Home

A fading hate for jk3files server

theguyincorner

Well, let me start by saying I hated servers like jk3files with honour and such. That is why I have always played on chop shop exclusivly. I used to go to jk3files and end up standing around while people talked. And when it was actual ffa it was just repeated spam moves. Mind you I obeyed all the rules because I know everyone has there thing they like. Ok ok! on to why I had a change of heart this evening... well morning. You see I went there again for no good reason (probobly just looking for something to whine about) but what I found was people dueling on that bonus 1 map thats the gas mines. And MAN that was fun! I can now see how people would do that all day. So I guess I will be frequenting there more often. And I suggest to anyone else who hated it as much as me to just give it another chance. So I will be there much more often, though I will always stay loyal to chop shop ;-)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by theguyincorner

Well, let me start by saying I hated servers like jk3files with honour and such.

:cry6:

but what I found was people dueling on that bonus 1 map thats the gas mines. And MAN that was fun! I can now see how people would do that all day. So I guess I will be frequenting there more often. And I suggest to anyone else who hated it as much as me to just give it another chance. So I will be there much more often

Yay!!!!! :bounce1:

Well, I've been with the community since JK1, ie: nearly 6 years. I gave up on "honor" back in 1998.

We had an excuse back then, because the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith games simply weren't setup to allow a one on one saber duel with no interferance. I got bored of dueling then and focused on the other gametypes, using all force powers and all weapons.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, even wholly apart from admin mods, are fully capable of supporting one on one duels with no interferance and level playing field.

Thus honor codes become extraneous data that gets in the way, by attempting to turn all gametypes into a duel.

See, it's fine when you're first starting out and don't know the game. The learning curve for the Jedi Knight series is frustrating and often intimidating for new players. Thus by limiting themselves to only a few moves and very strict conditions, it can allow them to practice and get better without breaking their pride down too much.

But, once you get to a certain point you have one of two choices

1) Move on and continue to learn the rest of the game (ie: Full Force, all weapons)

or

2) Stay in gameplay limbo, let your skills stagnate as you only play saber to saber using "honor codes."

So do you stop learning and allow yourself to stagnate, or do you continue on, while taking off the "training wheels" (honor code) and reach new heights of skill and knowledge of the game?

As a tool to start learning, the honor code might have a use, but the fact is that many players take this and apply it as a philosophy of the game itself, and apply it to everyone and every server.

This simply limits their own potential as players and it limits everyone else to 1% of the multiplayer component of the game.

It's like playing "catch" vs. playing the sport of football.

Some people link the idea of "dueling" with "honor." I think this is a false connection. The concept of dueling can exist apart from honor and be quite fun.

I think that the honor codes, if they have any use, are merely a beginning of learning, not the end of it.

That is why I am against them, because their adherents apply option #2, which not only limits their enjoyment of the game, but limits the enjoyment of everyone else.

And it shortens the life of the community overall. People get bored and move on to other games, when the series has a lot more to offer than one on one dueling, especially a dueling atmosphere as limited as that with honor codes.

Honor duels can be "fun" but for veterans of the games (who've seen what's possible), there's just so much more that can be offered, that it feels limited and boring.

The thing is all I've done since I got mad about jk2 honour was play as hard and competitive as I can on all game types. It was interesting to return to the thing I hate and somehow enjoy it. I think it's nice to have servers like this where you can have a diffrent kind of fun. I just thought I'd share how I finaly saw it from the other perspective. Also I prefer dueling in ffa on an honour server to an actual duel server, because you can jump around and have a jolly ol time instead of sitting as a spectator. Up untill now I had only seen the bad that comes from these types of servers. So I think for me atleast a server like that can be a welcome break from the frustration of playing ultra competitive everytime I connect to a server.

Yeah I saw you too crow nest :D

I used to lame like heck, I went on the [DJC] server and owned everybody in there until I got banned. Permanently.

But now I've learned every move, every tactic and so on so I just use the honor code. I hate getting banned from servers! :o

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

yeah, gas mine is fun. :cool: Push people off.

Btw, saw you in the server just now. :)

that map is the best map for fragfests if you disable push and pull, i've had 2 sleepless nights with the gas map behind my back believe me that map rocks. Excellent for duelling and weapons, you just need to disable push and pull

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

that map is the best map for fragfests if you disable push and pull, i've had 2 sleepless nights with the gas map behind my back believe me that map rocks. Excellent for duelling and weapons, you just need to disable push and pull

Nah, I like pushing people off.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Me, I was kicked only once (in all the games I've played) and that was when I was killing this clan's top saberists... weird..

