Home

The great LUCASARTS playable characters

jp-30

So, let's hear them. The LucasArts game characters that you play as that you really feel for. That you dare I say it grow to love. That have real personality and that you often return to.

Remember it's got to be a character that you control in-game. And let's keep it to original creations - no picking "Indiana Jones", "Dash Rendar" or "Luke Skywalker" where outside influences flesh out the in-game character. And let's not pick self-made creations from RPGs. :p

My favourites;

Sam and Max. Yes, I know they do actually have an outside influence (comics, cartoon series) but for me the first encounter I had with the freelance police was in the LucasArts game.

I really loved those characters, even though I didn't enjoy the game quite as much as I hoped I would, the plot just seemed too hit & miss.

So my Number 1 (and 2, I guess) Hoagie and Bernard from Day of the Tentacle. These two are the GREATEST (I didn't care for Laverne though). And Tentacle is perhaps the greatest adventure game ever made. Hilarious plot, script and puzzles. And I realy did care for, and relate to, those dorky kids.

I've never really been 100% taken by poor old Manny Calavera, but I'm only 1/2 way through Grim Fandango, and he might grow on me. I think so far I like the supporting cast better than the loser of a main character.

Worthy of comment;

Out of the Star Wars games I've played, the only playable character of note (you can't really count Rookie One or Ace Azameen) is Kyle Katarn. He's fun to play as, but he's really not a character that has depth of personality. I was quite relieved not to have to play as him in Academy.

So, as a yardstick, think if a sequel to the game was made, would you care if you had a new main playable character, or would you be really disappointed to have to play in the Grim Fandango universe as someone other than Manny, in the Jedi Knight universe as someone other than Kyle Katarn etc...

Oh yeah. Like Grim Fandango, I think the supporting cast of Monkey Island kick Guybrush Threepwood's ass.

I actually like Guybrush less each time a new MI game comes out. He was much cooler back in Monkey Island 1, but even then he was not a patch on Sam, Max, Hoagie or Bernard.

Originally posted by jp-30

So, as a yardstick, think if a sequel to the game was made, would you care if you had a new main playable character, or would you be really disappointed to have to play in the Grim Fandango universe as someone other than Manny, in the Jedi Knight universe as someone other than Kyle Katarn etc...

In Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, you don't play as Kyle and it's still rather good. Also if there was a GF 2 I would hate to play as Manny as it would totally ruin the way the first one wraps up.

On the whole I think my pervert instinct of acting rude were boosted as I played Hoagie in DOTT : the character is perfect because he seems to have a life of its own even if I really recognize bits of my personnality in the way he 's looking at people and situation.

Manny come's next because he's an interesting mix between Bogart, Woody Allen and Keaton... which really makes him worth playing.

Then Guybrush Threepwood even if I feel always a bit outside the plot when I play Monkey Island Games. That's not a bad criticism - MI3 and MI2 are my favorite game- t's juste that I feel it this way.

Action games sequels should either bring the main character back in action or make the gamer play a new one withtout including in the plot a poor meeting with the former one. JK-Outcast ( meet Luke bleeuaark) and JK-Academy were bad examples. MotS is a good one.

And don't talk about sequels to game adventure, I'm beginning to be really tired of these.. I want new universes!

Hoagie, only because the last lucas arts adventure I relayed was DOTT and hoagie was just brilliant.

Guybrush because he's just great and his game has a string of websites about it that provide quality crap (a better oxymoron than microsoft works)

Manny Calavera because he's the most unique charcter i've met.

Ben throttle because he'd darnk and mysterious and seems to have a wealth of history about him.

Originally posted by jp-30

I think so far I like the supporting cast better than the loser of a main character.

Oh, you did not just say that.

Manny is by far my favorite (playable) LEC character of all time. Sam (and Max) come in second. Then Hoagie. Guybrush, while still the main character of some really cool games, is just too much of wimp/loser for me to really like. Gotta love LeChuck though.

Originally posted by Mamba

Indiana Jones. He has a Spider Man quality to him.

How boring would the movies be if he was spiderman? The first movie, he'd just need to use his webbing to get the idol off the thing in the beginning and be out of there before anything happens.

1. Hogie

2. MI 1 Guybrush

3. Manny

4. Sam and Max

5. Ben Whatshisname

*entering KOTOR obbsession mode*

HK-47 - Nothing like a trigger happy droid

Zalbarr - He's a wookie, nuff' said

Trask Ulgo- Because he taught my character how to put on his clothes.....

Originally posted by Joshi

How boring would the movies be if he was spiderman? The first movie, he'd just need to use his webbing to get the idol off the thing in the beginning and be out of there before anything happens.

Hahaha, i ment his little jokes or puns he says when he does something.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived