Home

Getting Dismemberment to work!

Crow_Nest

Whole and complete, please, not one of these, "It's easy, just change A to B" responses, but the **WHOLE PROCESS**.

There is no "whole process" as there are many ways to get it to work. And even if i tell you each method in great detail it might not work. Like for me, i tried stafire's dismember and the shortcut key method, but they dont work for me and it works for others. Only the OJP Basic 0.0.6 can enable dismemberment for my JA. So im guessing that it all depends on how the game is installed. If you have tried the various methods mentioned in this 3 page thread and if it somehow prevented your game from running, then you must have done one part of it wrongly.

However, make sure that whenever you try use another method, undo the previous one. That might be the reason why your game is unable to start.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may not be a modder by avocation, but I am a programmer by profession and am long since accustomed to working precisely to specification. You can rest assured there were no mistakes on my part, and each attempt was undone 100% before attempting the next. Nonetheless, everything I said is true. As there is no way I made a mistake, and the attempts did not work, the only logical conclusion is that the specifications are in error. It is also far from unusual for me to be the person who finds an error in a specification by the simple expedient of proving that it can't possibly work as read. That's why I'm the Head Geek. Having dealt with the "loose nut behind the wheel" dismissal, I return to the original problem. An *accurate and complete* specification.

I don't buy that mods that work for one don't work for another. Programs are deterministic by nature - they merely *seem* non-deterministic sometimes for perfectly good deterministic reasons. Computers are only capable of six basic functions, and they cannot mis-perform any of those six basic functions - period - or they simply cannot work. Logically, the top-of-the-line Cray is no different than the Atanasoff-Berry Computer that pre-dates ENIAC. The Cray is just whole lot faster. If a mod works for one but not for another, it's not because of some 'ghost in the machine', but rather because there is missing information that is critical to success.

If we know all of the important things, then dismemberment will work, by a single standard method, for everybody. All that is required is that somebody employ due diligence and specify clearly all of the important things. Then we can stop debating it in a thread and simply post a web-page with step-by-step instructions, and put this problem to rest for good and all. There is always a process when computers are concerned. Process is the only thing they obey.

While it might seem to be a bit of a pain, I've found that the best way to do this is for somebody with sufficient knowledge to reset their machine (I/E remove all things JA related) and start from scratch, documenting each step as they go, until they get it working. Then publish the instructions. That way, no important information is lost under the presumption, "everybody knows that part". With such a set of *complete, accurate, and detailed* instructions, everybody should be able to get it working to maximum effect with minimal hassle by simply following the directions.

Now, is anybody with a suitable level of knowledge and skill available?

Good. That is useful. That means that if there is a solution, it's going to be up to me to find it, implement it, document it, and provide it. It will probably be about six months coming, but at least now I know where to go from here. It's not the best possible solution, but it is a solution - any answer is better than none. Thank you.

OK, so my time estimates are off a bit.

OK, the Process for getting dismemberment to work is as follows (english edition only - other languages may vary):

1) If you have any mods installed, remove them first. Further instructions at the end. If you're not certain what you have installed, remove JA and re-install it.

2) You MUST have patch 1.01 installed for this to work. It will not work on 1.0. You can confirm that you have this patch installed by browsing to:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData"

then right-click on "jasp.exe", select properties, and then click on the "Version" tab. The "Version:" label should read "1.0.1.0". If you do not have the correct result, Google for "JKAcademy1_01.exe" and select a download site. The installation consists of double-clicking the file and following the instructions. You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different drive.

3) Make a shortcut on your desktop by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting New/Shortcut.

4) Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties, and in the field labelled "Target:", insert the following string VERBATIM:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe"

+helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 10 +set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different drive. The quotation marks around the path string are mandatory, and there are no

spaces between the plus signs and the word following them.

5) Now change the "Start In:" field to read as follows:

You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different

drive. The quotation marks around the path string are mandatory.

Close the Properties dialog. Double-click on the short-cut, and find a target-rich

environment. You should have more than satisfactory dismemberment. At higher

levels, some of the storm troopers were coming apart like pinatas. You can adjust

it as follows (from the "Target:" string above):

+set g_sabermorerealistic 10

+set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

As the value of g_sabermorerealistic is reduced, the amount of visible damage the saber does decreases. As the value of g_dismemberprobabilities decreases, the

likelihood of dismemberment occurring is reduced.

Now, would a few people try this process, and report success or failure. It worked

for me, and nothing has ever worked for me before, so this should work for everybody.

If you have additional Mods you want to install, do this first, get it working, and

then start installing your Mods one-by-one and testing them to make sure they don't

cause problems. Any that cause problems should be removed if you want to keep

dismemberment.

