Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

Originally posted by Kengo

You seemed to really love that Y-wing Gothix, it ain't half bad is it? :) I mean its very slow, and quite a large target, but the shields and armour are so powerful it just seems to keep on going. I suppose its a bit open to missiles, if those Tie Bombers weren't so vulnerable themselves...

Yeah, the Y-wing is great. Besides, they aren't that vulnerable when you stick close to the main asteroid. As well, I love Z-95 - you can make some incredibly fast turns with it. I think I remember you taking on three TIE in a row in that one yesterday. :)

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe :) Yeh, the Z-95 is great but seems to be balanced by not being able to lock on with its missiles, otherwise it would be a little too powerful. Those concussion missiles on the A-wing are truely lethal, just as they were back in the days of X-Wing.

I remember this one mission where you had to defend a Rebel ship (blockade runner I think) from a freaking Frigate or something huge, which launched around 30 waves of tie bombers followed by coming in to attack your ship itself - madness! I think I played that mission a few hundred times, never beat it, and killed around 1000 tie bombers total, in my A-Wing - they rule! :D

So although the A-wing and Tie Interceptor are the ones everyone queues up to fly at the start, you come to find that all the ships can be great if used correctly, except maybe the Tie Bomber which I have yet to see anyone do even OK in as yet! Balancing wise, I think you Asteroids guys did a great job in getting the craft and sides pretty well balanced, no easy task.

Originally posted by SlapNut

oh i give up, i cant get it to work, it worked perfectly on the other computer but when i put all the files in data base (exactly the same way i did it on the other computer) it doent work, ive put it in base and it still doesnt work. Dont tel me i need to dl the new patch cos i have it, ive done everything but this bloody mod wont work.

This is directly out of the manual that you probably didn't read:

Note: it is very important that all of the asteroids files (except asteroids.bat and asteroids_ded.bat) are in the “asteroids” folder and that the “asteroids” folder is in the “GameData” folder and nowhere else. Do not put the “asteroids” folder in the “base” folder. Do not take the asteroids .pk3 files out of the “asteroids” folder and put them in your “base” folder. The mod won’t function properly if you do that.

To launch Jedi Academy with the Asteroids Mod you must use the asteroids.bat file provided with the mod. Simply double-click the asteroids.bat file in your GameData folder. If you want to create a server running the Asteroids Mod, double-click the asteroids_ded.bat file. For convenience, you can create a Shortcut to either of those files by right-clicking the .bat file and dragging to your Desktop. Select “Create Shortcut(s) Here”. Launching the game with the All Seeing Eye causes kill messages to be reported strangely (and we don’t know why).

Originally posted by Kurgan

I've never had anyone ask me to turn Friendly Fire on, rather it seems like another one of those options that the admin has to put on people to make it "more challenging." If that floats your boat fine. But I find it doesn't add anything to CTF, so I don't use it in vehicle combat either. I suppose it works best in smaller games.

The TWL Rules for CTF ladder matches in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy had friendly fire ON. People don't ask for it to be turned on because it's much easier with it off (shoot some rockets into a group, miraculously kill only the other team), and people like easy.

I'm trying to remember if the original X-Wing actually had FF on....can't remember.

Didn't play X-Wing but played TIE Fighter (for MS-DOS) and I'm pretty sure weapons damaged all other vehicles, Imperial, Rebellion, or Neutral.

Originally posted by ace_rogue1

yea i think its way better with friendly fire on, as it more realistic, if u can say that about star wars.

it also makes u a better player as u'll need skill to hit an enemy in a tight dogfight with an ally.

but i have ACCIDENTLY blown my allys away!

now to create a :deathstar level for asteroids...i wish i could

Amen to both of your points.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

People don't ask for it to be turned on because it's much easier with it off (shoot some rockets into a group, miraculously kill only the other team), and people like easy.

Didn't play X-Wing but played TIE Fighter (for MS-DOS) and I'm pretty sure weapons damaged all other vehicles, Imperial, Rebellion, or Neutral.

I suppose on or off, its going to be the same for both teams and all pilots. I think having it on might reward more skillful pilots a little, but I think the people who pay for unskilled pilots will be their teamates. Perhaps a big test with it on then off might prove instructive, with the same players for both.

I think you might be right about the original Z-Wing and Tie Fighter games, I'm struggeling to remember. I don't remember shooting any of my own ships out of the sky, but I was pretty careful in those days...and its the kind of thing you willfully try to forget anyway- just like Gothix apparently killing me in a Tie Bomber :D

originally posted by Kengo

I'm trying to remember if the original X-Wing actually had FF on....can't remember.

