Home

A fading hate for jk3files server

theguyincorner

Originally posted by Master William

no, you don't get it... 100+ ping = guns shoot slow, sometimes it looks like someone behind you is shooting when in fact I am.

Also, sabers hit me from quite some distance, totally annoying... you slice through people and nothing happens... and everything reacts slowly. still playable, but painful for me.

100+ ? are you stupid? most people have 80+ and i play with 400+ and i can shoot saber and kick just fine.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Master William

no, you don't get it... 100+ ping = guns shoot slow, sometimes it looks like someone behind you is shooting when in fact I am.

Also, sabers hit me from quite some distance, totally annoying... you slice through people and nothing happens... and everything reacts slowly. still playable, but painful for me.

You are right.....I don't get it . What you are saying makes no sense. I just took this screenshot:

241203-pings.jpg

Half of these players have pings over 100, including the person with the highest score. How are all these people able to play and score and have fun doing so if what you say is true? (BTW, Sinna and Jen are women).

The player with the ping of 222, The Orb, lives in Germany. His ping doesn't appear to be keeping him from scoring.

If you don't want to play on American servers, you don't have to make up crazy excuses. You're missing some good fun though:amidala:

Well to be honest, ping for me means a hell of a lot.

Sure I *can play, and yes I can play good, but I'm at about 50% of my ability if my ping goes over 60 (yes I'm that picky) or my FPS rate drops below 60.

When I played some European matches in Outcast I had to totally adjust my play style to compensate for the difference in latency.

What I could pull off on American servers simply could not be implemented effectively on German servers.

The one thing I will say about JK2/JA is the sabers and guns are not quite as "precise" as say shooting someone with a pistol in Wolfenstein so you can still play at an acceptable level with a higher ping.

Most of the guns are lob/splash damage types of weapons so obviously you will be leading your shots to begin with; a little adjustment for latency is all that is required.

Now try applying that to a game like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory where to gun efficiently, you have to aim at a tiny little box around the players skull and all of the weapons (bullet related) are pretty much "hit-scan" (pull trigger, it lands almost instantly).

Not as easy in that scenario.

But regardless, I have to totally agree with William on this one.

I was/am one of those players who studies game play mechanics almost fanatically, and I can and do see massive changes when I go from a 30 ping to a 150 ping.

Little things that may not seem obvious to casual players like, missing frames of animation.

When I play I am totally focused on my opponent’s player model and little things like missing the initial frame of animation from when my opponent throws a saber can and will totally screw up my game.

I base my defensive timing on visual clues like that and when they are not present due to a higher latency, for me it’s almost like “fighting blind”.

yeah. i'd have to say CS has the best netcode of any game to date.

i pretty much shoot and hit hits if i have under 300 ping.

and yeah UJ is correct about his ping/fps issues.

lets look at the SL vs kaoticz match for example. Now sl is a great bunch of stand up guys and is by far the hardest opponent we have faced thusfar.

Round 1: ffa_bonus2 (fortress). FPS was absolutely HORRID. Best i had was 40 while looking at the ground. there was no way for us to really get our strategy going so it was basically everyone vs everyone else. it even got so bad that i had to restart my game because i FPS lagged so bad and it locked up.

k_vs_sl_twl_x4v4.jpg

Now Round 2: ffa4 (rift sanctuary -- my favorite tdm map) FPS was at least 50-60 even with drain, lightning, sabers, energize, heal, absorb, and protect going. We could actively get our strategy into effect and had them into the negatives until we eased off after two of them left.

k_vs_sl_twl_x4v4_2.jpg

FPS makes much more of a difference (for me) than ping. (ofc i do best with under 330 in any game.)

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

Well to be honest, ping for me means a hell of a lot.

Sure I *can play, and yes I can play good, but I'm at about 50% of my ability if my ping goes over 60 (yes I'm that picky) or my FPS rate drops below 60.

When I played some European matches in Outcast I had to totally adjust my play style to compensate for the difference in latency.

What I could pull off on American servers simply could not be implemented effectively on German servers.

The one thing I will say about JK2/JA is the sabers and guns are not quite as "precise" as say shooting someone with a pistol in Wolfenstein so you can still play at an acceptable level with a higher ping.

Most of the guns are lob/splash damage types of weapons so obviously you will be leading your shots to begin with; a little adjustment for latency is all that is required.

But regardless, I have to totally agree with William on this one.

I was/am one of those players who studies game play mechanics almost fanatically, and I can and do see massive changes when I go from a 30 ping to a 150 ping.

Little things that may not seem obvious to casual players like, missing frames of animation.

When I play I am totally focused on my opponent’s player model and little things like missing the initial frame of animation from when my opponent throws a saber can and will totally screw up my game.

I base my defensive timing on visual clues like that and when they are not present due to a higher latency, for me it’s almost like “fighting blind”.

