Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by NFOR_Jay

I' m sorry to say that but your project appears like a commercial release and it' s realy boring ( multiple trailers + reviews on partner site ). The seige destroyer map seems not to have taken a so long wait time and it' s what gamers want. And if you just want to get fans choose another hobbie ( bodybuilding would be great for you ). My post is exaggerated and it' s wanted but it' s just to explain i' m tired to come read this post since christmas just to find out some poor trailers that just show you' re using raven' s work.

Originally posted by SlapNut

hes right, i recon u shoulda told us about this mod last week instead of last year.

Oh Boo Hoo. I'm SO SORRY it wasn't released when we originally planned on releasing it. I'm so sorry we were excited about it and couldn't wait to announce it when WE TRULY THOUGHT it was just about ready for release. I'm so sorry we decided to delay the release when we found critical errors that needed to be fixed. I'm so sorry we tried to put in even more features which caused even a bit more of a delay. I'm so sorry we now decided to stop where we're at and stop working on new ideas of things to add so as not to further delay the release. I'm so sorry we decided we should get this thing ported over to Lunux as well since the vast majority of servers out there are Lunux servers because if we didn't the selection of servers running this mod would be exttremely limited.

Trust me had we released this thing at christmas time or new years, it wouldn't have been half of what it is now. Actually the original release date was supposed to be Thanksgiving weekend. Personally, i'm so glad we waited for this thing to truly be ready for release.

You don't like waiting, I"M SO SORRY!

and if you don't like the damn trailers, don't download them, we enjoy doing them and I can understand prefering the real deal over them, but damn, it's coming (I promise).

The only thing i'm worried about now is not the release, but the fact that maybe it's too hyped up and can't possibly meet anyones expectations now.

I don't think anyone could rightly accuse the Asteroids team of "ripping off" or "taking credit for" Raven's work.

The fact is, (unofficial a production as this may or may not be, consult my lawyer and don't quote me on this, blah blah blah denies all knowledge), a handful of Raven employees are assisting on this project. (unofficially, in their spare time, for the fans, for fun!)

That means that (while it's not sanctioned as official by any of the companies) it's sanctioned by the people who made it.

If we were stealing from them they'd be the first to know about it! But obviously we're not.

Manq and others who have added new content to the Raven material have only taken credit for the stuff they've done. It's a partnership, not a case of "who's stealing from whom." And there are plenty of people involved that have not created anything new, only offered feedback and testing (such as myself).

The idea of the project came about out of a desire by Raven guys to polish up and release something they didn't have an opportunity to finish and release like they wanted when JA was finished up.

Without this you probably would never see Siege Destroyer, and you'd never see the ships in JA put to practical use (outside of some of the amateur maps you've seen previously with the respawning ships in the middle of a box idea, no offense to people who've tried hard and done popular projects like the KOTOR guy). But the thing to admit is that without Raven's help you wouldn't see this level of quality and refinement in space based combat.

There won't be another Jedi game on the Q3 engine. For all we know Raven won't even be involved in the next one. It may be years before we see another Jedi Knight game. So take this for what it is, a small "labor of love" to finish something that otherwise might not have seen the light of day.

Destroyer as you see it now is actually an improvement and refinement over what was originally "ready" at the time of JA's release. It's not as good as it can be, or as it was planned (assuming Raven had had the time to finish it like they wanted to), but it should still be something worthwhile for a lot of fans.

And the hype is well... hype. If you don't care or don't enjoy it, no problem, you've still got the rest of what the game has to offer, nobody's forcing you to get excited.

Originally posted by NFOR_Jay

I' m sorry to say that but your project appears like a commercial release and it' s realy boring ( multiple trailers + reviews on partner site ). The seige destroyer map seems not to have taken a so long wait time and it' s what gamers want. And if you just want to get fans choose another hobbie ( bodybuilding would be great for you ). My post is exaggerated and it' s wanted but it' s just to explain i' m tired to come read this post since christmas just to find out some poor trailers that just show you' re using raven' s work.

Actually, when you think about it, it took almost 18 months for Destroyer to be released, and its just one map with vehicles already available in-game. Whereas Asteroids has only been in production for about 5 months. And like Manquesa said, if we had released it when it was originally planned, it wouldnt be half of what it is now. it would have been like Destroyer with the limited # of ships, and 2 new maps, thats it. But we have taken that project and given it an overhaul on everything. Coding, vehicle models, maps, graphics, sounds, the works. Had I or the team known it would have this many features, we definitely would have held off on the news about potential release times, since a lot of this stuff required many hours of testing (and Mt. Dew, Coffee, sleepless nights, etc etc)

'Sup? This mod is taking too long. :mad: But, at least it is being made. And it is free too!! I tried going to jediknight.net, but it wasn't working!! :confused:

I just can't wait for this mod to come out. I also think that the secrets about Asteroids TFFA are: voice-chatting (real voice chatting) and the Millenium Falcon. But, I'm probably wrong.

Also, manoman81, I do live in Kent. I'm only 14, I go to Roosevelt High School, but my dad teaches physics at KSU.