OK, so my time estimates are off a bit.

OK, the Process for getting dismemberment to work is as follows (english edition only - other languages may vary):

1) If you have any mods installed, remove them first. Further instructions at the end. If you're not certain what you have installed, remove JA and re-install it.

2) You MUST have patch 1.01 installed for this to work. It will not work on 1.0. You can confirm that you have this patch installed by browsing to:

then right-click on "jasp.exe", select properties, and then click on the "Version" tab. The "Version:" label should read "1.0.1.0". If you do not have the correct result, Google for "JKAcademy1_01.exe" and select a download site. The installation consists of double-clicking the file and following the instructions. You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different drive.

3) Make a shortcut on your desktop by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting New/Shortcut.

4) Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties, and in the field labelled "Target:", insert the following string VERBATIM:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe"

+helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 10 +set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different drive. The quotation marks around the path string are mandatory, and there are no

spaces between the plus signs and the word following them.

5) Now change the "Start In:" field to read as follows:

You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different

drive. The quotation marks around the path string are mandatory.

Close the Properties dialog. Double-click on the short-cut, and find a target-rich

environment. You should have more than satisfactory dismemberment. At higher

levels, some of the storm troopers were coming apart like pinatas. You can adjust

it as follows (from the "Target:" string above):

+set g_sabermorerealistic 10

+set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

As the value of g_sabermorerealistic is reduced, the amount of visible damage the saber does decreases. As the value of g_dismemberprobabilities decreases, the

likelihood of dismemberment occurring is reduced.

Now, would a few people try this process, and report success or failure. It worked

for me, and nothing has ever worked for me before, so this should work for everybody.

If you have additional Mods you want to install, do this first, get it working, and

then start installing your Mods one-by-one and testing them to make sure they don't

cause problems. Any that cause problems should be removed if you want to keep

dismemberment.

Very impressive, every step is detailed, I like it! :thumbsup:

Hopefully that solves the problem for everyone.

That was the plan. I'm still waiting to hear from anybody, but the night is young. Hopefully, this gets the monkey off everybody's back. I have noticed, though, that since I've maxed everything out, if some attitudinal pestropka boinkenstrasse goldenberry happens to trip and throw a lit light-sabre my way, he *can* kill me with it. It has greatly changed the way I play the game. My PC is much more vulnerable now. It is now much more like playing in multi-player mode, where you have to deal with the hideous deviousness of other human beings.

Fair warning, all. For reasons that are not yet obvious to me, sometimes dismemberment seems to NOT work. Normally, a quick-save, quit and restart will remedy this condition. It might also be related to seniority. Maybe dismemberment just doesn't work on the lower four levels, and you don't really see it until you get to Hoth. I got nothing on the lower three levels, but on Hoth I was a sushi chef. I will experiment further and report.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

yeah, just ignore everything they said about where to find it.

Go to your ...\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\ folder and create a new text file. Rename to autoexec.cfg (make sure file extensions are visible for obvious reasons).

Then just copy-paste whatever they said. It didn't work for me, but maybe you will get lucky.

and yrthwyndandfyre does indeed work for dismemberment, but I am not sure if the saber damage is up. Ah well. Now I just need to run a few tests with the loader in xfire.

Well what I did is this:

ScreenSW.jpg

Does that look about right?

I also put all of this (what's in red) after "Target:"

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 10 +set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

Is that correct?

I'm just checking because I'm afraid to launch it incase I screwd up big time lol...

Well what I did is this:

ScreenSW.jpg

Does that look about right?

I also put all of this (what's in red) after "Target:"

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 10 +set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

Is that correct?

I'm just checking because I'm afraid to launch it incase I screwd up big time lol...

Sorry it wouldn't let me edit...I just tested this and it works fine for me, heads are popping like champagne corks before and after Hoth...

It's so much fun beheading cultists on a speeder chase on Zonju V

Indeed. For those who use XFire, just go to Tools -> Options -> Games and find the Jedi Academy Single Player Entry.

Advanced Options, then just enter your combo of choice. I am a fan of

+set g_sabermorerealistic 2 +helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 2

This does the exact same thing as the shortcut, it just is a lot more convenient for those who use XFire.

Btw I was wondering about that OBi-Wan skin and Stormtroopers, did you make them?

it HS obiwan & Omeewan's Jedi Skinpack :king1:

Clone skin is Omeewan too but it not release yet ..

but this is nice too ;)

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/ObiWan_Kenobi;46752

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Omeewans_Jedi_Skin_Pack_V1;59791

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Clones_Ultima;53471

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Episode_III_Clones;43976

Archived