Heh, those 10 year old admins, im not surprise. Happend to almost everyone. But not me :p

i played on this server, mainly to test my ping because i was thinking of renting a server from the same providers, and i was playing, had lots of fun, i was playing and not chating, and i thought it was great because no1 was crying lamer all the time, then i noticed i had public chat disabled so i could only hear team chats in team games, but i still didnt hear any abuse or whining, i had fun

Yeah i hate jk3files too.

When i first played there i got kicked/baned for ****** everybodys ass, and those **** of tmbj began baning my ips just because they saw me in. Some *** even took pics of me laming him and sent it to shroomduck and he baned me. But now is even worst, cause they have those admin *** comands (sleep, slap, silence).

[ Edit: Please refrain from flames to get your point across. ]

Three days ago, in shroomsdeathstar, one of the regular players there autoproclamated owner of the machine that spawns troopers. when i try to use it, he atempted to kill me, so i **** his ass. Then 2 other noobs around there saw that and tryed to kill me, so i killed them both. They yelled lamer lamer, and after that the whole map hated me and started chasing me. It was a bunch of noobs using drain, grip and pull against me, i killed some, but then someone griped me without force and some other one kated me. I switched to lightside and pwned them all. Then some *** of TMBJ joined the game, they said i was a lamer and told him to ban me, and he did. SOOOOOOOOO GAYYYYYYYYYY

Yesterday i went there under a diferent name and flawlessled the ****ing shroomduck in a duel, then i show him my name, and quited before he could kick/ban me. =P

[ Edit: Consider yourself warned, refrain from insulting people and calling them names. Disagree all you want, but remember that this board has rules. You can make your point without resulting to personal insults and slurs. ]

I play only on Chop shop. No honor, no annoying move spammers, no lag (for me). I once played on the JK3 files server, but I got kicked for rolling and stabbing some looser who was taunting. But, the looser was the admin. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kurgan

See, it's fine when you're first starting out and don't know the game. The learning curve for the Jedi Knight series is frustrating and often intimidating for new players.

I just play through the single player in jedi master difficulty, no cheats. That trains you up well for multiplayer. I guess the honor people are the type who play through SP with cheats and hacks, before going on to get annoyed when someone kills them because they forget they don't have god mode on.

I'm ordering a UK server on wednesday, it will run xmod2 and it will have no rules, it will be saber only - and i can only afford 10 slots for now, if the server is active i will pay more for 12 slots, but there will be a europian fun server comming soon. The only gameplay change i will enable is flipkick, the rest will be defaulted exept for g_forceregentime, that will be a bit faster, and the profanity filter will be enabled, hopfully it will be up soon.

Originally posted by Master William

Hmm, all the best servers are always american. I of course don't enter them because of the 120+ pings I get on them. Too bad, though. Makes it even harder to play with americans.

Master William, ping is not as important in regular FFA and CTF as it is in Dueling and Instagib (not saying it's not important, just not as important). I have regular players from Scandanavia, most Western and Central European countries, Australia, Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, South America, etc. who play with pings in the 200s all the time, and often do very well. In fact, one of the top players is from Finland and always has a ping in the 200s, but it doesn't stop him from owning people with much lower pings.

Even in Instagib, I have a regular player from Germany (female too BTW) who does very well (looking right now, her ping is 211).

Don't worry about ping so much, you're missing out on a lot of fun servers (not just mine, either).

AxVegeta, every post I've seen from you has been you bragging about things that are most likely not true. Why don't you make so demos of your "ownage" and prove all those things. I know none of your insults were at all directed towards me but I can't stand people who act like that.

Ditto. :D

Originally posted by AxVegetA

Everyone that hangsout there is a GAY noob.

A very..... Uncivilised comment.

Originally posted by AxVegeta

SOOOOOOOOO GAYYYYYYYYYY

That too.

Now, I don't mind others having different opinions, but those comments were extremely offensive.

Everyone that hangsout there is a GAY noob.

This offends me, and I'll be reporting you for that. Look at my sig.

When i first played there i got kicked/baned for raping everybodys ass, and those fags of tmbj began baning my ips just because they saw me in. Some fag even took pics of me laming him and sent it to shroomduck and he baned me. But now is even worst, cause they have those admin gay comands (sleep, slap, silence).

We don't allow laming there. Get used to it, you broke the rules, so you were banned. And no we do not have a slap command. Perhaps you should think before speaking.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

/rainbowtroutslap

:confused:

Originally posted by Excelsion

I once played on the JK3 files server, but I got kicked for rolling and stabbing some looser who was taunting. But, the looser was the admin. :rolleyes:

Umm... you would not have been kicked for that. You are one confused person.

Archived