Home

custom computer

kingdomwinds

It's not always the amount but they type. I assume your video card will have one or two as well? You may wanna replace the case ones with some heavy duty guys. I don't have any brand names or suggestions but I'm sure someone will be along with some shortly. And get some good thermal grease for the processor.

Try browsing around http://www.newegg.com and see if anything catches your eye.

The 512 stick'll cost ya less won't it? Go with it. You'll have more room for memory expansion down the road then.

Well, you could go with ThermalTake, they are a really good company for Fans.. you can check out some of their stuff at http://www.coolerguys.com also if you go with an AMD chip make sure to have a high quality thermal paste, like Artic Silver3 to help with the heat transfer. also for Memory, go with pc2700 or 3200 (faster ram) and make sure to get quality HDD, from like MAXTOR, WD, or Seagate(like their barracudas) for a mouse, I would recommend the logitech MX700 Wireless mouse. Great for gaming. and it has a recharge base which doubles over as the receiver. and make sure to get quality speakers, and like the Sound Blaster Live! series or the Audigy, although there are some compatibility issues between Audigy and Jedi Outcast/Academy and a few other games.

No, no! Get two sticks of RAM - because you can then get them running on Dual Channel, which is a lot faster. I'd go for two 256MB sticks of PC3200 DDR SDRAM. You can set them to dual channel in the system BIOS. Read your motherboard manual carefully to ensure you have the sticks in the right slots for Dual Channel mode.

Fans? It all depends what you have in your case. The bear minimum would be one intake fan at the front, and an outtake at the back. You already have one side panel fan, which is good - and the fan at the top you speak of is probably the PSU fan. Obviously then you'll have a CPU and graphics card fan. My PC gets very hot, and the setup I have is: 2 intake fans at the front, 2 outtake fans at the back. An exhaust blower - this fits in a PCI slot, and it's best to put it underneath you graphics card, so it's extracting the hot air from the card and blowing it out the case. I also have a side panel fan. Then there is my PSU fan, CPU fan, NorthBridge fan and graphics card fan. I think that comes to 10 in total, but I just like to keep things cool ;) Also note that all my fans are silent, so I can hardly hear them, despite what you may think.

Bear in mind AMD chips tend to generate more heat than Intels. If you have a CDRW or DVDRW in there, they also generate a lot of heat. Since you already have a side fan, and one above - then you'll have your CPU and graphics card fan, I would recommend going for just 1 intake and 1 outtake for now. If it's getting a bit hot in there, you can always get more fans later, and I can't recommend exhaust blowers highly enough, they take out a lot of excess heat from the case.

I hope you followed that OK, just ask if you need any more guidance :)

thanks for the replies. i just found out that my case has one rear exhaust fan and one side panel fan. So i just need one fan at the front? Is geil good for memory? they have a dual channel memory for a good price. here is the link http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-512&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

also i only plan to get one optical drive. my pc will be used mostly for gaming. should i get a cdrw or dvd drive? also my processor is a athlon 2800+ xp barton. is a 350watt power supply good enough? or get a 420 watt?

Originally posted by kingdomwinds

thanks for the replies. i just found out that my case has one rear exhaust fan and one side panel fan. So i just need one fan at the front? Is geil good for memory? they have a dual channel memory for a good price. here is the link http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-512&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

also i only plan to get one optical drive. my pc will be used mostly for gaming. should i get a cdrw or dvd drive? also my processor is a athlon 2800+ xp barton. is a 350watt power supply good enough? or get a 420 watt?

You would probably be best to pick up a fan for the front to ensure a good air circulation. I normally go for YS Tech fans, but Akasa are great too. Make sure when you install it, it's blowing in the right direction. A good way to check is to get a piece of paper and hold it in front of the fan to see if it sucks it, or blows it - so to speak.

The RAM companies I'd tend to recommend would be: Corsair, TwinMOS, OCZ and Crucial. I've never heard of "geil". But remember, if you want memory running in Dual Channel mode, you need 2 sticks of exactly the same RAM.

A CDRW and DVD can be equally useful; a CDRW for making backups, and a DVD due to the fact that you will find a lot of DVDs on cover disks etc nowadays - it's just very useful. You can get "combo" drives, though, which would cater for both. I'm not talking about a DVDRW, I mean a CDRW/DVD combo drive. These are relatively cheap these days, and it may well be worth investing in one if you can.

A 350 Watt PSU would do, but if you want to cover yourself for future upgrades, I'd go for the 420 Watt - it's a worthy long term investment. That's what I did, anyway...

i have no experience in building computers. Some site said that you need the help of an experienced person. Is it possible for a noob like me to build a pc by just looking at tutorials on the web? Also, can someone give me a good tutorial in building a computer? I just bought all the parts i need to make a pc. Im just afraid about connecting the wires correctly and installing the cpu.

Archived