Home

Laming & Being kicked...

Grendal_p

I've read a number of threads thus far about laming, and I thought it was high time I made one of my own. I commonly log in during the evenings, and it normally takes me serveral tries (3 or 4) to actually find a server in which I am not kicked from almost immediatly.

Servers like:

Fairy-Forest

!SoS!

H//ero's Server

KWSN's Server

all the servers like the above mentioned ones, that think that a first person combat game, is really IRC with pictures :/

Why is it if someone gets on there and decides to actually run around and fight, is it laming?

Why is it that pushing/pulling a person in mid jump off a ledge is laming, to me it sounds like a rather good tactic :/

My favorite occurance, and this happens multiple times every night, is that I will finally find a server in which they won't kick me immediatly, but instead they rally a "Lamer Hunt" which is mucho fun for me, being a though its the sheep leading themselves right into the den of the wolf. Usually prior to this point I have surpassed there current leaders kill count in about 1/3rd the time, and they feel the need to get vengence.

So the hunt begins...

All the players are after Grendal... Shouts of "Get the yellow Tw'ilek" rain out... yet getting the yellow Tw'ilek never seems to happen. I end up getting anywhere from 2 to 4 kills for every one they get of me, to eventually get booted from the server...

So I guess my question goes out to some of you out there, whats the deal? If you are one of the regulars on those servers, please tell me what i'm missing, what i'm doing wrong, because I honestly just don't see it.

If you are one of those people that think the people I just spoke of are idiots, then please let me know what you do about it when you encounter such tards on a server?

Thx...

- Grendal

Don't hate me because you think I am better than you, hate me because you know I am.

I had that the other night... it was a FFA and few were just chatting. I kept challenging them to a duel, and I got told that FFA is for chatting and that if I want a fight I should go to a duel server.

I'm sorry - but I didn't shell out 50 EUR for a fancy IRC proggy! It'll get to the stage where we don't even need the game any more - we can just log into IRC and play it :confused:

EDIT: and I just want to add... there is no such thing as a lamer - if you don't want to fight, then you shouldn't be in the game. (or at the very least - run off and hide away somewhere where you can't get hurt.

EDIT EDIT: I just had another idea.... become a spectator and chat as much as you like!!

- The only lamer is someone who calls another a lamer.

Don't get me wrong... I do bring the fight to them.

I will kill people with sabers down

I will kill people with chat up

My favorite tactic is to Mind Trick someone, and then chat that person with a taunt whilst following them, and the minute they stop to "respond" i kill them with a 1-move whilst there chat bubble is up.

I will get in the middle of 3 or 4 guys standing around with sabers down to await a duel, and I will begin a yawgspeed spin with dual sabers... I am not about to say I am a nice guy... But when someone does any of that to me, I don't cry, I merely reload and hope I run into them to inact a little revenge in the form of a kill count for me.

As of yet, I have never found a "honor guy" that can actually fight. Most of them think they can, but when it gets right down to it they can not. I fought one clan last night, and all they kept saying was "all you do is the backstab" and i'm thinking to myself, why change up my move if you have yet to figure out how to avoid it :/

To humor them I switched to a single saber and began abusing the lunge move. But yes, if an entire clan is after me, expect me to be using moves that deals with multiple opponents at once.

I've been on servers before where people have rallied to help me, which usually turns into a realy fun fight, with most of the people screaming lamer, actually having some fun when all is said and done. Its suprising, how much fun a 3d First Person Shooter game running the quake engine can be, when you actually treat it to be more than just a really fancy chat room :/

- Grendal

Originally posted by Grendal_p

Don't get me wrong... I do bring the fight to them.

I will kill pe................fancy chat room :/

- Grendal

I agree with all you say...... if you have a move that works - abuse it. If they can't counter, then they should learn how to. Why should you play any less - because they need a handicap?

Originally posted by scoobz1

I agree with all you say...... if you have a move that works - abuse it. If they can't counter, then they should learn how to. Why should you play any less - because they need a handicap?

I often times am forced to use the dual saber spin, especially when clans are ganged up on me. So I often get accused of only knowing that move. However the majority of my kills in a single night can easily be contributed to either the Backslash and/or Backstab moves, the occasional lunge happening as well.

I mean I know a lot of people think that a saber duel involves running around jumping up and down like an idiot and spamming single swings, but lets face it, you don't kill anything doing that. There is really only a small handful of legitamate moves that can be used that will guarantee victory.

