Home

The Truth about Admin Mods...

zERoCooL2479

Originally posted by AsoAron

Define "laming" :) If the server should kick everyone who attacks unarmed players/saber down, it might be a bit TOO sensitive...

No, I was kinda thinking a system similar to the DCMod. Any "lame" kills are reported at the top of the screen, like it says Luke Skywalker was SABER DOWN killed by Padawan. This leaves no question over who might have "lamed", therefore making the admin's job less stressful. Anyone who makes "lame" kills is given an automatic "warning message" through ampsay, and after a certain amout of "lames", the "lamer" is auto-kicked. Also, disables the use of interactive Force powers while your lightsaber is turned off.

Yeah yeah, laming is fictional, but some servers are not going to allow "laming". Just accept that people have changed the game.

Originally posted by AsoAron

Teleport will probably not be removed ;) Most people value this command a lot, since it can be used for teleporting to secret rooms, stuff like that.

Your idea of /amtele <nickname> is nice though :)

Well there's always hope. cHoSeN oNe dropped most of his commands when he transfered to Jedi Academy, there's always room for changes. Although teleport can often be used by admins for abuse. Like if they're just about to die, they could quickly go in their console and scroll through previously excecuted commands and teleport out of harm's way. Also, I've seen admins teleport up to a high point on the map and snipe or shoot rockets. As soon as you'd Force pull them down, they'd teleport right back up.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TK8252MJL

I'd like to add some. :D

-Profanity filter in chat and names.

-Anti-laming/auto-admin.

Actually TK if C1 would put in a auto-admin etc he'd be using things of other mods w/o permission and all that stuff. And this thread here is to get lost from those doing it with him

The reason all admin mods have same commands is obvious, Mars and C1 came up with brilliant cmds, which would strike the others "goddamn saddam" and making those cmds "required cmds" in order for them to survive..With all the copying hell broke lose (actually it did now)

How about some united admin mod? The perfect mod which would take burdens away from the coders (since they work together, less effort for the creater of new cmds since he aint alone, less for the copyers since it would be there)..And perfectly tuned to the community.. No? well at least i tried

Oh and TK the push thingy is client side, so it can't be put in a server-side unpure mod if you don't want the client to have to download it.

Well I think its really sad for C1 that he puts so many effort in his mod and then others just copy it without even crediting.

Maybe Slider has some good points too but he doesnt seem to be aware how frustrating it can be for someone else if you just copy what took him so many effort, most problably he wouldnt like it if others did that to him (if he makes something original where he has put many many effort in, that is).

Maybe some commands belong in all admin mods but I think the least he could have done was asking C1 if he could use his mod/cmds and ofcourse crediting him!

Nobody has mentioned this yet but I actually hope you two can sort this out together, that might be better for everyone, at least try to come to an agreement I'd say.

Anyway I will be using JAR mod and thats also the mod I recommend to others. Can't wait for V1.3 :D.

Well there's always hope. cHoSeN oNe dropped most of his commands when he transfered to Jedi Academy, there's always room for changes. Although teleport can often be used by admins for abuse. Like if they're just about to die, they could quickly go in their console and scroll through previously excecuted commands and teleport out of harm's way. Also, I've seen admins teleport up to a high point on the map and snipe or shoot rockets. As soon as you'd Force pull them down, they'd teleport right back up

You can disable certain commands with g_mAdminCommands and g_mKnightCommands, including teleport :)

Well, I've now used Xmod, JA+1.4 and one of the Omni mod, as well as JA:Reloaded. Even though the majority of my clan wants me to use JA+1.4 (becuase of emotes) I'd have to say JA:Reloaded has been my favority mod thus far. Now I'm no coder, so as far as the technical side of things, I have no idea. But JA:Reloaded seems to be the most stable, user friendly mod out there. My clan has been using C1's mod for JK2 for a very long time now. We are all very impressed with his work. So I'll be changing my JA mod to JA:Reloaded1.3 when it's released. I'm behind you all the way C1. Plagerism(sp?) is just plain wrong. As a mapper, I can sorta empathyse with how it would feel. All that work, to see someone else take credit for it. Keep up the good work C1. Myself, and JSA are joining the revolution!!!.:D

Anti laming would cause problems. People would just turn off sabers right before they die so the kill would be considered a lamed kill. It would also promote more people to walk around saber off. Also, if kick is enabled a bunch of people prob ably would run around with saber off kicking not to kill but to induce others to kill them with saber to get a lamed kill.

The things I see in JAR, I see in other mods in other games so it's not like any ground breaking revolutionary concept is being developed and stolen here.

Vulcan's was not the first admin mod in gaming nor was it the first to feature sub admin levels and "admin powers" like slap etc.

