Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

Hmmm grumbling time for Liberator. Bring out your nerds, bring out your nerds! LoL just kidding. In playing Asteroids Im starting to get really annoyed by the lead targetting indicator. Does anyone know a way to turn it off. Im talking about that red circle thingie. Oh and if anyone knows how to edit the vehicle characteristics it would be nice to let know HOW to mess with them. That's all folks.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sure, just type cg_drawleadtargetindicator 0 (or is it cg_leadtargetindicator 0 )in the console and that will turn it off, but expect to see a drop in your kill ratio. and you just have to open up the invidual pk3s of the intended vehicle, but dont expect to be able to play on servers with your modified vehicles since the server will detect the invalid pk3 and kick you out. The only good modifiying the specs for vehicles is to learn how to do it, but I would wait until Manquesa finishes his vehicle tutorial which goes a little more in depth than the one released with Siege Destroyer

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Kurgan

Not so bad except when it's a pointless bump like the one he gave. ; p

Well, that depends. Most bumps are pointless, they're just trying to revive old threads. I wonder though, why in ASE there is only one server running asteroids, and it is always empty. I guess all the honourz n00bs missed their /amlaming.

The most popular mod in JA by far is JA+ Mod.

That tells you something (and I suspect that thing is that the community has been largely taken over by h0n0rz n00bs & god-wannabe's). ; p

Asteroids is a quality mod, and the fact that few people choose to use it doesn't change that fact.

Actually there are some practical reasons why it's not more widely used is that it takes up a LOT of bandwidth, that and it's "complicated" to run (ie: most people don't know how to a run a mod unless it's something you can just dump into /base and forget about). Most people are afraid to download anything bigger than a skin or dueling map it seems.

Quality and success don't neccisarily go hand in hand, thats sadly true in all walks of life. I felt ProMod to be absolutely genius for JO, yet it had only a small proportion of downloads and servers compared to other mods I felt were a lot more cosmetic. ProMod attempted to totally rebalance the game, and it did feel like a new, more enjoyable type of JO to me, not like the exact same JO with loads of largely needless things thrown in - yet it never became a mainstream mod.

Asteroids is great I feel, and it did get a big publicity kick due to the big names involved in creating it, but even then it doesn't seem to be mainstream either, and thats a shame methinks. I mean, even if you look at Siege, which actually ships with the game and requires no modding or playing with files to work, its really hard to find many good siege servers with many people on. I don't get that either.

• 1 month later...

*Sigh...*

I'm just reviving this thread for a simple reason.

Asteroids TFFA Mod, I am requesting permission to use your map and vehicles and modify and release it as a new map.

Amidala, just to be ahead of you, I didn't ask last time for the Prequel Era Asteroids TFFA Mod because I was a complete dumbass then.

So, please I wish to have permission to release a modification of this map and its vehicles.

Thanx.

:fett:

I forwarded your request to ChangKhan, and we'll see what he says.

Basically you'd need the permission of the individuals who did each thing, the map maker, the vehicle maker(s) and the coder(s).

IF permission is given (and let me stress it is NOT YET GIVEN), then you must give full credit in your documentation.

Again let me stress, I can't give you permission, so I sent it to Chang, 'cause he coordinated the whole thing really.

For now, I just want a server that runs the mod with with asteroids 1 in the rotation. (The one with the big asteroid)

And hopefully later on, a version that has a bit more balance for the imperial ships. The reason that imperials were so powerful was numbers, the republic had better ships. So when you have even teams, the imps are kinda screwed with lock on secondary of the rebs, their ships still being moderatley fast (other than y-wing), and being completley outclassed by A-wing, and having the tie bomber which is nothing but a slow tie fighter that has a weak secondary lock on.

The Imperials have 3 good dogfighter ships (all except the bomber), the Rebels have 1 (the Awing).

Now granted, the Awing is probably better in most respects than all the Imperial ships (faster, smaller target profile, more firepower) but it's also really weak (direct hit and he's history), but still.

In Siege Destroyer2 it's more balanced because the Rebel's mission is one of bombing, so the fact that their ships are for bombing makes more sense. Awings don't last long against gun turrets for example. The Imperials need ships to take out the Rebels fast and stay alive or just throw as many as they can into the fray. The Bomber is next to useless in Siege unless the person is really really good or the Rebels just sit there firing from a distance (which I have seen several people do, since you want to stay out of turbolaser range anyway rather than doing lots of flyby's).

The Imperial Shuttle helps a little bit, by letting you drop some mines to prevent people taking easy strafing runs against certain targets or from raming the tractor beam kamikaze style and winning too easily.

The Imperials don't have to win every dog fight in Siege after all, they mearly have to slow the Rebels down long enough for the 8 minute timer to be up. In Destroyer (the original) you get a full 20 minutes, and it's basically going to be TIE Fighter vs. Z95. The Z95 is faster and more manuverable than the Xwing, so it can unload all its missiles, etc into the targets and get away. The Bomber is too slow, and the Xwing, while useful for the first few objectives (basically launching all its missiles into the Solar Ionization dome, shield domes/com array) it's such an easy target for the TIEs. The Bomber of course is even worse in this version than in the second (and no big juicy Ywings to "bomb").

Basically the mod is "done" and there won't likely be anymore updates from the team that did Asteroids in the near future. If there was anything that needed to be tweaked I'd say it would be the TIE Bomber. But there isn't much use for a bomber on the Imperial team in Siege anyway.

