Home

What happen to the Republic Army?

Darth Joka'ar

They were probably decommissioned over time as there were no new threats to the Republic. It would be very expensive to maintain a fleet of that size, so if there is no one to defend against it is a waste. But even though the Republic military was disbanded, there would still be planetary militias, security forces, and things of that sort (like on Naboo, for example).

yeah that was my first thought. it's been how many thousands of years since kotor. and the way people talked in the first two movies, a threat of war has not arisen in quite some time. hundreds or thousands was the number if i remember correctly, during the conversation with padame and the new empress on her home planet. so it may have been dismantled out of the feeling there was no need for it. though this would be pretty stupid in my opinion.

There are all sorts of allusions in the movies - there hasn't been full scale war since the formation of the republic, that's a job for local security, the fact that Naboo, Bespin, etc have local security vehicles, and so on.

I think the thing is that the movies are in a newer republic, this is the old republic.

I like the old republic ... everything makes sense. No worries about tripping over canon ;)

Mike

Another key factor is the fact that the known galaxy is MUCH SMALLER in this era. It obviously would become more difficult to have an army to police the galaxy of the prequel era, as opposed to the old republic era

Just look at it this way..... 20 guys on a raft would be crowded, 20 guys on an ocean liner would get lost.....

This is highlighted by the fact that the republic army of AOTC era is consisted of CLONES. Sidious and his fellow conspirators obviously realised very early on, that in order to be able to defeat the various strong factions in the galaxy(and allow them to eventually establish an imperial rule),a vast army would be required, one that would be large enough to achieve this task, and expendible enough not to cause huge public outcry....... clones would seem to be ideal for this....

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Prime

True. And yet the galaxy is still so familiar because almost everything has a direct counterpart from the movies.

Indeed. I'm a bit of an EU freak, and as far as Im concerned BioWare have done a damn good job keeping a SW feel to the game..... back when I read the KOTOR era comics, they were quite well done, different but still with a strong connection to the SW themes we are familiar with.Bioware has emulated this *perfectly* IMHO

and as far as the storyline/characters go, well.. AMAZING is all I can say. Quite easily the best SW game storyline ever, even surpassing the impressive XWA storyline......

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

and as far as the storyline/characters go, well.. AMAZING is all I can say. Quite easily the best SW game storyline ever, even surpassing the impressive XWA storyline......

I too really enjoyed the story of XWA (and the game for that matter), but I have heard complaints about it before to one degree or another. I have not heard one complaint about the story of KOTOR. In these cynical times, that is a very tall order.

Originally posted by Prime

True. And yet the galaxy is still so familiar because almost everything has a direct counterpart from the movies.

Yeah, you're right:

Carth is Han Solo, as far as I can tell. Bastila could represent Obi-Wan, but instead of dying, she goes to the Dark Side. The Order could be the great Yoda, the one who trains you. You can be Luke, the "promising" jedi who gets a fast training to kill the bad guy, not knowing who he really is (movies: bad guy's son. game: bad guy's old master). Malak could be Vader for being a Dark Jedi (obviously).:p

Not true

Carth is not really Han Solo. Han Solo's a scoundrel, Carth is a respected soldier. OK Bastilla does look like Obi-Wan. Some sort of Qui Gon sounds better for her though. The Order is the Order...Malak wouldn't be Vader, because you're Vader. Since you've redeemed yourself and went back from the Dark Side. Vader did the same. Malak would be Palpatine. The crazy maniac at the head of the huge army.

Archived