Home

Enhanced Idea: Custom Firearm Weapons

Marker0077

RA & I were discussing the possibility of setting up firearm weapons like the sabers are setup. Instead of there being .sab files there would be .gun files & that's where all the configs for each weapon would be stored. This would be various things like the .glm model to use, the skin to use (which is currently not even in JK3 for sabers but *should* be), the sounds, how fast each weapon fires, the damage it does, if it shoots out projectiles, etc; etc.

Currently, there are 8 different weapon classes (I think) & each class is for 1 weapon only. I *HATE* this, I don't think you should be allowed to be walking around with 8 different weapons at one time *EVER*. I think all the weapons should be removed from the existing classes & only a few classes should remain...

Class #1: Secondary

This is your sidearm like the blaster pistol.

If this does get implimented into AJK, this will also function as a dual blaster pistol button, you simply press this a second time to switch to a single blaster pistol (for better accuracy).

Class #2: Primary

This is your main weapon like a blaster rifle, a sniper rifle, etc; etc.

This can also be used for switching to any second type of firearm weapon. Again, simply press this a second to to switch the extra firearm weapon.

The carrying an extra weapon is optional via the server & would be defaulted to off for "Merc Only" battles but would be defaulted to on for "Jedi vs. Merc" mode (there will be a few different server presets in the mod).

Class #3 through #6(?): Items & Projectiles

I'm not exactly sure how the grenades, laser trip mines & all that other stuff should be broken up. I was thinking that you could assign 2 per class this way you could hit whatever class button a second time to get to the second item like the pistol/dual pistol is setup.

I don't know about OJP but what I have in mind with AJK (regardless of whether or not the custom weapons are implimented or not) is if a team gametype is enabled, you can choose your weapons via the player profile menus. There would be a "Firearm Weapons" logo button added to the existing player profile menus & when that is pressed, a different "Firearm Weapons" menu appears just like the existing "Sabers" menu.

If there is NOT a teamplay gametype on the server, then that menu is disabled & you have to pickup the weapons on the map (unless Jedi vs. Merc is enabled, then Jedi's get their weapons on startup so the Mercs should as well). You would also make the mod put weapons in random places, so regardless of what firearm weapon (or item) is set to on the map, the mod will put a random weapon in each area.

By default, people can use lightsabers, force powers, firearm weapons, the other items & whatnot like the heros of the original SW trilogy do, however, if "Jedi vs. Merc" is enabled, then Jedi/Sith can only use force powers & lightsabers, & Mercs can only use firearm weapons.

At this point in time, RA has no plans in doing this & once AJK is started, this is not going to be a high priority for me either (the custom weapons implimentation part, not those last 3 paragraphs). I think that perhaps it should because the flexibility in all of this is a big bonus. I guess you could say we are looking for coders to code this.

That's an interesting idea. It would definitely make editing/making new weapons easier. :D

Another thing I would like is that if the weapon I'm currently weilding doesn't require two hands (ie disruptor, merr-sonn, etc), it would let you have two of them. Perhaps make having two give the player an accuracy hit to make it more balanced. Playing Forcemod 2 in JO with dual pistols was just awesome. Turning on timescale made it sweet. I wish I could have used dual E-11s though... :(

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

Another thing I would like is that if the weapon I'm currently weilding doesn't require two hands (ie disruptor, merr-sonn, etc), it would let you have two of them.

Weapons like the dual pistols are not done so dynamically. In other words, it may appear that you have a pistol in each hand but the reality is it's just 1 weapon that looks like 2.

You can do this with whatever weapons you like, however, you have to model them & get them in-game.

There is a bit more coding done with the pistols because when someone dies (and is carrying a pistol) they drop their pistol (along with their other weapons), so you can pick it/them up & voila, you have dual pistols; So if there are to be a variety of pistols, then them being dynamic would make things ALOT easier but we'll just have to make do with what we've got. Again, there are no plans to impliment this custom weapon system into OJP or AJK, I just thought it was a good idea & should throw it out there.

Perhaps make having two give the player an accuracy hit to make it more balanced.

Currently in mind with a single pistol is the primary attack fires semi automatically & the secondary fires automatically. The difference between them is the semi auto is slower & more accurate, the other is faster & less accurate.

The same concept applies to the dual pistols. Both fires in an automatic fashion; The primary fires a bit slower but is more accurate & secondary is faster & less accurate (which is good for closer targets).

Another thing to consider is the special items that have yet to be added. There is the laser sight which makes some weapons such as the single pistol more accurate, there is the stealth slippers which makes it so people can not here you running, there is a kevlar vest which prevents you from bleeding (lasers do not cause bleeding since they self cauterize, so bleeding will be optional) & stops most of the damage from chest hits (there is no % with this, if you have it it works), there is a silencer which can silence a variety of weapons, etc; etc.

You can have 1 item & 1 weapon in "Merc vs. Merc" mode but 2 of each when it's "Jedi vs. Merc" & the Jedi have full force. Again, these are just .cfg presets, each feature can be manually disabled/enabled. At least that's the gameplan so far.

Playing Forcemod 2 in JO with dual pistols was just awesome. Turning on timescale made it sweet. I wish I could have used dual E-11s though...

I'm not a fan of changing the speeds so don't expect to see that in AJK, not without a server CVar that is stored in a "sets" like alias so players can filter those types of servers out.

Currently, there are 8 different weapon classes (I think) & each class is for 1 weapon only. I *HATE* this, I don't think you should be allowed to be walking around with 8 different weapons at one time *EVER*. I think all the weapons should be removed from the existing classes & only a few classes should remain...

I totally agree, and this is exactly the kind of thing I am planning for MB II.

I'm busy with other stuff at the moment, but once I get round to implemnting that kind of stuff, I'll decide whether I have the time to make it in a customisable enough fashion for the OJP as well...

I'm sure there's a way to do what you're suggesting, but I'm not clear as to what it is that's being suggested.

Weapon classes? There's 19 weapons (technically), with a define of MAX_WEAPONS 19 in q_shared.h.

There's ways around it, but I'm hung up on the 'classes' - what 8 classes? Is this some Seige Mode stuff?

;) Nice job. I think those ideas are GREAT..I mean..wtf is with being able to run with 10 weapons when all you see is 1 and your still fast as normal,and again with sight,where the hell are you hiding your weapons,it appears that they are stuffing them in their pants!Still id have that as a toggle-able cvar....even though many ppl including me prefer that system.

Why not possibally add holsters?It'd be alot more realistic and add more fun to the game...also,it just be really super l33t.

Nice ideas Dudes...I love OJP mod already with the special menu and dismemberment and ive also seen many other great ideas!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK M8'S!!!:deathstar

Archived