Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

ok, i keep hearing about a b-wing... as far as i know, nobody has released a b-wing vehicle,..... have they?

also, when i put the y-wing into my map, will it still have the automated turret, or is that some part of the new asteroids coding that is only compatible with it?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Buffy

please help !

I tryed many times but I cant load Map in TFF :(

"Error:

Serverdisconnected

Unpure client detected

Invalid.pk3files

referenced !"

:confused:

This will happen if the server is "pure" and you have a .pk3 file that isn't exactly the same as the server's. (That's why I run my servers "unpure", to reduce connection problems like this). Try moving non-Raven pk3 files out of your base folder. Add them back in one at a time until you get the unpure client error, and that will be the one that's causing the problem

Originally posted by FunkMaestro

Congrats, you made it, and its great.

But there really arent many servers playing it, actually only one, and i got a "Server is for low pings only" error.

Your ping is constantly fluctuating (especially if you are far from the server and have more "hops" in your connection path). If at the exact moment you try to connect your ping exceeds the server's sv_maxping (mine was 500, just raised to 600), you'll get that warning, even if your average ping is much lower. It even happened to me with my server. Just try connecting again and you will probably get in (unless the server has a very low sv_maxping, which is listed in ASE).

Originally posted by FunkMaestro

The day of the realease of Star Destroyer there was already 15 servers playing it... and this is bigger.

siege_destroyer is just a map, so it is very easy for a server to add it to the rotation, even if it is running a mod. Asteroids is a mod and it more complicated to run a mod or change mods (the command line has to be changed. Usually you have to ask the server host to do it for you). Some servers may not want to change the mod they use all of the time to run the Asteroids maps some of the time. My server is Asteroids mod\maps 24/7.

Most of time rebels happen to have double of imperials score...it seems awing kicks some serius butt when used by right user..now all we need is a Stargate Siege map where ya gotta assault Tau'ri with Alkesh and Deathgliders and stuff and a Trade Federation Control SHip Assault map..

Its funny you mention that because there WAS a SIEGE Stargate map in the works awhile ago, and I even posted a request on jk.net for anyone with mapping or modelling skills to contact the author, but its seems like none of you apparently were eager enough to want to help out, so the map was scratched and a ffa map was made instead (SGEGYPTJA)

first of all: it was damned well worth the wait! the extra vehicles in siege destroyer make it even better. I only have 1 thing i hate there and that is that the vehicles are able to stand almost completely still in air, rebels can just hide behind objectives, and i didnt know vehicles could stand perfectly still

Asteroids; awesomeness! i complained first about the awing, but when andy and me switched places it seemed i couldnt move at all with the awing when pursued by the interceptor..it's all about skills, so i'm pretty convinced its balanced. It will just need some practice for most players now to counter rebels and vice verca.

I like the mod a lot though it doesnt feel like rogue squadron to me..the standing still and when you get hit, there are those little fragments of lag where you wouldnt know what was happening. Other than that; a standing ovation to the whole asteroid team. This is truly a great mod!

I think the 8 minute timelimit on siege_destroyer2 is too short. Has anyone played a game where the Rebels actually completed their objectives?

I think the A-wing is too uber and the TIE Bomber is too noober. Make the A-wing a little slower and less maneuverable. Make the TIE Bomber a little faster and more maneuverable.

Actually, all of the Imperial fighters should be noticeably faster and more maneuverable than the Rebels to compensate for their lack of shields and missiles (in general, I know the TIE Advanced has shields and the TIE Bomber has torpedoes. ALL of the Rebels have shields AND missiles of some kind).

The very first computer game I ever played was TIE Fighter (for MS-DOS), so I know these things:amidala:

This may just be an opinion, but I've played all the ships, and they themselves seem balanced, yet the rebels certainly do have an advantage, look in the chart they gave you, plus, if you actually FLY and play with the ships, you'lll notice that 3 out of 5 times, the rebel score is 20, to 50 points higher than the imperial, no matter which team is which.

Originally posted by Buffy

please help !

I tryed many times but I cant load Map in TFF :(

"Error:

Serverdisconnected

Unqure client detected

Invalid.pk3files

referenced !"

:confused:

I fund what is Cause

Hi sorry about problem

but I hope this is help you little bit...

