Home

Getting Dismemberment to work!

Crow_Nest

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I downloaded Omeewan's Jedi Skin Pack V1, but how do I load them in SP? Because the Readme doesn't say, there's a link to these forums but not a specific one...

I know I'm supposed to put "playermodel" in the console for JA, but I don't know the exact names for those skins...

And also *noob alert* how do I bind a key to spawn NPC's and stuff?

So I downloaded Omeewan's Jedi Skin Pack V1, but how do I load them in SP? Because the Readme doesn't say, there's a link to these forums but not a specific one...

I know I'm supposed to put "playermodel" in the console for JA, but I don't know the exact names for those skins...

And also *noob alert* how do I bind a key to spawn NPC's and stuff?

NPC not include and not SP too

but I made NPC files so send to you

check your PM thanks

Buffy

Indeed. For those who use XFire, just go to Tools -> Options -> Games and find the Jedi Academy Single Player Entry.

Advanced Options, then just enter your combo of choice. I am a fan of

+set g_sabermorerealistic 2 +helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 2

This does the exact same thing as the shortcut, it just is a lot more convenient for those who use XFire.

So I,ve just downloaded Xfire, for this to work do I have to launch a SP game in Xfire?

And I noticed you put +set g_sabermorerealistic 2 in it twice, is that supposed to be like that?

I really have no idea on that one. I got this line from the previous guy. I can confirm that it works for me and quite a few others.

And yeah, just configure it through XFire and then launch there. It is the exact same thing as the shortcut trick. I just pointed that out in case people who use XFire have never messed with that.

• 10 months later...

ok... ive tried literally hundreds of the dismemberment solutions in this thread and none of them worked, so i looked up some mods and i found an interesting one: bloody dismemberment.

well ive been using it and yes its fun, and yes the dismemberment works, BUT it only works on maybe 1 out of 100 kills and its always something stupid like a hand or an arm, and never anything like the head or something. and that already was happening before.

anybody know if its just the mod, or maybe im doing something wrong?

well i got it to work after trying 5 or so different methods, but that resulted in even a minor tap of the blade killing freakin everyone. every fight results in both combatants dying. i tried to get rid of that by putting it at realisticsaberfighting 1 instead of 10 but it was still about the same but with less dismemberment

• 3 weeks later...
This is all very simple and should not take this long...

All you have to do is:

1) Read this

2) Make a shortcut to JA single player (most people already have one after they install it)

3) Right click it and go into "Properties"

4) Under the shortcut tab look for "Target:"

5) Change your target to look exactly like this: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.EXE" +set fs_game ojpenhanced +set g_sabermorerealistic 2 +helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 2

Hint: just copy and past over your current one (include the quotation marks)

6) Click "Apply"

7) Finally... double click the shortcut icon :ewok:-simple simple

Edit: If you dont want it to do the quick load, just remove the "+load quick" from the line that you copied, under STEP 4.

:ewok:-simple simple

8) Stop reading

Following your extremely-easy-to-follow instructions I got dismemberment to work. Kudos!

• 1 month later...
Yo, I can help ya... Go to http://www.JK3Files.com select Jedi Academy in the search box and type in dismember, there's this 1 file that once downloaded copy/paste what it says into your JASP.cfg or whatever it's called.

Hope that helps... and Omeewan.... If you read this, NICE WORK ON THE SKINPACK! heh heh. :D

It seems to work well enough for a while, then it stopped for some reason. :\

I grabbed the OJP mod as was suggested on this thread and loaded it. Now I have 4 dismemberment options from the Setup menu: Normal, Boosted Damage, Realistic Dismemberment, & Realistic Idle. I'm not sure what the differences in those options are supposed to be, but as far as I can tell, the first two options make it so that at rare intervals I can slice off an arm or hand, and the second two options turns me into a gruesome human-lawnmower with limbs flying everywhere, decapitations, people sliced in half, and the works everytime.