There were 326387263871263812763812638 admin mods for JO and to be honest, the only difference I saw in them was this one could let the admin turn players into polar bears, that one let the admin turn them into exploding frogs, etc.

This one you sleep with XYZ_command, that one you sleep with ABC_command.

Same thing over and over in all of them and the same things I see in other mods like shrub for RTCW or w/e in this or that game.

Things you stole from Vulcanus:

2)amsay

3)ampsay

4)amsilence/unsilence

5)amslap

6)amrename

8)amstatus

9)amlogin

10)motd/motdtime

11)broadcast/target/all messages for admin commands

12)aminfo

These have all been done time and time again in other games and other admin mods, long before I saw it done in JO/VAM so if you’re going to claim he ripped you guys off, where did you guys get it from?

You're saying you guys invented this stuff?

You're saying I never saw it in RTCW or other games before I saw it in JK2?

:rolleyes:

Now looking at JA, =X= mod's very first (and most requested feature) goal was to reintroduce the JO style flip kick.

Are all the other mods now doing it?

Sure, but I don't see Hex crying that "kicks are mine you can't do it in your mod!"

It's this way in any game with these mods, one person puts one out, 87484794874984 clones pop up with a few new features.

And as for looking for sympathy for what is going on now? Well, your mod and it's hybrids caused a tremendous amount of damage to the Outcast community with the admin punishment commands.

not to mention the way you never took any responsibility for the damage they were causing or even admitted it publicly *until Jedi Academy came out when the player backlash of the damage they caused had reached a breaking point.

Sorry guy, I really can't say I feel the least bit sorry for you.

If these people are ripping off stuff that you never should have put out in the first place, like they say, you made your bed... you know the rest.

And I really think that is what this boils down to for you.

In Outcast your mod had just as many if not more “clones” than it does now, but I don’t recall seeing any posts of this nature from you on here back then.

But now that you have removed most of the punishment stuff, looking at the server list in ASE, I’m seeing the numbers of JA+ servers and JAR servers being quite close (although yours still does outnumber his).

Could it be you know that those commands are what drew people to your mod in such overwhelmingly droves and now that another mod is doing it and yours is not, you don’t have as much of a hold on the “most popular admin mod” as you once did?

I think so.

Great, if some specific line of code was stolen, say that and stick with it.

But don't generalize and try to b.s. people by saying "he stole slap/easy kicking-banning/player id info/motd/general broadcast/w/e" because those things have been around in admin mods before Jedi Outcast was even released.

so? he cannot claim that it is his, as all this belongs to raven/la in the first place. hell they can claim ownership of your mod or any creation if they want to.

HALFLIFE had admin mods with slap, sleep, explode, etc. nobody cares seriously.

Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

Anti laming would cause problems. People would just turn off sabers right before they die so the kill would be considered a lamed kill. It would also promote more people to walk around saber off. Also, if kick is enabled a bunch of people prob ably would run around with saber off kicking not to kill but to induce others to kill them with saber to get a lamed kill.

It's much more complicated. It's not instant saber off invulnerability. A system like xMod's would be nice, where you have to stay still with saber off for x amount of seconds. But the main problem with xMod is that you can't move when you have invulnerability. Once you move, you're back in the game.

Time for me to reply here CHOSEN.

Although FRAGROCK uses your MODS...and they are great MODS I do not like all of your dam whining!! Freakin' grow up!! Where in the hell do you get off telling people that this MOD is all your ideas? Did the game itself not already come with all the animations to do the emotes? And who did those animations? You? I don't think so!! So all you did was MOD(ify) the game. And so do other MODDERS. Instead of rotting in front of that dam screen why dont you go outside in the sun. That blue skin could use some color!!

In this world it's survival of the fittest. You may not like it but thats just how nature works. Even in our society. Yes life isn't fair and that's just too dam bad isn't it? I don't know why jk2files or the other sites don't take off copied/plaguerised files. There must be a reason why they don't. Do ANY rules state anything about submitting copied/stolen files? I think they do but nothing is done about it. So why jk2files or pcgamemods has those rules is beyond me when they are broken on a daily basis!

So what is it CHOSEN? What EXACTLY are you trying to accomplish here? What is the END goal here? More whining? I'm a nobody in front of this screen until I make a program that people will love. And I will get all the attention I need that I never got before?

No, I was kinda thinking a system similar to the DCMod. Any "lame" kills are reported at the top of the screen, like it says Luke Skywalker was SABER DOWN killed by Padawan.

Saber down? What a silly MOD!! Ever heard of accidents? I suppose this MOD spams the hell out of the console in a MAD FFA huh?