I test all mod in my base and I fund what it is .

Cause to problem with your MOD is

"tmoreweapons.zip" & "bd-rifle_DL-44.zip"

anyways anykind of weapon mod is be cause to get Error

now Im really enjoying your mod !

thank you again for nice Mod for us

Buffy

Let's hope people will take this opportunity to learn how to make space/vehicle based maps and create THEIR OWN WORK.

I'm hoping that people won't simply take asteroids/destroyer and make "mods" of them (ie: add one or two ships, or glue some extra guns on the ships).

Don't copy it, use it to inspire you to create new things!

Asteroids wasn't meant to be Xwingalliance, it would have taken a year to add all the EU and movie ships out there and balancing them all would be a nightmare. ; )

Just gave it a quick test...

Isn't it a bit dumb having the rebels as the red team, and the empire as the blue team?? Cause then the rebs have red sabers.... ah thats it!! "rebs" = "red" I get it.

In Star Wars the Empire (if they're given a color) are blue, and the Rebels (if they're given a color) are red. JK2 broke with tradition by making the colors switched so that the Darkside/red saber; Lightside/blue saber thing would "fit" more I think.

But since you don't use sabers in these space based maps, not a big deal...

It's true, the Imperials seem more built for dogfighting (except for the TIE Bomber) and the Rebels (except for the Awing) seem more built for attack/bombing missions such as Destroyer.

However, this apparently imbalance can be affected by two things: pilot skill and wingmen. Once you get good and you have people working together on a team, it won't have to feel so much like one ship is dominating or that the other team are sitting ducks.

Just imagine how Siege Destroyer would play if instead of the Rebels attacking and Imperials defending the Imps attacked and the Rebels defended the ship?

To balance it you'd most likely have to introduce new ships, giving the Imps more bombing type craft and the rebels more dogfighting enabled craft.

Asteroids is like a testing ground to practice and hone your skills with the vehicles, then putting them to use in Destroyer on an actual mission.

Anyway, kudos to everyone involved with the project, the hard work and patience paid off!

On a side note, to the guy I blew up at on Amidala's last night about complaints, sorry about that. I was just sick of hearing people whining about stuff in the game where it would do no good. I hope people DO report bugs and problems on the forums where they can be read and evaluated. Of course considering all the testing and time put into it already it's doubtful we'll see major revisions (and that will just lead to the old "version hell" problem we want to avoid anyway).

Lot's of fun guys, hope to see you in more games later!

And don't get frustrated if people don't use the mod yet, it takes time for people to realize it's out there, is good, get it and learn how to use it. It'll catch on in time. ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

Let's hope people will take this opportunity to learn how to make space/vehicle based maps and create THEIR OWN WORK.

I'm hoping that people won't simply take asteroids/destroyer and make "mods" of them (ie: add one or two ships, or glue some extra guns on the ships).

Don't copy it, use it to inspire you to create new things!

And on that note, I am pleased to announce that the source files for Asteroids Mod have been released, and are available at Lucasfiles, as well as PCGamemods.

Personally I find that friendly fire is a major problem (and not just because I tend to shoot my teammates as an Imperial since the Imp ships are made for laser spraying), especially in large games where people tend to pack together.

And it's worse in Siege when you have to wait several precious seconds before you can respawn.

In Siege, the 8 minutes limit is actually good the first round, but sadly the SECOND round is usually disaterous.

Sure you can finish in 4 minutes if your team is really good (or the enemy team having a bad day) but the next round you have to do it in LESS than 4 minutes and that's very very very very very hard.

At least normal Siege it's a little more balanced. Perhaps 10 minutes would have been more suitable (that's still a challenge, but not nearly so much time as 20 in the original).

In any case, the first round goes very well, the second.. hmmm

This time change was made at the last minute because it was felt that 20 minutes was "too easy" and I agree it is. But, see my comments.

In Siege, the 8 minutes limit is actually good the first round, but sadly the SECOND round is usually disaterous.

Well, in the second round you only have to beat the first round's time by 1 second to win. So if the other team saved the Falcon in 5:03, all you have to do is save it in 5:02.... what I mean is, if the first team did it in the first round, your team should be able to do it in the second round...

