Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

I check this thread everyday. I'm eager to see what Asteroids TFFA will be like. Also, when will it come out. It was going to be a Christmas gift! The map has also been expected last Monday, but it's already Friday!!

Also, will the Millenium Falcon or TIE Defender be in the map? Many people have been talking about the Falcon in the Asteroids map.

Also, the Imperials should be red, and the Rebels should be blue. Red represents evil and the dark side in the Jedi Knight games (even if they are wrong). Blue represents good and the light side. Also, red is darker than blue, so, red Imperials, blue Rebels.

One more thing, Republic Commando doesn't look to good. It looks like a Halo or Ghost Recon wannabe. And, with the development of vehicles, every game is expected to have them. Not Republic Commando. On the other hand, Star Wars Battlefront will be excellent, I'm sure. I've always wanted to drive an AT-AT or an AAT.

Anyway, I can't wait for this map to come out. I told this one guy (Greenleaf) about this map, (he ran the [POT] Server, now he runs the [sJO] Server) and now he is going to run the Asteroids TFFA map. I've also come across many servers whose administators are going to run Asteroids TFFA. G2G:fett: (Hah, I've always wanted to put a Star Wars smiley.)

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon guys, don't pull a Galactic Conquest*.

* = Galactic Conquest - a SW mod for BF1942 that hasn't even released its 0.2 alpha yet, while other mods have almost reached 1.0 during that time. I think I disappeared from the site and forum for months, and when I came back less people were there, and the mod had no new patches, except for the ones to keep up with the original BF1942 patches.

So don't pull a GC (sorry if anyone from the GC crew or forum sees this, but I've grown freaking old waiting for your hyped up 0.2 version that hasn't even NOW been released.)

Originally posted by majinrevan

I check this thread everyday. I'm eager to see what Asteroids TFFA will be like. Also, when will it come out. It was going to be a Christmas gift! The map has also been expected last Monday, but it's already Friday!!

I am not a member of the Asteroids team so I hope they won't be upset about me telling you this, but I happen to know that *whisper* it is more than a map, it is a "mod", and they need to compile a Linux version because most hosted servers use Linux. That is one reason for the delay, so please be patient

Also, will the Millenium Falcon or TIE Defender be in the map? Many people have been talking about the Falcon in the Asteroids map.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1456349#post1456349

Also, the Imperials should be red, and the Rebels should be blue. Red represents evil and the dark side in the Jedi Knight games (even if they are wrong). Blue represents good and the light side. Also, red is darker than blue, so, red Imperials, blue Rebels.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

This map won't have lightsabers, so that reason for making imperials red is void. Red is the color of the rebels symbol, that's what matters.

Actually, each time you spawn in the hangar your lightsaber is on, so right now Rebel pilots are spawning with red lightsabers on, Imperials with blue lightsabers on. That's right, Luke Skywalker and the Rebel pilots spawn with a red lightsaber, Darth Vader and stormpilots spawn with a blue saber. Lightsaber colors match the team color and can't be chosen in TFFA and CTF.

Yes, I concede in the movie the Rebels had red symbols. But Asteroids isn't a movie, it's a mod for a Jedi Knight game. And in Jedi Knight games, Rebels are Blue and Imperials are Red. As one who has actually played TFFA and CTF in Jedi Outcast\Jedi Academy, I find it very jarring and strange to have it the other way around.

Actually, you can disable sabers by just removing all the force powers that are associated with Saber attack. Taking that out will completely render all other saber-related force powers to null, therefore giving you "melee" (punching, etc). and its only spawning Vader and others with blue sabers because it is TFFA and you chose the Blue Team which is the appropriate color for the imperials, as is red being appropriate for the Rebellion. now if it were Jedi Vs Sith, then the Blue team would be Blue and Sith would be red, but its not Jedi vs Sith;) It is the Rebels against the Imperials:)

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Yes, I concede in the movie the Rebels had red symbols. But Asteroids isn't a movie, it's a mod for a Jedi Knight game. And in Jedi Knight games, Rebels are Blue and Imperials are Red. As one who has actually played TFFA and CTF in Jedi Outcast\Jedi Academy, I find it very jarring and strange to have it the other way around.

