Home

Did i miss something? (why the anger towards honor/RPGers?)

SRF_Vader

Im really...really getting pissed at the anti-honor or anti-RPG'ers around here. Seriously, what RIGHT do you have to say they are wrong in the way they play? they PAID 50 bucks just like you buddy. If they want to use it like a Instant Messanger i couldnt care less, i just go to a different server.

Really its getting annoying, not only that, but this "JA is dead" bs is really, really getting annoying. Last time i counted, JA has way more servers than JO and no, i dont use that buggy ass ASE.

If i want to swing my saber around like an idiot screaming "IM LUKE SKYWACKER IM LOOK SKYWACKER!" I damn well have the right to. And please, dont tell people to go play SWG...thats like telling someone to jump off a bridge, trust me on that one.

And all this "The game is anti-Competitive!" crap, well let me just remind you of the pre-patched JO - anyone who says that was perfect was living under a rock! I was one of the very first to purchase the game, and i have a clear memory of those days. Give this game time or dont let the door hit you on the way out.

So i ask, did i miss something, or is the total IQ of the Human Race dropping dramatically?

Point being, dont whine about RPG'ers or honor people, they have just as much right to play the game their way as you do (Unless any of them are using a Warez Version :rolleyes: ) And for those claiming it doesnt fit competitive players, Take your ADD pills and wait for a balance patch or shove a sock in your mouth and play another game! or, better yet, make a server with fitting setting, hell, you could make a JO Duplicate! Ugh, people these days... [/rant]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the problem is people wont leave a server if they dont like the way the server is run. i guess they just enjoy getting lamed or getting told not to lame:rolleyes: .

So i ask, did i miss something, or is the total IQ of the Human Race dropping dramatically?

slowly but surely

I just started playing MP when I got JA this past fall, so I still consider myself a complete noob when it comes to it. I have yet to come upon an honor/rpg server. This isn't meant to sound mean, but is it that hard to name servers or have titles saying that it is an honor/rpg server? I think that a game that can be played different ways is a good game. I'm somewhat interested in the rpg style of the game. I'd like to see how it works. But, as a 'normal' player, i would like some forewarning before I enter a server to find it is an honor/rpg server.

Originally posted by SRF_Vader

Im really...really getting pissed at the anti-honor or anti-RPG'ers around here. Seriously, what RIGHT do you have to say they are wrong in the way they play? [/rant]

It's obvious you missed the rules of each gametype in the manual. Give me one page number in it where honor is even mentioned....

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

It's obvious you missed the rules of each gametype in the manual. Give me one page number in it where honor is even mentioned....

Look, I dont even play MP, and I dont even really give a toss about JA anymore, BUT, who cares if they dont mention that in the manual.

...It's simple, if the servers allow it, then let them honor d00dz be...as strange as they are.... just dont go to those servers..... and yes, honor players shouldnt get pissed if they are on a server that is pure FFA etc and cant chat to anyone without getting sabered/fragged....

just use some common sense peoples....

*laments at the misery of the JA MP community*

MTFBWYA

What I hate is that on an FF FFA, all poeple do is stand in a circle and talk, so I just go BF them and they get pissed, and I tell them, and why are you chatting in an FFA? They just called me a lamer... But it was funny, because the only server rules were, "NO WHINING!" and yet they were whining. Odd, eh?

Well, I play mainly Siege and Duel modes in JA, (as well as the occasional CTF instagib disruption) so I haven't run across many "honorz" servers. One thing that seems to help me find out what a server is like is merely by spectating for a minute or so. If everyone's sitting around complaining about "lamers" and hitting on players using female character models, (yes I witnessed that once, it was so pathetic) then chances are you've stumbled across an "honorz" server. If, however, there's little to no chatting and people seem to be running all the time and firing guns, chances are you've run across a competitive server.

If you don't care for the server you joined, simply try to find another one. There are enough servers of both types to suit both gamer type's needs.

There are extremes of each, and it seems that many people like to point at the extremes when making a point. Many honor aspects I follow are out of tradition. When I first bought Jedi Outcast I joined a server with very few people on it and someone taught me the basics of dueling in red and yellow. One of the things he taught me was that it was customary to bow before a duel. Soon after I then joined the Jedi Academy(thejediacademy.net). Here I was also taught to bow before duels and that it is typically considered rude to attack players while chatting and to attack players with their sabers down. Thusly no matter what server I'm on I always bow out of tradition and with respect for my opponent (and yes I can respect someone I don't know.) I don't have any problems with competitive players-in fact for the most part I hold the average competitive player in high esteem. Almost every time I join a competitive server I get a healthy helping of beat down-sure I could probably beat a lot of the people playing there in a fair lightsaber duel-but then there is more to the game than dueling. The problem for me is when I do duel a competitive player and they make a point by attacking me while I'm bowing. I really don't care all that much if you don't bow, but I'd like you to at least be decent enough to let me.