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

I think the 8 minute timelimit on siege_destroyer2 is too short. Has anyone played a game where the Rebels actually completed their objectives?

I think the A-wing is too uber and the TIE Bomber is too noober. Make the A-wing a little slower and less maneuverable. Make the TIE Bomber a little faster and more maneuverable.

Actually, all of the Imperial fighters should be noticeably faster and more maneuverable than the Rebels to compensate for their lack of shields and missiles (in general, I know the TIE Advanced has shields and the TIE Bomber has torpedoes. ALL of the Rebels have shields AND missiles of some kind).

The very first computer game I ever played was TIE Fighter (for MS-DOS), so I know these things:amidala:

Yeh, I saw the Rebels complete it on 8 minutes a few times. While I'm sure we all agree 20 minutes before was far too long, 8 minutes is maybe cutting it a little close but...I personally like it, seemed about 50:50 in the games I played on it. Means the Rebels really have to go for the objectives, they can't get distracted by dogfighting too much.

I agree, the A-Wings are just a little too powerful, and the TIE Bombers seem to completely suck. Certainly, you notice the Imperial hangars seem to be full of them as no one likes to use them, and when they do they tend to get blown out of the sky in seconds. Wheras the Rebel Bomber, the Y-Wing gets very, very high armour and sheilding, and automated gun and missles, the bomber just gets...missles and a bit more speed. One really enjoyable way of evening things up could be to give them some kind of detonatable missles, you press secondary fire once to launch it and again to detonate it. Might be a pain to code or too powerful though :) More easily...they could perhaps be given some more armour and/or a little more laser firepower. For the A-WIng I'd prefer to keep the insane speed and reduce the armour and shields a bit, but either is good.

In addition to their superior speed, it seems to me the Imperials have more powerful laser cannons on average? Or at least, their laser banks don't seem to burn out so fast, you can really fire a barrage with say the Tie Fighter wheras the Rebel ships seem to run outa laser charge very fast, and fire slower too. Not sure if I imagined that though!

I remember X-Wing, which I got on White Label back in like '94. One of the greatest games ever made! Playing Asteroids brings back so many happy memories, and what Kurgan said about other space based custom levels is really brought home when I remember the sheer variety of missions in X-Wing, from attacking/defending convoys of cargo ships to rescue missions and huge set piece battles with larger corvettes and such.

Personally I find that friendly fire is a major problem (and not just because I tend to shoot my teammates as an Imperial since the Imp ships are made for laser spraying), especially in large games where people tend to pack together.

And it's worse in Siege when you have to wait several precious seconds before you can respawn.

Teamkiller!!!

I read your comments in the log file. No one else is complaining about it, and I think it discourages random spraying in the general direction of a dogfight (since you can do that safe in the knowledge that you will only damage the enemy and not your allies). You have to be not careful not to get into your teammate's line of fire, or to shoot when you teammate is in the way.

But I have turned it off to see how it goes. I just don't want people to get sloppy and lazy now that it's off.

yea i think its way better with friendly fire on, as it more realistic, if u can say that about star wars.

it also makes u a better player as u'll need skill to hit an enemy in a tight dogfight with an ally.

but i have ACCIDENTLY blown my allys away!

o and good boy kurgan for apologising, though i can see where u were coming from...it wasnt me u yelled at but i was there...name is killee :cool:

now to create a :deathstar level for asteroids...i wish i could

Teamkiller!!!

I read your comments in the log file. No one else is complaining about it, and I think it discourages random spraying in the general direction of a dogfight (since you can do that safe in the knowledge that you will only damage the enemy and not your allies). You have to be not careful not to get into your teammate's line of fire, or to shoot when you teammate is in the way.

But I have turned it off to see how it goes. I just don't want people to get sloppy and lazy now that it's off.

Well, it's true maybe I'm spoiled. I haven't had to worry about "team damage" in a video game since the original Jedi Knight (with a brief unpleasant stop in Rainbow 6, wherein not I, but everyone else frequently team killed, which really really sucked let me tell you). Though even in JK1 most attacks only did shield damage to allies (so it was still bad, but not so unforgiving).