Yep, X-Wing and Tie Fighter both had friendly fire on. Fortunately, the Rebels usually gave you the benefit of the doubt and didn't fire on you. The Empire, on the other hand, wasn't so understanding. Just one errant laser blast on a capital ship and you were its enemy for life. I remember one mission when I blew a Y-Wing away when it was making a bombing run on a Star Destroyer, I accidentally hit the capital ship with a single laser. I became its primary target, it was firing full broadsides at me! On another mission a Star Destroyer actually angled its bow up to ram me! :eek:

Good thing the gunners aren't so vindictive on the Siege destroyer map.

Even though the A-Wing may be faster, I can guarantee that I can shoot any A-Wing out of the sky which I demonstrated yesterday. I showed people on Amidala's server the strengths and weaknesses of the A-Wing, like the fact that a linked shot from the TIE/I or TIE/A X/1 has a good probability of destroying the A-Wing. and [DEATH]ALEGIS knows first hand how fragile the A-Wing is.

I suppose on or off, its going to be the same for both teams and all pilots. I think having it on might reward more skillful pilots a little, but I think the people who pay for unskilled pilots will be their teamates. Perhaps a big test with it on then off might prove instructive, with the same players for both.

I think you might be right about the original Z-Wing and Tie Fighter games, I'm struggeling to remember. I don't remember shooting any of my own ships out of the sky, but I was pretty careful in those days...and its the kind of thing you willfully try to forget anyway- just like Gothix apparently killing me in a Tie Bomber :D

How and when will they become skillful pilots if they don't have to worry about hitting their own team members?

There is no doubt friendly fire changes the way you play (for the better in my opinion). You have to be more precise and quick-thinking (wingman crossing into my line of fire, gotta hold my fire in a second and reposition), and like I said, that's not as easy.

If you play primarily FFA and Duel (most players), friendly fire isn't even an issue: you have no "friends", and you are trying to kill anything that moves. It encourages a "shoot first, ask questions later" style of play.

Team games like CTF and TDM (TFFA) are different, and the Asteroids maps are TFFA. You only want to kill the other team, not your own, so you can't just blast away. It's harder and more challenging and more realistic (why would a rocket or thermal detonator going off kill only the enemy team member but not harm your own team member standing right next to him?)

I increased the saber damage on my servers to make it more "realistic" also (I know lightsabers aren't "real", but you know what I mean), i.e. Qui-gon, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Qui-gon sticking his lightsaber through solid-steel blast doors, etc. You shouldn't have to hit someone 5-10 times with a lightsaber in order to kill them.

As for TIE Fighter, I remember now: you definitely had to be careful, because not only could your lasers destroy other TIE fighters, but if you accidentally shot at an Imperial space platform or frigate, it would return fire (and rightly so, you traitor\teamkiller\Rebel-stooge scum!).

P.S.: It's so refreshing in a Jedi Knight game to be talking about the merits and disadvantages of friendly fire, instead of what color lightsaber you use, and whether or not you have "honor" if you don't bow before a duel.

Originally posted by SD_Radical_Ed

hey amidala, udo you know anyone who would want to try hosting my new map im going to release on their server?

btw, i dont bow before a duel... because i am Ninja! I am a Chunin Ranked Ninja! HAH!

Post it as you are planning to do and people will download it. Make sure you add bot support if it's possible.

The problem with custom maps, as I've said many times before, is that people in this community only seem to download Darth Maul skins and killtrackers, rarely maps. After many many many attempts to get my regular players to download 3rd-party maps, I've given up.

Haha Never, I think its fair to say they took reacting to FF a little too far in Tie Fighter! I remember I got the Tie Fighter Demo a while after X-wing, and I just went around that mission trying to take out all the Imperials (including a corvette). What can I say, I'm a rebel without a gause-cannon (sorry...).

Originally posted by Destroyder121

I primariraly like ywing, cause its slow and good to kill people with(I pwned kengo with turret couple times....:D ).

I wish people didn't remember killing me :) Yeh, those Y wings are a pain to take down, you never seem to be able to damage them enough in one attack run, and those turrets are surprisingly effective if you get too close.

How and when will they become skillful pilots if they don't have to worry about hitting their own team members?

There is no doubt friendly fire changes the way you play (for the better in my opinion). You have to be more precise and quick-thinking (wingman crossing into my line of fire, gotta hold my fire in a second and reposition), and like I said, that's not as easy.

I increased the saber damage on my servers to make it more "realistic" also (I know lightsabers aren't "real", but you know what I mean), i.e. Qui-gon, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Qui-gon sticking his lightsaber through solid-steel blast doors, etc. You shouldn't have to hit someone 5-10 times with a lightsaber in order to kill them.

I was on the Chop Shop server for several hours today with FF on and it has changed my opinion a fair bit. There weren't that many incidents of FF kills, and with a bit of care it wasn't that hard to avoid. The only time it happened that much was when the Ties were defending the SD and got a little mixed up when the Rebels flew in fast, there were a good many team kills that day :) No one got very upset about team kills or maliciously did it - I still think you could have a problem if that started happening, but admins can take care of that I guess. I found myself paying more attention to teamates and being more careful, and it was no bad thing, although it cost me the occasional kill. One guy seemed to always be right between me and a teamate!