From a Dual Sabers Standpoint:

Single Saber Lunge

Dual Saber Spin

Dual Saber stab behind (nothing fancy)

Backslash

Backstap

Saber Throw

And thats about it... using any other move is just about pointless in my opinion.

My favorite thing though, is to get some guy I have killed like 10 times in a row, and he finally gets me once, and boy oh boy does it make his day. So I made up a special bind just for people like that.

It says "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then"

This usually does a very good job of irrating said player even more.

I don't know, maybe I an entirely to cocky, but I know I am good at this game. I know at best that I will only ever find an equal. Yes that is a very cocky attitude to take, but it is one that I can back up, and do so on a nightly basis. I love games like this, i'm just good at them. Put me in a twitch fest game and yes, I will twitch the fastest. I commonly was the guy accused of using aimbots in counterstrike, based souly on the fact that I was very good at Aim at head/Fire in .0001 seconds move....

Ohhh well... I still very much love to be the most hated person... infact most of my binds are setup to annoy people in the game further... Spamming "owned" after all kills against certain clan members usually results in a "Kill Grendal Rally" which is more fun for me :)

- Grendal

My favorite quote from 95% of the servers I dispise...

"Was that a lame?"

As that admin/tard in charge tries to weed out as to rather or not my move I just did, or my kill I just made was "a lame" whatever that means :/

I usually respond by saying... "I think it was..." :)

- Grendal

Originally posted by Grendal_p

So I made up a special bind just for people like that.

It says "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then"

This usually does a very good job of irrating said player even more.

I don't know, maybe I an entirely to cocky, but I know I am good at this game. I know at best that I will only ever find an equal. Yes that is a very cocky attitude to take, but it is one that I can back up, and do so on a nightly basis- Grendal

OK - that might be a little too cocky - but that's your choice; at the end of the day you're only setting yourself up for the fall if someone does get you... but, "it is you're choice" to make! It's a free world!

.....and there's never anything wrong with some friendly banter. It brings some fun to the game :D

.... I wouldn't mind dueling you if you're around later?

Indeed, william, servers that say in the rules "no laming" are not stating the rules clear enough, i have to say on the server your admin at i went just to annoy with lightning, and i was put to sleep for using force when it was enabled, even though this wasnt down to you william, you even said wait for force to be disabled ,"its confusing". If rules say "no laming", ask the admins to make the rules more clear, i do think it was unfair when you put everyone to sleep when only few was "laming", william, and i was in trouble alot when i was fighting people with saber up and admins got in the way and got zaped by my lightning, not my fault but i had fun anyway

You have no idea how frustrating the job of an admin is... You finally manage to get this guy who just got the game to talk (Nexus: "Press Y button chat") with you, and learn him the rules of our server... It did work out... But then after I learned him the rules, some other guy who I had talked to 10 times just kept breaking the rules. So basically, many people were breaking rules everywhere, and it's too hard to keep track on people...

I'd rather admin a No Rules server, and that force thing really sucked, I think it should be allowed until it is disabled...

And the MOTD, it should clearly say the real rules for the server, not "No Laming", most people don't know what that mean...

Being put to sleep by an admin is a very common occurance to me. In the end though, it brings me great pleasure to know that i've more than likely made some whiner cry in real life at the ownage he is receiving in game :/

Being put to sleep or booted by an admin is usually a badge of honor to me... its like saying... "we couldn't handle you any other way".

Just out of curiosity... Master William... what server do u admin?

- Grendal

Originally posted by Tinny

hey i have an idea. how about a bunch of us get together over irc or aim or something and set up a time. we all go on a honor/rpg server and bind name switches, and lame ALL day.

Everyone here should know that I think that "honor codes" are a perversion of the original design and intention of the game.

But I think you should leave those people alone. Let them be. You are wasting your time if you think you are going to change any minds that way.

Many people have said in Jedi Outcast there were so few servers that let you actually play the game that out of frustration and boredom they went on any random server (since 98% were "honor servers") and "lamed" people.

We aren't in that situation with Star Wars® Jedi Knight®: Jedi Academy (yet) so just leave those folks alone and go to a server that lets you really play the game, like my servers (look at my sig below for names and IPs) or any of these.

Once I was on a server where 2 girl jedis walked every where and yelled at people for fighting. So I rallied a bunch of people to the cause and we fought the admins! They couldn't stop us. There was atleast 15 in the server and I got about 10 to help me. It was sooo funny. The Admins were crying "lamer! lamer!lamer!" and their 5 body guards were getting killed whenever they spawned.

