Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by WadeV1589

And as for " If you don't like the idea of a dogfight in an asteroid field then fair enough, but its not like we were promised something else."....go back and read stuff like 'the asteroids are coming' and tell me it wasn't hyped up like the next best thing since the creation of the Quake 3 engine! All the stuff about it made it sound like this uber mod that was going to wow us all and instead it's let you do what we could already just with spinny things.

Yes i wonder why every one for got that i mean what do nyou think they all posted about in the 15 pages befor it was released? Do you think they just said it's only going to be tffa dagfighting? no. They even said it was going to be way better then the destroyer map.

And to who ever said the map was well balanced: you make me laugh.;)

Hey Lightning you'll find there are many people who will follow Raven into a dark alleyway even if they're told in advance they'll be shot.

Then there are those who watch an advertisement and fall for it hook, line and sinker.

The shame is...there are a lot of people like that out there as asteroids has shown totally dismissing any facts you give them, even when you point out the hype, even though the threads are still there, it's still 'your personal opinion'....please.

Failing all that they tell you you're smoking something and gang up.

Hey Lightning you'll find there are many people who will follow Raven into a dark alleyway even if they're told in advance they'll be shot.

Then there are those who watch an advertisement and fall for it hook, line and sinker.

The shame is...there are a lot of people like that out there as asteroids has shown totally dismissing any facts you give them, even when you point out the hype, even though the threads are still there, it's still 'your personal opinion'....please.

Failing all that they tell you you're smoking something and gang up.

Feel free to dislike Asteroids all you want, more power to you man!

And tons of people bitch at Raven, I have seen hundreds, possibly thousands of threads over the past 2 years or so dissing and bashing them for this or that. Nobody is forcing you to like or defend what they do.

But PARDON ME for taking pride in something I helped work on (even if it was in a small way as a tester). SORRY for liking something that I saw develop over time and improve and gave suggestions for.

While constructive criticism is welcome always, bashing a mod serves no purpose other than starting fights with those who DO like it.

Anyway, the point of Asteroids (despite some of us getting carried away with hype, hehe) was NOT to make THE SECOND COMING OF JA but rather to show what could be done with vehicles in JA (compare to the mostly haphazard and buggy vehicle maps released prior to Asteroids/Destroyer).

It's supposed to encourage you to make your own. And it sounds like its doing it's job. You look at it and say "I can do better" so you do!

So put your money where your mouth is, dislike Asteroids, vow to do better and use that passion to create something you can be proud of! ; )

Originally posted by BobaFett8765

Hey all.

I just got it and whenever I try to play a server with the map on it I get the error: Error: Could not load mp/map/Asteroids2.bsp. :( . I put all the files in the Asteroids folder I made and I keep getting this dang error. plz help.

Are you making sure to use the asteroids.bat when joining a server? also, make sure that the asteroids folder is in the GAMEDATA folder and not the base folder, as I have had reported time and time again.

Hey all.

I just got it and whenever I try to play a server with the map on it I get the error: Error: Could not load mp/map/Asteroids2.bsp. :( . I put all the files in the Asteroids folder I made and I keep getting this dang error. plz help.

1. Make sure all asteroids files are in the asteroids folder, not the base folder. The asteroids folder must be in the GameData folder, not the base folder.

2. You must start Jedi Academy with the asteroids.bat file that should be in your GameData folder before trying to join an asteroids server.

3. The error should say "could not load map mp/asteroids.bsp", not "could not load mp/map/asteroids.bsp". There is no mp/map/asteroids.bsp.

I saw the same type of confusion and problems in Jedi Outcast when I tried to get people to use Dueler's Mod. People are used to putting map and skin .pk3 files in their base folder, but this is different. Asteroids files in asteroids folder. asteroids folder in GameData folder.

you know there is a reason they include those readme.txt files.

IF SOME PEOPLE BOTHERED TO READ THEM they would find all the info the mods have had to repeat in this thread.

it even tells you to just unzip into your gamedata folder

THATS ALL YOU NEED TO DO.

while im here I see absolutely no asteroids servers online... what gives???

Originally posted by StaffMaster

you know there is a reason they include those readme.txt files.

IF SOME PEOPLE BOTHERED TO READ THEM they would find all the info the mods have had to repeat in this thread.

it even tells you to just unzip into your gamedata folder

THATS ALL YOU NEED TO DO.

while im here I see absolutely no asteroids servers online... what gives???

- Well, according to certain individuals, they dont have time read the manual and readme file that is enclosed in the .zip. But even then, when using a program like Winzip or WinRar/WinAce, they should see that the mod files are in the asteroids subfolder, which depicts it being a MOD.

- From what ChangKhan has said before, Space Combat maps are extremely CPU-intensive with all the blaster shots and missiles and flying around. The problem is that a lot of servers have awesome connections but since rented servers run multiple game servers for clients, there is the problem of cpu usage. Rocky Jawa of the EscapedTurkey game rental site was very gracious in dedicating a box that would only be used for Amidala's ASTEROIDS SPACE COMBAT server, which can be found in the in-game server and also on the All-seeing eye, but even then, its suggested that you use the in-game server since your game MUST start with the +set fs_game asteroids command parameter or the mod will NOT load properly.

