Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, currently the biggest problem with 2-passenger vehicles is that the client side of the passenger cannot predict where the pilot client machine is going, so it causes this "chugging" effect. However, there has been some ideas to possibly help compensate for this, just have to make them and test them:)

Well, here is some progress of how the specular mapping is coming along. Funny how a guy with Zero editing skill (me) can make decent looking specular textures (for the ships)

awing_spec1.jpg

awing_spec2.jpg

awing_spec3.jpg

awing_spec4.jpg

Enjoy for now!

ywing_spec1.jpg

ywing_spec2.jpg

ywing_spec3.jpg

ywing_spec4.jpg

Enjoy! (dont worry about the landing gear, it is just a minor bug in the compiling which has since been fixed)

Dunno.. Probably since I do believe there is an option under the controls that deal with Joysticks and such. I personally prefer the keyboard/mouse for this. Gives me a more personalized feel to it, even if it lacks the realism of flight control:p

Originally posted by Andy867

Dunno.. Probably since I do believe there is an option under the controls that deal with Joysticks and such. I personally prefer the keyboard/mouse for this. Gives me a more personalized feel to it, even if it lacks the realism of flight control:p

Fair enough. I prefer for the realism flight control. I find it much easier to fly with a joystick rather than mouse. That's what comes when you play X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

I would agree on most flight sims, that a joystick is more practical than the keyboard/mouse combination, but for JA, at least this map, the keyboard/mouse combination seems more fitting. But I will leave the decision up to the public, once the map is released.

Originally posted by Andy867

I would agree on most flight sims, that a joystick is more practical than the keyboard/mouse combination, but for JA, at least this map, the keyboard/mouse combination seems more fitting. But I will leave the decision up to the public, once the map is released.

Good idea. Get the up and running map working first then work on expanding it based on public opinions and ideas.

I disagree, the map should be finished and polished THEN released (in final form).

Releasing it 'as is' or partly done leads to "version hell."

You know the type, you see it on Pcgamemods every day, version after version, leading to confusion. How can a server host a mod if a new version keeps coming out?

And while public feedback is commended, this isn't a "community creation" and we can't just throw in every feature or tweak that people request, since as we know the community is hardly in agreement on anything and it will just mean more delays and versions, etc.

Fixing bugs are one thing, but constantly tweaking gameplay and adding everyone's favorite ship will mean major headaches for the team.

well, the whole joystick thing is already an option for any map be it a flight map or otherwise. Just turn on the joystick in the control configuration settings. I've tried out flying vehicles in JA with a joystick already, but I personally don't like it for the simple reason that you lose control over the targeting reticle which means it's so much harder to aim. Using a joystick would be fine if you have auto aiming but otherwise you need the mouse to point your crosshair, which is why I prefer the keyboard/mouse setup instead.

So anyway, if you wanna use a joystick on the Asteroids map go ahead, it's your choice. (once it's released of course) :)

I agree with Kurgan there, how much I want Asteroids released each day as I play Rebel Strike, it has to be kinda finished in the first version (the longer you wait the better it'll be :) ) The only thing i would find repetive in this mod is the map, but that can be fixed easily (no inspiration? play some rogue squadron!)

oh man that game looks so awesome

The other thing to keep in mind when waiting for Asteroids is that this will NOT BE THE LAST FLIGHT MAP EVER MADE.

There will be nothing to stop people from examining the way Asteroids is made and using that knowledge to make their own flight maps with the improved ships and similar features.

I'm not saying they'll be encouraged to rip it off, but it's no different than making a good CTF map or FFA map.

You check out good maps and see what kind of features go into making a quality product and do likewise in your own.

So this doesn't have to be the end-all be-all of flight maps.

It's really just a simple dog-fighting map where you can test out some ships.

It's more versatile, streamlined and pretty than KOTOR Flight School as well.

So don't worry if Asteroids lacks your favorite ship or feature, because once it's out I'm sure there will be plenty more flight-space based maps out there.

The current crop of ship-based maps is extremely lacking, mainly I think because people don't realize what can be done, they just think making a huge box and tossing in some random vehicle spawns is enough to make it fun.

This should change people's perceptions and lead to more quality flight maps.

Yea, especially like the whole hyperspace effect, and the working Radar and Lead Target indicator. Definitely makes this map the cornerstone for future Space combat maps. And what would be cool is interweaving Space combat with ground combat. I know the Stargate mod was planning something similar to that idea, but due to lack of modding support, the Mod was eventually put on the backburner. But liek Kurgan said this will definitely NOT be the last good Flight map. This is just the beginning.:)

"And what would be cool is interweaving Space combat with ground combat"

hey, i was thinking of this before, like a seige map where u fly your ship (and kill other ships of course) to another planet or space station, get out of it, then whip ya light sabre out and start hacking stuff and people like in normal seige, once you have destroyed or colected what u want from that planet/base, u then fly to the next place and do the enxt part of the seige. yeah i know what ya thinking "that would be way laggy and be mega huge", ah well im sure that if someone smart sat down and workrd on it it would work someday

Archived