Is there any happy medium? What I would love is that I could decide how grisly the dismemberment is and how often it happens. Right now, I think about, oh, 10% of the time there should be a chance of some type of dismemberment. Maybe just a hand or arm, or maybe a decapitation or a torso halfing. It should be random, or better yet, configurable.

Now there is a g_dismembermentProbabilities variable that I keep hearing about, but it doesn't seem to work when I try it in the console.

Is there any way to do what I want?

-cwineman

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say this but there is no noob proof way of getting dismemberment to work that includes typing one line in a shortcut.

The reason its so hard to get the dismemberment to work is LucasArts seem to have shot themselves in the foot by having many ways to change dismemberment. These ways then disagree with each other and so the game can get confused and crash or revert to no dismemberment.

The ONLY noob proof way to get the dismemberment working is to open up the assets.pk3 and change the .npc file with notepad in the ext_data/npcs folder.

These have all the external data in them about the npcs. You can do ANYTHING from changing their force powers to force power points to skins to weapons. Look for the lines about dismembering probability and change them to 100. Then save in a mod directory with the right folders so for stormtrooper dismemberment a .pk3 with:

ext_data/npcs/stormtrooper.npc

packed up and put in a mod folder in the GameData directory.

This is NOOB PROOF unless you get it wrong and it will make the stormtrooper ALWAYS dismemberable - no messing with cheats or shortcuts just the actual game files.

So here it is again:

1. unpack the assets.pk3 files (possibly keep them for your next modding)

2. find ext_data/npcs/stormtrooper.npc and open with notepad

3. find a line with dismemberprob owtte

4. change the probability to 100

5. save in C:/... ...GameData/Dismemberment/ext_data/npcs/stormtrooper.npc

6. use winzip (or another zipper) to zip the ext_data folder

7. right click and rename "dismemberment.pk3" (you may need to change windows xp settings as this sometimes is set to stop you changing file name)

8. load Academy and load the dismemberment mod

9. dont blame me if this went wrong - i've made my own trade federation battle droid and got it to dismember and put it in a map and everything so if it went wrong its your fault.

Also you guys should have tried editing forums.

• 1 year later...
OK, so my time estimates are off a bit.

OK, the Process for getting dismemberment to work is as follows (english edition only - other languages may vary):

1) If you have any mods installed, remove them first. Further instructions at the end. If you're not certain what you have installed, remove JA and re-install it.

2) You MUST have patch 1.01 installed for this to work. It will not work on 1.0. You can confirm that you have this patch installed by browsing to:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData"

then right-click on "jasp.exe", select properties, and then click on the "Version" tab. The "Version:" label should read "1.0.1.0". If you do not have the correct result, Google for "JKAcademy1_01.exe" and select a download site. The installation consists of double-clicking the file and following the instructions. You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different drive.

3) Make a shortcut on your desktop by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting New/Shortcut.

4) Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties, and in the field labelled "Target:", insert the following string VERBATIM:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe"

+helpusobi 1 +load quick +set g_sabermorerealistic 10 +set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different drive. The quotation marks around the path string are mandatory, and there are no

spaces between the plus signs and the word following them.

5) Now change the "Start In:" field to read as follows:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData"

You may have to change the drive letter from C: if you installed it on a different

drive. The quotation marks around the path string are mandatory.

Close the Properties dialog. Double-click on the short-cut, and find a target-rich

environment. You should have more than satisfactory dismemberment. At higher

levels, some of the storm troopers were coming apart like pinatas. You can adjust

it as follows (from the "Target:" string above):

+set g_sabermorerealistic 10

+set g_dismemberprobabilities 100

As the value of g_sabermorerealistic is reduced, the amount of visible damage the saber does decreases. As the value of g_dismemberprobabilities decreases, the

likelihood of dismemberment occurring is reduced.

Now, would a few people try this process, and report success or failure. It worked

for me, and nothing has ever worked for me before, so this should work for everybody.