Anyhow people, great ideas don't all come from one MIND. It USUALLY takes several. Many ideas grow and expand to even greater ones because people are NEVER satisfied with the ORIGINAL.

Again I will post about the general use of ADMIN MODS even though it doesn't need to be here. Why do you need an Admin MOD? Because people/players LOVE to whine. I have admined for longer than 9 months in the past. It sucked most of the time except when it was NEW to me. When people FINALLY start realizing that it's just a game there wont be so much whining. So this is where the MOD comes in. Now swearing/profanity is another situation. I do agree that should be sensored. But here we are again. What other game is there that has so many MODS? Especially concerning CHAT KILL? You chat in CS and you are DEAD!! Plain and simple. And swearing ONLINE? You might as well make 3000 MODS to cover all the other ONLINE games. Nevermind forums and the freedom of the internet itself. Okay now I'm done rambling......

CHOSEN Yes it sucks that your work has been used by another MODDER. So..........SUCK IT UP AND MOVE ON!!

i want to speak about all rumors that choosen one say on me.....

i never hide that some of the admin cmd are coming from idea contains in his work for another game called JK2..... that is why i kept all admin cmd name exactly like those of his JK2 mod

i never stole code

i have completly all coded by myself

and my mod contains a lot of features that his mod does not have.....

i am not copying his idea from his JK2 game

FOr the admin part of my work i needed admin features that he has developped in this mod like himself has taken the idea of admin gun in the JK2 mod omnimod

Several admin featrures became a standard in admin mod and we could find them in every mod....

i used also some of those ideas....

but my mod contains also very unique features never seen in other mod and not only in the admin part of my mod....

let 's see the pretty uniq features i just added to the 1.5b version

http://www.pcgamemods.com/3668/

Features in 1.5b version:

- new admin cmd ammindtrick to make all players be invisible for one player. the cmd comes also with cvar displayed msgs

and an admin gun thats was added in the admin.cfg file.

- new admin cmd amtelemark that marks a point of the map..... then use /amtele without any arguments to teleport yourself to

this point of the map..... ideal to come back to point for exemple when u duel sith someone.

- all ClientNum arguments can now also be partial player name.

- you can now type the admin cmds in rcon.

- new server cvar jp_allowJetpack that allow player to use /jetpack cmd that turns on/off jetpack

(works only if gametype is not CTF or SIEGE)

- added client cmd /saber that changes your saber without respawn needed....

you can also change your saber in your menu and then type /saber without arguments to update your saber.....

saber1 value and saber2 are those of saber names defined in the .sab files of your pk3 files.

for example /saber dual_1 for MAUL DUAL SABER

/saber cmd doesn't work during a duel

Features in 1.5 version:

- (Clan speak mod) + 2 others speak mods (team and admin)

added new client cmds :say_team_mod, clanpass, clanwhois

see the script chat.cfg that binds those cmds(/exec chat.cfg).

Clan speak Mod enable you to speak with all players of your clan without be read by others players

From other clans.

- clanpass : to log into your clan member group (it is a client side cmd)

- clanwhois : display all players logged into the same clan as you

- say_team_mod : = normal : the use of the say_team cmd send messages to your team

= clan : the use of the say_team cmd send messages to all players logged into the same clan as you

they have the same clanpass

= admin : send messages to all admins

- new emots : amdie, amkneel, amfinishinghim

- added the possibility to define also (like for knight admin )the allowed admin cmds of council members with

cvar jp_councilAllowedCMD

- added client side cmd toggle_amthrow : turn on/off the possibility for other players to amthrow you.

- free mouse look when stick a wall (need g_debugMelee 1 on server cvar)

- allow black names => use the ^0 before a letter

- new admin cmds : amrename, amlockteam, amforceteam and a server cvar jp_teamLock that control the locked teams

- MAX_VEHICLES increased up to 32 (previous value was 16) ideal for the maps with a lot of vehicles.

- new rcon cmd : admToggle to allow/disallow and admin cmd for council or kight. It changes automatically the server cvar

jp_councilAllowedCMD and jp_knightAllowedCMD. So adding value bit is not annoying any more :)

- take care of the pb of "Info string length exceeded" error server message due to too many "sets" or "set" cmd in your server.cfg

use only "seta" cmd to prevent your server from crash.

see the server.cfg provided with the mod

I honestly feel that xmod is the best mod out right now and Hex is the most willing of all admin mod authors to listen to the community/server ops and in such has developed an admin mod that gives the widest range of options.

JA+ crashes my server.

JA Reloaded, won't even run. Surprising to me since a lot of people say it's the easiest one to use.

I am not speaking ill of JA+ or JAR, but since they won't run at all on my server, that removes them from the loop for me.

