Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mrjay re-wrote parts of the game code at least 3 days b4 astroids was announced and made hyperspace possibal...nuff said.

So in other words, we beat you by a long shot?

Sorry.. couldn't resist. ; )

Suffice to say that whatever other features you've seen, Asteroids will still have stuff that no other released mod for JA has...

i wanna be unicron with giant lightsaber and cut the death star in half.... err just wondering, will there be uber ships like at the top of the buildings in kotor that everyone will try to grab to get a lot of frags or will all the ships be relatively balanced?

Originally posted by Tinny

i wanna be unicron with giant lightsaber and cut the death star in half.... err just wondering, will there be uber ships like at the top of the buildings in kotor that everyone will try to grab to get a lot of frags or will all the ships be relatively balanced?

Well, relatively speaking, each of the ships are UBER and yet have their own distinct weaknesses. So they will be relatively balanced, although some might find one ship favorable to another and so forth and so on, and so on.

Well, in my opinion the ships in Asteroids are not well balanced.

But let me qualify that statement, bear with me.

Asteroids is based on the concept of "dog fighting" which is essentially ship vs. ship combat.

There is no goal other than frags.

With this in mind, let's look at the ships (a bit vague since the mod isn't finished and some details are subject to change):

The Rebel ships are primarily slow, less manuverable, as well as big and bulky. Sure they have shields and missiles, but in the long run the only ship that can go toe to toe with a good Imperial ship is the A-Wing (so it seems).

The other Rebel ships rely on wingmen to cover them, and have to take long range and "lucky" shots against their enemies. In the time it takes them to get a frag, the faster ships can have gained several.

Also, the Rebel ships tend to come with droids, which (it may be fixed soon though) give you extra points when they are destroyed. Since the Imp ships have no droids, this means the Rebel ships are essentially worth more points.

Now the Imperial ships are all small, fast, and relatively manuverable (except maybe the Tie Bomber). They lack missiles (except the Bomber) and shields (except the Interceptor), but each of the ships are closer balanced to each other, so that it's easier to learn them, and the need for wingmen is less.

They can literally fly circles around the Y-Wing and nail the Rebel ships for easy points. Sure they get fragged, but they can still do a lot of damage before that happens since they're so hard to hit.

The exception is the Bomber which is a little slower. It isn't one I've mastered yet, but the idea with it is to stay back (while your buddies distract enemies) and nail them long range with missiles.

Overall I think that the dogfighting aspect favors the A-Wing and the Imperial ships. It's not impossible to be good with the other rebel ships, but the gameplay naturally flows in that direction.

That's not to say that the other ships aren't useful. I can use the -Wing, Z-95, Y-Wing being very useful for strafing runs in "ground combat" or capital ship/starbase style mission.

To overcome this "unbalance" the key is to have equal teams and ideally 4-16 players.

Well the problem with KOTOR was that it was way too small... probably because the mapper didn't know about the distancecull option to make it so that you can see the whole map at the same time. So the ships fly very fast and get around that map too quickly.

He knew.He was doing somthing...well..you'll see........;)

BTW-

Not to be mean but he finished a Y-Wing,New Falcon,and Tie-Interceptor a while back :mad: He just made them to get them outa the way,he wont show me much n e more..but.....i think he wants us all to be supprised.

BTW:

Im just a messenger dude.

Dont kill the mssenger.

Nothing aginst Raven...maybe Lucas-arts..some of them...the idiots that limited raven on wtf they could do..

Those were the words of any peacefull carolers on xmas night.

The realse is here.I was right and he wants as much suprise as possibal,thats right, KOTOR FLIGHT SCHOOL FINAL IS OUT!!!http://www.pcgamemods.com/3579/

http://www.pcgamemods.com/3579/

http://www.pcgamemods.com/3579/

Major improvments,see for yourself,note,this is a mappack and contains many new vehicles as well,such as- A-Wing,Y-Wing,Tie-Interceptor,Falcon(revised)Tie-Advanced,and custom creations such as-

KOTOR SABRE,PEGASUS,and tweaked ships from the first kfs.

Dont worry,the tweaks made them fair..:) enjoy it.

nOW AN OFFICAL TRUCE BETWEEN US AND RAVEN.

;)

:)

Well..play it...it kicks ass.

Originally posted by SITH 1000

This is for Andy867. I'm waiting for you to battle with me. I have been waiting over a day

Hate to break it to ya, but I avoid the battles since it takes away from my moderating of the Forums, but there are PLENTY of battlers out there, I am just not one of them.. sorry:(

I think that means you have one too many vehicles in loading up in JA, which probably means you have extra custom vehicles besides the ones for KOTOR Flight School Final. Apparently, JA can only support, by default (HINT HINT) 12 vehicles, which includes the ones already included in the game I believe, but if someone could check on that, that'd be great... Yea.... (lil shout-out to Office Space;) )

Ok heres the offical rules for The kotor map pack:

*Feel free to spam this all over the net*

1.You need to get rid of ANY other map with any vehicle activity in them,they may contain un-seperate vehicles inside the pk3.

2.Take out all extra vehicle mods

3.You may only use ONE bonous ship at a time!

4.Have fun...and these arn't really rules...just...how to get the maps to work.

5.Um why is there a 5?Erm...I dunno.Im tired.Im a soup munster.Im your father----s left foot only best freind's brother's cusions uncles mom==='s best freind when she was dreaming im ben afleck!JK!Mhwaahaha I am Kaidon Refk!

6.I know a song that gets on esverybody's nerves!

Actualy i dont want a thread but i do appricate seeing these comments. However the moderrator is right keep comments to the approate mod/maps its just rude to advertise or promote other mods and maps on other threds then the approate one.

but to the subject at hand I am very curious to see how you gents have set up the hyperspace , ie is it in the same style ? meanign the way i did it? I am also curious about your y wing it looked great in the video but my monitor is not the best so i could not see it as well as I would have liked. are any stills of it out ?

and lastly size did you get a light grid to work right on the size of this map ? and how is the lighting of the "fly through" asteroid looking ,(I am varry curious about that)

also I would have loved to have helped ! and if help is still neaded (it did look like you were close to done so I beleive I may be too late on that) feel free to ask .

I am also glad to see (despite what others think) other flight maps taken seriously .I think raven did a great job of making this possible and am very glad that someone has taken up on where my old .7 beta left off (at the mer glimpise of the posibilitys) to a full fledged map. (oddly my asteroids were not taken as well as expected so i did not overly re visit them ,but I did love them so I am very eager to test out yours it seriously looks like a fun map. well good job gentelman.

KOTORMRJay

So if asteroids and KOTOR are not one and the same, then it appears to me someone ripped someone else off. Seeing as how everything asteroids touted as being new and awesome is already in KOTOR. Although asteroids and KOTOR use the same vehicles so I will DL both.

Its not neccessary to delete like the man said look for ships in maps if the map has a drivable ship then you must remove it,its really not hard and I am expectign the asteroids map to have similer issues because we delt with similer problems. you are simpily missing a veh file in some map to make it easer try looking in the pk3s you have ,look for any prefix of "VEH" these are vehicles so if you see a map in you base ANY MAP" look in the pk3 see if you find a "VEH" file if so then this is what you will have to put in the hide folder. I have even heard somone tell me that one of the raven bonus maps had a vehicle in it if so then this too will have to be hidden. so come on it really is not a hard concept .

now to my question when are you gentelman releasing ?

Archived