My playing style simply doesn't account for the fact that players like to cluster up in groups and fly in front of me. Of course I can adapt, it's just annoying. In most games where you have a lot of ships you simply have to go into the "OH no, I'm the hero and can't fire because the bad guy is too close to my loved one!" scenarios. I'm more the "shoot first ask questions later" kind of guy.

Hey I'm definately not an ace pilot, I'm still learning, this just doesn't make it any easier. Your server is the only one I know that so consistently holds to the friendly fire option. Hey, that's your choice.

Still, even if I am extra careful that doesn't mean everyone on my team will be, and I frequently get shot up myself.

I respect you for sticking to your beliefs, I wouldn't change my settings just because one person complained either. But still, team damage, while "more realistic" is just annoying.

Rather than making the action more intense, it serves to cut down on the action by making you hold your fire in a lot more situations, which I suppose saves ammo... or else it allows other people to disrupt gameplay more easily either through inexperience or even malice.

The problems of team killers (those who do it on purpose, not people who do it accidentally like me) are avoided by simply not using the option.

I've never had anyone ask me to turn Friendly Fire on, rather it seems like another one of those options that the admin has to put on people to make it "more challenging." If that floats your boat fine. But I find it doesn't add anything to CTF, so I don't use it in vehicle combat either. I suppose it works best in smaller games.

As far as making people sloppy and lazy, maybe it will maybe it won't. The point is at least with it OFF people don't have to PAY for the sloppiness/laziness of their allies (leading to flame wars, vote kicking, etc).

Originally posted by Destroyder121

Most of time rebels happen to have double of imperials score...it seems awing kicks some serius butt when used by right user..now all we need is a Stargate Siege map where ya gotta assault Tau'ri with Alkesh and Deathgliders and stuff and a Trade Federation Control SHip Assault map..

Oooh, that sounds like an exact qwuote of Akalamania.

Anyhow, Asteroids rocks. I've had some serious fun owning (and getting owned by) Kengo last night, I hope to do the same tonight again! :D

Originally posted by GothiX

Oooh, that sounds like an exact qwuote of Akalamania.

Anyhow, Asteroids rocks. I've had some serious fun owning (and getting owned by) Kengo last night, I hope to do the same tonight again! :D

I happen to have multiple nicks, but i use Aka'lamanaia mainly. This nick happened to be in my mind when i registered here thought. Btw chang i think ya wanna look the JA Cheats thread in this forum, i got a question.

I respect you for sticking to your beliefs, I wouldn't change my settings just because one person complained either. But still, team damage, while "more realistic" is just annoying.

Rather than making the action more intense, it serves to cut down on the action by making you hold your fire in a lot more situations, which I suppose saves ammo... or else it allows other people to disrupt gameplay more easily either through inexperience or even malice.

I totally agree with Kurgan on this one, and I'm glad you turned FF off before I was on Chop Shop yesterday! Sure it is more realistic, but its going to be extremely hard to not wipe your team out on a regular basis, and I think when Gothix 'accidentally' hits me with laser fire for the 20th time when on my team, I might get frustrated (just kidding) ;)

It didn't seem to me that the long range 'spraying' or spamming into a melee of fighters was very effective anyway, its extremely hard to hit anyone at long ranges like that with anything other than missiles. I just think we'd end up afraid to use our laser cannons in a dogfight at all, it would be so easy to miss someone and hit one of your guys infront. Thats aside from the occasional person who will go on a teamkilling spree.

I feel the same with most games actually. Counter Strike and TFC for me are far better with FF off, and the same for JO and JA MP as well. It just gets chaotic in most games with FF on, especially with newcomers constantly coming on with no idea what to do.

I'm trying to remember if the original X-Wing actually had FF on....can't remember.

You seemed to really love that Y-wing Gothix, it ain't half bad is it? :) I mean its very slow, and quite a large target, but the shields and armour are so powerful it just seems to keep on going. I suppose its a bit open to missiles, if those Tie Bombers weren't so vulnerable themselves...

oh i give up, i cant get it to work, it worked perfectly on the other computer but when i put all the files in data base (exactly the same way i did it on the other computer) it doent work, ive put it in base and it still doesnt work. Dont tel me i need to dl the new patch cos i have it, ive done everything but this bloody mod wont work.

Archived