:amidala:

Well, like Amidala said, this will definitely be a mod and not just a space map with a few new vehicles. We are currently finishing/polishing up the new fixes and tweaking some built-in "bugs" to make it a more smooth ride overall, and you will see what I mean in a very short time:)

when I see built-in, I mean that they were small, vehicle-related bugs and other things that Raven didnt get the chance to RAID out before the release, but knew that someone eventually would come along to fix it:)

Don't forget, Amidala that in two out of the three Siege maps in Jedi Academy the Rebels/Imperials colors are true to the movie, rather than to Jedi Outcast.

Granted, on those maps it's "Rebels Vs. Mercenaries" and "Dark Jedi (Cultists working with the Remnant) vs. Light Jedi (working with the New Republic)" but you get the idea.

Of course in Siege you don't have "colors" (tinted skins) used to differentiate teams. Rather the Rebels use skins from the Rebellion, New Republic, Jedi Academy, etc. while the Empire uses skins of Dark Jedi, Cultists, Mercenaries, Imperial Remnant, etc.

The "colors" in Asteroids really aren't that prominent, mainly because you don't see people running around with bright red or blue skins or team beacons above their heads.

You have your radar where enemies are red, friendlies are green and you see Imperials using Imperial ships and Rebels using Rebel ships.

Unless of course you want to see Bright Blue TIE Fighters and Glowing Red X-Wings... ; )

PS: In team and CTF games either team can choose the same skins.

So the "good team" can choose Luke Skywalker and Stormtroopers to fight side by side, while the "evil team" can likewise have Imperials Officers and Chewbacca to fight for them.

Heck, you could have an evil team comprised soley of Chewbacca's all using the Dark Side of the Force vs. a team of Imperial Officers using the Light Side. So the Jedi Vs. Sith analogy with Dark (Red sabers) and Light (Blue sabers) is nice, but not absolute.

Originally posted by Manquesa

Has anyone ever seen the movie "Colors" ?

Have we not learned anything from that movie?

Hey, great idea! Instead of the Rebels vs. the Imperials, it should be the Crips vs. the Bloods!

Originally posted by Andy and Kurgan

(paraphrasing) Roses are red, Imperials are blue....

Okay, I'll admit the X-wing and A-wing have red markings, and a red rebel flight suit is closer to orange than a blue one:

Amidala-shot0107.JPG

*grumbles*sheesh, damn Star Wars nerds, they just don't give up;)

BTW people, when Asteroids comes out this summer, make sure you play it using the highest resolution\graphics quality that your computer can deliver. I have used 1600 x 1200 and the highest quality graphics settings, and still got a very smooth 30 FPS. And it makes the spacecraft look simply stunning. Because of file size limitations, these screenshots just don't do them justice, they will look even better on your screen (if you have a reasonable computer and use the highest graphics settings). Oh, and I almost forgot: they don't just look good, you can also fly them around and shoot their guns and torpedoes and stuff

Amidala-shot0038.JPG

Amidala-shot0037.JPG

Amidala-shot0043.JPG

Amidala-shot0058.JPG

Amidala-shot0069.JPG

Amidala-shot0088.JPG

Amidala-shot0104.JPG

Amidala-shot0113.JPG

I think Astrosmasher, Bam-Bam, Manquesa, Chang Khan, Andy867, Kurgan, and everyone else who has contributed to this project should be thanked profusely by all of us. They have done an incredible job (for free, I guess just for the pure satisfaction of creating something outstanding), and it will be well worth the wait. Just be patient and let them do some very important finishing touches so you'll be less likely to have your sky-high expectations disappointed.

BTW, I was just kidding about it coming out this summer....I hope.

Whoa!! Nice pics Amidala!! You are so lucky, you get to play it already!! Also, you obviously answered if Asteroids TFFA is going to have a Falcon. But, is it going to have a TIE Defender? And, is there really going to be more than one map for it? I heard that there is going to be one Asteroids TFFA map with the big asteroid, and one without. One more thing, have you changed the look of the X-wing or Z-95? They looked different in the pictures...

Anyway, I can't wait for it to come out this summer, err, this MONTH!!:fett:

Archived