Home

Too old?

Mr Wolf

Hi

I am 29 years old.

Over the last few days people have been mentioning their ages on the servers I frequent. So far most of them have been between 14 and 20.

That means that many of the guys I play against are half my age :o

Please tell me that I am not the oldest JA player.

Not that I have any intention to stop playing. As someone once said

"You dont stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing." :)

Anyone older?

(BoW)Fenris.

There's no age limit for enjoying computer and video games. I've heard stories about kid's grandparents playing video games with them. I play GameCube games with my father sometimes. It's a blast when we play cooperatively on Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, or Medal of Honor: Rising Sun.

I'm sure there's people out there who have said Tony Hawk is "too old" for skateboarding, yet he's still acknowledged as the best.

Don't listen to people who say you're too old for doing a harmless hobby you enjoy like gaming.

The Raven guys are gamers, and they're much older than the average 13-15 year olds we have joining the forums each day.

And don't make the excuse that they are the exception to the "rule."

The majority of gamers are supposedly in the 18-30 male age bracket anyway.

Sure a lot of little tykes have their consoles for Christmas, but who has the cash to buy the gaming rigs and such? Not little kids...

And playing video games is no less "honorable" a hobby than say sitting in front of a TV watching sports, drinking beer, playing golf, working on a greasy old car, collecting baseball cards or whatever other hobby is deemed appropriate for an adult man.

Now of course I'm not saying that only men are gamers, obviously there are a growing number of women who are gamers and even adult women who are gamers. But, the primary target demographic for most games continues to be a male demographic (with marvelous exceptions that appeal equally or even moreso to women like the Sims games or fantasy games like EverQuest).

The people who consider gaming to be "childish" I'd hazard to guess most likely never seriously tried it and never "got" why it was fun to begin with. Otherwise why would they insist that a person magically "give up" all gaming at a certain age.

And why are video games different than card-playing, (or any number of gambling "games" like slots, bingo, roulette, etc), board games like chess/monopoly/etc. ?

People play "games" their entire lives. Sports are simply games that involve more physical activity. And not all sports are "lifetime sports" (ie: stuff anyone can do, young or old, regardless of their level of physical atheletic prowess).

And why is it more noble or acceptable to just WATCH Michael Jordan dunking a basketball when you could BE Michael Jordon in a video game?

; )

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

There's no age limit for enjoying computer and video games. I've heard stories about kid's grandparents playing video games with them. I play GameCube games with my father sometimes. It's a blast when we play cooperatively on Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, or Medal of Honor: Rising Sun.

I got a GameCube too, but I hate those games.

I'm 38, and still love gaming.

We got a GameCube for Christmas, and each of us got a game. I got Rebel Strike (Yeah Santa ;) ), my wife got Animal Crossing (gaming for the non-gamer!), my 7-year old got Kirby Air Ride, and my 5.5 year old got BeyBlade Tournament. The GC came with the Zelda superpack, and my 7 year old picked up Super Mario Sunshine with some Christmas money.

We have been having a lot of fun with the games. In particular, what is fun is the family aspect - getting to have all four of us sit together and either all play, or just participate together.

In my normal gaming, it is all PC (and Mac) games - FPS and RPG. So I'm old - who cares! I'm a lot younger than many people who are a lot younger than me! ;)

Mike

Originally posted by StormHammer

Hehe...we should start an Old Gamers Anonymous. :p

Hello. My name is StormHammer. I'm 36 and...I'm a gamer...

Forget trolls...become an OGA... :p

I agree with everything Kurgan said. Age is no barrier to entertainment in any form.

:cool:

Yea I can see it now..

Kristina: Hey Honey where ya going..

Andy867: Oh, I got another one of those OGA meetings tonight

Kristina: But. You''ve been going there for the past 20 years, since it started. And you still play Video games

Andy867: I know.. I still remember that day.*Flashes back to Jan 14th, 2004*.

Stormhammer: Hello. My name is StormHammer. I'm 36 and...I'm a gamer...

Andy867 and Group: Hi Stormhammer

Andy867: Hello. My name is Andy867, and I am 22. And *sobs* I am a gamer *breaks into tears*

Group: Hi Andy867 and welcome.

*Flashes back to present*

Andy867: Honey, dont worry about me, I'll be OK.

Kristina: Just dont forget about your TWL Tourney tonight on the Chop Shop server at midnight.

;)

There was a hilarious ad in Maximum PC this month with a girl (sorry, I'm in the faction of the OGA that looks at <21 females as 'girls') all dressed up and her guy sitting in front on his PC and the caption 'just one more game ... yeah right, like you believe him'. My wife saw that and cracked up ... I know that well enough, she said ...

BTW - I'm Mike, or txa1265, I'm 37 and have been addicted to gaming since Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple ][+ in 1983 ... and to 'competitive multiplayer' since I hacked the high scores on Balderdash (also on the Apple ][+) in '85 to provide a very competitive fraternity brother a goal he'd never reach ...

Mike

I'm 36 and I'm a diehard gamer. My best friend is 34 and is a diehard gamer too. We grew up playing the Atari 2600 together 20 years ago and now we play multiplayer Halo on the Xbox and PC games. We both love Star Wars and we went to see TESB and ROTJ at the theater together when they first came out.

My mom is 62 and she loves playing Frogger. I friend at work is 64 and he has a PS2.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Oh yeah, anybody who says games are "for kids" needs to visit any college or university dorm or campus.

17-23 year olds playing games all the live long day, on consoles and pc's (or on their cell phones). ; )

But wait - they *ARE* kids!?!?!

;)

I guess I am old ...

Mike

To old to play???? NEVER!!! I am, uhhh...OLD, well the oldest of all the people that I play with anyway. Sorry...I will not be revealing my age because...well...women just don't like to do that! So yes, I am an OLDER FEMALE GAMER...yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!!!

QUOTE from kurgan:

I'm sure there's people out there who have said Tony Hawk is "too old" for skateboarding, yet he's still acknowledged as the best.

Tony Hawk is the best through mainstream medias eyes bro

I have been a skateboarder for 17 years- half of them in sponsership and i have to disagree with you on that.

Tony revolutionized skateboarding the way it is today- years ago

but Danny Way is the best skateboarder that ever lived

he was the first person ever to even try a 900 and almost landed it first try-10 years ago... Tony was the one that finally did it and the media went ape**** over it and made him a super mogul

Tony has the 9- but look in Guiness and see who holds the most world records.

so far danny way has all these records in guiness:

Highest air: 26 1/2 feet

Highest drop in from a helicopter to vert ramp: 13 feet(dislocated his shoulder first try, landed it second try)

Highest kickflip-indy grab on a vert ramp: 17 feet

longest jump: 75 feet

longest 360: 75 feet

longest 540: 55 feet

longest 720: 40 feet

recentaly he broke 2 records consecutively:

75 foot 360 grab to 27 foot air on vert ramp....back to back...

most of these were done on a 25 foot high vert ramp (standard competition ramp is only 12 feet)

Tony is the man no doubt...much love and respect for the man and what he has done for the sport over 20 years...however the only reaon danny isn't there with him is because he doesn't publicize himself

Originally posted by saurumonk

<snip> ...

Tony Hawk is the best through mainstream medias eyes bro

<snip>

[txa1265 watches as saurumonk zooms way off topic]

Kurgan was using an analogy - citing someone who is older and yet excels at what is viewed as a young person's activity. I think that the basic point of his analogy is sound, regardless of whether the details click exactly with someone in the know about the minutia ...

Mike

Archived