I got the game to load with the .bat file but whenever the server uses the Destroyer2 map my game crashes and says "Jedi Academy Multiplayer has encountered a probelem and need to close. We are sorry for the inconvience."

:confused:

Help.

One of the reasons Asteroids has to be run as a mod is because that is the only way to get siege_destroyer2 to work. The Asteroids mod has some critical files that allow that map to work properly.

We had the same problem during beta testing. The asteroids maps worked fine, but when the siege_destroyer2 started to load it locked up my computer and I had to push the reset button. The same thing happened to other people. The only thing that fixed it was updated Asteroids mod files. If you are getting that error, I suspect something is wrong with your installation.

Start over. I'm assuming you don't have any asteroids files in your base folder. Delete the asteroids folder in your GameData folder. Unzip the asteroids.zip file you downloaded and put the asteroids folder it creates in your GameData folder. The asteroids.bat and asteroids_ded.bat files also go in GameData.

Double-click asteroids.bat to start the game. If it still doesn't work, you may need to download asteroids.zip again and start over.

Originally posted by 60- f100 on 3/15/2004 @ 08:10 PM

can anyone tell me how to have a message pop up after I kill someone in mp?

I've seen several people that have a message that says- "SoAndSo you're the ___ person I've killed,I've killed you ___ times

I'd like to find out how they increment the numbers and use the players name

at least let me know where to look to find this info

I usually look for stuff till i find it

but I'm going cross-eyed and getting a headach and sill haven't found anything

thanx

Originally posted by sadisticmonkey on 3/8/2004 @ 02:48 PM

ne1 know where i can get i darth maul skin. I gotta beat one of mates with it, just to spite him.

Originally posted by Randon_Star on 3/5/2004 @ 01:21 PM

where can i download a good killtracker for mp

i think the mau dae one or whatever is good, can anybody give me a site?

thanks in advance

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop on 3/5/2004 @ 12:29 PM

The problem with custom maps, as I've said many times before, is that people in this community only seem to download Darth Maul skins and killtrackers........

Yeah, I still was never told how to fix the hyperspace effects. I got it fixed for Siege Star Destroyer 2.0, but it still is messed up for Asteroids TFFA. I think there's a message that says: Lightsource has a stage but no lightmap or something.

Please tell me how to fix this.

:fett:

I get that same message even though my hyperspace works correctly now (stars come at me instead of from right to left) so I don't think that is related to your problem.

One of the things I did was remove unused map etc. .pk3 files from my base folder.

Make sure you have the latest video card drivers.

My Asteroids server will soon be moving to a Dual Xeon box. It won't be the only server on the box but the performance is so superior that the host of my Asteroids server (http://www.EscapedTurkey.com) is moving everyone to Dual Xeon boxes without changing the rental fee. It should help prevent the lag that occurs when several people are playing.

after playing asteriods it seems the xwing is really messed up. Maybe Im just prejudiced by lucasarts flight games, but it seems like it should have a higher turn rate. a little higher anyway. It feel like Im flying a f 14 vs a mig. THe ties have the speed and manueverability and I get long range firepower. Feels a little odd. And the missile lock and targetting need to be improved all around.

Well, the Raven guys are bigger X-Wing series players/fans than I am (I've only messed around with XWA offline really and that's only in the last year) and they were pretty happy with how it handled.

The key here though isn't imitating all other LA games, nor is it being identical to "canon" abilities of the ships.

Rather the key is balancing them with each other in a multiplayer team based setting.

In one on one fights certain ships just have a major advantage. In bombing runs other ships have an advantage.

But on a team you're supposed to be able to mix and match and have people work together, distract, cover you, etc. and you get the job done. So it all works out.

An army of A-Wings vs. an equally sized army of TIE Bombers might seem unfair, but then it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The A-Wings are easily destroyed by Turbolasers for example.

where are these txt files you speak of? I see a pk3 file, but I don't know how to mess with that. But if I did... oh the posibilities. Maybe in a future version of asteroids they can include a first person cockpit view. That would be really awesome. Oh and I found the x-wing's primary function in asteroids. Turret killing. It has just enough speed to evade fighters and nock out turrets with quad bursts. And it has some durability to take a few hits. For fighter killing your better off with the z-95 or a-wing.

Originally posted by Squee-sithguy

Looks like i kinda well.....died, i see 0 servers using it ever....what happened? I liked it, it was good, but...its no more?

My server is always up (and will be moving to a new IP on a Dual Xeon box for less lag) but:

1. Make sure Show Empty Servers is Yes, or else you won't see it if it's empty at the moment

2. It rotates through TFFA on the asteroids maps and Siege on siege_destroyer2, so sometimes it's under TFFA and other times under Siege

EDIT: new Asteroids server running with dual Xeon power to handle 16 players, new IP address in my signature.

Archived