Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

majinrevan, you live around Kent? I go to KSU...cool. Never saw anyone around here that lives around me...Anyways, back to Asteroids...Is the Destroyer siege map going to change anything with the mod/map or should we trust and believe what Amidala said about the compiling stuff?

well, I really don't wanna announce any release date, we've had bad luck with that in the past, I think it jinxes us. But I will say the release will mostly be very very soon. I just found out that the Lunux compile of Asteroids is complete. Amidala will host a server for us to test on and if all goes well, you'll have Asteroids very very very soon after. Andy, Chang, and I did a little test last night and everything seemed to go well, nothing major to fix. We do keep coming up with new idea's of features to add to it, but we're pretty much putting a stop to all new ideas so we can get this out.

To expand on manquesa's reply, it is a mod with a LIMITED amount of admin features that have yet to be made outside of asteroids. They are more targeted at Asteroids specifically than regular JA, although they can apply outside given the right circumstances. But manquesa is right, the linux .so files have been compiled and tested, the Win32 version is done, and even though there was tons of stuff we wanted to add and tweak, we want to get this out before it gets delayed any longer.

Originally posted by Manquesa

nothing major to fix. We do keep coming up with new idea's of features to add to it, but we're pretty much putting a stop to all new ideas so we can get this out.

how's that special turret for the y-wing you were talking about going? you know the one that fires on it self and might even become a weapon for a pesanger?

Originally posted by Lightning

how's that special turret for the y-wing you were talking about going? you know the one that fires on it self and might even become a weapon for a pesanger?

Well, the turret works fine. It's computer controlled. As far as making it also a manned turret, that's most likely not gonna happen. The coding for it is very buggy, making it very very undesireable to play like that, and from what we hear from Raven the .exe of the game itself would probably have to be updated in order to fix it, so that ain't gonna happen. Sorry, we really wanted that feature too.

Originally posted by Star Gamer

So, how many tunnels are there in the BIG asteroid? Can all the ships fit easy inside to fly, or are there some that are a bit bigger?:confused:

well, once your inside the asteroid there plenty of room to move around in, in fact a common move some like to do is to fly into it, then turn around and blast the guy that followed you in hoping to blast you. That caught me by surprise once when I was chasing somebody down. There are several entrances and exits (tunnels), not sure exactly how many, only a few. But some entrances/exits are big open holes while others tiny openings that you can only get through if you have a small enough ship.

Only thing is, because the asteroid is constantly rotating, it's moving, so you have to be very careful not to touch any walls of the asteroids inside or outside, because if you do your dead.

Well, the turret works fine. It's computer controlled. As far as making it also a manned turret, that's most likely not gonna happen. The coding for it is very buggy, making it very very undesireable to play like that, and from what we hear from Raven the .exe of the game itself would probably have to be updated in order to fix it, so that ain't gonna happen. Sorry, we really wanted that feature too.

To bad i really would have liked some two player action. Well at least the computer controlled option works that would be great to.

well, once your inside the asteroid there plenty of room to move around in, in fact a common move some like to do is to fly into it, then turn around and blast the guy that followed you in hoping to blast you. That caught me by surprise once when I was chasing somebody down. There are several entrances and exits (tunnels), not sure exactly how many, only a few. But some entrances/exits are big open holes while others tiny openings that you can only get through if you have a small enough ship.

Only thing is, because the asteroid is constantly rotating, it's moving, so you have to be very careful not to touch any walls of the asteroids inside or outside, because if you do your dead.

Doh, I was hoping for an asteroid you could LAND in/on, it's easy to hide a ship in a hole, I've done it with the seige destroyer map on the parts where the SD itself blows up, I have imperials screaming where the **** did you come from?

Originally posted by AIVAS

Doh, I was hoping for an asteroid you could LAND in/on, it's easy to hide a ship in a hole, I've done it with the seige destroyer map on the parts where the SD itself blows up, I have imperials screaming where the **** did you come from?

yeah, we were doing that last night in the destroyer map. It also hides you from the enemy's radar. Untill they get close enough to you anyway, but by then it's too late.

I suppose after this is out somebody could always come up with a space map that has SPACE SUITES* (with Jetpacks) for the players so that they can land on something, get out and move around.

Just make the big asteroid not rotate so it won't kill you.

Lots of possibilities....

*Either make a new "inventory item" that can be picked up in your hanger or you start with in Siege that protects you from "space vacuum damage" and lets you move around or else remove the damage flag and just give people space suit like skins for fun.

I' m sorry to say that but your project appears like a commercial release and it' s realy boring ( multiple trailers + reviews on partner site ). The seige destroyer map seems not to have taken a so long wait time and it' s what gamers want. And if you just want to get fans choose another hobbie ( bodybuilding would be great for you ). My post is exaggerated and it' s wanted but it' s just to explain i' m tired to come read this post since christmas just to find out some poor trailers that just show you' re using raven' s work.

Archived