Home

Enhanced WIP: Saber System

razorace

O by the way, when I asked people what they wanted, they told me that they wanted something good enough that it could be popular, so that they could play it with other people. They want it to be good. Point blanc. Razor asked me to post both my ideas and theirs, that was one of theirs, dont be mad at me cause you future audience wants something that will want them to be your future audience... LOL wow you guys are funny.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, guys, let's not get defensive here, we're all here to make the mod better, even if our opinions differ.

Yes, I did ask Gota to post here instead of MSNing everything to me. I'd prefer to have a group discussion instead of something solo. Plus, I've been damn busy lately trying to juggle my two current jobs and do OJP stuff at the same time. That's a lot of plates to spin, so I can't really afford to be distracted by Gota's suggestioning in real time.

Secondly, we are doing this for fun and for ourselves. If I wanted to be popular, I'd mod for Battlefield or Half-Life or create JKA^3, the admin mod to kill all other admin mods by not sucking. That being said, I would like to have people play and enjoy our mod, simply because the more the merrier.

As such, what do you mean by flare? Are you like talking better graphics/maps or like high profile game additions like bots that can play siege or ledge grab?

And, finally, Gota, please try to keep your comments more on topic instead of jumping off onto tangents, you literally took two posts to even get to your suggestions.

lol, what i meant by flare wasnt making graphics better, i meant stuff like ledge grabbing, the new bots etc.

The main reason i wanted more people to play is cause itd be fun to play ojp with a lot of people all the time, rather than a few people some of the time.

From what I gathered, people wouldnt mind playing it as long as they had a good reason to do so, basically what they said is that if you can make sabering better everyone would at least try the mod once. They just wanted that first time to hook them. Having something better is what we all want, I'm not saying that the creators should bend to everyone's will and compromise what they want, but I do think that they should get input from more people so that they can have a few new views. What you want is what they want, they just want you to give it to them.

Razor fixed the collision checks, that alone is something that EVERYONE wants, force dodge is something else that EVERYONE wants, they just want it controllable so that some skill to some degree is behind using it.

The product is there, the public just wants to help make it better.

Again I did mention the compulsive disorder I think I have, lol (when i get focused on something and serious about it, I go ALL OUT)

Anyways enough of that, lets get back to the suggestions, someone told me about a game called die by the sword (i think) and said the control was better, does anyone know what that was and if it is possible.

O and razor what was your mouse sabering idea again, sounded pretty good but dont remember details.

Originally posted by Gotaiken

Anyways enough of that, lets get back to the suggestions, someone told me about a game called die by the sword (i think) and said the control was better, does anyone know what that was and if it is possible.

O and razor what was your mouse sabering idea again, sounded pretty good but dont remember details.

Trust me, I played Die by the Sword and while it technically gave you more control, the control system was so sloppy that you lost more than you gained.

As for mouse sabering, I've explained it multiple times. Use the forum search feature to something on it. You could also try searching the Masters of the Force forums as well.

Razor fixed the collision checks, that alone is something that EVERYONE wants, force dodge is something else that EVERYONE wants, they just want it controllable so that some skill to some degree is behind using it.

Beyond whining about it and/or suggesting that it be made a button (which is so impractical that I'm not even going to talk about it), I've yet to here any suggestions on how to fix it.

You shouldnt be judging dodge if its a free escape that you dont have to worry about applying, unless its skillfully used it should just be a "thank god, i thought i was screwed" sort of thing.

And by slowed down i mean the bar, the dodge bar should regenerate slower, but we can do that already.

I don't think you understood what I meant. The idea is that dodge should be a constant measure of how much flak you can take before you die.

With the direct damage to dodge system, I felt that wasn't the case. In addition, it was not realistic since, while a missile does a lot of damage, the difficult to dodge (at least a direct hit) is probably about the same as dodging a speeding saber.

well i just got finished play MB2 for the first time, and i got some ideas.

How about you use that defensive offensive mode they implemented.

You hold down block and you go to walking speed, defense goes up, etc etc.

Also you could use the stamina bar as well as the dodge bar, or one or the other, instead of having force go down when you attack, it takes from stamina. Only when your in block mode can you get to dodge, and each dodge costs half the bar.

I've been a big fan of Mtof in the JO days, but I haven't gotten the chance to tried out any of the OJP stuff yet, so i aplogize if this seems like a stupid question....

since the movment of the upper body is affected by mouse look, the angle, height and position of the attack will come out differently as well, now from what i've read about the saber blocking system, the blocking/parrying animation is based on the type of attack, eg left swing, digianol swing etc right? so wouldn't it look strange if some one is doing a side swing while looking down and the other person is blocking by holding his/her saber to the left/right side but absolutly misses?

Actually this is the system used by KotOR, but unfortunately, it just won't work unless you lock the player position. Which is somewhere I don't think we should go.

wouldn't it be better if you do lock the player position??

Sabering system

Saber control Method

Offense

Normal attack

How to do? = tap attack

What Happens = you attack normally

Combo

How to do? = hold attack along with the proper directional keys

What Happens = you combo

Stop Attack

How to do? = tap attack during an attack

What Happens = you stop the attack

Turn attack

How to do? = Hold the action button (like it is now)

What Happens = you turn from your attack by pivoting into another attack

Defense

Block

How to do? = hold the alt attack button

What Happens = you hold out your saber trying to block incoming attacks, by determining skill, how far away the saber is in relation with your body, speed at which your moving forward as a negative, speed at which you move back as a positive, crouching is a negative, walking is a positive, running is a negative (though running back is a positive), jumping is a slight negative

Dodge

How to do? = if you didn’t get the block even though you tried you have a chance to dodge, based on skill and whether or not you have the dodge to do the dodge. The dodge payment is a 4th of the damage.

Manual Defense Counter

How to do? = After a blocking animation the ability to attack presents itself, simply tap attack after a block

What Happens = you attack out of the blocking animation (gotta enable the ability to do all attacks out of any blocking animation)

Archived