Maybe this happened to them as well.

3. How do we know any of the army of the men of the west didn't kill them?

I always assumed it was a combo of 1 and 2.

Originally posted by pbguy1211

I always assumed the got f'd when going towards mount doom... BUT you could assume a couple of things.

1. When the ring was destroyed, they died also.

2. When the ring was destroyed, most of the orcs and creatures dominated by Sauron's spirit basically went nuts ans started killing themselves. Maybe this happened to them as well.

3. How do we know any of the army of the men of the west didn't kill them?

I always assumed it was a combo of 1 and 2.

Here's a quote from the Encyclopedia of Arda regarding the destruction of the One Ring:

"Ultimately, the Ring was destroyed in the place where Sauron had forged it nearly five thousand years earlier. With that, the remaining Rings of Power, including even the Elves' Three Rings, lost the power they had held."

Since it was the seven Rings of men that bound the Nazgul to our world, it can be safely assumed that they were finally freed of the Wraith-world when the One Ring was destroyed...

Originally posted by Eets

*Imagines Redwing removing his helmet, with his long, flowing golden locks of hair dancing in the wind, whilst he says in a confident and victorious voice: "I am no man!"*

You BITCH. :D

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

What's baffling to me is that you label some of the arguments here as "whining" when you haven't read the books yet, since this is what the argument is about.

My point is simple; the book made me go through a real rollercoaster of emotions, whereas the movies (while still great) did not.

Well, they ARE whining, whether it's justifiable or not. Notice I was whining too - it's our right! :p;) I was just commenting on the baffling-ness. Since I don't see how the movie would've been BETTER if those things had been truer to the book.

And for the most part - I haven't found the books to be better than the movies, only just as good. ^.^ I get the feeling I may have derailed off the emotional rollercoaster in some places in the books, because the same scenes already have their place in my emotional memory as they were in the movie. Like Gandalf falling into shadow - I cry every time I see that in the movie, but I didn't feel much when it happened in the book...

The only exception is Sam taking the Ring from "dead" Frodo to carry on by himself after the encounter with Shelob, which I found very emotional in the book but was much less so in the movie (as we didn't even get to see the Ring-taking... ^^;)

Oh, and I do like Faramir better without him being tempted by the Ring. *Shrug* But that's TTT-stuff.

I do know (iirc - hehe) that Gandalf vs Witch King was filmed, and for sure that Aragorn and Gimli vs Nasty Orc Leader was filmed as well. Extended DVD fodder, I 'spect ^^

Archived