Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

As the title suggests, there are new map coming to JA which is going to set the stage for a new kind of JA: Space Combat. Sure there is KOTOR Flight School, but this new map has many new features not found in ANY maps to date. Check JK.Net for the latest news and keep an eye out!

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral.. I want that ship, not excuses!

Vader.jpg

Prepare for hyperspace!

PS: Although the smacketh was laid down on your's truly during that test, I did get a few good frags in. Notice during the part where it's showcasing the Y-Wing in the upper left-hand corner (in the high quality version) who got blasted and by whom! Awww yeah!

It's more like Rogue Squadron honestly, since there's no resource management.

There's no ion cannons either... just your standard missiles and lasers.

The ships handle very well though and have their own strengths and weaknesses, great job! (you too Manq!)

yea, but Also notice in the High Quality where it again shows off the Y-wing, who without a crosshair and a damaged, ship is able to pick off the TIE;) But the ships, some created by Manquesa, modeller extrordinarre, include the A-Wing, Tie Interceptor, and the Y-Wing. And Like Kurgan said, after getting blasted a few times ;) , the ships handle VERY well and each have their strengths AND weaknesses.

Originally posted by razorace

Oh, that's just great. I just love how people make just some random map, slap some driveable models on there and then call it a new gametype. :p

Nevermind the fact that there's no actual new game mechinics, just some use of the already ingame .veh.

I am equally non plussed... For multiplayer flying frivolity in the SW universe Rebel Strike is pretty darn good, even if it is on the cube....

ASTEROIDS ARE COMING...COOL !! I CAN FINALLY USE THAT BRUCE WILLIS SKIN !!!!

MTFBWYA

Im a KOTOR groupie at the momment, JA is a 2 disc coaster set as far as I'm concerned......

KOTOR ROX !!!

Good looking!

I planned to release a space mod before but I couldn't find the people and second of all I thought that the T2_TRIP size was the maximum.

Anyway I might always put a space mod up after all. In time that is.

Right now I got some ideas for you. See them as advices that make that map even better.

1) I saw you can enter that large asteroid. Now light wouldnt be able to reach in there now could it? Try to make it dark inside, just not to dark, but darker.

2) Try to make fighter NPC's which keep autospawning. This way you don't just make a SP mode but there is also more resistence to shoot at in MP. Make 2 versions to be sure that low end servers/pc's can play the one without the npc's if they wish.

3) Add more ships in time. T-Wing, R-41, Millenium Falcom, Slave 1, Jedi Starfighter, Naboo Starfighter etc. They would make the mission even more fun and balance those ships well. KOTOR has the what I like to call the "rooftop" ship or "uber" ship with smart mines that kill everything making players ignore most other ships. Prevent that from happening for the sake of the JA flight fan.

4) Don't stay with just this map, people want too see more for sure! Make a Deathstar MK. II run (:deathii: <- that one ;)) in example. But thats not the case here.

5) Capital ships could be nice. Imagine a Correlian Corvette in the middle. Might be standing still using deadly turrets. Some shots might break it in pieces leaving debris which can be shot and destroyed too.

6) Make some activity in the hangars. Some droids passing by or running pilots wouldnt be bad (just an idea).

Originally posted by Bishop3560

...I saw you can enter that large asteroid. Now light wouldnt be able to reach in there now could it? Try to make it dark inside, just not to dark, but darker....

how about we make it entirely dark inside, but with dynamic glow the lights from the ship will illuminate it when you enter?

Originally posted by Master William

Whoa, looks awesome! When will this be released?

When its released. We are currently finishing it up and tweaking the models a little more for balance and accuracy, and just the overall models themselves.

Originally posted by razorace

Oh, that's just great. I just love how people make just some random map, slap some driveable models on there and then call it a new gametype. :p

Nevermind the fact that there's no actual new game mechinics, just some use of the already ingame .veh.

Actually, if you bothered to look at the Trailer, you will notice there is a new Hyperspace effect that HAS NOT been used in any maps or at all until this map. And there are new vehicles that have not been released yet.

And NO, it's not JUST a map. It is a mod. There are new features, not so many that you'll be totally blown away or anything, and if you don't play current flight maps you may not even notice any new features at all. Basically, this is what space combat in JA woulda been like had Raven the time to finish tweaking everything before releasing the game.

For example, there is now a graphic that extrudes from ships when flying (all except yours and it wasn't very noticeable if at all in the demo) that shows you where to shoot, obviously due to movement you don't want to aim at the ship you're shooting, you should aim a bit in front of it's path. This helps with that. Also, there's an alarm that sounds when an asteroid is getting dangerously close to you. etc.

And as Andy said there are a few new vehicles being introduced here as well.

So no, it's not that big a mod that's it's introducing a new gametype or anything or gonna just blow people away with all of the new features. Andy may have gotten a little bit carried away in some of his initial proclamations about the mod but hey, we are trying to generate interest in this thing. But this truly is what a space combat map for JA should be like. I have yet to play a currently released map that matches it or comes even close.

There's all sorts of new little touches and tweaks that make this unique.

For example another one is the radar, it actually shows enemy ships, not just allies (they're color coded)... that are shaped like the ships and show relative positions above and below you. It also shows enemy missiles that are tracking you and approaching asteroids.

Bishop3560: That looks cool, but doesn't the TIE Defender have it's own cloaking device? Wouldn't exactly be fair... but then again....

razorace:

Well it is just a Team FFA, but it's a leap forward from any space map yet made for JA. We're not calling it a new gametype, but the gameplay is definately different than your usual TFFA. ; )

Archived