Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

Actually, that message appears if you use ASE without making PROPER adjustments. For some reason, ASE can load up the map and vehicles for the asteroids mod folder, but has trouble locating the death messages which is why it says Master williams ??MP_INGAMEVEH_COLLISION2 has collided with Andy867.

To fix this, its actually quite simple. While, in The All-seeing eye, press F2 to load up the options, then go to the Games Tab, and for Jedi Academy, select is and for the path directory, and change it so that after the ...jamp.exe" you will add in +set fs_game asteroids

(ie "c:\program files\lucasarts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\gamedata\jamp.exe" +set fs_game asteroids )

I believe it is very balanced because I can be on the Imperials and my team can easily wax th Rebels 170-99 within 20 minutes. And the A-Wing doesnt need revamping, people just need to learn how to fly. 1 linked shot at the A-Wing from the TIE Advanced X/1 (vader's tie)has a good chance of destroying the A-Wing (don't know why I have to keep explaining it since I've already said this 5 times over)and The TIE Interceptor is just as manueverable as it is fast when compared to the A-Wing and it has 4 shots that can easily destroy the A-Wing. You people just need to learn how to fly and shoot.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Master William

I rate this mod 5/10. Firstable, I see a lot of bugs, like the hyperspacing is very strange, and it's all unbalanced. Imperials don't stand a chance, and it's all a turn-and-spin-until-you-can-see-your-enemy party. There's also bugged messages like "Peter was killed by MP_INGAME_VEHICLE_YWING_LASER". The A-wing needs some damn revamping too.

The Asteroids Mod Manual

To launch Jedi Academy with the Asteroids Mod you must use the asteroids.bat file provided with the mod. Simply double-click the asteroids.bat file in your GameData folder. If you want to create a server running the Asteroids Mod, double-click the asteroids_ded.bat file. For convenience, you can create a Shortcut to either of those files by right-clicking the .bat file and dragging to your Desktop. Select “Create Shortcut(s) Here”. Launching the game with the All Seeing Eye causes kill messages to be reported strangely (and we don’t know why).

I think the a-wings are too powerful. Those things zig and zag all over the map, and when they're spinning like that, it's near impossible to hit with any ship! One time I was in a tie-advanced and I was trying to ram an a-wing coming straight at me, but instead it was me who got killed from the crash!

One advice to make asteroids more balanced is to increase the fragility of the a-wing and decrease the speed and maneuverablity. I find that it's almost impossible to track behind it when there's an average player piloting the ship.

i think the a-wing is fine, you can't ram anything in it and it only has 4 missiles.

i still want the y-wing with an ion cannon as turret though - "Nooooo.. my systems have frozen, argh the asteroid..... *radio crackle*"

*sniggers evily* now does anyone else agree? :biggs:

Originally posted by atoatoato

Got asteroids,:)

Got Japlus,:)

Starting Sever,:)

How do I run both, (move, and admin powers of JA+ with the asteroids game):confused:

You can only run one MOD, but you can run ja+ and use asteroids as a MAP, they say it won't work, but when I did it, it worked fine.

Since JA+ is essentially a dueling/admin mod, there really isn't much point in using it with Asteroids or Destroyer2.

In Asteroids you're spending 99.999% of your time inside ships on a team, not saber fighting or FFAing.

There's (thank goodness) no possible way to have "honor" in these games because things like "chat boxes" and "saber down" are meaningless.

Additionally, the only "useful" admin mod features are already in Asteroids, like auto kick/banning for frequent teamkillers/suicide spammers and there's an external file for banned IP's.

Of course if you turn off Friendly Fire you won't have to worry about team killers at all...

If you try to run another admin mod with it you're going to lose some features, and end up with stuff like messed up explosions, bad textures, goofed up messages, etc. These bugs can also surface if you don't run the mod properly (ie: don't run the batch file to start the client or server). While the gameplay is the same, you'll experience bugs otherwise not present in the polished finished product.

About the only thing that you might want to use with Asteroids are additional skin files, but even then you're only going to see them in the hangars...

I rate this mod 5/10. Firstable, I see a lot of bugs, like the hyperspacing is very strange, and it's all unbalanced. Imperials don't stand a chance, and it's all a turn-and-spin-until-you-can-see-your-enemy party.There's also bugged messages like "Peter was killed by MP_INGAME_VEHICLE_YWING_LASER". The A-wing needs some damn revamping too

Amidala, I have other things to do than to read stuff like that. I would have read it usually, but I just have to much to do... lots of school + SWG...

Master William, how can you expect to have any credibility or for anyone to take your 5/10 "rating" seriously when many of the "bugs" you criticize are merely the result of you being too busy (by your own description) to know what you are talking about?

And why even bother to play if you dont even put forth an appreciative effort to just sit down a play if it Star Wars Galaxies and school take precedence. This mod is meant to be enjoyed, not just sitting on someone's PC ununsed.

Originally posted by AIVAS

You can only run one MOD, but you can run ja+ and use asteroids as a MAP, they say it won't work, but when I did it, it worked fine.

You can *load* the map fine as a server (listen or dedicated), but as soon as anyone joins your server (even over a LAN) and tries to fly around in the asteroid belt, it will be unplayable because the networking optimization for the asteroids in the asteroid belt was added *after* the 1.01 patch.

And the siege destroyer 2 map will crash clients not running the mod.

Trust me on this.

Originally posted by AIVAS

umm, I don't think that's a mapping tutorial, all i find is the vehicle stuff when I DL it.

You asked for a mapping/modding tutorial. If you actually look in the .zip, you'll find the Siege map and a document on how to set up a Siege map as well as a whole tutorial on how to do vehicles. I would say that qualifies as mapping and modding.

If you don't know how to even make a basic map, there are already plenty of tutorials for Quake 3 that explain how to do that.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Im having some probs with the astroids map, i can see ships!!!! :mad:

When i spawn i just die in space whats wrong?

You're probably not running it as a mod. Read the manual. Start the game with the asteroids.bat, like the manuals and readme's tell you to (or, if it's a server you're just trying to join, they set up their server wrong).

The only other thing that you could be doing wrong is running the map in FFA mode, not Team FFA mode.

Originally posted by SlapNut

oh i give up, i cant get it to work, it worked perfectly on the other computer but when i put all the files in data base (exactly the same way i did it on the other computer) it doent work, ive put it in base and it still doesnt work. Dont tel me i need to dl the new patch cos i have it, ive done everything but this bloody mod wont work.

IT'S NOT A MOD IF YOU DON'T PUT IT IN ITS OWN DIRECTORY AND RUN IT AS A MOD!!!

READ THE MANUAL. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS! THERE IS A REASON YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO RUN IT AS A MOD!!!!

:burn1:

Firstable, I see a lot of bugs, like the hyperspacing is very strange, and it's all unbalanced. Imperials don't stand a chance, and it's all a turn-and-spin-until-you-can-see-your-enemy party. There's also bugged messages like "Peter was killed by MP_INGAME_VEHICLE_YWING_LASER". The A-wing needs some damn revamping too.

RTFM.

"Firstable" is *not* a word, btw. :)

Looks like someone has been busy:) But I agree with every point made by ChangKhan, this is STRICTLY a mod, and Mike is right about the optimization, and also about how Siege Destroyer 2 crashing for people not running it as a mod. Basically, it will give them a program error since it cant find the specific coding required that only the mod code can provide. It was designed to be a mod, and is supposed to be run as a mod.

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

You're probably not running it as a mod. Read the manual. Start the game with the asteroids.bat, like the manuals and readme's tell you to (or, if it's a server you're just trying to join, they set up their server wrong).

Heh, so it was the .bat file then :D Cause i dont really understand the readme.

Why do I spawn in space and die and why is space grey I read the readme and still confused.

1. I read the readme

2. I put all the files where they belong

3. I ran te bat file

4. selected map and lauched

5. It loaded fine

6. I notice space is not black but grey

7. I spawn and choke to death in space.

The game is defaulting to FFA, you must change the gametype in solo to TFFA or you will continue to die. And turn down your brightness if it appears gray.

SlapNut ---> Your answer is within you.

SlapNut

Of the few servers actually capable of running Asteroids, the select few are either in EUR or USA.

:( i still find asteroids way too laggy with 10 players, mostly when i play the ships i'm following will move in shocks making it almost impossible for me to hit em, though the pings are ok. If this could be fixed it would certainly deserve a v2 since it would more than double the fun

Make sure your Base folder is clear of any non-Raven files, as Mike has said before. Non-Raven files typically and 99% of the time cause unnecessary errors, especially files that use filenames that overwrite Raven texture files instead of coming up with a unique name, and Ive said this to a few people before, but I have to say it again, people need to get OUT of the habit of putting files in the base folder. That folder is designed for Raven-designed files and the alike. If you want a bunch of models, make a mod folder for everyone to use custom custom models and have people put all custom files in there so that there is continuity and run servers as unpure. Simple as that.

Archived