Home

Its time (rant about lack of JA players lately)

w00ki3

To say I told ya so.

An average of 400 players worldwide, raven have managed to turn the sequel of a once thriving game into a barren list of empty servers. GJ Raven!

Now you know, that if you listen to the whining, unskilled people, its not gonna make the game popular. They're whining and unskilled for one, very good reason. They don't play the game on a regular basis. And if you target a game at people who don't play on a regular basis, hey presto, we get a dead game.

They might be 'the mass' according to some people, but where are they? Are they all playing in some huge server somewhere? I don't see them.

The 'minority' who would have played this game, run servers for it, keep it active and allow new players to be attracted to it don't bother playing either.

We get ladder site's JA sections closing. Why? Its a new game. I thought that all the ' NOEZ K!CKS LAMERZ...DOOOL MEE' people that the game was targetted for were a majority? Where is that majority?

So as so many people said when this game was released, it's targetted for an unskilled, undedicated group of nubs. I think someone predicted the closing of ladders, gradual decline of players, closure of clans and the death of the game.

So here it is. The prophecy is approaching. Good Fight.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what one of the problems is. My friends used to play, but they got bored. In their minds, you could just hack slash in the boring base maps that came with the game. What they never got to experience was the fun you could have with a clan (if you were in it) or the fun with admin mods (emotes, JK2 flipkicks) or perhaps the KOTOR FLIGHT SCHOOL FINAL mappack. Or even the npc spawning. All of my friends who left JA never did that, they just played a bit and stopped there.

hit the nail on the head Duty

JA was fun for about 4 weeks....

now boring is teh perfect description for it.......Im probably in a different boat than most here, though...couldnt care less about MP, more into storyline and fun ! thus KOTOR has been occupyimg my time nicely

MTFBWYA

gj want a badge?

I said average. Thats 24 hours, 7 days a week. It also doesn't include bots.

Sure theres times when hardly anyone plays, but thats true for all games. And when you compare 400 to the average number for other games (I be;ieve 4 months after the release of JK2 the average was 690), its clear that the game's popularity has declined.

As said before, the 'NO KIKERZ MEH' nubs were listened to. The game was simplified to accomodate them. The game is now filled with pointless 'mov13 l!k3' moves that only a complete imbecile would walk into, leaving the best chance for a kill either battling a complete moron, or randomly flailing someone.

This 'mass' that raven adapted the game to accomodate...where is it? If JK2 was dominated by a minority that played competetively, why has JA (a game designed for this 'mass') got fewer players?

Really. All you people who were crying to keep kicks, ptk, gripkicks out of the game because 'L4MERZ (ADM!N B4N TAHT L4M3R!!121)' were literally owning people with them, have a frankly boring, unvaried, random game, with a low player base. Again, GJ Raven and 'I told ya so' :)

Then why don't you actually go to the competitive servers, like the BWN ones? They are very nice, and a lot of very skilled players go there. Me, for example, I go there all the time, try Old Folks Home. And Astrotoy, have you catually tried MP for any amount on time? Have you tried dueling?

Your sarcasm is not funny.

hit the nail on the head Duty

JA was fun for about 4 weeks....

now boring is teh perfect description for it.......Im probably in a different boat than most here, though...couldnt care less about MP, more into storyline and fun ! thus KOTOR has been occupyimg my time nicely

MTFBWYA

LOL

Originally posted by Duty

gj want a badge?

please.

oh and i scaned again (another badge for me), some hours later and this time i checked the "no bots" box(i didnt have it checked before), so it wouldnt count bots in the player total, and there was more players than before (1557 players) :)

all badges badges..... are belong to us

It's a shame that TWl closed the ladder, and the ESL has very low activity too, unfortunately theres just not enough competitive interest. I idle in pickups and have to wait about an hour a time for a pug to start, then wait another 20 mins for 10 ppl to add in.

It's a shame cos I quite enjoyed this game. :(

Though good mods are growing (not admin mods, i mean mods like tmu,cts,asteroids(*drools*)) etc which will change gameplay and offer variety. Thank god for them, only it will take some time for them to come out but they have all my respect

After JA was released I played Siege like mad, played no duels/ffa or ctf and all that, just siege on the servers and i damn loved it..then each match it would be like 3v11 after a while. I was mad and didn't play JA for a long while, then i got the fever again and could play 24/7 on all kinds of servers. I still would be, but ATM i'm in KOTOR (since it's SP i'll be back shortly ^^) damn that game has gotten me into its grip and is simply AMAZING. Ask around, many many here are playing KOTOR atm so after a month or two when we all finished the game 2 times we'll be back (at least I hope 'we')

Unfortunately about the leagues, *we* were about to join some too but it would be so much nicer for more activity around that. If there would be a lot of clan competition in specific leagues it would boost JA activity and perhaps communicaten between clans

I like the lame katas; though, I have made it a personal rule to never use them unless I accidentally do it. That is very easy to do. Mouse 1, Mouse 2 blah blah.

I always use singles. I like the lame Katas, because I find them easy to defend against and they always leave the player who thinks they're getting an easy kill wide open for attack.

I love the guys that run around with dual sabers spaming that twirling saber move. While everyone else runs from their center. I just do a role stab right into their dumb AS*S. I either kill them or severally wound them. The really dumb people are though's that do the katas in a duel. lol

So in all I understand why people don't like JA. When I first started playing there were nothing, but people doing them lame katas I learned to play around that. I get satisfaction knowing I used skill and timing with basic moves. Against someone who thinks they can kata me or do flying spin roles at me the hole time. They are just annoying and fun to kill.

So you don't like the special moves don's use them.;) They do a great amount of damage to the unsuspecting player, but they are not all powerful.:o

I like special moves just fine, but as you said, they leave you wide open, and only an idiot would fall for them.