Also, the KFS maps are cool. No need to put them down. I beta test for KOTORMRJay. I admit, there are a lot of strange things (Pegasus, Sabre, the uber ships at the main base) too. But, it did start the whole vehicle map mainia that has been happening. If it wasn't for him, I would have been EXTREMELY bored for at least two months. Those maps are cool. I love the ships!!

:fett:

<Force Long Post>

Okay, I've been reluctant to officially associate myself with this mod (or any mod that I've released since I've been at Raven) mostly because I don't want to confuse people into thinking my mod releases are somehow "official".

But I think I need to come forward and explain something about the Asteroids mod. It started as a fun little map idea that I came up with when Mike Majernik was first working on the Siege Destroyer map last April, and I was working on the vehicle code. After the game was released, and Destroyer had never been officially added to the game (it needed lots of testing and we had never finalized the space vehicle control system), I slapped together a really simple, really ugly asteroid field map, played with it a little bit, then forgot about it.

Then, in November, about when we were going to release the patch, I noticed that people had started making vehicles. I contacted two of those people: Manquesa and 7IM and asked them if they'd be interested in getting help from me in implementing their vehicles in the complete, proper way ours were done in exchange for allowing me to use their new ships in the Asteroids map. They agreed and set about working on their ships in their free time and I worked on getting the vehicle code fixed up for the patch.

Time passed and the vehicles came along nicely, though it took some time because there was a lot to learn. The patch was released with the fixed vehicle code (which is why Siege Destroyer is playable now). Then, when the ships were playable, we began playtesting on the Asteroids map and we thought we'd be able to release it pretty soon. This was about mid-December, a month after work had begun. But I realized there were still some code fixes that needed to be done (to optimize the asteroid field, itself, for network performance, fix bugs in kill credit in ships, fixing the aiming at close range and several other issues that cropped up). Also, after we released the first trailer, I realized the map I made was butt-ugly (compare the first trailer to the second one). So I insisted that we delay the mod while I got Mike Majernik to fix it up in his spare time. This also gave Manquesa more time to truly polish the ships he was working on - including adding nice specular maps to really make the ships look sweet (see Amidala's awesome screenshots). And it gave 7IM time to get his great TIE Interceptor ship totally implemented.

Unfortunately, mid-December is a busy time for most people, with the Holidays and travel, etc. So I was out of action until January, and by that time I had to concentrate solely on my work on our project that we're working on. I still am very busy on that project. Andy and Kurgan and the others were trying to keep the mod going, but I had to concentrate on work and home (built a house and have our first child due in March!).

Come the middle of February, I finally decided that I needed to finish this thing and get it out. I heard that Siege Destroyer was going to be released and thought it would be a good time to finish up the Asteroids mod. So, for the past two weeks, Andy, Manquesa, Tim and I have been working hard to finish, test and polish the mod to make sure it's fun, bug-free and balanced. We also enlisted the help of some other people for testing (Amidala generously donated the use of her linux server and informed me that I had to compile the mod in linux, which I had completely ignored... so I contacted Jim Drews - the guy who ported JA to linux - to recompile the mod for linux for us).

Now, finally, it's getting close. Getting feedback and input from testers, Amidala (who let me know that the mod really needed to have some simple admin options that I have now implemented) and all the people playing Siege Destroyer has really helped this mod come together nicely and feel more complete and polished than I ever expected. We're even including a tweaked version of Siege Destroyer that not only includes our 4 new ships but addresses some of the issues I've seen and heard from people playing the map (like the Rebels being too bunched up coming out of hyperspace, the round time being too long, etc.)

So, yes, it's close, and it's as professional a project as Siege Destroyer is, it's just not an official release. And you'll have to pardon the seemingly long development time, but we want this mod to be great and we're all of us (programmers, Mike Majernik, the modelers, testers, admins, etc.) doing it in our free time, which I'm sure you all know can be in short supply sometimes.

Anyway, it'll be out by Wednesday, at the latest.

:)

BTW, I don't mean to take sole credit with my last post, or anything. Credit should go to all the people who have this mod possible:

Manquesa for making so many ships and doing them so well!

7IM for making an excellent TIE Interceptor, despite very little help and guidance from me... ;)

Mike Majernik (Zero-Logic) for prettifying the map, including building and skinning all the asteroids... :)

Andy for keeping the project going and making sure people know about it on this site, the forums and with his trailers. Oh, and for kicking our collective asses every time we test (watch out for him in the A-Wing when this thing comes out!)

Kurgan for testing and always being a perfectionist and making creative suggestions.

Amidala for setting me straight on what server admins need to get this mod working right!

Jim Drews for being so cool about compiling the mod for linux for me, for doing it so quickly, and for putting up with constant code updates, each one promised to be the "final" code update... :)

And to all our testers! I only know some of them by their game name and others only by their real names (and probably some by both), but here's who I can draw from memory:

Daniel Wilkes, Kengo, Bradley Olson, Sith800, Eva Peron, RazorAces, KOTORMJay, Jason Fryer, ARrrr, BloodOmen, SilentStorm, etc. (If I forgot you, I'm sorry, there's been a lot of new people lately, e-mail me and I'll make sure you get in the readme credits!)

