Home

SP modifications (HOW?!)

MasterSidious

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

You can replace models, make new maps and replace other things, but you can't, for example, change the weapon or forcepower behavior, because that requires new coding, which isn't accepted because the SDK hasn't (and won't) be released... like it is for MP.

Which SP mods are you referring to?

Take the chaos force mod for example, it revamps atleast 80% of the game for SP. You start the game as a dark Jedi, you face new npcs with new behavior, and theres tons of new animations and melee combat, and on lucas files theres a MOD that some body made that has to manually be installed that adds new light saber blocks and melee attacks like being able to block and dodge with arms and back hands and spin kickes with sabers ect. seen here .http://lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=885 . It says it can be used also in SP cut scenes so I'd assume it works in SP. And there are lots of others. Another MOD that would probably require a little bit of new coding is the dual pistol NPC MOD. I have one question though, how come Raven never released SP SDK?

Yeah but is it really a "MODIFICATION" or does it just give you new content within the same parameters as the Single player game?

That is, does it actually change the behavior of weapons or force powers to something not already present in the single player game? Visual changes could always be done, I'm not talking about that. The SDK is necessary to make code changes, which make adding few features and changing core features possible.

The melee attacks can be enabled by using the cheat code "iknowkungfu" it's not anything new to let you do that. Two new sets of lightsaber moves can be used (Tavion & Desann's) also via a cheat code (there's actually a new third set of moves, but it's just the Staff stance with a single bladed lightsaber). Dodging I'm not sure about, but it is part of the game for certain things (auto dodge for disruptor shots).

There is an NPC that uses dual pistols that can normally only be unlocked via cheats, IIRC.

Apparently the reason Raven never did so is that LucasArts has this weird liscensing deal (a hold over from earlier, more paranoid times), that tries to keep tight control over the "star wars property" such that they are very reluctant to give fans the ability to "create their own stories." Back in the day this was very strict (and to us rather silly), such that X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter planned to have dedicated servers, but had to scrap them at the last minute because LucasArts felt this would violate the agreement and make it so fans could "contradict the Star Wars universe" somehow by arranging their own scenarios.

This same bit of stuff made it such that Kyle Katarn had to be given a "canonical" lightsaber color in single player mode with Jedi Knight II (because Lucas had just announced that "good guys have green or blue lightsabers except Mace Windu who has purple and bad guys have red lightsaber"). Kyle had to thus have purple, blue or green. But since he'd already had green in the first game, and Mara had purple when you played as her in Mysteries of the Sith, the only "New color" left was blue, so they just gave him a blue one and pretended he'd had this color "all along." Likewise they gave all the bad guys red blades, even though in previous games they had had a mixture of colors (before Lucas made his announcement).

This may also have had something to do with the fact that in Jedi Knight II (and JA) suddenly lightsabers would turn off in water, because of a deleted scene (that was never filmed but appeared in the novel and screenplay) from Episode I where Obi-Wan's lightsaber gets wet and "fizzles out" until he can "clean it." Even though in previous JK games lightsabers had worked in water (and in the EU they had been shown to work underwater). They work underwater again now in the EU and there's some evidence for them working in water in the later prequels, but oh well...

So, I think the short story is that LucasArts is still holding onto the idea that single player is "more sacred territory" so they don't want to give gamers as much freedom to tinker with it, for fear that they will somehow damage the integrity of the Star Wars universe, but since multiplayer has no storyline and "everybody knows" it's just people killing each other and capturing flags for points, that there's no harm in letting people have free reign.

Even though Leeland Chee deals with resolving canon "issues" it is still felt that the video games (at least the single player storylines and characters) are part of the continuity for the most part. I guess they might be afraid that if people modify SP too much they'll get confused as to what is canon and what is not.

I know, it sounds silly, but this is what I've picked up over the years from them.

If people are changing code in JK2/JA SP, they would just be changing the scripting, not anything major, unless they somehow figured a way to reverse engineer the code, which would probably be considered illegal and shut down if LA ever found out.

I wish they would release the SP SDK as well, but it seems they have no plans to do so. It's been almost four years since JK2 came out, still nothing. :(

Dude I knoww about the iknowkungfu cheat. Isnt it kinda ovbiouse in my screen name? The chaos force mod gives you new attacks, a new melee system, and an enhanced all around fighting system. It ADDS and or replaces almost all of the combat moves I'm assuming.. And about the other mod on lucas files that has to be installed manually. Even if it mods the game within the parameters of SP, it ADDS a new melee blocks, a back hand move with sabers and a few others. And about the melee system with the cheats and all, usually whenever I start the game I spawn a few grans and beat them up with my bear hands lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Interesting. So you took the SP .dlls and made them compatible with MP for OJP or something like that? Wow, so you had the SP code right infront of you so you could've edited it and then ported it back to the SP engine if you wanted in theory?

It's only the source code files for NPC code in SP. It's not compilible by itself so we have to manually port the code into MP to get it to work. Tinny and I have slowly been porting the AI for the individual NPC classes into MP.

Archived