Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe a 16-person test is scheduled to make sure everything is working like it is supposed to, and to test all the maps one last time. and then I think just finish the readme and manual and have a big old release party:) Plus the trailer I am finalizing:)

wow hey some stuff happened this week..it seems i can enjoy playing siege destroyer and asteroids next whole week..daarn excellent now i just finished rebel strike. a big thank you to the entire team, and i'm sure the mod will be worth every second we annoyingly waited after the first rumoured release date. enjoy this i certainly will

Originally posted by SD_Radical_Ed

i say screw the trailer, its a pointless waste of time since its gonna be out anyways. just finish testing and the manual and release! im going insane!! incayn!

I agree, unless the trailer will show flight moves that people can do.

Well, it will show definitely some new stuff not previously shown and barely even hinted at...and this time it wasnt even my idea;) But the sooner it gets done, the sooner the release:) (even though it will still be wednesday)

Originally posted by Andy867

Many thanks to Amidala for compiling this very informative manual on how to successfully learn the basics of the many features that will be encompassed in the Asteroids MOD. The manual describes the mod's features, the vehicles, and how to set up an Asteroids server. The manual is available here (1.46 MB). The manual is in PDF format, which can be viewed with the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which you can download from here.

Again many thanks to Amidala for pulling those all-nighters to put together this manual just in time for people to have something to read up on before downloading asteroids.

You're welcome.:amidala:

Get the manual and start posting your FAQs here.

I'm dling the manual now, but I gotta ask these 2 questions

1.) Will you be adding more ships later on to asteroids? I know you're trying to keep stuff in the film trilogy, but you could at least throw in a single tie defender in the imperial hangar? Just one though, so it would be balanced.

2.) If the answer to #1 is no, will you allow other people to make other versions of this, with more, or different ships, as long as credit is given where due?

Also, one thing I thought of while reading the manual.

Will you release this later on as a map, rather than a mod? because a lot of people who are interested in this probably won't use it, because they don't want to give up OJP, JAR, JA+, and others, and if there is a "noob" then you can give him a chance to behave, and if he continues, use kick, or ban, so the features, (while useful, I'll admit) are not really needed, (and I don't wanna give up ojp just for this mod, as I'm sure a fair ammount of others don't want to give up their mods just so they can fly on the asteroids map)

Originally posted by AIVAS

Also, one thing I thought of while reading the manual.

Will you release this later on as a map, rather than a mod? because a lot of people who are interested in this probably won't use it, because they don't want to give up OJP, JAR, JA+, and others, and if there is a "noob" then you can give him a chance to behave, and if he continues, use kick, or ban, so the features, (while useful, I'll admit) are not really needed, (and I don't wanna give up ojp just for this mod, as I'm sure a fair ammount of others don't want to give up their mods just so they can fly on the asteroids map)

Since this is team-based vehicular space combat, what exactly are you "giving up" by not running those other mods??

There are no lightsabers.

There is no dueling.

There is no emoting.

There is no "empowerment" or "terminator".

There is no such thing as "laming" or "saber down = peace" (or "landing gear down = peace") in deep space combat.

Again, what exactly are you "giving up" by not being able to run those other mods with the asteroids maps? An addiction to slapping, punishing, sleeping, emoting, terminator, empowerment and spawning rancors? You can still kick and ban using the built in Q3\JA engine functions, and Asteroids Mod enhances those things.

It's amazing that people get so brainwashed they think there are such things as "behaving" (beyond not team-killing or suicide-running, which are addressed by the Asteroids Mod) and honor rules in deep space vehicular combat.

Open your mind, this is like a totally new game within Jedi Academy.

Well, seeing as how they have known it was going to be a MOD, there were well aware of the fact that they wouldnt be able to run their other mods to coincide with this one, and we have said it before that this is a mod, and will not be compatible with other mods, so those interested in Asteroids still accept that fact.

I am not addicted to that sort of thing, personally I could care less about it, but I'm thinking of servers tht run multiple maps, think about it, later on, you *could* release a just map version of asteroids, and leave it to the admin to kick those who are messing stuff up, I'm just saying releasing a map only version would make it more widley used, and much easier for those of us who run servers with multiple maps.

:barf:

I just read the manual and it was nice, and big.:) a lot of stuff i all ready knew but that's just becouse it was for the total flight map n00bs. I didn't like it being a .pdf made it hard going true the pages seeing what ship was better then the other. And about the shields, will the r2's or the r5's repair them?

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

The man got a point

Hey you've got your post count back.:D

Originally posted by Lightning

I just read the manual and it was nice, and big.:) a lot of stuff i all ready knew but that's just becouse it was for the total flight map n00bs. I didn't like it being a .pdf made it hard going true the pages seeing what ship was better then the other. And about the shields, will the r2's or the r5's repair them?

Well, all you have to do is right click it and instead of it showing single page, click the continuous option and it will play out like a word document, or click continuous - facing and it will show multiple pages at once...

And yes, the Astromech droids will slowly regenerate the shields until the shield sub-system has sustained damage beyond the astromech's capabilities.

Originally posted by Andy867 Well, all you have to do is right click it and instead of it showing single page, click the continuous option and it will play out like a word document, or click continuous - facing and it will show multiple pages at once...

Well that didn't really help but the booklet indicator or what ever it's called with the English version made it much more \laid out/(?)

Originally posted by Andy867 And yes, the Astromech droids will slowly regenerate the shields until the shield sub-system has sustained damage beyond the astromech's capabilities.

Cool i hope they don't repair it to fast or to slow.

uh, if you wanna just play this as a map, and not as part of the mod, you can. Just put the asteroids.pk3 as well as all the vehicle.pk3s and what not and the autexec.cfg file in your base folder and it will run through the normal jamp.exe. A second release later on would not be necessary. Don't really see why you'd want to do that though, but hey go for it if that's what you need.

Originally posted by Manquesa

uh, if you wanna just play this as a map, and not as part of the mod, you can. Just put the asteroids.pk3 as well as all the vehicle.pk3s and what not and the autexec.cfg file in your base folder and it will run through the normal jamp.exe. A second release later on would not be necessary. Don't really see why you'd want to do that though, but hey go for it if that's what you need.

For people with other mods and running multiple maps on servers, that is a nessicity. Thank you for the info.

Originally posted by AIVAS

For people with other mods and running multiple maps on servers, that is a nessicity. Thank you for the info.

Other mods probably don't have anything to do with space combat and there's no saber combat on these maps, so there's no need to run another mod when running these maps. If it's just an admin mod, this mod comes with the most desirable basic Admin features.

If you try to run these maps without the mod, it simply will not perform correctly. If the maps even run at all, the asteroids map will be so laggy it will be unplayable (the original implementation of the asteroid field was not network-friendly). The vehicles will not behave as they should, you will not get proper kill credit, the "Siege Destroyer 2" map will make every client who tries to load it crash horribly, etc, etc. These are not optional fixes that were put into this mod.

You MUST run the mod to use the new ships and maps.

If I could make this an official patch, and drop it all in the base folder, I would. But I can't... :) Besides, having tons of extra pk3s in your base folder will most likely conflict horribly with all the pk3s that will come with Asteroids. Putting it in a mod dir will help this some (since mod pk3s will always override base pk3s, regardless of alphabetical order).

Archived