Home

dark/light mastery

Vestril

Maybe I just need to level up my reading skills...but I couldn't find any specifics on what said mastery gains you exactly, all I could find was 'gain special abilities unique to their algnment and class.' I never got light mastery (I dabbled in the dark side a few too many times I guess) last time through, but this time Im just off Dantooine and I managed it. Can anyone elaborate--for both sides?

Originally posted by SithTrooper

Not sure about the light, but when you head towards Dark Mastery. You character grows pale and I think you get tattoos. And also you eyes go really weird. Hope I helped.

thanks for the help :) I had noticed the physical changes and the looks, and I didn't see anything similar when I went to the light, but I was under the impression that there were powers or feats that were associated with it--it actually creates a symbol in my character states bar.

okay. light side mastery decreases the cost of using light side force powers. it allows you to use items restricted to the light side. dark side mastery does the same thing except for the dark side. i think the last i looked lifght side mastery decreased the cost of lightside force powers by 5. so it does have some benefit.

the dark side will change your appearance as the dark side of the force is well-known for causing your body to decay away. the lightside causes no significant change, i guess, except for those who began with the darkside. it does make a change in your stance and that's it.

Yeah, I wanna know about this too... First time trough KOTOR I was a neutral guy, now on my second playtough, I'm a total badass badguy :cool: Dark Side maxed out and the moment I got my last DS points, I got a symbol in the bar to the right of your player image (when you press "p", the screen where you can see the stats of your attributes). It's a red circle with a symbol in it or something, I'll post a screeny later.

Is this thing important? I was hoping for bonus feats or extra strength multipliers or whatever, but I haven't noticed anything!

no unfortunately for being maximum darkside (i just love the fire burning in the background on the character screen) you get nothing but altered appearance, reduced darkside powers, use of exclusive darkside artifacts, and the kickass sith underwear :D

but that's really enough I guess... I mean, force storm for 20 points instead of 30? if you play as a jedi consular you know this means total devastation of the enemy forces...

Taken from the manual:

Alignment score

0(Dark): LS power cost:+75% DS power cost:-50%

1-10: LS power cost:+50% DS power cost:-30%

11-20: LS power cost:+50% DS power cost:-20%

21-30: LS power cost:+25% DS power cost:-15%

31-40: LS power cost:+25% DS power cost:-10%

41-60: LS power cost:n/a DS power cost:n/a

61-70: LS power cost:-10% DS power cost:+25%

71-80: LS power cost:-15% DS power cost:+25%

81-90: LS power cost:-20% DS power cost:+50%

91-99: LS power cost:-30% DS power cost:+50%

100(Light): LS force power:-50% DS force power:+75%

That's it :D

yeah, all the rest is merely a matter of ethics. :) if you're a lowlife bastard with no conscience and you don't mind your body rotting away and things eventually falling off, then you can be darkside and get your cool glazed over eyes(which you could probably achieve with contacts or an overdose of acid anyway) :D

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I have something else from light side mastery. All the effects that give sustained benefits to me or my party members last longer, a LOT longer. I have had the same usage of Master Speed going for several minutes now, and everyone in the party is close to 20 minutes into the same usage of Improved Energy Resistance. Force Immunity lasts a long long time too. I haven't timed it yet, but it seems to be roughly 10 (TEN) times as long as before. This just started once I hit the light side mastery bonus, so I am sure it's tied to it.

Well then you must be very lucky,because none of my force powers lasted longer at all when I maxed out on the light side.

Also,I noticed,there is a symbol at my party screen,that looked a bit like the Circlet of Saresh(I mean,it's an effect,but it's design looks like the Circlet).What effect is that?I'm a Jedi Guardian.

Perhaps I'm mistaken and just had more attribute 'upping' items on me than I thought, but it seems that LS mastery gives you plus 3 or 4 to both strength and wisdom. I'm pretty sure it does, cause I lost LS mastery part way through(and regained it later) and my attributes were lower than when I had the LS mastery.

