Home

Pirates of the Caribbean

NileQueen

I saw this movie Christmas Day on DVD. It's pretty good.

Johnny Depp is excellent in it. Interesting heavy mascara (I guess that is pirate-like, although the other pirates didn't look that way :p) and odd manner of swaggering, but I guess that is a piratorial exaggeration. He is definitely a character. Orlando Bloom is a blacksmith crafting fine swords. Geoffrey Rush (Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth) is great as the mutineering first mate of the Black Pearl.

There are some neat special effects (Industrial Light and Magic - The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Scorpion King, etc.) when some of the pirates move in and out of the moonlight, changing from human to monsters and back...

http://actionadventure.about.com/cs/weeklystories/a/aa070903.htm

A review of the movie at about.com

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/pirates/

Links to previews and clips,"the making of", soundtrack, fan kit, etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont care where this belongs, that was a VERY good movie.

Depp rocks as the ultimate expression of a pirate.

Dare I say I like this better than the last 2 Star Wars movies?

" Iam going to steal this ship and rob and plunder my greasy black guts out." Capt. Jack Sparrow

I got two copies of this DVD for xmas this year! (I only watched one... returned the other to WalMart).

I'm planning to watch it again this week... wonderful movie. Johnny Depp is the only actor that could make that much eye-liner a believable character trait. Well... Pamela Anderson could too, I suppose.

Great effect his character... the perpetual drunken swagger... off-key humor...

Still, I think this post will get better replies in the Swamp. It's more of a Swamp-type thread.

Originally posted by NileQueen

(Industrial Light and Magic - The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Scorpion King, etc.)

And Star Wars! And Jurassic Park!

sorry, just had to point that out ;)

anyways, I thought it was a great movie. And when I was done watching it I realised how... Piratey it was. :p

But, ya, they did a great job on it :thumbsup:

Ya Johnny Depp was really good in it "Let this be known as the day you almost cought Captain Jack Sparrow" :p

and they announced a remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in wich Johnny Depp plays Willy Wonka, I think he's perfect for the part after seeing Pirates of the Carribean. They've also announced Pirates of the Carribean II.

Its not like i'm some sort of freaky Johnny Depp fanatic, I was just giving some news, savvy? ;)

Originally posted by IG-64

Ya Johnny Depp was really good in it "Let this be known as the day you almost cought Captain Jack Sparrow" :p

and they announced a remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in wich Johnny Depp plays Willy Wonka, I think he's perfect for the part after seeing Pirates of the Carribean. They've also announced Pirates of the Carribean II.

Its not like i'm some sort of freaky Johnny Depp fanatic, I was just giving some news, savvy? ;)

ugh, typical disney move, they make something successful and suddenly it requires 42 sequels to it. I'll still see pirates 2 just because pirates is the best movie ever. But if they screw up as bad as I think they will, i'm gonna puke.

Though i am excited about the wonka remake.

They must've had to douse Depp in makeup to give him that dark skin. I mean hes normally as pale as a ghost! I wouldn't mind a second Pirates of the Carribbean. But it would've been cooler if they had ended it different.

For instance, If instead of Jack going back onto the ship, Will and Jack become the captain and first mate of the Black Pearl. But, O well.

Originally posted by Redwing

I don't particularly care about the Pirates' special effects, even though they were neat. But I'm all about the Johnny Depp lurve ^_~

huh?

I have no idea what you just said.

.....anyways.....I got the dvd for christmas.

I must have watched it like 30 times before I put it down heh.

i love the movie as well...althought i did wait to see it on DVD but i bought it before seeing it. I was pleasently surprised i must say.

"where's all the rum"

"but did ya have to burn the rum"

IMO Jack acts that way cuz he got so smashed while he was on the island that he still aint sober yet.

MysticSpade:

IMO Jack acts that way cuz he got so smashed while he was on the island that he still aint sober yet.

Curiously though, he is quick-witted and quick to take action...

I have Johnny Depp's autographed picture. He was good in Chocolat and From Hell, but I really didn't like Edward Scissorhands or Sleepy Hollow

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainment/film/biographies/johnny_depp_biog.html

"Instead, just as he had based his[Johnny Depp's] Chocolat character on Shane MacGowan, so he conjured Sparrow from the crumbling but still caustic remains of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. "

Captain Jack Sparrow inspired by Keith Richards? :p

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

HEY! It figures that the one time someone agrees with me around here, it would be about something like that...

You should have known I would agree with that ;)

Is anyone else as worried about pirates 2 as much as me? I mean seriously, let's take a look at all the disney sequels. How crappy are they? REALLY crappy.

Archived