All this whining about who's work is who's just turns me off to them even further.

UJ hit the nail on the head, no doubt.

I'm not trying to say the guy should not be pissed if some very specific thing he made for his mod was directly ripped and passed off as another’s work, let's make sure that is clear.

But my point was/is, him coming here and trying to lay claim to a lot of basic admin mod concepts that have been around far longer than his mod has and then trying to start a "boycott" because there are other mods using these basic universal concepts, just as his mod/VAM borrowed them from the admin mods that predated Jedi Outcast, that’s just plain arrogance and hypocrisy.

Not to mention that there were scores of admin mods almost identical to his in Outcast, but I never once saw any “boycott” threads made by him (could this be due to the fact that at the time his mod was far more popular then the others, but that is not the case anymore?)

This thread was nothing more than a cheap ploy to try and get a better hold on his little "most popular Jedi Mod" crown.

And as I have said all along, he does not give a damn what he did/does to the community with his mod so long as he can say "I'm the author of the most popular mod for Jedi Outcast/Academy".

Originally posted by lauser

I suppose this MOD spams the hell out of the console in a MAD FFA huh?

No, because whenever it would normally say something like Luke Skywalker was sabered by Padawan, if the kill was considered to be "laming", it would just say Luke Skywalker was SABER DOWN killed by Padawan. No extra spamming.

Although that's the feature in DCMod, I'm sure cHoSeN oNe can put his mind to work and get an even better way. :)

Okay thanks TK.

Anyhow in reviewing the other posts regarding abusive ADMIN situation......So what? Who cares.....You get abused? I'm sure you will be scarred for life!! I mean JEEZUZ!! WTH? Lets get away from all that abusive comment crap! What is that a law now? PLLEEEEEAASSE... I mean Admining is friggin BABYSITTING in my book....Thank GAWD I don't have to do that anymore!!

Originally posted by lauser

Okay thanks TK.

Anyhow in reviewing the other posts regarding abusive ADMIN situation......So what? Who cares.....You get abused? I'm sure you will be scarred for life!! I mean JEEZUZ!! WTH? Lets get away from all that abusive comment crap! What is that a law now? PLLEEEEEAASSE... I mean Admining is friggin BABYSITTING in my book....Thank GAWD I don't have to do that anymore!!

The reason people care about it is due to what it (the mods and the punishment stuff) did in the past and many people are trying to prevent the same fiasco from happening twice.

It drove an incredibly large number of players out of the game and greatly reduced the size of the numbers of players playing at any given time.

Don't get me wrong, you are going to have dickhead admins in any game you go to, but when you give those whiny dickheads the ability to "point and click ban" and/or basically use some form of pseudo god mode that has no other purpose than humiliating other players, those players who paid 49.99 for a game and just want to connect to servers and play and have a good time are going to get fed up and quit.

And if it's a common occurrence from server to server like it was for some time, they will just move on to another game where they don't have to put up with childish admins turning them into exploding kangaroos and calling them fags before they get banned on 9 out of 10 servers.

No, because whenever it would normally say something like Luke Skywalker was sabered by Padawan, if the kill was considered to be "laming", it would just say Luke Skywalker was SABER DOWN killed by Padawan. No extra spamming.

Although that's the feature in DCMod, I'm sure cHoSeN oNe can put his mind to work and get an even better way. :)

Wait a damn minute, you're telling me that EXISTS?!

So that picture WASN'T a joke?!

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

those players who paid 49.99 for a game and just want to connect to servers and play and have a good time are going to get fed up and quit

I'm looking in the JA manual but i can't find anywhere where there says something in the lines of "included with the package comes the guarentee that all servers must be set to your preffered settings" it's why there is a SP, MP all depends on the community and Raven can't do much about it. Raven doesn't host servers like other games (Savage) or hires ppl to play on them

Sure you expect a good time with MP, but you paid those 49.99 for the SP, packaging, and MP software, not for the servers

Nice slider, I'll be updating my server to 1.5b

Anyway, you could make up alternatives to sleep/freeze, like /amglue (glue lol) or something like that. Instead of slap, you could PUSH somebody, /ampush. Instead of slay and silence, you could have /amterminate (different effect too) and /amSTFU or similar.

I'm not on anyones side, though, just telling slider how he could make an admin mod without others getting pissed off about it...

I've known Chosen for nearly 2 years, and I can tell you, he really worked his ass off for this mod. He pulled all-nighters, stopped teaching at the JA, and everything, just for the sake of making this mod. Not only that, but Slider was deceptive about getting the source code for the JA Mod... he told Chosen it was for an SoF2 mod.

Obviously, it's illiteracy, theft AND impulsive bull****ting that Slider is guilty of here. :p

Archived