Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

Apprenently I'm so awesome that I had to be listed twice in the beta tester credits. :D

Anyway, I'm porting the Asteroids code into OJP, ChangKhan already cleared it for his code, but do I have to get permission from anyone else? At this point all I'm porting is the code and possibly the vehicles.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Andy lets put things in perspective. You could possibly be the best asterodis pilot going around, and with your ping around 50 not much is gonna stop you short of a powerloss.

This isnt said to make your head swell, but to show that your always refering to your own games when you talk about balance.

Your impact on the match is therefore very large, as shown in your screenshot, with you having something like 70% of the points for your team.

Most people arent gonna get your numbers so your referring to a game that is more than 90% of the time not going to occur for the average players.

I recommend that, if you have the time, go to an asteroid server and spec a few matches, without any other notably good pilots, to relly get the feel of the fairness for the game for the average player.

PS could someone PLEASE PLEASE setup an Asteroids server in Australia, because much as i like playing on the "official" server for it, my distance from the server gives me serious lag problems, and i cant really play when more than 6 people are playing, as i cant aim at all, and i end up just ramming players and asteroid alike without knowing, believe me its not funny when you suddenly appear in the hangar for no reason, as i didnt see my ship blow up or any message displayed :(

Oh come on, I barely find servers for Asteroids that have good pings. I thought people could just get into the game and play and have fun, like with Siege. I don't want to practice ten nights to become an elite pilot... I think you should think about us too, it's obvious you're the only one in the galaxy far far away that has no problem with the A-Wing. Ok, maybe ChangKhan too, or all the other developers involved. Do as you want, it is your mod/map, I'm just suggesting something ;)

I don't understand why everyone is crying about that A-wing. Yeah, it's tough to take down and it has very high manuverablility, but it is weak when it comes to combat. I have taken A-wings down with the Imp crafts. It takes practice and timing (play chicken with them and then move out of the way while shooting). Though I have a few thoughts on stuff that could be changed as others expand on it, overall I think this is a great mod. It adds a completely different element to the game that should keep the game going, until the next Jedi game comes out.

Originally posted by razorace

Anyway, I'm porting the Asteroids code into OJP, ChangKhan already cleared it for his code, but do I have to get permission from anyone else? At this point all I'm porting is the code and possibly the vehicles.

Well for vehicles, you would have to talk to Manquesa and 7IM for permission, but they will likely say yes as long as credit is given.

Originally posted by Andy867

Ok, I know a lot of you complain about the A-Wings and them being too powerful and the rebels always winning and what-not.

Where does it say here that the Rebels are winning? (and you can ignore the part about me ;) )

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/unfairness.jpg

These one on one battles of yours only prove that the server doesn't get many players.....

Amidala's did how ever prove who's right. Me be imp will win if it's n00b vs 1337 fighter but n00b vs n00b rebel will all way's win.

It will just take time for us to practice with imperials. Me, i like the imperials the most. A-wings prove to be the biggest challence but it's possible and i just need to train myself more with it.. It's also hard for imp cause no one except for me wants to be them and usually the teams are feked..

all i'm gona say is this. The Asteroids source files have been released. If you wanna rework it to better suit you need, go right ahead.

Here's an idea. If somebody were to make a Tie-Defender, you could replace the useless Tie-Bomber with that. It'd help.

Originally posted by Master William

and what if we all don't have the time to practice? What if I just want to get into the game quickly and play?

What game worth playing lets no-practice people have an even footing with people who actually put in the time to practice and get better?

So, what's the deal with the weird hyperspace effects. No one answered my question, you guys all said stuff about stars going sideways (which only happened to me on KFS).

Also, today I took out A-wings atleast 20 times (I stopped counting after that) with a TIE Interceptor and a TIE Advanced X1.

Manquesa, I thought that you were making a TIE Defender? Maybe that was someone else, but I'm still waiting for that Slave I. But, great idea. I'm sure if enough people read this forum, it might happen. I personally HATE the TIE Bomber.

Anyway, I G2G, so please answer my question about the hyperspace effects.

:fett:

I am working on the gameplay balance issue (on my server at least). I have come up with a way to even the odds somewhat, as I see it, without changing the vehicles themselves. I have asteroids2 done but I am doing something wrong with asteroids1 (understandable, since I don't know anything about mapping). My compiled asteroids.bsp file is much smaller than the original and I don't understand why. My hangars look good and the large asteroid looks good at first, but when I crash into it I don't die and the large asteroid turns inside out. I compiled asteroids2 the same way and it turned out fine.

Also, I increased the timelimit on siege_destroyer2 to 12 minutes and increased the time it takes for the Millennium Falcon to be pulled into the ship to 12 minutes on my server. That makes it easier for small teams to accomplish all the objectives most of the time, and the game then becomes a race to see which team can do it the fastest (the way Siege is supposed to work).

Yea the 12 mins is better for small games, i had 2 games against changkhan as a 2 vs 2 and although his team won both as rebels and imperials, he won in last minute, and we were on the final objective at end

only problem with the 12 mins limit is that once it gets to 8 mins, the clock stops counting, so for the final 4 mins you dont know what the time is apart from the 1 minute left announcement

Also im not finding the a-wing a problem myself, but my imperial teammates (god i love the tie advanced) that arent experienced are having big problems with them.

Also i heard that on your Asteroids maps you are replacing 1 a-wing with an x-wing, and replacing a tie bomber with the tie advanced, which i think is a good idea

i just hope this doesnt make the imperials overpowering in a large asteroid dogfight.

now i know at least how to fix the kill messages; i still have to fix the hyperspace issue

In the beginning it worked, then afterwards i was like; hmm weird i see this blue square far away and get this white stripes next to me. I reconnected and it worked...since then however it didnt work at all anymore. Any thoughts?

Well, my first suggestion since it has worked before is to make sure to connect with the asteroids.bat and not through like All-Seeing Eye or GameSpy Aracade since for some even, it can load the map and vehicles up fine, but it wont load up the death messages and code fixes properly, not without proper adjustments, but till, the foremost idea is to just do like the readme says and load up through asteroids.bat. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to check your video settings for the game and also the video card settings itself, and see if an update is available.

Originally posted by Sabre9

What game worth playing lets no-practice people have an even footing with people who actually put in the time to practice and get better?

I have some games on a list, but I can't be bothered, because I do not care about Asteroids or that stuff anymore, so... no list for you, hehe.

Originally posted by Master William

I have some games on a list, but I can't be bothered, because I do not care about Asteroids or that stuff anymore, so... no list for you, hehe.

I believe we've been saved from a pointless list...

If there are games that mean someone who has just started can kill a veteran with little difficulty, what would be the point of playing at all? It would have to be based upon pure luck and involve no skill. I suppose if you get a bunch of cheats for Counter Strike, that would be true, true but sad....

Archived