Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

'Sup? I can't wait for this mod to come out tomorrow!! I have been spreading information and knowledge about these maps!! So, at east three or four servers will run it, other than the ones that were originally going to be runnng it. YAY!!!!

This is going to be sweet. I just wish that the Falcon and Lambda Shuttle didn't haven to be spawned, because then you will need cheat servers.

I read the manual (just the important info, not the Star Wars Databank things) in the middle of class and then lunch!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

:fett:

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

If you try to run these maps without the mod, it simply will not perform correctly. If the maps even run at all, the asteroids map will be so laggy it will be unplayable (the original implementation of the asteroid field was not network-friendly). The vehicles will not behave as they should, you will not get proper kill credit, the "Siege Destroyer 2" map will make every client who tries to load it crash horribly, etc, etc. These are not optional fixes that were put into this mod.

You MUST run the mod to use the new ships and maps.

You heard the man.

If people choose to ignore this advice and try to run the maps outside the mod, please don't come here and whine that "Asteroids sucks", or it's buggy, or people can't connect, etc. etc. etc. Mike Gummelt worked very hard to add code to fix bugs and tie things together so Asteroids works properly and gives you a good gaming experience. Trying to run the maps and vehicles without the code fixes the mod provides is like trying to drive a car with a steering wheel and gas pedal but no brakes. It drives just as well as a complete car until you have to stop.

On another note, our testing demonstrated that the server I was going to use to host Asteroids couldn't handle it, so my provider, http://www.EscapedTurkey.com has generously provided me with a new server that ran great in our tests. Check my sig for the new IP address.

Originally posted by Lightning

I didn't like it being a .pdf made it hard going true the pages seeing what ship was better then the other.

Well that didn't really help but the booklet indicator or what ever it's called with the English version made it much more \laid out/(?)

I was going to make a summary table that had all the fighters with their specifications so it would be easy to compare them, but I ran out of time.

Adobe Acrobat documents are extremely easy to navigate.

• click the Bookmarks tab on the left and it gives you a navigation pane with a "tree view" of the document
  • click the Pages tab on the left and it gives you a thumbnail of each page
  • you can use the Next Page and Previous Page buttons on the bottom of the window
  • you can right-click on the document and get the same paging buttons
  • you can use the "hand tool" to click and drag the page up and down
  • Ctrl + Home takes you to the first page, Ctrl + End takes you to the last page
  • Hit Ctrl + Shift + H and the document will automatically scroll. Hit it again to pause scrolling.
  • The "Table of Contents" on the first page are hyperlinks that take you to that chapter
  • Go to View -> Read Out Loud and it will read the document to you

Would you have preferred a plain-text readme.txt file with no illustrations like most mods give you?

Hey guys. Um, I just read the manual, and I have a few questions...

1) In some servers, I have seen that switching to be a different class [example: rebel assault switches to rebel jedi) can lower the teams score. Does Asteroids prevent this?

2) Is this simply a 'Siege Destroyer v2' or a new map? (yes, I heard the part about the 'mod', but I am refering to the map in what I said above)

3) Not much of a question here, just a virtual pat on the back to everyone who busted their...well...use-your-imaginations...on making this. As a mapper ( a bad one that that ) I know how hard this stuff can get. Thanks a ton for sticking it out and delivering us a superb map! ;)

Originally posted by Usurpo

Hey guys. Um, I just read the manual, and I have a few questions...

1) In some servers, I have seen that switching to be a different class [example: rebel assault switches to rebel jedi) can lower the teams score. Does Asteroids prevent this?

2) Is this simply a 'Siege Destroyer v2' or a new map? (yes, I heard the part about the 'mod', but I am refering to the map in what I said above)

3) Not much of a question here, just a virtual pat on the back to everyone who busted their...well...use-your-imaginations...on making this. As a mapper ( a bad one that that ) I know how hard this stuff can get. Thanks a ton for sticking it out and delivering us a superb map! ;)

1. I think there is only 1 class in this Siege map.

2. It's an improved version of the same Siege Star Destroyer Map. Changes include:

• All 8 starfighter types can be used.
  • The Imperials now have a Lambda Shuttle whose main purpose is laying mines
  • Rebels now only have 8 minutes to free the Falcon
  • Rebels will be more spread out when they exit hyperspace
  • Some parts of the Star Destroyer will take a little more damage before being destroyed
  • Fixed a scripting bug with the asteroids (they would sometimes disappear in the middle of their path)
  • Fixed the Z-95 missing it's exhaust effect
  • Fixed kill credits
  • Moved centerprints higher so they don't block the TIE Fighter's crosshair

To show you how hard Mike is working on this mod, he just added another admin feature: /callteamvote kick. It is especially useful if the server admin didn't enable auto-kicking of team killers and suicide runners, but it can be used for any reason (spamming, incompetence, being a jerk). Team members can call a vote to kick another team member. Only members of that team can call for a vote and vote. Just type /callteamvote kick "losername" where "losername" is the team member you want to kick.