They removed a vast array of intricities and replaced them with moves that are 'simple to pull off' and look 'movie like'. This was obviously done for the unskilled masses. However, these unskilled masses have deserted the game.

Whats left of these (for want of a better word) noobs is a handfull of rpg'ers who like to reenact Luke skywalker's heroic battle against an evil guy aswell as fighting with the cute teddy bears against the rebel scum. Joy.

btw sidenote: MasteR PudsLiG do you have any idea what an average is?

As these useless 'special moves' (although i see nothing special about them) have replaced many other moves, the game on any serious level has become a 'run, mash and bump' game. Don't try denying it. I and others see no point in dedicating and practicing a game, that any old nub can 'own' at in 15 minutes. Honestly, I can kill old JK2 vets in JA on a whim. Maybe I'm just talented.

Sure mods are nice. The rpg stuff, xmod etc. But they can never revive a game that in its sale condition is fundamentally flawed. Mods can't revive a community, only stratify and orthodox an existing one.

I revel in it. I told ya so.

Still, a decent mod could make the game a lot more fun. Look at some of the gameplay mods for Jedi Outcast, like the saber mod that made saber battles more skill oriented than hack and slash, and the merc mod which added tons of features.

Hopefully Raven will rethink things for the next Jedi Knight installment. Personally, I'm hoping they emphasize the 'customizable character' aspects of the game. Releasing it with more player model pieces to choose from, more sabers, customizable taunts, and perhaps even customizable move sets. I also like the idea of vehicles, though the spaceships are nearly unusable as things are. Hopefully they'll fix that, and if they do then possibly implement some flight elements into the next game. While I'm daydreaming, I'd also like to see either something much better storywise, or at the very least a break from the post-OT/Kyle oriented stories and maybe set something during the movies (but not directly related to anything we see in them, I've had enough trench runs against the Death Star thankyouverymuch), or during/before the prequels, like KotOR or during the Clone Wars (very much looking forward to that conversion).

Heh. I understand you just wanted to say 'I told you so.', but contructive criticism usually does more good. Would you rather see Raven's staff run away crying, or fix what you think is wrong and make a better game?

An average of 400 players worldwide

No, I've never ever seen the number drop below 900(that was new years eve night :p)

At this moment there's 1512 playing (no bots) - THAT is what it's usually like, 'usually' being similar to 'average' i'm pretty sure there's no where near an average of 400 players :rolleyes:

why has JA (a game designed for this 'mass') got fewer players?

It doesn't, go figure.

then possibly implement some flight elements into the next game.

Meh, this is a jk game, unlikely :p

Then why don't you actually go to the competitive servers, like the BWN ones?

Yep, try and be a reg on competitive servers.

Also, please note their are ladders for duelling (nf&ff) and XMOD ctf at proving grounds (provinggounds.com), also clans can play at BSC

Its an 'I told ya so' thread. A chance for all those who said 'a game designed for nubs would fail', to gloat.

You judge a game by wrong numbers?

Originally posted by Radd

Releasing it with more player model pieces to choose from, more sabers, customizable taunts, and perhaps even customizable move sets.

Ok, not to be a complete smart*ss, but I am, and I just had to say this(even if it's my first post), but making Customizable Taunts and Move Sets would take heaps of animation on every playable model in the game, think about it.

Originally posted by Duty

I like special moves just fine, but as you said, they leave you wide open, and only an idiot would fall for them.

I don't think they are fine I think they are the lamest. In most games a special move is hard to pull off in JKA. It's mouse 1 and mouse 2 and there ya go.

I played a map tonight and it was full of noobs doing nothing, but katas on top of katas and on top of each other. It was the dumbest thing. There was the guys that did nothing but flying roles into groups of people, the guys that just jump in with dual sabers doing the twirl thing, and I still beat them without the katas. I was hoping people would catch on, but they just continued to try to kata me.

I still made it to the top and ended the game without using katas. I was kind of lame myself I guess? I just waited tell someone did a kata then stabbed them. I made almost all my kills doing that it was pathetic. I don't remimber in JK2 people jumping into groups of people doing cheap moves to make easy kills. Oh wait a minute there were no easy cheap moves in JK2.

If they did make another patch they should get rid of the katas they just cheapen the game play. I fined full force weapons FFAs tend to have few people doing katas they are to busy trying not to get pushed of a ledge or dogging rockets. lol

Originally posted by Bilbo Skywalker

It's a shame that TWl closed the ladder, and the ESL has very low activity too, unfortunately theres just not enough competitive interest. I idle in pickups and have to wait about an hour a time for a pug to start, then wait another 20 mins for 10 ppl to add in.

It's a shame cos I quite enjoyed this game. :(

tis the saddest moment of jk3

When I said 'customizable taunts and move sets' I mean have a variety of pre-set taunts and moves to choose from. Not taunts the players themselves create, that would take a degree in computer animation to pull off. I doubt the casual JK player wants to spend a few years learning computer animation just to make Luke Skywalker flip off Yoda.

Think of it this way, to make customizable characters at all it would take tons of model work for Raven. They did it anyways. How is addeding in a few animations to choose from for a taunt any different?

How about decent moves to choose from?Like a block and kick combo, or a twirl or something, so that different players play differently and have different move sets they prefer to use, instead of wasting time animating something like the katas?

the game has failed in at least one area (id say more, but...). it is played by two totally different styles of players. honor and the way the manual says to play. i think there needs to be another game in there somewhere, but i guess thats just me.

btw, KOTOR is also taking up a lot of the JA players, about half of my clan is playing it instead. but after everyone gets bored of the sp, im sure more people while be on.

Archived