Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

Just a heads up:

When you start your game with asteroids.bat as recommended, it may take awhile to load up and start. It's easy to think the program has locked up. Just don't panic, be patient.

Even with my 2.4GHz P4 I get the blue Jedi Knight Jedi Academy title screen for what seems like ages. Just when I think it is locked up I finally get the Main Menu screen. Then, when I join my Asteroids server, I get the "awaiting gamestate" screen for a long time, then I finally get the Asteroids map screen and that takes a while to load. So just a heads up, don't panic and hit the reset button, be patient because it might load slowly. After that it's fine.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need Asteroids TFFA!!

Anyway, will you guys still be putting up another trailer on jediknight.net? It is 4:49 P.M. (Eastern Time) and not even the trailer is out!! I was on the computer as much as I could during school for any news, but...

Also, nice job on the 33 page manual for noobs, Amidala. It must have taken a while.

Also, maybe we don't need a trailer, or if you insist, we could have the trailer up at the same time as the mod!!

One more thing, jediknight.net isn't working right now, is it being updated?:) I hope it is!!

:fett:

Update: I know that everyone was for sure thinking that today would be THE day to release Asteroids, and we as a team were just about to pack it up and release it when someone came out and asked about the mac version, which we had completely forgotten about, and so for compatibility concerns, we are addressing this to make sure that no one is left out of enjoying the mod. We have contacted our Linux guy to port the linux coding over to the Mac OS X, and we have been assured that it will only take a week, two at most, to get the porting completed and the testing for any bugs during the port over out of the way. We are truly sorry about this delay, but we felt that in order for everyone to enjoy, everyone on every operating system must be able to play this. This is THE last thing that we need to do before releasing, and again we are truly sorry about the such short notice.

- The Asteroids Team

Originally posted by Andy867

Update: I know that everyone was for sure thinking that today would be THE day to release Asteroids, and we as a team were just about to pack it up and release it when someone came out and asked about the mac version, which we had completely forgotten about, and so for compatibility concerns, we are addressing this to make sure that no one is left out of enjoying the mod. We have contacted our Linux guy to port the linux coding over to the Mac OS X, and we have been assured that it will only take a week, two at most, to get the porting completed and the testing for any bugs during the port over out of the way. We are truly sorry about this delay, but we felt that in order for everyone to enjoy, everyone on every operating system must be able to play this. This is THE last thing that we need to do before releasing, and again we are truly sorry about the such short notice.

- The Asteroids Team

please, please, be joking?

Originally posted by Morningstar

*calmy sits back and watches all hell break loose*

*rides out of his flaming school building on a black horse, and joins the other horsemen of the appocolypse, heading straight for each member of the asteroids team's houses*

Okay, calmed down a bit, I calmly ask you, re-consider, in jedi academy latley, I haven't found one person as excited as people were about 2 weeks ago, the community is already starting to lose intrest, please, release the windows version of this mod, and then work on the others. No one will be left out except for possibly "a week, or two at the most."

If you really have completed just about everything for the windows version, and are just holding up for the other ones, I really don't see any point in holding it back.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

It is taking too long. This isn't fair. :(

I have been waiting for a few months!! I have been on edge hoping that it would be released today!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

And, ChangKhan [RAVEN], promised it would be released on Wednesday. It's not right!! Release it today, release the MAC one on whenever.

PLEASE RELEASE IT NOW!!

PLEASE RELEASE IT NOW!!

PLEASE RELEASE IT NOW!!

PLEASE RELEASE IT NOW!!

PLEASE RELEASE IT NOW!!

PLEASE RELEASE IT NOW!!

*Goes and stabbs self, then jumps out of a fifty story building.*

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet

Youd delay this thing 2 more week so 0.1 percent of the community can have this thing at the same time? Something tells me that your joking again...

Good lord, I hope they are.

*suspense waiting for a post by the asteroids team building* :explode:

You know what? I have been telling countless servers about Asteroids TFFA and Siege Star Destroyer 2, and they are expecting it, that is at least 40 people expecting it, and you bail out on us. No offense to MAC users, but forget them for now!! The majority of people use Windows for games, and Linux is the majority for servers.

Please release it now, ooh, I feel so depressed, and I don't have a lot of confidence now. :(

I beg you to release it now!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!!

*Walks infront of a semi-truck in the middle of the highway, meanwhile igniting a grenade.*

:monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb::monkbomb:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCREW MAC USERS! THEYRE RETARDED ENOUGH TO BUY ONE< SO THEYRE PROB> TOO RETARDED TO PLAY ASTEROIDS! RELEASE WINDOWS NOW! MAC LATER!

WINDOWS NOW! MAC LATER!

WINDOWS NOW! MAC LATER!

WINDOWS NOW! MAC LATER!

WINDOWS NOW! MAC LATER!

WINDOWS NOW! MAC LATER!

STARTS POLL:

WHO WANTS THE WINDOWS ONE TO BE RELEASED NOW AND WAIT FOR THE MAC PART?

I BEG YOU! PUT THE WINDOS ONE UP NOW!!!! IT IS NICE OF YOU TO THINK OF THE MAC USERS, BUT THIS IS REDICULAS! WORK ON THE MAC VERSION AFTER THE WINDOS VERSION! :mad: :mad: :mad:

*calms down to join everyone else in watching the aproching mob, riots, and the pro-realse poilice attack the team for worring about the .0001% of the users*

People calm down, this was a bad choice by the team, and hopefully they'll see what they did and do the right thing, but lets not go nuts on them just for one bad choice that they can still fix, I repeat, do not lose it over one little choice that will probably be reversed when they see what they did wrong

Originally posted by Usurpo

1) In some servers, I have seen that switching to be a different class [example: rebel assault switches to rebel jedi) can lower the teams score. Does Asteroids prevent this?

Yes, there are no classes in TFFA, and only 1 class per team for Siege Destroyer 2

Originally posted by Usurpo

2) Is this simply a 'Siege Destroyer v2' or a new map? (yes, I heard the part about the 'mod', but I am refering to the map in what I said above)

V2, tweaks out some issues with SD version 1... the changes are described in a readme that comes in the .zip...

-MCG

Update: Ok, apparently some of you figured this to be a practical joke. And you were right. While we were finishing up the manual, a couple members asked what we could do or say to add some humor into the release to make it look like a potential delay, and so the idea of porting over the mod to the Mac OS X was decided upon, and I took the liberty of conjuring up a an excuse that I felt that would get a rise from the general public. We are still looking to release tonight, and we are very close.

Ever since the beginning of the project, everyone involved has been extremely dedicated in getting this released, and we had only wished we could have thought up some of this up sooner to allow for a release that would have been sooner. I would like to take this opportunity to thank ChangKhan and Zer0-L0giC for allowing me to particapte in this project, Manquesa for first introducing me to the idea on our little Messenger conversations, and to Kurgan and the rest who have taken their time out of their very busy schedules to help see to the final product as being as perfect as we could possibly make it. Without input from all of members, this project would have been nowhere near where it is today. So I want to thank everyone on the team for giving their time and effort and patience for helping to make this mod.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

However, Asteroids has no emotes, amabusive commands, or some of the other features of other mods. Admin wise it's basically basejka with enhancements (automatic IP address logging, expanded ban list of up to 1,024 addresses, optional automatic kick or ban of team killers and self-killers, and team kick voting).

While this is true, I will be releasing all the source for this mod - the .maps, uncompiled scripts and source code files that have changed for this mod...

Archived