Home

OJP: New Animations Project

Marker0077

Originally posted by Darth Sun

Believe me, I go a long way with the Quake engine functionality, I just don't know enough to do big mods to this extent but I know how it works very well.

I've been modding for over 10 years. I was working on TC mods since the days of Doom & Heretic, this isn't my first rodeo man so please listen to what I am telling you. I have done some pretty extensive testing with JK2 so I'm sure the same stuff applies to JK3.

Yes, it is *possible* that it will require a download, however, that does not mean that it will not run without it. It might work out so that unless someone is actually using the new animations, it may not go for the download; In which case, it won't start the download until the player connects & then there is a map change.

The "base" folder does not function the same way a custom folder does. You can have a blank .pk3 file in the "base" folder & the server will not attempt to upload it to the client but if you put that same blank .pk3 file in a custom folder, the server will attempt to upload it to the client. The "base" folder only uploads what you *need*, custom folders upload all .pk3 files that are in that folder.

In all reality, the server should be using the new animations .pk3 file so I do think it will attempt to download it just like you & RA are thinking it will, however, that doesn't mean the server will not function in pure mode if downloading is disabled. Purity makes it so you can't use files that the server isn't using & the only time I've ever seen the server not function in pure mode when a client doesn't have a file the server does is when the missing file is where the .qvm/.dll file is in there. That does not automatically mean that same concept will apply to the animations file.

An another note, we might just be able to seperate the clean cut version from the mature version all via the .cfg files (which I don't think I will be doing because it leaves room for allowing the Mature animations for those who may not want it).

Also, purity is not as solid in JK as it is in Quake 3. I've joined a Duelers 1.2 for JK2 pure server (client & server-side mod) with Duelers 1.2 & Duelers 1.3 in my duelers folder & I was able to access new features that were implimented in Duelers 1.3.

So you see, things are not always as they are appear & until you actually test it, you do not know for fact what will or will not happen.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You still didn't get it, so I'll tell it diferently using what you said.

Yes, it is *possible* that it will require a download, however, that does not mean that it will not run without it. It might work out so that unless someone is actually using the new animations, it may not go for the download; In which case, it won't start the download until the player connects & then there is a map change.

That itself defeats the purpose of having a seperate animation pack.

Let's say I am using the "clean" animation set and I go in a server which has the "flip-off" animation set.

My client would start to download the "flip-off.pk3" so I could be pure to the server since I didn't have that one, I had the "clean.pk3".

Eventually I would join once the download is complete, as expected, and I would start seeing what I didn't wanna see, the flip-offs and the crotch holds.

You see, it's possible yes, but they will override themselves.

If someone has their download ability disabled (like I do) then they are kicked since they can't match the server "purity".

Purity does what you said, but if the client doesn't have an important file like the animations (granted these would be included in a sort of system file, thus making it a client thing) it would eventually throw the server out of synch.

Think about it, and I know what you said is possible of going in a server without the required files (I saw it happen in my own server) it would have weird results for the clients who don't have the files and many even complained to me about it; it was either stances they couldn't select, stance colors not working, invisible saber blades (due to the RGB mod), unsynched animations (due to diferent lengths for taunts and so on) and I could go on and on.

Trust me, wouldn't work well, even though it would be possible while giving loads of problems.

If you want to do an animation pack do a single one, with flip-offs or no flip-offs, just do one.

At most these flip-offs would be a server Cvar like some mods already have ability to disable certain "emotes", this way if people don't want the animations they look for a server with the flip-offs disabled even though they are still installed.

Now, completly offtopic and directed to Marker007:

I also did Doom mods and so on, but believe me that it's completly irrelevant for this case since Doom was 100% unpure, fully hackable and easilly altered to give you some weird advantages in online play.

I'm only talking about pure Quake 3 engine editing/moding/using since it's the only thing relevant for this discussion; we're not trying to see which one of us is "leet" and not and who has been in this more than the other, irrelevant.

I hope you read all of this.

Let's say I am using the "clean" animation set and I go in a server which has the "flip-off" animation set.

My client would start to download the "flip-off.pk3" so I could be pure to the server since I didn't have that one, I had the "clean.pk3".

Eventually I would join once the download is complete, as expected, and I would start seeing what I didn't wanna see, the flip-offs and the crotch holds.