I agree that someone playing at your level would be sensitive to the effects of latency.

But Master William and 99% of the players out there including top players (I've seen their demos) like Rumor and plaz being hampered by ping >100? Somehow, I don't believe Master William is sensitive to ping the way you are, but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

I agree that someone playing at your level would be sensitive to the effects of latency.

But Master William and 99% of the players out there including top players (I've seen their demos) like Rumor and plaz being hampered by ping >100? Somehow, I don't believe Master William is sensitive to ping the way you are, but I could be wrong.

MW and I may not play alike or pay attention to the same things, but chances are he's a very picky player in general like me.

I sort of play by "rhythm" if that makes any sense, and I'm sure others are this way too.

It's sort of like how rumor is used to playing with a 300 ping, you sort of get a feel for things and when that rhythm is altered it throws you off.

For me I am sort of "spoiled" when it comes to lag/FPS.

I've got a solid connection & machine and the servers I play on are generally close to my home state so pings are usually in the 40 range.

To be honest, even if I was a newbie, I still think I would notice a huge difference in the way things responded when that 40 ping went up to say 100.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying people can’t effectively play with a high ping, I’ve seen many players who do.

It’s just for some of us “nitpicking” players, who are so used to a certain level of performance, adjusting to even a small amount of lag is very difficult and very frustrating.

Honestly, lower pings help but it is all in the skill of the player. Check out these links of my scores at Chop Shop that I got today. (CTF a while ago though).

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/CTFOwned.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/shot0003.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/shot0005.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/shot0006.jpg

Concluding from these results, the skill of the player is the major part of a player, not the ping.

EDIT: If html link doesn't work, copy the link and paste the link in a new browser window.

unnamed, that's what I mean. I'm used to how the gameplay is when you have a decent ping, I'm not used to waiting 1 or 2 seconds for the Force Push to actually push, nor shooting and waiting 1-2 second(s) to see it appear from nowhere or behind my back.

I don't care if some girl or guy has a high score with 999 ping, I can't play like that, simply. Everything just reacts so horribly slow, it's unplayable if I want to get serious.

(BTW, Sinna and Jen are women).

OMGZ!Z11111111111111!!!oneeleven

do u haev their phoen numbr???????

(no offense just a joke)

So anyway, I might be able to play with american players if I get T3 or some better connection, I think I am getting 2 mbit soon... If that is gonna help.

100+ ? are you stupid? most people have 80+ and i play with 400+ and i can shoot saber and kick just fine.

Hmm... I don't think I'm stupid, I'm doing fine at school. And I don't know the difference between our connections, you seem to be able to adapt to any sort of ping, but that doesn't go for me.

I don't like sabers hitting me when in fact they are not, I don't like sabers going through people without damaging them, and I don't like slow guns. The only game lag is enjoyable at is Counter-Strike, I owned a server with 500 ping on that.

Originally posted by Jedi Luke

Honestly, lower pings help but it is all in the skill of the player. Check out these links of my scores at Chop Shop that I got today. (CTF a while ago though).

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/CTFOwned.JPG

Concluding from these results, the skill of the player is the major part of a player, not the ping.

EDIT: If html link doesn't work, copy the link and paste the link in a new browser window.

Wow, good job with that CTF game. Your team beat a Red team 6-1 that had RED-5, ArizonaWithRaspberryFlavor (aka Brisk), Dash, and Gaiden Cortina, some of the best players on my server. Good game!

I'm going to post that screenie on their clan site and ask what the hell happened, LOL!

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

MW and I may not play alike or pay attention to the same things, but chances are he's a very picky player in general like me.

I sort of play by "rhythm" if that makes any sense, and I'm sure others are this way too.

It's sort of like how rumor is used to playing with a 300 ping, you sort of get a feel for things and when that rhythm is altered it throws you off.

For me I am sort of "spoiled" when it comes to lag/FPS.

I've got a solid connection & machine and the servers I play on are generally close to my home state so pings are usually in the 40 range.

To be honest, even if I was a newbie, I still think I would notice a huge difference in the way things responded when that 40 ping went up to say 100.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying people can’t effectively play with a high ping, I’ve seen many players who do.

It’s just for some of us “nitpicking” players, who are so used to a certain level of performance, adjusting to even a small amount of lag is very difficult and very frustrating.

actually now that i think about itwhen i go to my friends house and play cs on his cable when we have over 120 ping bullets dont seem to hit as well. weird **** cause i have no problems with 200+ at home.

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

No, see, you didn't "own" ShroomDuck, you chat-killed him. Chat-killing someone doesn't mean you "owned" him. So be quiet.

Hard to believe you killed him eight times because I only remember you killing him once in a CHAT-KILL and then for the rest of your time there you were in amsleep and amsilence. We were having some FUN with you!

Well you're the one who has to chat-kill people to score points. :roleyess:

Oh, yeah, and all the vulgar language only proves how low your intellegence is.

