Home

pentium 4 HT

kingdomwinds

ALL P4's are hyper threaded. And I doubt too many games would be multi-threaded to be able to use the two seperate processor spaces. You would need NT/2K/XP to be able to take proper advantage of this multi-threading capability anyway.

Programs such as Photoshop are multithreaded. No game that I am aware of is multithreaded, and not until a P4 is the slowest chip on the market.

If you are talking more about the P4 Extreme's - great waste of money. Get a laptop with a Centrino Chip and watch it outperform P4's that are double to triple it's speed. On die cache is where more speed is going to be found, and the sooner they get 1 MB of on die cache like the Centrino, the better CPU's for desktops will be.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit

AMDs are very efficient, just not capable for high clock speed.

Eh? I have a DFI Landparty NFII Ultra B with an XP2800+ (2.09 HGZ) and with a good cooling system (I.E. Liquid) I've seen them clocked to almost 1 Ghz higher then the stock speed (I.E 2500+ Clocked to 2.6 GHZ) Once I have some better ram (PC4000) I'm planning to clock this chip to 2.7-8 GHZ, easy.

I had an XP2000+(1.67HZ) on a cheap Soyo board, and it beat my parents P4 2.6ghz In performance very easy.

Itel in general = Over rather, and costs WAAAAY to much

AMD = Well, they won the race to 64 bit cpu, and they cost nearly half a much... need I say more.

Actually, hyperthreading will get better performance out of games. I ran some benchies myself ;)

The basic premise behind hyperthreading is that you get 2 processor's worth of power out of one. However, the "2 processors" that you have, work in parallel - not together to form one almighty CPU. It's kind of a difficult thing to explain, and I could point you to some very long articles on Hard OCP, but you'd be bored stiff. An easy example to give would be: you are using two programs at the same time, eg. Photoshop and Windows Media Player. Rather than your CPU using all it's power to run both programs, the hyperthreading will allow each of your 2 individual "processors" to run one program each - thus making things a lot faster.

Sorry if that is confusing, or not particularly specific - but HT is a very complicated process, and that's as "layman" as I could make it.

Bleh :p

Originally posted by RoxStar

...so how would that affect say.... JA if its only one program?:confused:

Well, that's why example isn't so great.

Essentially, the CPU can perform twice the amount of tasks. As you can imagine, a CPU has to perform many tasks for one prorgram, however, programs have to have support built in for multi processor functionality - luckily the Quake 3 engine does, and thus JA has too. Though, with Q3 and its engine games the step up isn't huge - you can get between 10-20 frames extra with HT enabled.

If you want to read that Hard OCP article, head here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzg4

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

ALL P4's are hyper threaded. And I doubt too many games would be multi-threaded to be able to use the two seperate processor spaces. You would need NT/2K/XP to be able to take proper advantage of this multi-threading capability anyway.

Programs such as Photoshop are multithreaded. No game that I am aware of is multithreaded, and not until a P4 is the slowest chip on the market.

If you are talking more about the P4 Extreme's - great waste of money. Get a laptop with a Centrino Chip and watch it outperform P4's that are double to triple it's speed. On die cache is where more speed is going to be found, and the sooner they get 1 MB of on die cache like the Centrino, the better CPU's for desktops will be.

btw, last time I checked, laptops running with Intel Centrino mobile technology run on a Pentium M processor.

btw, The_One, I am also a computer software and components geek. I wouldn't get bored stiff.

Archived