Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, the Tie Phantom can cloak.

The Tie Defender is just an advanced Fighter with shields, quite some speed and Torpedoes. Like the X-Wing.

Compare it with as a B-wing crossed with an X-Wing and A-Wing.

Oh, ok, thanks. I guess it's been too long since I played Rebel Assault II. ; )

If it were added, the balance would probably have to be tweaked again, because only one of the Imperial ships has shields and only one has missiles.

So one more question then, if the TIE Phantom was a project that was conducted in secret (and we assume destroyed) during the classic trilogy, when was the TIE Defender built and deployed?

I'd like to say that I'm very happy this is coming out, because it was the kind of thing that Raven wanted to release with the game, but didn't due to lack of time to polish it up.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Bishop3560: That looks cool, but doesn't the TIE Defender have it's own cloaking device? Wouldn't exactly be fair... but then again....

No, those were the experimental TIEs in Rebel Assault 2 (I forget their designation). They look cooler than TIE/D's in my opinion, anyways, but hey...

I think the map itself could use more detail and attention. A funny-shaped brush with a rock texture on it can make an asteroid, sure, but how about putting smaller extrusions, craters, etc--details--on each asteroid? The textures could also use some work...and lighting is wierd. In space, you won't have all that even, ambient light. What about space-based structures, containers, stations, probes, mines, things like that? Things to make the map more interesting. And...I have to ask this since it's a first-person shooter...any places to dock, get out, move around? Say, a big space station in the middle?

The ships are sort of balanced like this (this is my opinion): Imperial ships are fast, weak and manuverable in general. Rebel Ships are durable and have more firepower, but are generally bigger and slower. There are exceptions of course...

There's nowhere really to land, once you leave your starting hanger. It's just an asteroid field out in space, so there doesn't need to be any structures or other things in it.

The only "light" logically would be from stars and from the ships themselves (and anything bright and glowy that they fire).

But, remember this is a Star Wars video game... the laws of physics and science can be bent a little in the name of gameplay and coolness.

; )

Now that's not to say that once this is out it won't inspire others to create more high quality space maps, in fact I hope it does. So save those ideas!

Actually the big huge asteroid that you fly through I beleive is being re-textured. And there are several other asteroids that do have much better textures with the craters and all, and they rotate and spin and even have their own health bars.

Yeah, you're in an asteroid belt, but you do start off in a hangar, I do kinda wish there was a way to get back to the hangar as there currently is no way, but it's no big deal really.

lighting and texture fixes to the map is being tweaked though.

Originally posted by Kurgan

The ships are sort of balanced like this (this is my opinion): Imperial ships are fast, weak and manuverable in general. Rebel Ships are durable and have more firepower, but are generally bigger and slower. There are exceptions of course...

There's nowhere really to land, once you leave your starting hanger. It's just an asteroid field out in space, so there doesn't need to be any structures or other things in it.

The only "light" logically would be from stars and from the ships themselves (and anything bright and glowy that they fire).

But, remember this is a Star Wars video game... the laws of physics and science can be bent a little in the name of gameplay and coolness.

; )

Now that's not to say that once this is out it won't inspire others to create more high quality space maps, in fact I hope it does. So save those ideas!

true that, bend the laws a bit!! any way looks cool, when is the eta? in a few months or what?

Seen the trailer, really looks awesome, reminded me of Rogue Squadron which i used to play a lot..but it's too empty indeed, and that would kinda spoil the fun after a while. Why not maps like in rogue squadron? I can give you screenies if you want, that would be awesome and then the y-wings would be a bit stronger with their bombs (since that's the point about y-wings, they're bombers, why the hell put them in a TFFA with only their primary fire :confused: )

Actually, Y-Wings have both laser cannons AND Bombs(well, missiles/torpedoes), although it is more meant for bombing runs than dog fights, but I am sure someone out there can make a map or maps that will make the Y-Wing useful. Most map makers are probably just waiting for the available vehicles so that they can continue their maps or whatever.

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

Seen the trailer, really looks awesome, reminded me of Rogue Squadron which i used to play a lot..but it's too empty indeed, and that would kinda spoil the fun after a while. Why not maps like in rogue squadron? I can give you screenies if you want, that would be awesome and then the y-wings would be a bit stronger with their bombs (since that's the point about y-wings, they're bombers, why the hell put them in a TFFA with only their primary fire :confused: )

Well the Y-wings will and do have more than just primary fire. They won't unfortunately have the bombs, I wanted em, but if you think about it, they'd be useless in space combat unless you can somehow manage to fly above the enemy and get a one in a million shot hitting the person below. It'd be extremely difficult. Also, with the limitations on there only being allowed 2 weapons per vehicle, you can't have a 3rd weapon. And we already got blasters and torpedos on it.

Yeah, i'd love to see more Rogue Squadron like maps. Hopefully people will make, i'll definitely play em.

And as far as the emptiness, yeah it'd be nice to have more to look at, but as we keep saying you are in an asteroid field and we actually had to cut back on the number of asteroids in the field due to constanly getting hit by one and dying, which was getting annoying fast.