I cant remember the name but it was fun. :D

:fett:

Unfortunately, it's a common occurance... I've been to a good number of servers where there are no rules listed, only to get kicked out eventually. Being called a lamer on your own server is also rather funny, except the one that gets kicked isn't the lamer, but rather the lamee. =)

I was playing gas mine with a few clanners that joined in last night, and what you say couldn't be more true, it seems that pushing some dork into the abyss because he failed to put points into push for defense or absorb to avoid being pushed in the first place makes you a lamer.

Then they start making with the insults... But I think it's surprising when *they* end up getting kicked. I guess the idea of a lamer admin is something of a revelation to them. =)

Too bad that 90% of the people that play this game are of the "you lamer!" variaety, it's been terribly lonely at my server since most of the true FFA crowd has already picked a favorite server and probably stays there. But oh well, pushing and kicking honor d00ds is plenty of fun in its own right.

Originally posted by Vulkan_HFB

Too bad that 90% of the people that play this game are of the "you lamer!" variaety, it's been terribly lonely at my server since most of the true FFA crowd has already picked a favorite server and probably stays there. But oh well, pushing and kicking honor d00ds is plenty of fun in its own right.

Be patient, your server was just recently "reborn", so give people a chance to find it. I predict you will see an increase in traffic around Dec. 25 or so. Have a few bots and\or be there yourself to play people who show up, and make sure they have a good time (ie, let them win, but don't make it obvious). You can also run Siege games for awhile or every so often, Siege servers seem to be pretty popular.

There are a lot of "casual" clans that need a home server. If you play on some other servers and meet some clan guys that you like, and they are lacking a server, maybe join their clan and make your server the clan's server.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Many people have said in Jedi Outcast there were so few servers that let you actually play the game that out of frustration and boredom they went on any random server (since 98% were "honor servers") and "lamed" people.

I don't think 2% is a lot, as you just said. Why were most servers honor? Why? Because the ppl that favored that were in majority, not the ones that only use binds to chat and 24/7 play; (*) so you don't have to put an act together that there is a little pest somewhere that needs to be terminated.

(*)->only bit of personal opinion in this post, I didn't say I was for honor or not, which isn't the meaning of this post, it's that you're trying to alienate a majority. People host honor coded server, you didn't pay for those so why are you complaining, they're not yours and you don't have any right of them. since the ones that share your opinion here are with many, and you guys have lists of servers where you can play w/o all this honour stuff, why complain. You did NOT pay for them, and you're not forced to join them. Sure I agree it's fun with many servers with the settings you want, but those servers are not yours and why put actions and all this stuff against them. you can't akways get what you want

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

I don't think 2% is a lot, as you just said. Why were most servers honor? Why? Because the ppl that favored that were in majority, not the ones that only use binds to chat and 24/7 play; (*) so you don't have to put an act together that there is a little pest somewhere that needs to be terminated.

(*)->only bit of personal opinion in this post, I didn't say I was for honor or not, which isn't the meaning of this post, it's that you're trying to alienate a majority. People host honor coded server, you didn't pay for those so why are you complaining, they're not yours and you don't have any right of them. since the ones that share your opinion here are with many, and you guys have lists of servers where you can play w/o all this honour stuff, why complain. You did NOT pay for them, and you're not forced to join them. Sure I agree it's fun with many servers with the settings you want, but those servers are not yours and why put actions and all this stuff against them. you can't akways get what you want

Free cookies for those who actually understood this post

I guess I won't be getting any free cookies.

I hope you read my post. I am against people going to "honor" servers just to cause trouble. I said leave those people alone and go to a server that let's you play the game.

I already explained how I think the "honor" players became the majority in Jedi Outcast here. It's not because "honor codes" are "more popular" or "better", it's three things:

[*]They took advantage of the naivete and susceptibilty to peer pressure of new players and brainwashed\initimidated\seduced them into the honor camp.

[*]"Honor" players tend to spread like missionaries preaching a false religion, invading and infesting other servers

[*]The player abuse from abusive admins so common at "honor" servers simply drove a lot of players away to other games (UT2003, RTCW, etc.) where they didn't have to deal with immature abusive "honor" admins and their power trips

[/list=1]

So before you so smugly assume that "honor" players and servers were the majority in Jedi Outcast (at the end) because "honor" is so superior and popular, the sad truth is that the "honor" players killed the community, so in the end all that was left were "honor" players. We are trying to keep history from repeating itself in Star Wars® Jedi Knight®: Jedi Academy.

Archived