WTFFFFFFFFFFF, YOU FRIGING LIAR, i chat killed him once, the rest were one on ones, and 8 times. And yes, i chat kill when i ffa, but i wasnt ffaning there, i just wanted to beat the crap out of that f-ucking a-sshole.

The only fun you (g-a-y admin) have in this game is when you kick/ban people and when you use those pathetic admin comands such as sleep, silence and slap. The only reason you, and admins in general, play this game day after day is the cheap fun you get from the feeling of authority over the rest of players in your server. Your entire gameplay experience relies in enforcing some made up rules who almost everybody breaks every minute.

While i have fun killing you, playing the game, you have fun kick/baning me, typing letters in console.

Admins - admincomands = - admincomands

And PLEASE forgive my vulgar language sorreconchetumadre :)

About the lag/fps topic.

Lag always afects gameplay, in ffa, in ctf and in duel servers, people with lower pings can only take advantage when the diference of ping is big.

My ping is always around 200 and my fps sometimes 50 sometimes 130, and I only feel the warping when i get 300+ ping, and when my fps is below 30.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Wow, good job with that CTF game. Your team beat a Red team 6-1 that had RED-5, ArizonaWithRaspberryFlavor (aka Brisk), Dash, and Gaiden Cortina, some of the best players on my server. Good game!

I'm going to post that screenie on their clan site and ask what the hell happened, LOL!

Lol, sounds good Amidala :D. Happened a few weeks ago and I thought it was worth saving :D. (RED-5 is an awesome player and did pretty good for 10 mins). Those screenshots illustrate that it is not about the ping, but the player's skill in JKA MP. Thanks for that and for the compliments, keep up the good work at Chop Shop!.:)

Originally posted by AxVegetA

beat the crap out of that f-ucking a-sshole.

Very uncivilized. Do you know that ShroomDuck is registered at these forums? So you are considered as flaming.

you (g-a-y admin)

More flaming. You must not have listened to Kurgan's warnings did you?

and slap.

LOL, Jedi Academy Reloaded doesn't even have slap!

And PLEASE forgive my vulgar language

I don't think Kurgan will...

sorreconchetumadre :)

Lost me there.

Originally posted by Side

id rather have 500 ping than my ****ty 10 fps

people teleporting around=aint cool

Ditto. I've got a cable connection so I get some decent pings but a pentium 2 350 mhz just does not cut it these days. I tried playing some xmod FF CTF servers a couple times and it was absolutely brutal, whenever there was action going on with the inclusion of several force power effects going off I would get an average of 2-10 fps, no joke it's that bad. As much as I liked the gameplay, it was too frustrating to deal with. One moment I'm facing two guys, the next I'm rolling around and falling to my doom because during the frame chop I got gripped, kicked, pushed and god knows what else while I was frantically pushing buttons and waiting for my computer to get from one goddamn frame to the other. Hell, I only average about 15 fps on some duels maps for crying out loud.

Originally posted by Side

ur funny vegeta,

i dont quite remember but like....3 months(or more) ago u were running ur mouth saying "respect honor rule and u wont be lamed back"

now ur saying u chat kill in ffa

When i ffa and i am concerned in my score i kill everyone, like most people, and i am not worryed about geting kicked cause in such madness admins cant control the server. And besides, the great mayority dont respect the honor codes in ffa. But when i am fooling around i follow the honor codes trying to have some fun too.

I can play like a god in guns if my ping is less than 150 and my fps is greater than 60. But regardless, I am sensative to ping and FPS big TIME. Because, it gets a lot more confusing to find where people are jumping around if my fps dips below 60. Ping time usually doesn't affect me too much as long as its below 200. But the main problem giver to me is join lag and bad packetting. With join lag I freeze for 1/2 a second and get disoriented when i unfreeze. Bad packetting does the same to me. Lead aim can solve the problem for bad ping times (you still have to hit direct (not like UT1), its just your projectile is launched with a delay (like in tribes 2)). Therefore, I can play reasonably good with less than 300 ping and around 50 fps. Regardless I'm still going to dominate in a ctf public server just because of better accuracy, speed, and experience no matter what my ping (as long as its playable). But versus someone my own level or better it will matter.

For sabers, ping, FPS, and packets matter a lot more to me than in guns. I almost require an FPS over 70 to play decent. I prefer fps above 90 to play up to my full potenetial. For ping I require it to be below 120 to play decent and below 60 to play at my full. However, I can still dominate in most pubs with high ping and low fps, its just uncomfortable. Versus a good ff saber duelist, I would have a lot of trouble unless I get really low ping and high fps. With 120 fps and 30 ping I can probably play like a beast in guns or sabers.

In conclusion, ping times and FPS don't matter that much versus the average or norm, but they matter a lot more while playing 1v1 versus someone near your level.

Archived