Well you might not want to see a naked tavion running around but if the server has that model with a bot running, you're going to download it.

If it's an unpure server, it might not even download the thing at all. I don't think purity being on or off will make any difference though.

I will be including an actual manual in winhelp or HTML format (depends if it's win or linux/unix). This is something I will cover there. Hell, I may even be doing server presets in which case I'll be disabling downloading altogether. People should have sites for that kind of thing.

You see, it's possible yes, but they will override themselves.

If someone has their download ability disabled (like I do) then they are kicked since they can't match the server "purity".

Yet again, YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT. I already explained to you the scenario with Duelers in the previous post, animation files & actual code files ARE NOT the same thing & even if it does act the same, purity in JK2 is a bit dodgy to begin with. There *are* all kinds of possibilities, until we do some testing on this we do not *know* anything for sure.

Trust me, wouldn't work well, even though it would be possible while giving loads of problems.

I'm certainly not going to problem solve a problem that I am not 100% sure is even going to be a problem in the first place.

If you want to do an animation pack do a single one, with flip-offs or no flip-offs, just do one.

The animations pack is a resource for developers so I am doing both any way you look at it. Coders can choose which animations they want to include in their mods .pk3 files.

As far as doing just 1 pack for CM to be distributed publically, I may do that. I'm not 100% what it is I am doing exactly & I won't until I have something to work with.

Look, I'm not saying that what you are saying isn't going to happen or isn't even a likely possiblity but I'm not going to dismiss the possibility that it won't work out that way & it will function okay with 2 different packs.

...it's the only thing relevant for this discussion...

The relevancy was that I had been modding for 10 years. I knew how this stuff worked then, I know how this stuff works now. There have been plenty of times people (& sometimes even myself) have said "oh ya, that will definitely work out that way - no doubt" & blah blah blah & it doesn't. DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING, unless you have *actually tested it*, you do not know.

I hope you read all of this.

Likewise.

I'll make this my last post in this thread since I don't like to talk to a wall for long periods of time and here I'm not saying you're a wall but merely saying you're not listening to what I'm saying that I have seen from EXPERIENCE.

I talk about this because I KNOW how it works and I KNOW it will do that.

Didn't you read I said people complained about troubles in my JO server because of this exact thing of them having one file (or no file) and me having others?

If the server is running Naked Tavion I won't see it, basically because I have downloads turned off, I will just see Kyle.

If the server is running server sensitive stuff then I'm merely booted from the server for not having the stuff, it's that simple.

Purity on and off WILL make a diference; it did a diference in JO, it did a diference in Quake 3, it did a diference in Elite Force, it did a diference in Medal of Honor, it did a diference in Soldiers of Fortune 2 and it makes a diference in JA since some friends of mine can't even join my JA server unless I set it to unpure!

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

If we go by age, we both apparently work on this since we're 11 (judging your Avatar says you're 21), the diference being I'm 23, meaning I work on games for longer than you do if this is of any relevance, which is not since Doom doesn't work in any similar way to Quake 3; back then Doom editing was through hacks of the executable itself to alter animation tables, weapon effects and so on, pwad creation with new maps, iwads with new sprites for the characters/monsters and didn't go much further than that till ID Software released the Doom source code to let people do their own ports.

Quake and Quake 2 are similar to Quake 3 though and in these I have experience since I modded for them, even coded and did models and skins for Quake 2 and I also coded a bit for Quake 3.

Games 10 years ago did not work the same way of games from 4 years ago and even less like games of today.

I repeat, the best way is to do one single pack of animations with all of them and just doing a sort of cvar to turn off the "offensive" animations if people, and the server admin itself, want to turn them off.

I will now rest my case in this thread since I don't want this to turn into a flame war for something as small as an animation pack, granted things are already a bit heated up as it is.

If you somehow make this "two animation packs" idea work, congratulations Marker007, but from personal experience I doubt it will work.

I apologise to everyone beforehand for whatever I could have said that goes against anyone's opinions and/or personal experiences.

I'll make this my last post in this thread since I don't like to talk to a wall for long periods of time and here I'm not saying you're a wall but merely saying you're not listening to what I'm saying that I have seen from EXPERIENCE.

Well, you have a funny way of not calling this not like talkin to a wall but I understand completely what you are talking about. It is frustrating when you tell people something & they do not listen to what you are telling them.

Since this whole ordeal is rather pointless without ACTUAL FACTS, I decided to run some tests of my own to settle the matter. The tests proved that you were right & you were wrong...

If you connect to a server running a map that you have, it will not start the download & will allow you to connect without the new animations, however, it does start the download (& does not permit you to connect without it) upon map change, regardless of whether you have the map or not. Now you could just reconnect but I totally do not like having it set up like that.

I more than likely will be going with just 1 animations pack. I'm hoping I can just use different .cfg files to settle the matter in "base" or perhaps I might just have the Mature animations run in a custom folder (this would cause complications for server-side only mods though) but we'll see how it goes. Until I actually have a way of producing the new animations, I'm not going to worry about it.

Anyways, I'd just like to point out that this is EXACTLY why I said what I said. You might *think* you know something to be fact but UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY TEST IT OUT YOU DON'T.

Didn't you read I said people complained about troubles in my JO server because of this exact thing of them having one file (or no file) and me having others?

Servers may download models that have bots running, but it doesn't download sound mods or weapon mods; Not out of "base" anyways (custom folders download *all* .pk3 files).

Since no one has ever modified the player animations & made a working .pk3 of them, you can't say you know FOR FACT that it will go one way or the other.

Now all I did was put everything that was in the _humanoid folder into a seperate .pk3 & it does everything we needed to test out the downloadability. There are obviously still other factors to worry about, such as various animations not included in the assets attempted to be ran on clients whom do not have the pack.

Again, I'll worry about this bridge when I come to it.

Purity on and off WILL make a diference; it did a diference in JO, it did a diference in Quake 3, it did a diference in Elite Force, it did a diference in Medal of Honor, it did a diference in Soldiers of Fortune 2 and it makes a diference in JA since some friends of mine can't even join my JA server unless I set it to unpure!

#1 What I said was that the purity system in JK is dodgy, I didn't say it didn't work.

#2 I made over 250 mods for MoH:AA & I do know FOR FACT that the purity system in Allied Assault DID NOT WORK. Not within the first year of the game at least.

Now perhaps Spearhead or any of the other add-ons have a working purity system but Allied Assault certainly does not, or at least did not. I left MoH shortly after SH was released because I knew my centerpiece mod would never run out of a custom folder & I hated jimmy rigging the thing to make it work. The point is I wouldn't know about SH & the other packs because I didn't stick around. I wanted to mod a game for a company that cared about its modding community.

#3 What does your friends not being able to join your server have anything to do with how new animations will function in a pure server? Does your server have new animations? It probably doesn't, therefore it doesn't apply.

You could have a weapon or sound mod on your server & they could connect just fine, yet if you have a new vehicle on your server (& someone is using it) then they will not be able to connect unless they have the file or download it from the server.

Different files function in different ways. Since there are no new animations out there you CAN NOT SAY YOU KNOW **FOR FACT** what will or will not happen. You can say "I'm pretty sure it will go this way" but that's not what you said, you said "I know for fact" which was not exactly the case.

If we go by age, we both apparently work on this since we're 11 (judging your Avatar says you're 21)...

My avatar says that was me WHEN I was 21, which was 5 years ago. The 77 in my name is my year of birth.

Anyways, who's older doesn't mean anything. Just because I have been doing this longer than you, that doesn't necessarily mean I know more than you & it certainly doesn't mean I'm better. All I was trying to point out was I've been doing this for a long time & I've been around long enough to realize you *MUST* test everything.

...meaning I work on games for longer than you do if this is of any relevance...

That's a little hard to believe since I've been around since day 1. I was doing this sort of thing before the internet was big & we had to go off of just the books that id had released to the public.

Anyways, the last reply applies to this one as well. I don't feel like getting into this dick measuring contest with you, you believe whatever.

...which is not since Doom doesn't work in any similar way to Quake 3...

For the most part no but there are certain things that still work the same considering Quake was built off of Doom. It's nothing significant but it can be useful knowledge in some cases.

I repeat, the best way is to do one single pack of animations with all of them and just doing a sort of cvar to turn off the "offensive" animations if people, and the server admin itself, want to turn them off.

This only applies to those who will be adding the pack to their mod such as OJP, MB, etc; etc. We're not changing any code in base - no way.

I will now rest my case in this thread since I don't want this to turn into a flame war for something as small as an animation pack, granted things are already a bit heated up as it is.

Agreed. I've expressed my opinion & vice versa. We'll just leave it at that.

If you somehow make this "two animation packs" idea work, congratulations Marker007, but from personal experience I doubt it will work.

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. I'm sure it can be done, the problem is figuring out the best way of going about handling it.

I apologise to everyone beforehand for whatever I could have said that goes against anyone's opinions and/or personal experiences.

There's nothing wrong with having a difference in opinion, you just need to watch rude commentary.

Edit: Bleh, double post. o_O

If you hit the edit button, there is a delete option at the top.

I think it would be advisable to put all the animations, "old school" (whatever you want to call them, doesn't matter to me) in the same .gla/.glm (whatever it uses, I haven't made any models for JA/JO yet) and just switch out the animations.cfg. I admit I haven't done any modding for JA or even any quake 3 based games, but to me this seems like the obvious solution.

If I understand it correctly animations.cfg is just a file dictating which animations are linked to which frames in the _humanoi file? If so it seems like the best solution to me.

Sorry, I was probably a bit too heated in my last post regarding the whole animation thing.

I'm going through a little personal problem which I won't go into detail and I guess I unloaded the problem a bit on that thread.

Anyway, I'll show now the things I know about pureness with JO and JA from what I have seen from being a dedicated server admin for these games.

With a pure server this is what happens:

- PK3 files with VEH files, client DLL files and animation files are downloaded by the client if they don't have them, if the player has downloads turned off he is kicked off the server.

- PK3 files with models and skins don't have download enforcement, so if the player has downloads turned off he is still allowed inside the server.

- PK3 files with maps are only downloaded if they are being used and the player doesn't have them, till they show up he won't download them if he doesn't have them.

- PK3 files with maps and with VEH files are downloaded if the player doesn't have the VEH files (case of KOTOR Flight School and Bespin Flight Arena), although as you probably guessed it's the VEH (system files) which are trigering the download and not the map itself.

- PK3 files with new NPCs are not flagged as an enforced download, if you spawn one I'm not really sure what happens since I never tested it.

- Curiously enough, in unpure servers the VEH PK3s are sometimes not enforced, this causes the client without the VEH files to be kicked off the server the moment a VEH they don't have is spawned.

- PK3 files with new sabers, new glows and so on are not flagged as an enforced download, so people will see default blades or see no blade in the case of the RGB sabers since they use a whole new saber blade file.

That's all I found out about how the pureness works in JO/JA.

Diferent GLA will have an enforced download flag in a pure server, but, as many pointed out, the animations.cfg might actually not have that flag.

As mentioned many times by me, Marker007 and some others, having one GLA and a diferent CFG might make it work, but remember that the CFG must be in a diferent PK3 or the CRC check will notice there's a diference and try to download the whole thing again since the GLA is marked as a system file.

It'll be a matter of testing to see if the animations.cfg will be downloaded or not for being diferent.

Again I apologise for my "flamish" posts, I didn't mean to offend Marker007 nor anyone, I've just been having a somewhat rough week.

This now is really my last post in this thread, sorry.

P.S.: Ah, thanks, never noticed the delete button in the "edit" post function. o_O

Originally posted by babywax

I think it would be advisable to put all the animations... ...in the same .gla/.glm... ...and just switch out the animations.cfg.

My only concern is mature animations being shown to those whom do not want to view it. If I can get away with accomplishing that by doing this that way then sure but I don't think I will be. Having the only thing stopping the Mature animations from being displayed is the .cfg file leaves too much room to play Mature animations to those whom do not want to view it. I could be wrong on that but again, until I have something to work with, I'm not too concerned about it.
Originally posted by babywax

If I understand it correctly animations.cfg is just a file dictating which animations are linked to which frames in the _humanoi file? If so it seems like the best solution to me.

Ya I think so.

Sorry, I was probably a bit too heated in my last post regarding the whole animation thing.

Likewise on the apologies. Don't worry about it, nothing that bad was said & even if it was, I can handle it.

- PK3 files with models and skins don't have download enforcement, so if the player has downloads turned off he is still allowed inside the server.

The models themselves are not enforced no but if the server is running a bot with a model that the player doesn't have, it goes for the download. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it will boot you from the server if you do not have downloads turned on.

As far as the other files goes (like what gets downloaded, when & why), if the server is using the file it will hit the client up for a download. There are only certain types of files that will not even allow you to connect to the server such as maps, vehicles, & appearently animations. Again, if the server is running a bot & you don't have that model, I know it hits the client up for a download (normally like the animations was, downloads on map change or if you don't have the map & have to download anyways) but I don't think it'll disallow clients to connect if they don't have the bot file.

As for the different CFGs, I can't quite put my finger on it but there is alot of room for allowing the mature animations for those who may not want it. I suppose it's better than placing the thing in a custom folder, I mean, if the server has mature animations enabled the client is going to go that route no matter what... I think I'm just going to use the Mature animations pack as a resource for coders mods. This is just becoming too problematic for such a little thing.

As far as "this really is my last post" goes, it's a free forum man. Speak your opinion if you like, we don't mind.

Well that whole fiasco was about the CM animations pack that's going in the client pack (which is for the public use & goes in "base") which is why it took a bit more thought to figure out.

For coders, I'm doing 2 different animations packs (clean cut & mature) & it's up to them to decide what they want to use. If a coder doesn't want those animations in there at all, there's no sense in causing more work on their end for something they're going to completely disable anyways.

Just go with one pack, period. It's going to be a monster d/l and we don't want to force users to have to download multiple versions. The modders will have to make code modifications to add each animation anyway. They can pick and choose the clean/dirty versions then.

I will more than likely just go with one pack for the client side pack distribution. Having more options is the best way to go obviously but whether or not it's worth the cost is something I'll have to decide during testing, which won't happen until I have something to work with.

There are a variety of ways of going about handling what it is I'm looking to accomplish. I may just be able to put the different animation .cfg files in the Mature pack (& as long as that doesn't produce a server side download & most importantly, force clients to use that pack) then voila! Problem solved.

Anyways, this whole thing is pointless without something to work with so until that glorious moment, I'm not worried about it.

I just wanted feedback from everyone on their thoughts, comments, any animation ideas they think would be good, etc; etc.

From what I hear, Wudan & another developer are working on some sort of animations merging tool which would be useful but whether it is available or not, I do plan on doing whatever it is necessarry to make new animations available to all OJP supporters.

Poke

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107116

This also works in JA, just get the JA skeleton by Corto (was linked in JA Modelling), and use the already given .car file in the SDK

lol, thanks Ask. I actually went looking for this thread because I didn't really check it out the first time you sent it my way & then when this project came about, this was the first place I wanted to go & checkout but not only couldn't find it, I couldn't remember who told me about it. I knew it was LF staff but forgot which one, Chris was my best guess & obviously it wasn't him.

Anyways, thanks man, I'll be sure to look into it... this time.

Marker0077 LATE EDIT: The link to the .xsi doesn't work. You &/or these guys should have put something like this on some mirrors or at least 1 solid one. Know how I can get a copy (contact info in sig)?

Also, I think now I am going to do a developers pack as well. Just a bunch of tools for developers with a variety of programs & probably some more thorough tutorials as well; Imparticularly with 3DS Max. Something to think about.

Ya I have all those man but thanks anyways. TBH, I'm not really thrilled with that new XSI importer. I use Max 5.1 & my animation bar gets all messed up when I use it. Now I'm sure it's nothing serious & I probably will include it in the pack with a warning but I'd prefer just creating my own JK3 skeleton than using that plugin. The chance of it messing something up is just not worth it to me.

All the models I am working on will be for JK2 & JK3 so I am hoping to find or create a script that will convert models from JK2 to JK3.

I've yet to use the new importor also. I just didn't need to, becuase I had a working skeleton before the model tools were released.

And a script shouldn't be too hard. The differences aren't much.

Just be sure you get that lhang_bone thing right. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for not being online for such a long time but my internet went out, so I didn't have much of a choice. Anyways...

I've been talking with Ask & Corto in regards to their merging program. This will probably be the way I go about doing the animations packs but I am still going to look for alternative methods. I'm going to get in contact with quite a few of the Raven staff members in regards to this topic but I am somewhat skeptical on whether or not they will help. I am obviously hoping for the best.

The animations pack for use in "base" is definitely out because in order to add animations, you *must* change the source code & there's no way in hell I'm changing the source & putting that in "base"; That's the specific reason why custom folders were invented in the first place. We could change existing animations from one thing to another but the point of this project is to add animations, not remove (or change, however you want to phraze it) existing ones. Anyways, This should settle the dispute regarding the mature & clean cut versions of the pack, which will be enabled/disabled via a server side cvar (& probably a client side one as well, like the dismemberment is set up) & both of which will be defaulted to off.

I will probably begin on it sometime within the next few weeks. I apologize about the wait time but I have a LAN system that I need to re-do & that's probably going to keep me tied up for at least a week, possibly two. At that point, I think I am going to get the client pack & server pack out just to get some peoples attention, then possibly work on the animations pack from that point.

Is it just me or do you think maybe this project should be called Cool Packs? :-)

Anyways, I need staff people (/me takes a number), mainly modelers for Skins Pack A (I need modelers to import models, weight them, & get them in-game because I am making some changes to some existing models by improving some meshes (very few) & converting them to JK3 for JK3 & tying the default skins to the meshes for JK2 models). I think once the client pack & server pack is out there, people will be more interested in what CM is about & have more incentive to help out. We'll see.

Originally posted by razorace

Since new animations would have to be in pair with some animation code changes, I suggest you just let it be a part of OJP.

This was always going to be apart of OJP, there's no way I'm not going to contribute this, it's just waaaaaay too big of a thing to not make available to the community. It's just that it will be apart of CM as well.
Originally posted by Wudan

You are trying to make new animations without taking the advice or heedings of people who've already done what you're trying to do.

Thanks, and good night.

Have no clue what you are on about. I got that you are trying to say something but if it's forget about trying to make new animations for JK3, then ya, I'm not listening.

You don't know what it is I can or can not do or who I do or do not have contact with. Any way you look at it, 2 heads are better than one. I appreciate your "heedings" but I don't give up so lightly. Especially when I haven't even begun yet.

If you really want to make this happen, I suggest you encourage people to finding away, not discouraging them. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you mean well but I'm not about to give up just because no one else could make it happen. I've talked with Ask, I've talked with Corto. I don't think this is going to be that big of a thing.

You really don't know what I'm talking about, do you?

Skill aside, it's not easy to do - I know it's possible (to add new animations), I'm just speaking from experience when I tell you that it's not easy.

Go ahead and show me that you can get a new animation in-game, and we can cut the logistics discussion and discuss what animations need added/fixed.

Well like I said, I've talked with Ask & Corto. They have already got this working with JK2 & there is a problem with JK3 from what Corto said but after talking with Corto, I get the impression the guy doesn't even have JK3. He kept going on about the animations.cfg file for each model which in JK3, there is only 1 animations.cfg (in _humanoid foler) plus he was saying that you could just add stuff into the animations.cfg & the modified .gla & it would work which is *not* the case with new animations. Perhaps there was some miscommunication there but I'm not spending my time trying to prove myself worthy to the guy, which was the impression I got from him.

As far as the problem with doing JK3 animations goes, he said something about the skeletons being a different size. Appearently there is a problem with Ask's proggy with JK3 stuff & he doesn't know what to fix, so I will do what I can to figure out what the real deal is, get everyone informed & get the problem taken care of.

Anyways, the animations end of CM is taking a step up. I am redoing all the computers here on the LAN at the homefront but afterwards, the animations end of this is going to be my #1 priority because I don't know how much longer I am going to be online on a regular basis. If I can at minimum, pave the way for everyone else on this then that would obviously be benificial for all of us.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on the progress of current happenings with this.

Corto didn't write the program, ASk did. Corto, ASk and I worked out the technical stuff to get a working JK2 skeleton in XSI format.

You just need to recreate the JKA skeleton in XSI format, and leave the first frame of your animation in the 'base' pose (also called the DaVinci Pose), run it through carcass andmerge in with ASk's program.

It's that easy - now go do it.

Archived