Great job, i've play the map online and is really funny! :D , btw, i just have a question in my mind, if the new siege_destroyer will come with 4 new vehicles, we will have to take out from our /base directory the other maps with new vehicles like kotor_flight_school because we can have just a limited number of vehicles, or it is/will be fixed :^/

Originally posted by LightNinja

Great job, i've play the map online and is really funny! :D , btw, i just have a question in my mind, if the new siege_destroyer will come with 4 new vehicles, we will have to take out from our /base directory the other maps with new vehicles like kotor_flight_school because we can have just a limited number of vehicles, or it is/will be fixed :^/

While it's generally best to keep your base directory as clean as possible, I did make it so you won't get the "vehicle data too large" error when loading. This is actually a different issue than the max 16 different vehicle types limit - only ships that actually spawn into the map count towards that limit. The limit I fixed is a limit on the size of the text buffer that *all* the .veh files are loaded into and parsed for data.

So, anyway, you shouldn't get that error anymore, but you should still try to keep your base dir as clean as possible (all Raven-released pk3 files are fine) just because there could be conflicts between files in those pk3s and the Asteroids mod (or other mods)

Wait, let me get this straight...There's going to be another Siege Star Destroyer map?!? That is awesome!! What are the new ships in it? Let me guess, the TIE Interceptor, the TIE Advanced x1, the A-wing, and the Y-wing. Will they be taken from Asteroids TFFA? It would explain why the hangars and hyperspace effects in Asteroids TFFA are identical to the Siege Star Destroyer map.

Also, ChangKhan [RAVEN], what is the new "prototype" thing? Anyway, it is reassuring to hear that Asteroids TFFA will be released by this Wednesday. It remains to be seen if this is true...

I was playing online today on Siege Star Destroyer (my game name online is: Mercenary (Majin Prez.). Well, I got 60 points with a TIE Fighter, and 68 points with a Z-95 Headhunter. With the TIE I obviously had nothing to destroy (besides ships) and with the Z-95 Headhunter I didn't attack any objectives, just ships. I'm not bragging, I just wanted to share some news about how many bad, err, I mean beginner, pilots there were (definitely bad). Also, for a half an hour straight, nothing but turbolasers killed me when I was in a Z-95...

I don't know about you, but, I think that is pretty good. I have a proposal to teach game players how to fly. I can't run a server, but I know Kengo can (dogfighting against you that day was awesome), so can a lot of other people. If someone ran a server, I could be a good teacher (not to brag...). I suggest a KFS map, or maybe a Siege Star Destroyer map in FFA (or siege mode).

Many people have asked me to join their clans because of my awesome piloting skills, and I said no, because I think clans are a little to stupid because I have a Federation with parts of it playing on the internet---oops said too much. Anyway, just consider my idea. I'll be online on Sunday tomorrow around the afternoon around 3:00 P.M. to around 6:00 P.M. That is in Eastern time.

:fett:

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet

Don't keep giving us the difinitive releace dates! They never come out and you guys just get flamed. Its jsut eiser if you just releace it!

Dude!, you've NEVER heard any release date announcements from Chang Khan. I'm glad to see he finally let the truth about his involvement out about this. I can promise you, by Wedenesday it will be out. Maybe even earlier, but the promise is by wednesday, it's been delayed long enough already.

So please, no more whining until wednesday, well preferably thursday.

And Chang Khan, if I were you I wouldn't say anything more about the possible other project you've been prototyping, you can see how we've been getting reamed for not having asteroids out yet. Imagine how it'll be with that since your just barely getting that one going. Do you really want a few more months of the whining "Why isn't it out yet"? Especially since you may not even ever do anything with it.

um excuse me Mr. Manquesa im not sad that it didnt come out when u first announced it, i know these things take a long time, if u had understood what i said before, ud see that i just thought that its better to finnish it before u announce it, u can take for ever to do it, thats cool, but now u know for next time, no one should be upset, we just learn from mistakes. Besides, everyone is thankful for u guys doing it, even if they complain abou the date, u guys are top blokes for making it for the public, top stuff, keep up the good work.

Hehe, Mr. Manquesa. Ooh that sounds weird. I don't even like being called Mr. Birmingham (my real last name) at work, and i'm the Boss. They usually call me by my first name, or Boss. A few months back I helped out a friend and taught music for a few weeks at a local high school, of course everyone refered to me as Mr Birmingham, it was so strange, I often didn't realilze they were talking to ME.

Anyway, yeah sorry, I don't mean to come off as a jerk or anything, it's just getting a little annoying and frustrating with all the greif we've been getting about falling through on our previously announced release dates which of course means that anything we announce now is a little hard to swallow, and people are being sure to let us know that. I can't help but to be a bit defensive.

My post is exaggerated and it' s wanted

So i' m now sorry for the way i got real informations but now we know for sure you make a good work. All i said in my flaming post was thought by other players. Now you do the light on your project and i find it' s cool .. collest than the review on map-center that didnt show us how much the work you all did for all the vehicles projects was difficult. So i agree i had to apologize and I apologize but you' ve to admit that this time we got real informations and not only some peanuts :D

Archived