Chat killing and killing a player with their saber down is differnt though. There should be little reason in a true FFA game for you to be chatting, AFK, or running around with no defense up. The problem is we don't have that many true FFA servers. What I mean is this-what is the point of a FFA server if there is no frag or time limit? It is extremely hard to be competitive in any way if there is no way to win in the end. Servers that enforce a honor code usually do not have a frag limit nor a time limit-and to me this presents another problem. If there is no time limit, and no frag limit, and no possible way to really win anything, then why in the world should you get upset if someone kills you, especially by accident? It's gotten so bad that if you misfire, didn't expect you saber to swing in a certain way, or do anything to kill someone else when they weren't prepared, you have a huge chance of getting flamed. Once for fun I was dropping my saber then running to various locations and pulling it to watch it fly through the air for fun (I was bored, so sue me.) Anyway, the saber accidently flew through someone and killed them. That person yelled at me for laming and then just decided to not say anything else to me for the rest of the night. I tried to reason with him but he just didn't say anything.

Don't get me wrong, in a community or honor based server I like having Rules of Engagement that keep things in order, I just want people to lighten up a bit and not jump on someone right away for "laming" them.

No matter what I try to play by the rules of any server I play on, and if I happen to not like the rules-I find another server.

The problem with the RPG and Honor guys is that large numbers of them hijack public servers and votekick and gangup and cuss out and otherwise harass people who just want to play the game as it was designed to be played

The "honor" folks are not playing the game as it was meant to be played so THEY are the ones with the gall to be telling everyone else how to play the game

Sadly a great many admins and mod makers in the JO community latched onto the idea that "honor" codes should be universal no matter how silly they were so we got mods that included amlaming commands and we got ban happy admins and servers with more rules than fun

Thus you can see the resentment for the game ruining behavior that was wrought by these folks whether it was their intention or not!

"Honor" in a video game is contrived and counter-fun in my opinion. Good point, I haven't seen any non Jedi Knight games that featured "honor" (though I have HEARD that Heretic II was the first game that included it, and many players say that it "ruined" that game).

Originally posted by Rainer511

Don't get me wrong, in a community or honor based server I like having Rules of Engagement that keep things in order, I just want people to lighten up a bit and not jump on someone right away for "laming" them.

No matter what I try to play by the rules of any server I play on, and if I happen to not like the rules-I find another server.

If more players had your attitude, all would be cool :)

Originally posted by Kurgan

The "honor" folks are not playing the game as it was meant to be played so THEY are the ones with the gall to be telling everyone else how to play the game

To play devil's advocate for a minute; competitive players aren't playing the game as it was meant to be played either. After all, where is /suicide mentioned in the manual?

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Look, I dont even play MP, and I dont even really give a toss about JA anymore, BUT, who cares if they dont mention that in the manual.

...It's simple, if the servers allow it, then let them honor d00dz be...as strange as they are.... just dont go to those servers..... and yes, honor players shouldnt get pissed if they are on a server that is pure FFA etc and cant chat to anyone without getting sabered/fragged....

just use some common sense peoples....

*laments at the misery of the JA MP community*

MTFBWYA

Fair enough as long as the Honor doodz don't try to force that crap in servers where people play the game instead of standing around talking....but the problem is they do.

My point is people like to play FFA not turn it into a gay "standing around" and chatting program.

Oh good, we needed another thread about this.

Actually, we didn't.

Use the search tool to learn about this discussion. At length.

Basically, the reason why there is so much animosity from Non-Honourz players is because of what Kurgan said. Most players would leave them alone if they left others alone. This hasn't happened.

only thing that pisses me off are the ones that spam the same moves over and over just to get a kill and then think they owned you and they are the better player......real players learn control rather than just the moves themselves and it is dubious to think you own anyone when you can't even do things other than the basics within a game...

Originally posted by SRF_Vader

Heh,ironic that you say that morning star, because "Normal" Players try to force their ways onto RPG and honor Players plenty of times...

Thats a good point. But there is nothing wrong with true RPG players. The rpg players people talk about here usually are people who use the honor code and rpg thing to hide behind as a shield and then attack other players and stuff as if the honor code does not apply to them also.

Archived