And as far as the emptiness, yeah it'd be nice to have more to look at, but as we keep saying you are in an asteroid field and we actually had to cut back on the number of asteroids in the field due to constanly getting hit by one and dying, which was getting annoying fast.

Exactly... I painted many an asteroid with my ship during those early tests, arrrgh!

It looked cool, but it was frustrating. Not only that but more objects = more lag, and more lag = less manuverability, and less manuverability = more crashes. You get the picture.

Actually I was thinking the early "crowded" asteroid fields we had would make a great "single player" (in a multiplayer setting) level.

Say for example some people guiding the Falcon through the field in an ESB-esque scenario (with some people flying, other's gunning).

But for Team FFA it just doesn't flow very well. And as we know, real asteroid fields (well the only one we know well, the Asteroid Belt in our Solar System) are very "empty." ; )

The logical reason for this is that the bigger asteroids collide with each other and are ground to smaller bits in a rather short time.

Originally posted by Bishop3560

3) Add more ships in time. T-Wing, R-41, Millenium Falcom, Slave 1, Jedi Starfighter, Naboo Starfighter etc. They would make the mission even more fun and balance those ships well. KOTOR has the what I like to call the "rooftop" ship or "uber" ship with smart mines that kill everything making players ignore most other ships. Prevent that from happening for the sake of the JA flight fan.

4) Don't stay with just this map, people want too see more for sure! Make a Deathstar MK. II run (:deathii: <- that one ;)) in example. But thats not the case here.

Well, the idea the mappers were going for was a Classic Star Wars look, and the Jedi Star Fighter is only seen in the prequels. Same with the Naboo Starfighter. And the Falcon IS Useable, but it is still very buggy.

Kurgan: The Tie-Defender was constructed before the battle of Endor but because of its expensives it wasn't expended beyond a prototype. (Very effective one too, with these the Imperials would have won the battle of Endor, or so many admirals claimed).

Anyway, update on my Tie/d.

Added:

-more grey colour on the wings to match the cockpit ball.

-ion engines at the back

-blaster cannons at the wingtips

tie-defender-2.jpg

Y-wing would be awesome for siege maps..but then eventually you'd get a multiplayer rogue squadron..which actually isn't so bad. boyo boyo, all these mods in progress, can't wait

Well, it's true... RS fans on the PC have been snubbed since "Battle for Naboo" (in fact everyone but Gamecube owners have missed out on the action).

And yes, I know, RS didn't have online play... the best you can do is split screen 2 player like what was featured in RS III on GC.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Hmmm, I wonder if there is going to be a new definition of "laming" while playing this map:

"OMG OMG OMG, u lamed me!!!!!1111!!!! n00B, don't u no landing gear down = peace!!!!!!11111 OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!"

i doubt it, i am a "honor nerd" and i see nothing that would be put into perspective as laming when your in a ship, i mean the ship IS a weapon already so you're armed and, that means it wont be laming

Hey Bishop, I got your PM, nice model there. impressive. Anyway, ultimately it wouldn't be up to me what get's put in, though I have a feeling if it were used, i'd be the one that'd have to get it working in game and adding all the tags and what not. More work!! :mad: We'll see though man, don't wanna promise anything yet or deny anything yet.

Originally posted by Manquesa

And NO, it's not JUST a map. It is a mod. There are new features, not so many that you'll be totally blown away or anything, and if you don't play current flight maps you may not even notice any new features at all. Basically, this is what space combat in JA woulda been like had Raven the time to finish tweaking everything before releasing the game.

For example, there is now a graphic that extrudes from ships when flying (all except yours and it wasn't very noticeable if at all in the demo) that shows you where to shoot, obviously due to movement you don't want to aim at the ship you're shooting, you should aim a bit in front of it's path. This helps with that. Also, there's an alarm that sounds when an asteroid is getting dangerously close to you. etc.

And as Andy said there are a few new vehicles being introduced here as well.

So no, it's not that big a mod that's it's introducing a new gametype or anything or gonna just blow people away with all of the new features. Andy may have gotten a little bit carried away in some of his initial proclamations about the mod but hey, we are trying to generate interest in this thing. But this truly is what a space combat map for JA should be like. I have yet to play a currently released map that matches it or comes even close.

Ok, thanks for the information. That actually sounds like some good improvements. You might want to consider submitting the codes to OJP so that other modders can use that code.

Actually, someone in my clan was able to get a hook up and get the Beta for the Mod and wanted the Clan to test it out, without allowing non-clan members to get ahold of the map. There are some issues, which I would rather talk off-line about, IE Starting the MAP, etc... But the ships themselves look Outstanding. One good thing I like about it, was how the Imps and Rebels launch from the hangers, sweet touch. The Hyperspace kicks ass. There should also be more room from when you hyperspace in to when you hit the asteroids. It sucks when you go in the asteroids and you Die right there cause a Asteroid was right there. Also was tough flyin through the Big one, especially when other asteroids are going through the big one and clipping you...LOL. Besides that it was fun...LOL. Oh yeah, doesn't the Tie advance shoot missles?

The Immortal Jedis

Archived