The manual that will be distributed with the mod has been updated to describe this feature. I also added a summary table that lists the speed, weapons, shields, etc of all 10 vehicle types. So use the newest version of the manual that will come with the mod.

do u mean wednesday american time? cos if u release it in the afternoon american time then you officially have released it thursday for new zearland, australia, and if u release it at night time then its thursday for most of asia too, so only half the world will get it on wednesday. lol im so smart.

no more false advertising please. j/k

Originally posted by FunkMaestro

Hmm i thought it would be a custom mod with asteroids you could fly through, and not a fixed version of the Star Destroyer like amidala stated. Anyway, its wednesday european time now!!

The release will include 3 maps.

Asteroids1 - set in an asteroid field with a big asteroid in the middle that you can fly through

Asteroids2 - set in an asteroid field without the big one in the middle, allows for dogfighting with very little to hide behind.

Seige Destroyer2 - only recently added to the list after the recent release of the original. It has been made to include more vehicles and to address some of the issues people have been complaining about of the first one. The changes are listed above in Amidala's post.

Originally posted by Manquesa

Well, all who are working on this project with the exception of maybe one guy who lives in I think Australia, live in the United States. So the release is Wednesday in the United States, sorry.

What time? becouse it should be wednesday in the US by now.:rolleyes:

Hi, our clan serveur is running JA: Reloaded and multiple maps. I would like to know if we will be able to play with other " standard " maps with the mod " space combats " because our server provider has closed the fs_game command so it would be difficult for us if this new mod dont perform correctly standard maps.

Thx for your works one more time.

Originally posted by Morningstar

Lightning give 'um time dude, we've waited a while for this mod so surely a few hours more won't do any harm?

But i just can wait to have a lot of pain in my hand and having to change the batteries in my mouse....:rolleyes:

Originally posted by NFOR_Jay

Hi, our clan serveur is running JA: Reloaded and multiple maps. I would like to know if we will be able to play with other " standard " maps with the mod " space combats " because our server provider has closed the fs_game command so it would be difficult for us if this new mod dont perform correctly standard maps.

Thx for your works one more time.

Good question.

When I saw your question I went on my Asteroids server and was able to change the gametype to FFA and load the map mp/ffa5 Taspir, so the answer to your question is Yes, you could change your server to the Asteroids mod and still be able to play other maps and gametypes.

If you put cheats on, I guess you could spawn the starships on any map, including KOTOR Flight school (but I didn't have time to test that).

However, Asteroids has no emotes, amabusive commands, or some of the other features of other mods. Admin wise it's basically basejka with enhancements (automatic IP address logging, expanded ban list of up to 1,024 addresses, optional automatic kick or ban of team killers and self-killers, and team kick voting).

What time? becouse it should be wednesday in the US by now.:rolleyes:

Originally posted yesterday by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

It will be out sometime tomorrow. Most likely after my working hours since I do this on my spare time (plus I need to give the final code to my linux compiler guy and give him time to compile it for me).

So that means most likely Wednesday evening MST (Mountain Standard Time)

And no there is no first person view for the ships, that would be nice but it would have to be coded and then all the vehicles would have to be redisigned to support that feature, or at least a new hud would have to be made depending on how it would be implemented. . That feature was never implemented in the game.

Ugh, wouldn't you love the 'kick' option in these forums? Honestly, you guys. Wait. Its just a few hours. Most of you have school like me [except I am sick, so I get to stay home...;)] so you don't have to worry ALL that much. And as for the 'callteamvote', it sounds great.

There is also something else I thought about, though. Some ....yea... people on Siege Destroyer join rebel, bring an X-Wing up, start it moving forward, and jump out. This makes respawning and getting out of the hanger a very damaging experience. Does Asteroids prevent this?

Originally posted by Usurpo

Ugh, wouldn't you love the 'kick' option in these forums? Honestly, you guys. Wait. Its just a few hours. Most of you have school like me [except I am sick, so I get to stay home...;)] so you don't have to worry ALL that much. And as for the 'callteamvote', it sounds great.

There is also something else I thought about, though. Some ....yea... people on Siege Destroyer join rebel, bring an X-Wing up, start it moving forward, and jump out. This makes respawning and getting out of the hanger a very damaging experience. Does Asteroids prevent this?

I never encountered those people, only people that jump on my x-wing, die, and decrese my points.

But i just can wait to have a lot of pain in my hand and having to change the batteries in my mouse....:rolleyes:

Thats why you should have gotten either the Logitech MX-700 or the Micro Innovations wirelss mouse with rechargin cradle (like me).

With the new teamvote option, you can vote that lamer off without having to have the other team vote. plus we are working on some new options as well.

Originally posted by Andy867

Thats why you should have gotten either the Logitech MX-700 or the Micro Inventions wirelss mouse with rechargin cradle (like me).

Why spend even more money on a mouse? changing the batteries only takes 4-5 seconds. Only thing why i hate it is becouse my mouse all way's stops while i'm flying.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Andy867

With the new teamvote option, you can vote that lamer off without having to have the other team vote. plus we are working on some new options as well.

good with kick votes you all way's have the problem of thye other team not voting becouse they didn't notice/care.

Archived