Home

Origin of "Lamer"

sup3rsnail

[/rant] Why, Oh, WHY, Is every god damn server filled with people screaming "DUHH YOU LAM33rR!!11 I HAD CHAT UP WTFD!!!11 -vote kick-"

Please someone enlighten me! WHERE THE F**K DID LAMER COME FROM?![rant]

:mad: It's getting sickening. I'd like to be informed where it came from. and How it came to be...Then maybe I'll be nicer to these dumb****s. :o

I believe the term first attained widespread usage in the Quake community (circa 1996), to refer to actions some people considered annoying or borderline "cheating."

These included "camping" (waiting around in a certain area, to hog a certain weapon or powerup, to snipe at unwary players or to kill players seconds after they respawned by camping spawn positions).

"LPB's" (ie: "Low Ping Bastards"). These were players thought to have an unfair advantage in the game, due to the fact that they possessed high speed internet connections (less commonly available and more expensive at the time than they are now).

Likewise the term "HPB's" was coined to refer to people who's latency/ping was so high that it interfered with the normal flow of the game (often poor AOL users).

"Spawn Killing" (camping respawn areas to get kills, see "camping" above).

Type-killing aka Chatkilling: killing a player while they are "talking" in the game instead of fighting. While this was often called "Lame" it was also acknowledged that people who chat and get killed are also at fault. Remember to that back in those days games didn't have any indication that a person was typing (chat bubbles in FPS's didn't become common until Quake3's release in 1999).

Other things that people yelled "lame" at were using one weapon (ie: the Rocket Launcher) that was thought to be the most powerful (this promoted the mod "rocket arena" to be made, so that people all spawned with the same weapon(s) and therefore no excuse); hogging various powerups, and doing annoying things in team games (ie: not playing as a team, hiding with the flag, attack teammates); excessive whining and profanity, etc.

Finally, "lame" could also refer to the use of "hacks" (game exploiting cheats) such as aim bots, full bright, wall hacks and scripted moves.

Of course widespread paranoia and the sore-loser mentality accompanied many of these. So that people who lacked the ability to lose gracefully could always try to save face by accusing others of being "lame" or "lamers."

In short "Lame" came to mean anything that was considered annoying or bad in the game, and came to be a generic insult. People accused of laming were termed "lamers" which lead to the humorous slang term "lamas."

Since many consider Quake as the "foundation" of internet FPS gaming, its not surprising that the conventions of that old community continue to influence subsequent games, even if they have no direct ties to the Quake franchise (all JK2/JA have in common with it are the base engines they use).

Originally posted by Kurgan

I believe the term first attained widespread usage in the Quake community (circa 1996), to refer to actions some people considered annoying or borderline "cheating."

These included "camping" (waiting around in a certain area, to hog a certain weapon or powerup, to snipe at unwary players or to kill players seconds after they respawned by camping spawn positions).

"LPB's" (ie: "Low Ping Bastards"). These were players thought to have an unfair advantage in the game, due to the fact that they possessed high speed internet connections (less commonly available and more expensive at the time than they are now).

Likewise the term "HPB's" was coined to refer to people who's latency/ping was so high that it interfered with the normal flow of the game (often poor AOL users).

"Spawn Killing" (camping respawn areas to get kills, see "camping" above).

Type-killing aka Chatkilling: killing a player while they are "talking" in the game instead of fighting. While this was often called "Lame" it was also acknowledged that people who chat and get killed are also at fault. Remember to that back in those days games didn't have any indication that a person was typing (chat bubbles in FPS's didn't become common until Quake3's release in 1999).

Other things that people yelled "lame" at were using one weapon (ie: the Rocket Launcher) that was thought to be the most powerful (this promoted the mod "rocket arena" to be made, so that people all spawned with the same weapon(s) and therefore no excuse); hogging various powerups, and doing annoying things in team games (ie: not playing as a team, hiding with the flag, attack teammates); excessive whining and profanity, etc.

Finally, "lame" could also refer to the use of "hacks" (game exploiting cheats) such as aim bots, full bright, wall hacks and scripted moves.

Of course widespread paranoia and the sore-loser mentality accompanied many of these. So that people who lacked the ability to lose gracefully could always try to save face by accusing others of being "lame" or "lamers."

In short "Lame" came to mean anything that was considered annoying or bad in the game, and came to be a generic insult. People accused of laming were termed "lamers" which lead to the humorous slang term "lamas."

Since many consider Quake as the "foundation" of internet FPS gaming, its not surprising that the conventions of that old community continue to influence subsequent games, even if they have no direct ties to the Quake franchise (all JK2/JA have in common with it are the base engines they use).

:eek: ...no comment

LOL Kurgan!

Myself I do never scream the word "lamer" anywhere, even if I do get killed in my clanserver (where we have certain rules). I just tell them to stop it, or I simply freeze them and warn them. Just whining with that word shows how childish a person is, and can also reveal the persons age. The little whiny kids always go "lamer!".

Originally posted by IG-64

Have you ever considered working for the history channel, Kurgan?

:p

LMAO

I can just see the K man, wearing a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, a bow tie and smoking a pipe.....

"today we will be discussing how one's choice of avatar will promote fear in posters all over the world.....this will be followed by display of the bong used by the id software crew during the process of making Doom"

jk1 probably didn't have lamers, because you can't really chat kill, there is no chat box. And everyone has the same moves, just some people used them better than others. There weren't honor folks. There were mostly a large number off ffa nf saberists, ff saberists. Then there is the elite community,.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

LMAO

I can just see the K man, wearing a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, a bow tie and smoking a pipe.....

"today we will be discussing how one's choice of avatar will promote fear in posters all over the world.....this will be followed by display of the bong used by the id software crew during the process of making Doom"

:lol:

people just dont like others that are better than them because they can sneak around unseen or get to the best sniper spots

ive found that JA has become alot more accepting than a few months ago when everyone used singles cuz they didnt want to be called a noob for using a staff but now almost everyone uses duel or staff

the only thing i really consider laming is someone lift laming or shield whoring and running away

siege also seems to have died

its almost impossible to find a good siege server anymore but ive found a good power duel server that has problems with 'smileys' and if you use that server youll know what im talking about:)

I just left the jk3files server.

There was most idiotic assf**cks there.

To name a few : Mother, Velux, Lightning, and The Enigma.

All gang-raping me for being a newb.

We were playing on that bonus map with the floor that can be turned off.

Mother would keep gripping people and throwing them in, AND THEY WOULD'VE JUST SPAWNED!

While Lightning would be controlling the floor. Whenever Mother gripped them over it, Lightning would open up.

Velux was just being an asshole. Since aparently the JK3Files server enforces no chat kill, saber down stuff.

He would just be killing everyone who just spawned or are typing.

The Enigma kept using that THROWING debug thing

Annoying the f*ck out of everyone

And why the hell wasn't an admin there?!?!!?!?

God. I regret buying Jedi Academy...

Archived