If you want to check it out, just take all your items off and see if the str and wis att's are green or not.

I haven't gone through to DS mastery yet.

Hope this helps.

Perhaps I'm mistaken and just had more attribute 'upping' items on me than I thought, but it seems that LS mastery gives you plus 3 or 4 to both strength and wisdom. I'm pretty sure it does, cause I lost LS mastery part way through(and regained it later) and my attributes were lower than when I had the LS mastery.

If you want to check it out, just take all your items off and see if the str and wis att's are green or not.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

people for GOD'S SAKE.....and my own.....and everyone else's. only hit the d@mn submit reply button once. then exercise alittle thing called patience and wait for it to post. don't hit the submit button over and over again. please delete your extra posts.

and no there is no stat gains for mastery of either side. there is only a point reduction for whichever alignment you master and it's corresponding powers.

and there is a little emblem, or symbol, for ls mastery. i assume there is one for ds as well. just haven't gone through ds yet. the lightside mastery symbol to me looks like the symbol for the republic seen on the flags etc at the embassy on manaan.

Hey I think there must be more to it! You see, when I mastered the DS, I got this symbol too (look at it here), it's located in the upper right corner of the picture of your character.

Now when I had master speed turned on, I looked at this screen again, and I noticed that beneath the DS symbol, there was a symbol for master speed!! That means that all activated forcepowers are shown in the right bar (I allways wondered where it was for). So my guess is that when you master either side of the force, you get an extra allways-on forcepower :) But now I have to find out what it does :(

it is NOT an extra forcepower. it IS a symbol that IS in your stat slot on your character screen. but the ONLY thing the symbol is for is to show that you have mastered that particular alignment. yes the symbol is where you say it is. but it is NOT a power. it is merely to show that you have mastered either the light side or the dark side and that gaining points for the lightside, if that's what you mastered will now do nothing more as you have maxed that particular alignment our if that was the alignment you chose. same with the darkside. if you would just read your manual or even a strategy guide for all i care you would know that there is nothing more to mastery than the reduction of the cost of forcepoints it takes to use powers from your particular alignment. if you mastered the lightside, it costs less to use lightside powers. that is the ONLY thing mastery does people.

Read the manual?? Says someone who didn't know how to flourish his weapon :D :D :p

But hey, they could've put this in KotOR without mentioning it in the manual. I mean it's pretty strange that they put it there... Why not just put it in the flames behind your character? But I gotta admit I didn't notice any change after mastering the Dark side :( Too bad, it would've been cool to have some sort of reward, maybe have all ppl tremble with fear when they see you and have them calling you "Lord" :):D

well you got me there. sadly enough i have polayed this game for nearly two months without knowing how to flourish my weapon. in fact i didn't even know of the feature's existence. :(

but yeah i would have expected a little more from an in-game feature that is actually fairly difficult to achieve. you have to try pretty hard to master an alignment. (except for those of you playing the ds, then the answers are obvious and easy:)) so you would expect them to give you alittle more than forcepoint cost reduction. but sadly enough, that's all there is.

I seem to have confirmed the power duration thing is a bug. It's inconsistent. It doesn't happen all the time, and doesn't even always affect the entire party. I have had it fade from two characters and hang on the third. Oh well, it's still beneficial, except in one spot where a too-long Master Speed messed up where I had to make some really precise movement.

this thread went on way too long...I actually knew about the reduced cost thing, I was just wondering if it gave any other bonuses, because the manual implied (to my thinking) that it did...clearly it doesn't, but it would be nice if it gave access to some kind of 'special' light/dark power.

Nah it didn't went on for too long... Cause I really hate it if there's nothing else to it :( I want force destruction from JK1 or something for the darkside... And maybe for the lightside a "force-turn-to-the-lightside-for-36-seconds" ;) But onfortunately this is, apparently, not the case :(

Archived