• Milk's fine--'use by' date is still in the future
    • 'Use by' date was yesterday
    • 'Use by' date was three days ago
    • 'Use by' date was six days ago
    • 'Use by' date was nine days ago
    • 'Use by' date was twelve days ago
    • 'Use by' date was less than a month ago
    • 'Use by' date was *more* than a month ago
    • We don't have freshness dating on milk in my country, you bourgeois captalist dog

This is a *public safety* announcement. :max:

It has come to my attention of late that many of us are in the habit of keeping and using milk in the household kitchen well past the expiration date on the carton. Most milk cartons in the US are stamped with both 'sell by' and 'use by' dates on the top border of the carton. Unfortunately, very few consumers actually check those dates when they go to use the milk a week or so later.

Not as crazy as it sounds. :dozey: How long has it been since you bought your milk? Get up RIGHT NOW, and go check the expiration date on the milk in your fridge. Do it--it's a matter of kitchen safety!

Now, I'm willing to bet that most of us have milk in there with 'use by' expiration dates well in the past. Some people will defend this by saying either, 'It's good for a week after you open it, no matter when you open it,' or (my favorite) 'They set those dates assuming it'll sit in your fridge for two weeks before you actually use it.' Hogwash in either case!

Ever get the twenty-four hour flu? ;) There is no such thing--you've had food poisoning and didn't even know it. Little details like milk carton expiration dates are how it happens...

Anyway, just to prove how widespread this problem is, I ask everyone to go check the milk right now, then come back and vote on the poll so we may see firsthand how The Deleted fare when it comes to kitchen safety. :D We are on our honor to vote truthfully.

Thanks, and vive la resistance. :biggs:

being a normal spoothead monkey i'll have to say the milk in my fridge is safe as long as we are talking about expiration dates. i mean my daughter drinks it so fast i hardly can follow this, even as a hardcore milk consumer.

however it is possible to start a whole experiment about the ways of life if someone ever will put olives in my fridge with the intention that I will eat them. same goes for pineapples.

as one of those exemplary areseners my answer would point out that my girlfriend holds the responsibility for making the milk sure and that she is doing a good job btw.

:)

Aaah, DSS is here. :D

Now we may put to rest these annoying questions of the nutritional benefits of drinking milk! Will milk make you impotent or provide the body with vital calcium? Is it laced with hormones which advance the onset of puberty in children at a statistically verifiable rate, or merely white with virginal dairy goodness? :dozey: Milk master, educate us!

(Nothing to see here...)

Shivermetimbers: They put whiskey in the egg nog on your planet? How curious... ;)

Archived