Home

5 hard long years.

GUNNER

Is GUNNER the friggin man or what?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is GUNNER the friggin man or what?

• 5 years? You bet your ass he is.
    • Nope, just some chump with no life.

Well I thought it was a good time to go ahead and throw my name into the circle as well as the time I joined was in early December so many years ago. ;)

Boy have things changed a ton since then. I came here for some help on a mission and instantly felt welcomed. It was my first BB I had ever joined and I was a total newb.

They was only a small group of us but there was never a lack of threads about the game or SW in general to post in. The people were great, as they are now, and every one was willing to lend a hand. I would spend all night at work here just reading posts and chatting with friends. There was no LAF back then to roam around to. Just RS.Net

It was not to long after though that XWA came out and we all made our way over there. We then formed our own little group of pilots, the RAL. We even had our own forums which Keyan Farlander made for us. We then started to get together on Friday nights and play on-line with each other. Boy was that a hoot. :cool:

Soon it wasn't long before XWA was booming and RS was starting to fade

Even in early 99 there was still no LAF and me and Ike were king shiatz at XWA, and he still is king shiatz. ;)

I don't remember quite when it happened but then the joining of all the lucas forums came together and it was a mad free for all. I wasn't thrilled about some of the out siders and the leadership changes and I started to find other intrests out side of my little home away from home.

I have met a ton of people here over the years and had many a great time.

I have even had 2 kids while I have been here. :D

I might add, I have even made at least "one" enemy here as well.:(

It just seems that now I have found other "homes" as well as here. I got in to computers and found this other game called Half-Life/Counter-Strike which pulled me in. I'm sure I could have well over 20K or more posts if I would of kept up at my usual pace but it just seems now that I have a hard time finding anything to talk about or a post that really peaks my intrest.

I can honestly say that with all the thousands of threads at the different LA forums I can usually only find a few that even make me want to read them. Maybe I'm just getting to old and don't understand the 10-16 year old age group or maybe because I'm out of touch with all the different games now. I am not much of and RPGer and have always just played the old first person shooter games. I love all of the JK games and Dark Forces was the first FPS game I had. I still rememebr the bitch of a time I had on the "fuel depot level"? where you had to hit the switch to move the platform, get to the lift, then try to jump to the walk way before it moved back. I was there for hours..:D

Or on Aniot city? where you had to turn on all the switches to get all the way through, it seemed like I would get 3 of them and then always take a wrong turn and could never find the 4th one.

Boy was that a great game. Wonder how it would run on my 2.7 now? :rolleyes:

Anyways...Maybe I just don't "get it" and I don't understand todays youth ;) but one thing is for sure, I will always be a LAF member wether I can find something to post about or not.

Hell, maybe someday we can have a RS/XWA get together. Next year if things work out me and the wife would like to go to Greece and I plan on stopping by my good buddy Fondas's place.

You all know Fondas right? :)

So thanks one and all for some great memories and fun times through out the years.

It has truly be a very memorable time and I will never forget the fun we have shared together.

Jim "GUNNER" Smith December 1998-

Hey! Congrats my good man! Time flies, doesn't it?

It's been a pleasure having you around all this time... and here's a toast to many, many more days to come! (*Raises coffee mug... it is after all 7a.m. where I am as I type this.)

I don't remember the earliest days around here (since I'm kind of a late addition as far as these things go), but there have been some signifigant changes even in the short time I've been around,.. but not all bad.

I'm with you, buddy: Coming here occasionally makes me feel my age... but sometimes it also makes me feel young again, too.

Cheers again on five years well wasted! After all, what else could you have done with all that time,.. eh? ;)

He said hard....and long... *Beavis and Butthead laughter*

Sorry, couldn't help myself with that.

This place has changed a lot since I've been here too, despite the fact that I haven't been here nearly as long as yourself. And I agree with the hard to find topics to post to thing, it is hard, so many worthless posts.

And that's all I have to say about that.

*pats Gunner on the back*

I joined RS.Net probably very shortly after the ol' Sea Dog, and have seen the forums change as Gunner has. It's been a crazy past 5 years, i'll tell ya'll that. Let's hear for five more*!

*Five more implies five more years wasted infront of the computer screen wasting away here at Lucasforums.

It was around this time 5 years ago that I moved in here too, and the gun-dog and I made the jump to XWA around the same time too... I still remember ribbing Guilo about his "Navy habits", and all the good times with the Stallions, and Gunner, Lord Lynn (he wasn't "Master" yet), and myself doin' the g-string dances on-stage.

I still look back fondly on the RAL days, and who can forget the Seti@Home campaign... But I agree completely with G-Daddy about the global lack of topics on LAF, but I'll always check in from time to time.

Vive la resistance, and stallions for life.

Originally posted by Redwing It's almost three years for me now...this site was my very first Internet forum too, and I still haven't found a better (or worse-! ;)) one.

Impossible! I've only been here 2 years and you registered a month after me! unless it was a mess up or a name change.

Originally posted by Nitro

I still remember ribbing Guilo about his "Navy habits"

*(Stamps NAVY on Nitro's forehead, backwards.)*

:p

It has been awhile, eh? ;) I first wandered into RS.Net searching for cheat codes (yes, I said CHEAT codes...behold my shame) and found a fun online community thriving there. Before too long I discovered JK.Net and XWA. When the forums merged, I didn't see it as a bad thing.

The free-for-all can be a drag at times. That's where loyal starfighter pilots willing to defend the sky come in, IMHO... :) It can be hard for us old dawgs to connect up with what you kids are saying. Frankly, if I see leet speak or binary on the boards, my mind just goes 'yadda-yadda' as I scan past it. :dozey: I'm also quite tired of the Matrix. Really.

Still, the current Lucasarts galaxy is a diverse creation, and I've met many more different whack-os here online than I did in the old days. With so many minds to meet, who could ever stay away? :D

Originally posted by Kjølen

Impossible! I've only been here 2 years and you registered a month after me! unless it was a mess up or a name change.

Steve, u reged in Dec 2001, while he Reged in Jan 2001.

He, in the beginning of the year : You end of the year.

Uhm, its been a year and a half for me. Uhm, congrats GUNNER. Your probably the oldest member here (reg wise that is)

Thanks everyone, it's great to be a part of a great community. And to be one of the first in a great forum like RS.Net and XWA.

Like every Christmas work shuts down for the holidays and I don't come back till the 5th so I will be here a little less then usual but I will be here at a more usual time then midnight to 6am. ;)

I actually beat the old Gunner here to RS.Net, but the scallywag made the jump to XWA a full three days before I did... Once the forums merged, I went with my XWA account, and he, as we can see, went to the RS one.

But this calls for a drink! *reaches into his coat and retrieves a bottle of Mr. Morgan's Spiced*

To five long years, and the many more to follow!

Archived