When it comes to Dogfighting in TFFA with Asteroids, it's basically going to be Awing vs. the 3 dog fighting Imp ships, except where you have people that are really good, or who like to bunch up and take people out from a distance with wingmen. It can work, it's just that you can't play the same way with each ship as the Rebels, since most of them are dedicated bombers.

The Imperials have 3 good dogfighter ships (all except the bomber), the Rebels have 1 (the Awing).

Now granted, the Awing is probably better in most respects than all the Imperial ships (faster, smaller target profile, more firepower) but it's also really weak (direct hit and he's history), but still.

In Siege Destroyer2 it's more balanced because the Rebel's mission is one of bombing, so the fact that their ships are for bombing makes more sense. Awings don't last long against gun turrets for example. The Imperials need ships to take out the Rebels fast and stay alive or just throw as many as they can into the fray. The Bomber is next to useless in Siege unless the person is really really good or the Rebels just sit there firing from a distance (which I have seen several people do, since you want to stay out of turbolaser range anyway rather than doing lots of flyby's).

The Imperial Shuttle helps a little bit, by letting you drop some mines to prevent people taking easy strafing runs against certain targets or from raming the tractor beam kamikaze style and winning too easily.

The Imperials don't have to win every dog fight in Siege after all, they mearly have to slow the Rebels down long enough for the 8 minute timer to be up. In Destroyer (the original) you get a full 20 minutes, and it's basically going to be TIE Fighter vs. Z95. The Z95 is faster and more manuverable than the Xwing, so it can unload all its missiles, etc into the targets and get away. The Bomber is too slow, and the Xwing, while useful for the first few objectives (basically launching all its missiles into the Solar Ionization dome, shield domes/com array) it's such an easy target for the TIEs. The Bomber of course is even worse in this version than in the second (and no big juicy Ywings to "bomb").

Basically the mod is "done" and there won't likely be anymore updates from the team that did Asteroids in the near future. If there was anything that needed to be tweaked I'd say it would be the TIE Bomber. But there isn't much use for a bomber on the Imperial team in Siege anyway.

When it comes to Dogfighting in TFFA with Asteroids, it's basically going to be Awing vs. the 3 dog fighting Imp ships, except where you have people that are really good, or who like to bunch up and take people out from a distance with wingmen. It can work, it's just that you can't play the same way with each ship as the Rebels, since most of them are dedicated bombers.

I was mainly referring to ship-to-ship combat, where rebels go from tank (slow, but tons of shields/weapons, y-wing) to a balanced ship (moderate speed, control, as well as shields/weapons, x-wing) as well as having a ship that can outfly any other in the game (A-wing). The imps have only 3 "good" ships, and even though one of them has shields, all are fast, but weak to taking hits. So in pretty much all cases, a good/linked lock-on, or a strafe against any imperial ship will destroy it. That's why I was thinking about seeing if anyone could replace the bomber with the destroyer (if that's the name), which is basically the ultimate tie, think interceptor with 3 wings. Combined with the advanced (and possibly interceptor), it would bring the imperials closer to fighting balance, but there's still the question of ship vs ship, stat-wise the imperials are kind of in a hurt. That's why just upping the health of imperials some might do a lot more than we expect, but it ould have to be tested to find out.

EDIT: and we STILL don't have an asteroids server! :mad:

Yes, Amidala, where did your server go?!?! I loved your server, and now it isn't there. I used to play on it a ton. On days where there were many Asteroids players, there were up to ten people playing!! Could you please tell me where it went? I enjoyed playing on it (especially with the improvements that you made to it).

:fett:

I was planning to use OJP with Asteroids Mod (since it would have cut down file size and fixed a few bugs in addition to the nice TAB bots), but it isn't ready yet, and since my server is going to be gone (along with all the rest of the JediServers servers) in 2 days, it isn't going to happen for awhile.

Amidala, you never did send me your modified "12 minute version" of Destroyer2. I tried contacting you, but I guess all those "proposals" from your gentlemen callers are taking up all your time. ; )

Anyway, someday I'll get an Asteroids server going, just don't know when.

Originally posted by [nWo] The Filth

Mods can't save this game. JKA GO HOME!!

You go first.

I was planning to use OJP with Asteroids Mod (since it would have cut down file size and fixed a few bugs in addition to the nice TAB bots), but it isn't ready yet, and since my server is going to be gone (along with all the rest of the JediServers servers) in 2 days, it isn't going to happen for awhile.

Amidala, you never did send me your modified "12 minute version" of Destroyer2. I tried contacting you, but I guess all those "proposals" from your gentlemen callers are taking up all your time. ; )

Anyway, someday I'll get an Asteroids server going, just don't know when.

I suggest that when you get your server back, let go of siege (mostly) and run an asteroids server, possibly with destroyer 2, but a lot of people would be perfectly happy with the dogfight maps.

I'd be content to run Siege maps + Destroyer2.

Asteroids is cool, but the balance issues stand, plus its a lot easier to bait people with bots if the bots can actually go through the map, rather than just suiciding endlessly.

Are people "ready" for Asteroids FFA yet? I don't know. But I'd rather ease them into it.

Could occasionally use Asteroids TFFA in between when I'm there though (this is me looking to the future).

I've been running destroyer on my server with the siege maps for some time now and people seem to like it, even if the player counts drop to 1/2 or 2/3 of what they usually are when that one is on.

With a code mode like asteroids, you either have it or you can't join. So it's a toss up, but I like my siege!

• 2 months later...

Archived