If you have additional Mods you want to install, do this first, get it working, and

then start installing your Mods one-by-one and testing them to make sure they don't

cause problems. Any that cause problems should be removed if you want to keep

dismemberment.

I followed your instructions and I got the dismemberment. And like you said, it doesn't really work on the lower levels.

However, there is another problem. It doesn't work on some of the higher levels too! On Vjun, for example, the dismemberment becomes random. And yet the probablities are set to 100. Are you experiencing this problem too?

Try and set g_dismemberprobabilities to 0. AFAIK this setting only tells whether to use the probabilities from the NPC files at all (in case it has a non-zero value) or to always use 100% (in case it is set to 0). At least that's what it's like in jk2sp.

• 1 month later...
I dont know about the saber, but yes there is a way to make NPCs have more health.

You open up the assests1.pk3, and go to the ext_data/npcs folder. There are all the .npc scripts, they can only be opened with notepad. Once you have opened them change the health values higher.

I tried to increase the health of the enemys, but did something wrong since the game won't start unless I took away the changes (which was easy). I have version 1.01.

I unzipped the assets1.pk3 so that I got a folder instead of just a pk3 file. After I had changed the health, I tried replacing the assets1.pk3 with the assets1 folder and see if the enemy's were harder to beat. I assumed that it wouldn't make any difference if the assets1 was a pk3 file or a folder containing the same info (was I correct about that assumption?). I didn't change anything else so i thought it would perhaps work, for once.

I then got an error message saying:

"default menu file not found: ui/menus.txt, unable to continue!"

After I put the assets1.pk3 back into the base directory, the game worked fine, but the enemys were still too easy to defeat. I searched inside the assets1 folder and found a text file that said menus (assets/ui/menus), so I don't know what the fuss was all about, but clearly there is something wrong.

I hadn't even taken a look inside the ui folder before I got this message, so how can there be something wrong about it? I hate when this happens! The computer is acting stupid. It 's like picking up a book and say that it doesn't exist.

Merely unzipping the assets1.pk3 shouldn't have messed up the contents of the assets1.pk3, so I don't know what's wrong. Is there anything I can do to fix this. I'm not a complete noob, but far from skilled.

After I had changed the health, I tried replacing the assets1.pk3 with the assets1 folder and see if the enemy's were harder to beat. I assumed that it wouldn't make any difference if the assets1 was a pk3 file or a folder containing the same info (was I correct about that assumption?).

You were wrong, it needs to be a .pk3 file.

Merely unzipping the assets1.pk3 shouldn't have messed up the contents of the assets1.pk3, so I don't know what's wrong. Is there anything I can do to fix this. I'm not a complete noob, but far from skilled.

Like Crow_Nest said earlier, make the changes to the necessary npc files and save only those files as a separate zMoreHealth.pk3 file to overwrite the original. Better to play with a few hundred kbs, instead of 600someMBs.

You were wrong, it needs to be a .pk3 file.

Like Crow_Nest said earlier, make the changes to the necessary npc files and save only those files as a separate zMoreHealth.pk3 file to overwrite the original. Better to play with a few hundred kbs, instead of 600someMBs.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I've actually managed to create a.pk3 file on my own by googling ".pk3 file". It's amazing what you can learn on the Internet. I'm quite proud of myself (which says a lot about my skill level, lol). A small step for someone who's leet, but a giant leap for a noob.

I put the zMoreHealth.pk3 into my base directory. I have it next to my assets.pk3. I started the game and didn't see any increase in the enemys' health. I have done the shortcut way to get dismember to work in JA, (set g_sabermorerealistic 2 +set g_dismemberprobabilities 200 and all that) as described in yrthwyndandfyre's post. The stormtroopers fall apart at just one swing with the saber.

Should I try to put my modified .pk3 file inside the assets.pk3? How do I do that without messing something up? I opened the assets1.pk3 file with WinRAR and tried to paste the zMoreHealth into the assets1.pk3, but when I opened the assets1.pk3 again it had not changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived