Home

Dynamic glow?

Jedi Runt

Originally posted by Bilbo Skywalker

It basically makes your lightsaber cast light upon objects and people in the game like it would light up dark corners of the game etc.

you can turn it on or off from the game settings menu.

If you dont have decent processor / graphics card, then it will really hammer your performance ingame. =/

Yeah. Overall it doesn't affect the gameplay but it depends on the size of your comp and how good you are with it. :p :/

Originally posted by Bilbo Skywalker

It basically makes your lightsaber cast light upon objects and people in the game like it would light up dark corners of the game etc.

you can turn it on or off from the game settings menu.

If you dont have decent processor / graphics card, then it will really hammer your performance ingame. =/

that's not dynamic glow, actually it's what appears on the object, it gives a soft glowing effect, like this

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Here i am :p:D;P

OK, why don't you tell us all *again* how your 5700 Ultra gives you 120fps and doesnt even slow down with DG on... :p

gosh, Im happy I cant show fps on KOTOR, otherwise id be damn paranoid about it as I was on JA..... But on ultra high quality setting my card can barely handle KOTOR, on normal settings it works a treat......

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

OK, why don't you tell us all *again* how your 5700 Ultra gives you 120fps and doesnt even slow down with DG on... :p

MTFBWYA

Dunnos. Its like that. And i could even hit 200+ on shroom's deathstar with it off. :eek:

gosh, Im happy I cant show fps on KOTOR, otherwise id be damn paranoid about it as I was on JA..... But on ultra high quality setting my card can barely handle KOTOR, on normal settings it works a treat......

MTFBWYA

You are using a GeForce FX Go5600 right? Arent those supposed to be for laptops? We all know that laptops are not for playing games. :p For work.

Or maybe you accidently downclocked your card without knowing?

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

You are using a GeForce FX Go5600 right? Arent those supposed to be for laptops? We all know that laptops are not for playing games. :p For work.

Or maybe you accidently downclocked your card without knowing?

A 64mb card in any machine will run games fine....this was apparently what the 'Fx GO' series cards were designed for......

plus, you obviously havent seen my laptop, a sexy blue toshiba satellite 5200......half the weight of it are the harman/kardon speakers on board to give it a booming sound.......

with regards to my card settings, that is probably something i need to look at, but since I dont play JA anymore, I couldnt care less, so I wont bother messin with it ! :p

Also, with this 200 fps business, I have said it many times before and will say it again, the human brain can only process visual information at a set frequency, no greater than 150 hz.......(which transalates as image processes per second in this case)........ It is unlikely that anyone will be able to discern what the hell 200fps really looks like......as far as the brain is concerned its still 150 or less..... also, remember when you go to the movies, that is only 25 fps, as that is deemed as the natural rate that the eye/brain takes in info......

MTFBWYA

the human brain can only process visual information at a set frequency

Uh, can you back that up? I've always known that you don't see or process anything at a fixed rate, you don't see in frames, it's all just constant streams. Your eyes aren't refreshing or something every fraction of a second, you aren't "digital".

Originally posted by Emon

Uh, can you back that up? I've always known that you don't see or process anything at a fixed rate, you don't see in frames, it's all just constant streams. Your eyes aren't refreshing or something every fraction of a second, you aren't "digital".

I am a physical therapist, and we went through the basic neuroscience, which includes the structure and functions of the various cranial nerves, including the optic nerve, in order for us to gain an understanding of the rehabilitation procesess when working with ppl who have stroke, MS, Parksinsons, Guillan Barre syndrome etc.......

Our eyes are in fact 'refreshing' !! The optic nerve especially must work in that way because it has to :

1) relay info to the brain about light intensity and focus/perspective

2) The brain receives this info, and sends back stimuli to the muscles in the eye/eyelids/brow and face to work at an appropriate level to achieve a particular task..... eg. when you are in a bright room you usually squint(ie, closing eyelids etc). if you are looking for something in a bright room the brain will also need to adjust the focus of you eyes to accomodate all this....tricky stuff !!)

It is natural therefore for the brain to be receiving input and responding with appropriate output at an very quick rate --- this is called "gain" (input over output) There is a limit to this gain, where basically the amount of visual input received can only be dealt with at a certain rate.....hence the "gain threshold" which I mentioned was about 150 processess per second..........

**Therefore with regards to watching a monitor, and playing JA, the "fps" of the display will have a direct correlation to the amount of image processes per second that are handled by the brain......where the 150Hz cap still applies.....**

'Digital' is not a relevant comparison. Digital refers to the means which this information is transmitted, and the way it is processed. all 1s and 0s. Off an On. Mode of transfer to the brain is bioelectric(chemical reactions that cause the flow of charged particles- usually charged molecules/ions...)

Visual processing is no way near as efficient as digital, but infinitey more sophisticated.....if ANYONE can come up with a system that will restore the ability to relay this visual info and for the brain to act accordingly, YOU WILL HAVE CURED BLINDNESS FOREVER !!!

Emon are you happy now ?? I can send you references if you are still unsatisfied, do you live next to a medical library ??!!

:p

Thats probably the cleverest question ever asked in the JA forum !

In RPG terms

"JA Forum gains +3 Lore, +3 Wisdom points"

MTFBWYA

if ANYONE can come up with a system that will restore the ability to relay this visual info and for the brain to act accordingly, YOU WILL HAVE CURED BLINDNESS FOREVER !!!

Some guy who lost vision in one eye is working on that, I think he was able to see some "light and dark", but that's about it.

No, that's fine I guess. I don't really care that much. You just have to understand, a lot of people claim to be experts just because they derive their knowledge of science from Star Trek.

Originally posted by Emon

Some guy who lost vision in one eye is working on that, I think he was able to see some "light and dark", but that's about it.

No, that's fine I guess. I don't really care that much. You just have to understand, a lot of people claim to be experts just because they derive their knowledge of science from Star Trek.

I like trek too.......yes fps rates are increased when you invert the tachyon stream emanating from the starboard nacelle ! :p

....whether you are skeptical of the explanation coming from me is up to you....... go ask your local opthamologist !

MTFBWYA

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon Lee is dead but THE CROW lives on, and with fps 90+

yes, I usually ran JA at 1600x1200, bilinear, 32 bit setting,AF, AA down, sync on, DG off, DLs on and got 60 fps. I was quite happy with that as I got crisp, detailed hi rez images at a decent rate

MTFBWYA

Archived