I am a big supporter of increasing saber damage (as they did with Promod), one or two hit kills seems perfectly reasonable for me, and makes them a far more effective weapon. I know I never shut up about Promod, but it got the gunner/saberist balance to such a great balance in JO.

It is nice for the issues to not be so cosmetic! I think I've noticed an equivalent of the honour thing already though - some people get annoyed with deliberate ramming, others consider it perfectly OK. Being as it is just using the Rebel advantage of armour and shields, and it was a common Tie tactic in other games to suicide ram people, I myself don't see any problem with it - but some people get very narked.

It would be nice to think Map-Review could help with the proliferation of custom maps, I will visit our drawing board...

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

I am equally non plussed... For multiplayer flying frivolity in the SW universe Rebel Strike is pretty darn good, even if it is on the cube....

ASTEROIDS ARE COMING...COOL !! I CAN FINALLY USE THAT BRUCE WILLIS SKIN !!!!

MTFBWYA

Im a KOTOR groupie at the momment, JA is a 2 disc coaster set as far as I'm concerned......

KOTOR ROX !!!

I agree Rebel strike rocks!:atat:

Originally posted by t3rr0r

how about me sacrificing a y-wing to steal your a-wing? ;D

i'm overlord by the way. *points to signature*

Oh Lord, I remember that.....kinda of obvious really, the way you flew it right into the hangar floor! :D

Theres a Bruce Willis skin? Point me that way!

This is directly out of the manual that you probably didn't read:

yes i did read it, i followed exactly as both of the things said i tryed both then tryed another way and nothing works, please dont say that i probably didnt read it cos i did.

yes i did read it, i followed exactly as both of the things said i tryed both then tryed another way and nothing works, please dont say that i probably didnt read it cos i did.

The Asteroids Mod Manual

Note: it is very important that all of the asteroids files (except asteroids.bat and asteroids_ded.bat) are in the “asteroids” folder and that the “asteroids” folder is in the “GameData” folder and nowhere else. Do not put the “asteroids” folder in the “base” folder. Do not take the asteroids .pk3 files out of the “asteroids” folder and put them in your “base” folder. The mod won’t function properly if you do that.

oh i give up, i cant get it to work, it worked perfectly on the other computer but when i put all the files in data base (exactly the same way i did it on the other computer) it doent work, ive put it in base and it still doesnt work. Dont tel me i need to dl the new patch cos i have it, ive done everything but this bloody mod wont work.

Originally posted by AIVAS

I have played this on a server that ran ja+ rather than asteroids as a mod, just played the map, and it worked perfectly, exactly the same as with asteroids mod included.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

If you try to run these maps without the mod, it simply will not perform correctly. If the maps even run at all, the asteroids map will be so laggy it will be unplayable (the original implementation of the asteroid field was not network-friendly). The vehicles will not behave as they should, you will not get proper kill credit, the "Siege Destroyer 2" map will make every client who tries to load it crash horribly, etc, etc. These are not optional fixes that were put into this mod.

You MUST run the mod to use the new ships and maps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You heard the man.

If people choose to ignore this advice and try to run the maps outside the mod, please don't come here and whine that "Asteroids sucks", or it's buggy, or people can't connect, etc. etc. etc. Mike Gummelt worked very hard to add code to fix bugs and tie things together so Asteroids works properly and gives you a good gaming experience.

Trying to run the maps and vehicles without the code fixes the mod provides is like trying to drive a car with a steering wheel and gas pedal but no brakes.

It drives just as well as a complete car until you have to stop.

I was just wondering, your models for the ships are nice, but they don't look very rebel like (almost like they were straight out of the factory infact), are we aloud to reskin them at all and release or would you not like that, another thing, could i use your ywing and add an ion cannon to replace the turret laser, i just feel that thats more authentic to the films.:biggs:

I rate this mod 5/10. Firstable, I see a lot of bugs, like the hyperspacing is very strange, and it's all unbalanced. Imperials don't stand a chance, and it's all a turn-and-spin-until-you-can-see-your-enemy party. There's also bugged messages like "Peter was killed by MP_INGAME_VEHICLE_YWING_LASER". The A-wing needs some damn revamping too.

I appreciate your effort though. I don't play JA anymore anyways, it's mostly SWG and GameCube for me right now...

And Astrotoy, so what if it's on the Gamecube? Don't you think the PS2 processor would crash and burn if you tried to play Rebel Strike on PS2? I mean, we must not overload the little Pentium 1 processor, must we... ;)

There's also bugged messages like "Peter was killed by MP_INGAME_VEHICLE_YWING_LASER". The A-wing needs some damn revamping too.
If you get this message you haven't installed it correctly. Remove the 2 .bat files from the asteroids folder and place in gamedata. Then create a shortcut from there to your desktop for ease of use :).

Archived